Author Topic: how do i put insurance on my new car when its in Ontario before it gets freight  (Read 2607 times)

March 31, 2015, 01:12 PM #0

grease monkey Offline

• Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • grease monkey has no influence.
I just bought my second car it is a 1992 Nissan skyline its getting freighted to Winnipeg by truck from Ontario. Does anyone know how i put a temporary insurance on it before so that if something happens to it while it sitting on the street at my uncles before the truck comes and someone side swipes it or something i am covered?

thanks matt

Top Tier Imports

March 31, 2015, 01:15 PM #1

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
    • Reputation Power: 80
    • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
    when I went to pick up my skyline in Vancouver I went to mpi with a copy of the bc safety, import papers and bill of sale stating that I was the buyer, they had no issue giving me a temporary permit to drive the car home.  If you have all the paperwork for the car, and even if you don't have whoever you are buying from fax you copies of the documents you need.  Shouldn't be much issue beyond that.... based off of my personal experience.
    have things changed now?
    [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
    95 GTR- SOLD
    03 RSX-S - SOLD
    08 G6- wrekt
    10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

March 31, 2015, 01:18 PM #2

grease monkey Offline

Originally posted by DonR
      when I went to pick up my skyline in Vancouver I went to mpi with a copy of the bc safety, import papers and bill of sale stating that I was the buyer, they had no issue giving me a temporary permit to drive the car home.  If you have all the paperwork for the car, and even if you don't have whoever you are buying from fax you copies of the documents you need.  Shouldn't be much issue beyond that.... based off of my personal experience.
      have things changed now?

That's perfect thanks a bunch! 

March 31, 2015, 01:23 PM #3

grease monkey Offline

Originally posted by grease monkey
        That's perfect thanks a bunch! 

@DonR out of your judgement would you ship it by truck or train?

March 31, 2015, 02:15 PM #4

DonR Offline

• DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
          Truck would be more $$$ 
          train is probably more commonly used, I have heard some horror stories but all I have is speculation to how either works.
          no real personal experience with either method.

there's the option of renting a trailer to pick it up yourself too if you have the time. <- least risk[in my opinion]   and costs vary depending where you rent the trailer. & depending if you have a truck.
          [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
          95 GTR- SOLD
          03 RSX-S - SOLD
          08 G6- wrekt
          10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

March 31, 2015, 02:16 PM #5

DonR Offline

89 240SX- SOLD
            95 GTR- SOLD
            03 RSX-S - SOLD
            08 G6- wrekt
            10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

March 31, 2015, 02:42 PM #6

John Offline

• Vehicle: 04 civic, 09 STi
              • Reputation Power: 101
              • John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.
              hey! I did this before. pm me if you have any question.
              subies ftw!

[Dec 04 11:42:55] Shaun:i tried using nav to get to dan's logic but i got lost
              [Dec 05 21:53:59] Uncle Hugh Myron:I dunno but an easy way to kill Dan would be shutting down mcdonalds for 24 hours

April 01, 2015, 08:48 AM #7

seanf Offline

• Vehicle: 4 Audis and a Cavalier
                • Reputation Power: 15
                • seanf has no influence.
                as long as you have a bill of sale with the car in your name you can take out a temp tag for it. Just take the bill to any autopac place and get a temp tag for it.

April 01, 2015, 08:56 AM #8

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
                  • Reputation Power: 108
                  • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                  Bill of sale AND title/registration!

Top Tier Imports