I'm in the process of making some modifications to everything.
I got sponsored by Knukonceptz so I'm modifying the slots on either side to accommodate their fuse holders and show off some wiring. I'm a details oriented guy and kind of a techie, so I love showing off nice clean wiring. This was a plan from the beginning with this install, I just didn't have a wire supplier sorted out yet.
Basically I'm widening the slots at the bottoms to accommodate these combo fuse/distro blocks. One on each side (gotta maintain symmetry lol).
I won't have access to lift the top cover off, but I can lift it high enough to slide it forward or backwards to access the fuses. This was one of the must-haves for the install; easily serviceable fusing.
This is a view from the bottom when I started pre-wiring with the modified slots:
And then a view from inside the slot showing the shape of the modification to get the fuse holder to fit:
Shortly after these last two pics were taken I got frustrated and stopped. Basically I was having issues with the carbon fiber vinyl not sticking well to the MDF around certain contours as well as some imperfections in the plexi that nobody would notice but bother me. Initially I wanted to do mostly microfiber but it wouldn't stretch around some contours.
Project is currently on temporary pause while I make up my mind on how to proceed. I bought some real carbon fiber cloth and am going to be experimenting with that for a finish. Maybe a combination of that and microfiber.