Author Topic: Spilled Paint  (Read 2763 times)

February 15, 2015, 12:54 AM #0

BZBriones Offline

  • Regular Member
  • Posts: 18
  • Join Date: Jan 2015
  • Real Name: Brent Briones
  • Vehicle: Honda Civic EK
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • BZBriones has no influence.
Hey guys, I bought a fit at the auction, and the main problem here is the spilled paint all over the dashboard and some other parts that got affected as well. Anyone knows how you can remove this? Maybe some kind of special mixture of stuff or whatever I can use? I dont know what kind of paint it is but some of it chips off as I use my fingernails and push it. I can use some sharp object and push it carefully but there are marks that are being left. Also thought of getting a new dashboard, but I'd still want to try and remove it first to save money.

    Top Tier Imports

    Spilled Paint
    « on: February 15, 2015, 12:54 AM »

    February 15, 2015, 01:26 AM #1

    CodyLoewen Offline

    • Regular Member
    • Posts: 1,062
    • Join Date: May 2013
      Location: Winnipeg
    • Real Name: Cody Loewen
    • Reputation Power: 40
    • CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...
    Originally posted by BZBriones
    Hey guys, I bought a fit at the auction, and the main problem here is the spilled paint all over the dashboard and some other parts that got affected as well. Anyone knows how you can remove this? Maybe some kind of special mixture of stuff or whatever I can use? I dont know what kind of paint it is but some of it chips off as I use my fingernails and push it. I can use some sharp object and push it carefully but there are marks that are being left. Also thought of getting a new dashboard, but I'd still want to try and remove it first to save money.

    Have you tried Turpentine?
    1999 Honda Civic

    [Feb 22 16:57:22] Shaun:i dont wanna be friends with fence posts 

    Faken:if i get this promtion.. i might get a convertible..
    Shaun:a convertible what? pen? yes this pen turns into a coupon holder.

      February 15, 2015, 08:09 AM #2

      dano Offline

      • Regular Member
      • Posts: 2,385
      • Join Date: Aug 2012
        Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
      • Real Name: Daniel G
      • Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
      • Reputation Power: 91
      • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
      Possibly use some cheap trim removal tools? Might not leave marks. Or if it does flake maybe compressed air then vacuum?
      Current Forester count: 1
      New business opening soon...

        February 15, 2015, 09:36 AM #3

        BZBriones Offline

        • Regular Member
        • Posts: 18
        • Join Date: Jan 2015
        • Real Name: Brent Briones
        • Vehicle: Honda Civic EK
        • Reputation Power: 1
        • BZBriones has no influence.
        Originally posted by CodyLoewen
        Have you tried Turpentine?

        Not familiar with turpentine. But I'll get back to this when I tried using that. Uhm any Idea where I can buy turpentine and about how much?

          February 15, 2015, 09:38 AM #4

          BZBriones Offline

          • Regular Member
          • Posts: 18
          • Join Date: Jan 2015
          • Real Name: Brent Briones
          • Vehicle: Honda Civic EK
          • Reputation Power: 1
          • BZBriones has no influence.
          Originally posted by dano
          Possibly use some cheap trim removal tools? Might not leave marks. Or if it does flake maybe compressed air then vacuum?

          I dont have any tools yet. Lol so I use what I have as of now. I'm new here in Canada so its starting all over again with everything. Hahaha. But uhm thanks for that Idea as well!

            February 15, 2015, 09:43 AM #5

            Igor Offline

            • Posts: 6,136
            • Join Date: Mar 2012
              Location: Winnipeg
            • Real Name: Igor
            • Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
            • Reputation Power: 236
            • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
            Turpentine is paint thinner but i would be hesitant to use large amounts on the dash. It may end up staining it. Maybe a steam cleaner will work?
            2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
            2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

              February 15, 2015, 09:46 AM #6

              BZBriones Offline

              • Regular Member
              • Posts: 18
              • Join Date: Jan 2015
              • Real Name: Brent Briones
              • Vehicle: Honda Civic EK
              • Reputation Power: 1
              • BZBriones has no influence.
              Originally posted by Igor
              Turpentine is paint thinner but i would be hesitant to use large amounts on the dash. It may end up staining it. Maybe a steam cleaner will work?

              Maybe I can just damp the cloth with turpentine rather than pouring it on the dash I guess? I'm afraid it might stain. I dont tbink steam cleaner will work, the paint dried and It froze because windows are broken so Im guessing it's already stuck pretty good. But the first layer chips off though

                February 15, 2015, 09:49 AM #7

                Igor Offline

                • Posts: 6,136
                • Join Date: Mar 2012
                  Location: Winnipeg
                • Real Name: Igor
                • Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                • Reputation Power: 236
                • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                If it chips off a powerful steam cleaner should be able to get some of it off. If only you could use a power washer hahaha
                2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

                  February 15, 2015, 09:51 AM #8

                  BZBriones Offline

                  • Regular Member
                  • Posts: 18
                  • Join Date: Jan 2015
                  • Real Name: Brent Briones
                  • Vehicle: Honda Civic EK
                  • Reputation Power: 1
                  • BZBriones has no influence.
                  Originally posted by Igor
                  If it chips off a powerful steam cleaner should be able to get some of it off. If only you could use a power washer hahaha

                  Only if it was that easy. Hahahaha. I'll also try the steam cleaner!

                    February 15, 2015, 11:36 AM #9

                    Miguel Offline

                    • Regular Member
                    • Posts: 927
                    • Join Date: Oct 2013
                      Location: Winnipeg
                    • Reputation Power: 74
                    • Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.
                    Not sure if this is the plan but I'd take most of it apart and out of the car to make it easier to work on, especially after scrubbing a lot. If it doesn't work, I bet you could find a new dash in a junk yard for a decent price. I share a Honda fit with my sister as a good mpg car, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. It's like driving a go-cart without much go though lol
                    #DRIVEN2017 #IMPORTSOMETHING2017      

                    [Mar 13 11:28:02] Shaun:ur gonna play 20 questions with me like that oil cap arent u

                      February 15, 2015, 12:20 PM #10

                      BZBriones Offline

                      • Regular Member
                      • Posts: 18
                      • Join Date: Jan 2015
                      • Real Name: Brent Briones
                      • Vehicle: Honda Civic EK
                      • Reputation Power: 1
                      • BZBriones has no influence.
                      Originally posted by miguel97
                      Not sure if this is the plan but I'd take most of it apart and out of the car to make it easier to work on, especially after scrubbing a lot. If it doesn't work, I bet you could find a new dash in a junk yard for a decent price. I share a Honda fit with my sister as a good mpg car, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. It's like driving a go-cart without much go though lol

                      Yeah I would do that so I get more space working on it. But if all else fails I would just eeplace the whole dash in necessary. Have any idea how much dashboards costs?

                        February 15, 2015, 01:39 PM #11

                        fruitloops Offline

                        • Regular Member
                        • Posts: 2,441
                        • Join Date: Jun 2013
                        • Reputation Power: 23
                        • fruitloops barely matters.fruitloops barely matters.
                        If you're taking it out just pressure wash it. Should work.
                        Bought, not Built.

                          February 15, 2015, 04:18 PM #12

                          Vince Offline

                          • Regular Member
                          • Posts: 5,282
                          • Join Date: Aug 2012
                            Location: Westwood
                          • Vehicle: 2012 Si
                          • Reputation Power: 169
                          • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                          Originally posted by BZBriones
                          Yeah I would do that so I get more space working on it. But if all else fails I would just eeplace the whole dash in necessary. Have any idea how much dashboards costs?
                          http://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/
                          (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

                          [May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

                            February 15, 2015, 06:15 PM #13

                            Jbrar Offline

                            • Regular Member
                            • Posts: 28
                            • Join Date: Dec 2012
                            • Reputation Power: 2
                            • Jbrar has no influence.
                            This happened so many times back when I worked at a paint store we started putting little locking clips around the lip to keep the lid on. I don't understand why people don't put paint in the trunk.

                            Maybe first figure out what kind of paint it is. If its an oil based paint, you'll probably have to use some chemicals like paint thinner like mentioned above.

                            To check: Get some rubbing alcohol (most nail polish removers should work as well), and damp a paper towel/rag. Start wiping the surface, if paint starts coming off, its latex.

                            If it was a latex interior paint, which is far more likely, you should be able to peel it off the panels with a little effort once you bring them inside for a while. I'd also try using a heat gun. If latex is thick enough, it literally peels like vinyl once you heat it up.

                            If the paint is spread really thin, soap and hot water, or you could always use rubbing alcohol.

                            If all else fails, you could pressure wash it  :trollface:

                              February 15, 2015, 11:18 PM #14

                              CFMP RAblue Offline

                              • Regular Member
                              • Posts: 4,031
                              • Join Date: Mar 2012
                                Location: Winnipeg, MB
                              • Real Name: Grant
                              • Vehicle: 09 Mits Ralliart Octane blue
                              • Reputation Power: 58
                              • CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.
                              I don't think the paint is there from an accident, it looks more like vandalism to me... As evident by the blue on the dash was splashed twice with what appears to be equal force.  😉
                              "Go Fast, Stop Fast"
                              Extreme Stop Slotted/Drilled Rotors
                              KVR Performance Slotted Rotors
                              Magnaflow CBE

                                February 15, 2015, 11:19 PM #15

                                BZBriones Offline

                                • Regular Member
                                • Posts: 18
                                • Join Date: Jan 2015
                                • Real Name: Brent Briones
                                • Vehicle: Honda Civic EK
                                • Reputation Power: 1
                                • BZBriones has no influence.
                                Originally posted by Jbrar
                                This happened so many times back when I worked at a paint store we started putting little locking clips around the lip to keep the lid on. I don't understand why people don't put paint in the trunk.

                                Maybe first figure out what kind of paint it is. If its an oil based paint, you'll probably have to use some chemicals like paint thinner like mentioned above.

                                To check: Get some rubbing alcohol (most nail polish removers should work as well), and damp a paper towel/rag. Start wiping the surface, if paint starts coming off, its latex.

                                If it was a latex interior paint, which is far more likely, you should be able to peel it off the panels with a little effort once you bring them inside for a while. I'd also try using a heat gun. If latex is thick enough, it literally peels like vinyl once you heat it up.http://apps.mpi.mb.ca/salvage/SlvgItmImg.asp?salenm=3262&itemnm=390

                                If the paint is spread really thin, soap and hot water, or you could always use rubbing alcohol.

                                If all else fails, you could pressure wash it  :trollface:

                                Thank you!! I will try this out as soon as I get my hands on the car again.

                                  February 15, 2015, 11:24 PM #16

                                  BZBriones Offline

                                  • Regular Member
                                  • Posts: 18
                                  • Join Date: Jan 2015
                                  • Real Name: Brent Briones
                                  • Vehicle: Honda Civic EK
                                  • Reputation Power: 1
                                  • BZBriones has no influence.
                                  Originally posted by CFMP RAblue
                                  I don't think the paint is there from an accident, it looks more like vandalism to me... As evident by the blue on the dash was splashed twice with what appears to be equal force.  😉

                                  Exactly my thoughts. The broken glass and windows doesnt match with the way the paints are "spilled". So I ask a friend of mine if you can selfly inflict damage on your car and report it at the insurance for whatever reason you thought of. Im new here in Canada, and technically my first car that I purchased. So Im still getting used to the system and such for how everything works. It was just really odd how the spills were. Because if it was an accident, the spill wouldnt reach the windshield area unless you got hit from the back, wherease there is no signs of damage from the rear. It was just really odd. But nevermind that. Whatever reason that was for the vandalism, I just wanna restore it and get it back up and running on the road. Hahaha

                                    February 16, 2015, 02:19 PM #17

                                    adc604 Offline

                                    • Regular Member
                                    • Posts: 94
                                    • Join Date: May 2014
                                      Location: Peg
                                    • Vehicle: 95 Subaru Legacy, 90 Toyota Hilux Surf
                                    • Reputation Power: 4
                                    • adc604 has no influence.
                                    Gonna need some more pics of this :D

                                      February 16, 2015, 04:47 PM #18

                                      Joe Offline

                                      • Posts: 780
                                      • Join Date: Oct 2012
                                        Location: Winnipeg
                                      • Real Name: Joe
                                      • Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                                      • Reputation Power: 42
                                      • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                                      I'd even be tempted to try goo gone around the edges. If it releases adhesion then it should peel off.
                                      Watch with compressed air as if it's too focused (small nozzle) it can mar up rubberized surfaces.
                                      I think most of those panels should be able to be saved, no matter the paint. It's just going to be patience and a ton of labour.
                                      I'd think it's oil/auto based as the silver seems metallic.
                                      Looking at those colors (brown, blue, silver) I'd be temped to think someone with access to auto paints did it. :(
                                      D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                                      04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                                      Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                                      http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

                                        February 16, 2015, 08:38 PM #19

                                        firelizard Offline

                                        • Posts: 2,003
                                        • Join Date: Jul 2014
                                          Location: Winnipeg
                                        • Real Name: Ty
                                        • Vehicle: UZS161
                                        • Reputation Power: 106
                                        • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                                        If you're using something that will soften solvent-based paint, you're probably going to soften your dash. Exercise caution using any sort of paint thinner on plastic or rubber because a lot of them will ruin it. Not to say that it will, but do be careful.

                                        It looks wrinkled up though, so maybe latex house paint. In that case, water and scrubbing will work, maybe even peeling it off dry.

                                        Start with the least aggressive method and work your way up until it comes off, keeping an eye on the plastics of your dash.
                                        Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:40 PM by firelizard

                                          February 16, 2015, 10:26 PM #20

                                          jordisonjr Offline

                                          • Regular Member
                                          • Posts: 6,355
                                          • Join Date: Mar 2012
                                            Location: Winnipeg
                                          • Real Name: Jordan.
                                          • Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                          • Reputation Power: 195
                                          • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                          Originally posted by BZBriones
                                          Exactly my thoughts. The broken glass and windows doesnt match with the way the paints are "spilled". So I ask a friend of mine if you can selfly inflict damage on your car and report it at the insurance for whatever reason you thought of.
                                          Technically you could do this, but its known as insurance fraud and illegal.
                                          Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                          I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )


                                          [Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

                                          [Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

                                            Top Tier Imports

                                            Spilled Paint
                                            « Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 10:26 PM »