Author Topic: Accident headache.  (Read 4937 times)

May 21, 2015, 02:56 PM #25

Lowridah Offline

• Vehicle: 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT-P
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • Lowridah barely matters.Lowridah barely matters.
make sure in the end he pays your court fees.  Never been to small claims but by the sounds of it he is wrongfully accusing.  Sounds like a very misinformed person.

Top Tier Imports

Accident headache.
    « Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 02:56 PM »

May 21, 2015, 11:34 PM #26

SlamdxB Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Scion xB, 1992 MR2 2.0L T
    • Reputation Power: 2
    • SlamdxB has no influence.
    I actually got another call later today from MPI saying that I am no longer required to pay the deductible! So now I just hope I don't get served and all will be well. Thanks for all the responses  :). I'll keep posting if anything else happens.

May 22, 2015, 07:30 AM #27

bobjacobson Offline

• Reputation Power: 3
      • bobjacobson has no influence.
      Originally posted by SlamdxB
      I actually got another call later today from MPI saying that I am no longer required to pay the deductible! So now I just hope I don't get served and all will be well. Thanks for all the responses  :). I'll keep posting if anything else happens.
      You wont im sure that guy was just yelling at MPI on the phone saying hes going to sue everyone.

Glad everything worked out in the end. Too bad it had to cause so much stress.

May 22, 2015, 08:51 AM #28

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
        • Reputation Power: 41
        • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
        Happy to hear this was resolved properly, sucks that it has to be this hard.
        '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
        '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
        '04 Lexus GX470

May 25, 2015, 06:10 PM #29

Murphenur Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Audi S6
          • Reputation Power: 15
          • Murphenur has no influence.
          just get your story documented, and get everything from MPI in writing and save it for a few years, hell put your statement on Top Tier, lol.

In Manitoba he can make a court action upto 2 years from the date of the incident.  So just have that in your back pocket.

1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon

2007 Audi S6

1959 Mercedes Benz 180D

1980 Honda CX 500 Cafe

Sponsored by your mom and dad

scrapesloths

June 24, 2015, 05:38 PM #30

DerpWheelDrive Offline

• Vehicle: '04 G35
            • Reputation Power: 1
            • DerpWheelDrive has no influence.
            Originally posted by carterjalil
            Mighty Power Insurance do whatever they want even though they know its not fair..
            They gave a buddy $7,000 for a car he bought at $12,000 just 6 months ago.
            They told him to bring for sale ads showing cars similar to his to prove the actual price..which he did and they still ended up giving him 7gs.
            You still have the right to fight this,,like the mikewoo said maybe ask for another adjuster..good luck nonetheless

Wow, that would *really* piss me off.  Was he able to fight it?

The guy I recently bought my car from offered to write a lower amount on the BoS than the agreed purchase price (to reduce the PST), but I declined so I could be honest about it.

For that, and the exorbitant costs we pay ScaMPI, I expect much better service and returns.

EDIT: SlamdxB, glad things went your way, as they should.  Just in case this genius does serve you, track and record every possible expense related to the proceedings so you have something to show for a countersuit.
            Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:11 PM by DerpWheelDrive

June 24, 2015, 06:20 PM #31

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
              • Reputation Power: 19
              • cluelessk has no influence.
              Originally posted by DerpWheelDrive

The guy I recently bought my car from offered to write a lower amount on the BoS than the agreed purchase price (to reduce the PST), but I declined so I could be honest about it.

For that, and the exorbitant costs we pay ScaMPI, I expect much better service and returns.

EDIT: SlamdxB, glad things went your way, as they should.  Just in case this genius does serve you, track and record every possible expense related to the proceedings so you have something to show for a countersuit.

Pretty sure you pay book value for PST so bill of sale price means nothing.

Also MPI coverage is cheap as hell for most vehicles. Ever pay for private insurance as a male under the age of 25?
              Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:15 PM by cluelessk
              [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

June 24, 2015, 07:07 PM #32

IanB Offline

• IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                Originally posted by cluelessk

Also MPI coverage is cheap as hell for most vesicles. Ever pay for private insurance as a male under the age of 25?

Book value or bill of sale value, whichever is HIGHER is what you pay taxes on.
                '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                '04 Lexus GX470

June 24, 2015, 07:37 PM #33

Nhil Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Honda S2000
                  • Reputation Power: 90
                  • Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!

Lol, I invite you to try and insure a vehicle in a province with private insurance. You'll see what's exorbitant.
                  [Mar 02 10:56:01] TwoFourDee:..ever
                  [Mar 02 10:55:59] TwoFourDee:nobody quote me on that
                  [Mar 02 10:55:56] TwoFourDee:I actually like those rotas

June 24, 2015, 07:43 PM #34

bobjacobson Offline

Originally posted by Nhil
                    Lol, I invite you to try and insure a vehicle in a province with private insurance. You'll see what's exorbitant.
                    Yeah after moving here from Ontario, MPI has been a pleasure to deal with.

June 24, 2015, 10:07 PM #35

ACiFiC Offline

• Vehicle: x2 Eunos
                      • Reputation Power: 85
                      • ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.
                      Originally posted by Nhil

please show me what is exorbitant
                      Originally posted by Winter Beater
                      If a car is shows that a solid effort was made, and the car is reasonably well executed I can respect that. Even if it's not my cup of tea..

June 25, 2015, 07:39 PM #36

SlamdxB Offline

Got a text from this guy the other day asking me for my information because "he wants to take me to court".
                        I think it might just be poorly planned scare tactics as I'm pretty sure he has to go through the insurance to do that. Just ignored him and entered his number in my contact list as "Dickhead who hit me" so I know to ignore the number if he tries calling me.
                        I no longer feel any remorse in the fact that he'll probably have to pay the cost of my repair. **Yeah, just paint the whole car, put it on my tab**

June 25, 2015, 08:41 PM #37

bobjacobson Offline

Originally posted by SlamdxB
                          Got a text from this guy the other day asking me for my information because "he wants to take me to court".
                          I think it might just be poorly planned scare tactics as I'm pretty sure he has to go through the insurance to do that. Just ignored him and entered his number in my contact list as "Dickhead who hit me" so I know to ignore the number if he tries calling me.
                          I no longer feel any remorse in the fact that he'll probably have to pay the cost of my repair. **Yeah, just paint the whole car, put it on my tab**
                          Yeah thats not how it works haha. Ignore him if he is taking you to court you will get served papers.

June 25, 2015, 11:20 PM #38

DerpWheelDrive Offline

• Vehicle: '04 G35
                            • Reputation Power: 1
                            • DerpWheelDrive has no influence.
                            Originally posted by cluelessk

MPI charged me tax on the larger of the two.

Coincidentally, the "lowered" price he offered to write up was almost the same as the book value that MPI gave me.  I'm thinking he looked it up beforehand.

Quote (selected)
                            Ever pay for private insurance as a male under the age of 25?
                            Only for about 6 years.

Quote (selected)
                            "Dickhead who hit me"

If you have an Android phone.
                            Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:27 PM by DerpWheelDrive

June 26, 2015, 11:35 AM #39

carterjalil Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Maxima SV - Sport
                              • Reputation Power: 29
                              • carterjalil barely matters.carterjalil barely matters.

After weeks of fighting he ended up accepting 8500..it was kind of a take it or leave it

June 26, 2015, 11:39 AM #40

carterjalil Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Maxima SV - Sport
                                • Reputation Power: 29
                                • carterjalil barely matters.carterjalil barely matters.
                                Originally posted by bobjacobson
                                Yeah after moving here from Ontario, MPI has been a pleasure to deal with.
                                I find that Quebec wasn't too bad, and you could always switch if you were not happy with the service. True Manitoba is lower than most places but dealing with a company that has the monopoly can make you feel pretty trapped at times

June 30, 2015, 02:22 PM #41

Autter Offline

• Reputation Power: 36
                                  • Autter is working their way up.Autter is working their way up.Autter is working their way up.
                                  Glad to hear everything was resolved, was about to chime in!

If he files for small claims, you're looking at October for a court date.
                                  [Dec 23 10:24:37] Ctown8:i was hanging out with this girl named autumn last night, and i kept calling her autter by accident. she was like what the heck lol

Igor [May 09, 09:58:01 AM]:   silly people, ikea is for furniture not car meets

September 15, 2015, 08:58 PM #42

SlamdxB Offline

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH.

Ok so updat0e.
                                    Got served, he's suing me.

Here's where it gets ****ty, he texted me asking me for my contact info so that he could sue me.
                                    Thought this was a scare tactic (as did everyone I told) therefore I didn't think much of it.
                                    Got a tracked letter in the mail from a PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR. I didn't realize it was from them until it was too late and I had signed for the letter (I was expecting something I bought online so I didn't think twice about what the letter was).

SO... He's suing me for his deductable of $200 plus other fees (I'm assuming that means the cost of the Private investigator).
                                    The date is November 27, and I fully intend on showing up as I can't see why I would lose.

The questions I have, if anyone knows, are the following:
                                    -Do I have to lawyer up? Do people bring a lawyer in small claims or is it just us two in front of a judge?
                                    -Do you think this is just a further scare tactic? I know that if I decide it's just not worth it and I don't dispute the claim, I just pay up and this goes away. I'm wondering if by some chance he's counting on it not being worth my time? If I respond right away saying I'll show up do you think he'll cancel the claim? (if you can even do that).
                                    -The claim papers I got have the wrong license plate number (EPP231 instead of FPP231), is it like a ticket from a police officer where something like that is grounds for dismissal or no?
                                    -Final question, should I counter sue this guy? He's going to end up costing me a day and a whole mess of stress. Is it worth it and do I even have grounds for it?

Totally wrecked my month. That money was budgeted for a new power steering rack for my MR2 project.
                                    Dash cam is ordered and on it's way, hopefully nothing like this happens again but if it does, I'll be prepared!

Thanks in advance for your input.

September 16, 2015, 11:34 AM #43

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
                                      • Reputation Power: 67
                                      • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
                                      I'd show up, and I would raise the conflicts he's caused. For you, and for MPI.

Driving without insurance.
                                      Causing an accident.
                                      Lieing about the scenario.
                                      And now sueing you for.. him being in the wrong?

I'm not sure how counter sueing works, but I would be like "Look, this is what he did. This is what MPI found. This is what MPI declared a fair result because HE was 100% in the wrong, not bothering with the fact that he had no insurance at the time of the accident. What exactly am I being sued for? Being hit with another persons vehicle and letting the provinces insurance professionals handle it"

September 16, 2015, 01:08 PM #44

Time Lord Online

• Vehicle: Audi
                                        • Time Lord has no influence.
                                        I was under the impression that the MPI no fault system outlawed law suits.

September 16, 2015, 01:23 PM #45

Autter Offline

• Autter is working their way up.Autter is working their way up.Autter is working their way up.
                                          Originally posted by Time Lord
                                          I was under the impression that the MPI no fault system outlawed law suits.
                                          Cant sue for bodily injury.

I've been to small claims, I didn't lawyer up. And it was for more than $200.

Just bring all your paper evidence, explain to them what happened and MPI has already ruled him at fault. No reason you'll have to cough up his deductible.

As for counter sue. I've never been on that side of the fence,  you have an option on the serve I believe and you bring that down to the law courts. Before the court date.
                                          And if you honestly think it's worth counter suing, then by all means. But will lost wages be worth it?
                                          [Dec 23 10:24:37] Ctown8:i was hanging out with this girl named autumn last night, and i kept calling her autter by accident. she was like what the heck lol

September 16, 2015, 01:30 PM #46

Time Lord Online

• Vehicle: Audi
                                            • Time Lord has no influence.
                                            Originally posted by autter

Just bring all your paper evidence, explain to them what happened and MPI has already ruled him at fault. No reason you'll have to cough up his deductible.

I thought the guy didn't have insurance? MPI will be after him to pay for the damage to your car - that's what he must be trying to avoid. How much was the claim?

September 16, 2015, 01:42 PM #47

IanB Offline

I think it's like $50 to file in small claims court, and he's not getting that back if he withdraws the claim, so I'd say not a scare tactic, he's just crazy. 

Be prepared to have this guy try everything in his power to get the court on his side.  Dress nice for court.  Bring all your evidence, know all your evidence, and be organized.  Don't get emotional, try and come across as the mature, rational one and hope the guy that hit you comes across as a lunatic.  Your image will go a long way here.  Crazy that you're getting dragged through all this over getting hit by an uninsured driver.

I can't really comment on counter-suing, no personal experience there.
                                              '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                              '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                                              '04 Lexus GX470

September 16, 2015, 02:16 PM #48

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
                                                • Reputation Power: 67
                                                • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
                                                Originally posted by autter
                                                Cant sue for bodily injury.

I've been to small claims, I didn't lawyer up. And it was for more than $200.

As for counter sue. I've never been on that side of the fence,  you have an option on the serve I believe and you bring that down to the law courts. Before the court date.
                                                And if you honestly think it's worth counter suing, then by all means. But will lost wages be worth it?

We're you sued for parking in spots you're not allowed to park in!?

JKJK
                                                That's crazy. Court scares me.

I think counter sueing is worth it. He's gonna be there anyways. Sue him for the lost wages from having to go there and put up with his crap.

September 16, 2015, 02:40 PM #49

Autter Offline

Originally posted by Time Lord
                                                  I thought the guy didn't have insurance? MPI will be after him to pay for the damage to your car - that's what he must be trying to avoid. How much was the claim?

He wasn't insured, but I believe he had to pay Josh's deductible, then MPI will sue him for the damages. At least I think that's how it goes.

Originally posted by JayPe3
                                                  We're you sued for parking in spots you're not allowed to park in!?

JKJK
                                                  That's crazy. Court scares me.

I think counter sueing is worth it. He's gonna be there anyways. Sue him for the lost wages from having to go there and put up with his crap.

You're so funny!!!

No, I was the claimant.

Yes, it's $50, so I don't know why he'd waste money. :lol: But he is.

Top Tier Imports

Accident headache.
                                                    « Reply #49 on: September 16, 2015, 02:40 PM »