Author Topic: DIY: "Ice box" for DC integras  (Read 827 times)

May 19, 2015, 10:31 PM #0

typeR_050 Offline

• Vehicle: 1999 Acura Integra Type R
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • typeR_050 has no influence.
I wanted to get rid of my aem CAI, I never had the fastening hardware and the intake would create allot of vibration, I also had a velocity stack at the end of it, and with the big air filter that goes over it and my car being low, there were rubbing issues.

I really like the ct engineering (formerly comptech) ice box intakes, it has the benefits of a CAI with the benefit of having a short ram design as well so there is good low to mid range power as well.

I decided to make my own intake similar to the ct icebox using a mix and match of OEM and aftermarket parts that I already had.

Parts needed:
-oem 94-01 air box
-OEM resonator
-air filter (OEM can be used, but some type of performance air filter is a good idea, k&n drop in, ct engineering, generic 3" performance air filter)
-3" intake arm, you can get creative and use whatever u can find, thin PVC piping, any aftermarket integra short ram, (pipe will most likely have to be cut and trimmed)
-3" velocity stack
-6 hose clamps
-3 silicon couplers

Disconnect battery

1. Using a sawz all, I cut the factory resonator box to get to the snorkel inside it.

2. Once the snorkel is freed, you will have to make a cut in the tube in order to turn the snorkel so that it's facing forward when driving, use a coupler and 2 hose clamps to keep it in place.

3. Attach 3" velocity stack to the end of the snorkel, I used gorilla glue and it's held up great.

4. Open up the OEM airbox, once open you will need to separate the air filter from its elbow piece, the elbow piece will be needed.

5. Once you have the elbow separate you will need to connect it to the aftermarket air filter, either by pulling the air filter over the elbow, or by inserting it into the elbow, I did the latter and sealed it with gorilla glue.

6. My air filter wouldn't fit perfectly into the OEM airbox, my filter was slightly too wide, so I shaved the inside of the box slightly with a dremel. A k&n drop in or ct engineering would work perfect also, but my goal was to do this all without spending money, so I shaved the airbox.

7. Lastly the intake arm needs to be sorted out, I cut my aem CAI to fit, generic eBay intakes could be used, an OEM intake arm can be used, but the only one I would use is an itr one, it's 3" in diameter (largest of all integra intake arms) but they aren't readily available and are expensive, Even when I bought my itr it didn't have the factory intake arm, but my aem CAI was specifically for an itr so the intake pipe diameter is 3", I decided to cut my aem CAI and use it with this system.

8. Connect intake arm to throttle body using a coupler and 2 hose clamps.

9. Secure the snorkel to the body of the car, I used zip ties, they are low and under everything so it's not visible, I will find a better solution in the future though.

10. Connect battery and start car and let idle for a few mins so it can re calibrate.

Im happy with the end result, car sounds and feels stock until I hammer it, and overall the motor runs much smoother.

** I made a duct to feed fresh air to the velocity stack using a spare corner light, I marked out the area around the side of the corner light, I made sure to leave the 1157 bulb and it's housing sealed, so the bulb won't ever get wet or have contact with the elements, I did have to sacrifice the housing area for the small 168 bulb, it doesn't flash so I was OK with not having the bulb there.

I realize it's illegal not having the bulb in place but I made it knowing that I will eventually track my car, also the small lil light isn't very noticeable.**

All in all I'm very happy with the results, and price was zero dollars, because I had all the tools and material.

Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:16 PM by Ænimal

Top Tier Imports

DIY: "Ice box" for DC integras
    « on: May 19, 2015, 10:31 PM »

June 19, 2015, 06:52 PM #1

typeR_050 Offline

• Vehicle: 1999 Acura Integra Type R
    • Reputation Power: 3
    • typeR_050 has no influence.
    Small update, I bought a used top zero power chamber intake and air filter, I had to cut 2.5" of the end of the intake to get it to the correct length needed to fit with the OEM air box, the 3" filter fit perfectly over the OEM filter neck and clamped down, I'm very happy with this setup, I am still waiting for my ct engineering filter to arrive, I'll post pics of it when it gets here, until then I really like the top zero filter.

These are the mock up pics, the air box lid fit perfectly and everything buttoned up nicely. I haven't even really driven the car yet to see if I can tell any difference in performance, I'm sure there isn't much difference, I bought the intake to spruce up my engine bay, the cut up aem cai was ugly, the top zero intake just needs a good polish, but definitely looks good in the bay.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:14 PM by Ænimal

Top Tier Imports

DIY: "ice box" for DC integras
      « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 06:52 PM »