Author Topic: WTBorrow / Rent: Detailing Tools  (Read 1801 times)

February 21, 2015, 09:51 PM #0

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
  • Reputation Power: 94
  • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
So before spring I'd like to detail my STI. It will likely need a cut. I think I'll likely only spend the time to do it once, so I'm wondering if I can borrow or rent someone's tool(s).

If you wanted to show me some tips I'd be  :banana: with that too. I'll probably be watching quite a few vids online.

After watching only a few vids I see how many tools the pros have, but I'm not looking to do a showroom finish. I think all I'd like to borrow would be a polisher, but if you have something else you think I should use, I'd be all ears.

I have a 2 car heated garage with decent lighting so if you didn't have a spot to do your car this winter / spring I'm down with that too.
Current Forester count: 1
Owner, Next Level Escapes

Top Tier Imports

WTBorrow / Rent: Detailing Tools
    « on: February 21, 2015, 09:51 PM »

February 22, 2015, 08:46 AM #1

Lou Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 Toyota 86
    • Reputation Power: 35
    • Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.
    Being silver iirc, it should be a pretty easy car to work with as scratches and dullness are not as apparent as they could be on a darker color. Are you looking for a high speed or an orbital polisher? I don't have one personally but it might help for others to know which type you want to use. Are there any major problem areas you're looking to resolve or just looking to restore some shine and remove the swirl marks?

February 22, 2015, 09:09 AM #2

dano Offline

• dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
      Originally posted by Lou
      Being silver iirc, it should be a pretty easy car to work with as scratches and dullness are not as apparent as they could be on a darker color. Are you looking for a high speed or an orbital polisher? I don't have one personally but it might help for others to know which type you want to use. Are there any major problem areas you're looking to resolve or just looking to restore some shine and remove the swirl marks?
      Well given that I don't have really anything, I'd like to borrow whatever someone will give me. As far as I can see there isn't much swirl marks, but the paint is dull, especially on the hood. A friend saw it and said "it will look much better once you get all this dust off it" and i showed him what happens when I streak my finger across it (nothing) and he said "oh...".

Given that I'm not super experienced I don't think I'd want a high-speed rotary polisher. A dual-action / orbital is probably what I'd be looking to use. But I'm open to suggestions. I'll try to take pictures of the hood later today with my better camera.

February 22, 2015, 12:50 PM #3

almondsmk3 Offline

• Vehicle: 97' jetta
        • Reputation Power: 6
        • almondsmk3 has no influence.
        Check out Larry Kosilla, he has a channel on youtube aimed towards the DIY'ers and goes into insane detail on things every car guy should know when it comes to detailing, he is incredibly smart and knows his stuff. His channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdo

He's also got an extention of DRIVE/ on youtube called drive/clean. very valuable information that man has ^^

February 22, 2015, 12:56 PM #4

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
          • Reputation Power: 20
          • cluelessk barely matters.cluelessk barely matters.
          Detailing tools and materials are pretty pricey I don't know if anyone would just borrow or rent them out.
          [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

February 22, 2015, 01:14 PM #5

BenzAMG Offline

• Vehicle: 2016 Mercedes-AMG C63 S
            • Reputation Power: 21
            • BenzAMG barely matters.BenzAMG barely matters.
            Dano i'll give you a hand with this, although im not sure if i'll have my car back by then. but i'll still give you a hand. I've got basically everything you'd need to polish a car, minus a strong polishing compound, i've got a light and medium compound but i'd have to see the scratches to know if its enough to get it out. lmk if you'd like my help!

edit: i'll also do it for free lol
            The Mint Man

1985 Corolla GTS - RIP
            1990 CRX Si - Sold
            2012 WRX STI - Sold

February 22, 2015, 01:29 PM #6

dano Offline

Originally posted by almondsmk3
              Check out Larry Kosilla, he has a channel on youtube aimed towards the DIY'ers and goes into insane detail on things every car guy should know when it comes to detailing, he is incredibly smart and knows his stuff. His channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdo

He's also got an extention of DRIVE/ on youtube called drive/clean. very valuable information that man has ^^

Thanks dude. He was one of the video series that I had already paid attention to. Great info with a great production value videos.

Originally posted by cluelessk
              Detailing tools and materials are pretty pricey I don't know if anyone would just borrow or rent them out.

Yeah, I'm not looking for someone's pro tools, especially if its their living or side job.

I was looking for someone who had bought the stuff and knows how to use it but it might sit in their garage for the winter not doing anything. And I'm not trying to mooch off someone, it just doesn't make sense for me to buy everything new for this one use.

Originally posted by SubieSTI
              Dano i'll give you a hand with this, although im not sure if i'll have my car back by then. but i'll still give you a hand. I've got basically everything you'd need to polish a car, minus a strong polishing compound, i've got a light and medium compound but i'd have to see the scratches to know if its enough to get it out. lmk if you'd like my help!

edit: i'll also do it for free lol

Sounds great, you are now pm'ed!

February 22, 2015, 01:36 PM #7

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                • Reputation Power: 20
                • cluelessk barely matters.cluelessk barely matters.
                Didn't mean to sound like a dick.

Looks like you found exactly what you were looking for though.
                [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

February 22, 2015, 06:07 PM #8

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                  • Reputation Power: 247
                  • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                  You could also take it to Rebirth and have it done professionally
                  2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                  2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

February 22, 2015, 07:58 PM #9

Banman Offline

• Vehicle: N/A
                    • Reputation Power: 1
                    • Banman has no influence.
                    Originally posted by Igor
                    X2

I work/worked at rebirth and can tell you quality work we do is amazing. If you're not looking for a professional grade job, maybe try to read up, ask people questions and watch videos to see how you can do it at home

February 22, 2015, 09:24 PM #10

dano Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                      Originally posted by Banman
                      X2

I work/worked at rebirth and can tell you quality work we do is amazing. If you're not looking for a professional grade job, maybe try to read up, ask people questions and watch videos to see how you can do it at home

I took the Forester when it came in to @Josh . I could see how much of a difference it made, but I'd like to try my hand at doing some entry-mid level detailing. I know Rebirth is close, and depending on the outcome may take there still. We will see how it goes.

Top Tier Imports

WTBorrow / Rent: Detailing Tools
                        « Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 09:24 PM »