Author Topic: Noob question  (Read 940 times)

June 01, 2015, 11:10 PM #0

Tyler Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 rsx type s
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Tyler has no influence.
So long story short i bought my car, switched to aftermarket suspension(hsd) but didnt do any camber adjustments just the natural camber and had an alignment shortly after. Now i switched back to my stock suspension.

- The car drives good if im just cruising at any speed without touching the steering wheel.
-braking is good
- when giving gas from a stop i can feel the car move to one side a bit
-when turning the wheel full rotation i feel the front end buckle or "shimmy"
- when i go over a bump i can feel the suspension have a minor shake and the steering wheel moves a bit(minor resistance)

would an alignment fix this problem? or would it be due to the install? or something else?

I know ur suppose to get an alignment after messing with any suspension parts but just curious if this is normal

Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:14 AM by Tyler

Top Tier Imports

Noob question
    « on: June 01, 2015, 11:10 PM »

June 02, 2015, 08:47 AM #1

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
    • Reputation Power: 353
    • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
    Yes you should get an alignment, bad toe will also kill your tires real quick. Also double check all bolts and the top hat bolts are tight.

June 02, 2015, 08:56 AM #2

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
      • Reputation Power: 80
      • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
      it's pretty normal for a front wheel drive vehicle to pull to one side when giving gas from a stop, depending on how hard on the gas you are you'll notice it more.
      and like Shaun mentioned above double check bolts and check out your alignment. 
      how much mileage is on the stock set up? still original strut mounts? 
      after replacing my strut mounts I eliminated some noise and some vibration.
      [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
      95 GTR- SOLD
      03 RSX-S - SOLD
      08 G6- wrekt
      10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

June 02, 2015, 11:40 AM #3

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
        • Reputation Power: 173
        • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by DonR
        it's pretty normal for a front wheel drive vehicle to pull to one side when giving gas from a stop, depending on how hard on the gas you are you'll notice it more.
        Any idea what causes that shimmy? My car does the same thing, but i've never really given it much thought. I vaguely recal reading something about poly inserts in motor mounts fixing this? (I could be completely wrong, terrible memory)
        Originally posted by Madbuzz41
        I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

June 02, 2015, 01:30 PM #4

Tyler Offline

Originally posted by DonR

90k km on stock coilovers. I just measured each side from the ground to fender and each side was different.

65 1/2 inches
          67,  inches
          67 1/2, inches
          66 1/2 inches

I put my stock back in for a first time so iunno if i didnt do something right?

June 02, 2015, 05:20 PM #5

STI LOL Offline

• Vehicle: truck.
            • Reputation Power: 7
            • STI LOL has no influence.
            "stock coilovers"?

Stock suspension back on? EVERY TIME you touch your suspension even to raise and lower just half inch it will throw the alignment out. Suspensions nature is to camber itself the lower it goes (aka regular driving over a bump) So when you lower your cars height, it will reenact "going over a bump" and camber itself. toe and caster also change dramatically when you alter the height and this is what wears tires the fastest. you altered the suspension geometry and all depending on how the suspension was built (ball joint location and such.. ) this will all determine how much your alignment will change. What you're gunna want to do, lift the tire off the ground, grab it at 9-3 and wiggle it.. if you don't have play that a good thing. tighten all the nuts and bolts and re check them again before you bring it in for an alignment (they get mad if they have to do the work all for you) and get it done. don't be cheap. you save 120 for an alignment now and it will cost you 800+ on rubbers very quickly.

Double check everything is tight, and bring it in. DONE

June 02, 2015, 05:55 PM #6

Tyler Offline

Originally posted by STI LOL
              "stock coilovers"?

Stock suspension back on? EVERY TIME you touch your suspension even to raise and lower just half inch it will throw the alignment out. Suspensions nature is to camber itself the lower it goes (aka regular driving over a bump) So when you lower your cars height, it will reenact "going over a bump" and camber itself. toe and caster also change dramatically when you alter the height and this is what wears tires the fastest. you altered the suspension geometry and all depending on how the suspension was built (ball joint location and such.. ) this will all determine how much your alignment will change. What you're gunna want to do, lift the tire off the ground, grab it at 9-3 and wiggle it.. if you don't have play that a good thing. tighten all the nuts and bolts and re check them again before you bring it in for an alignment (they get mad if they have to do the work all for you) and get it done. don't be cheap. you save 120 for an alignment now and it will cost you 800+ on rubbers very quickly.

Double check everything is tight, and bring it in. DONE

Yeah im bringing it to my family mechanic tmrw i just wanted some input before i bring it in. Thxs

June 03, 2015, 10:32 AM #7

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
                • Reputation Power: 80
                • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
                Originally posted by jordisonjr
                Any idea what causes that shimmy? My car does the same thing, but i've never really given it much thought. I vaguely recal reading something about poly inserts in motor mounts fixing this? (I could be completely wrong, terrible memory)
                couldn't tell you just based off of description, if I felt it I might have a better idea.
                motor mounts can cause the pull from side to side though as well.  Would pull to one side on accel and the opposite side on decel.  That would mostly be noticeable on transaxle/FWD vehicles.  could get some vibration depending how bad the mount is.
                Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:17 PM by DonR
                [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
                95 GTR- SOLD
                03 RSX-S - SOLD
                08 G6- wrekt
                10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

Top Tier Imports

Noob question
                  « Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 10:32 AM »