Author Topic: XM Radio - poor reception in downtown area  (Read 3898 times)

June 02, 2015, 08:16 PM #0

the_mog Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Infiniti G35x
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • the_mog has no influence.
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has issues with XM radio reception in the downtown area?

I know there's lots of tall buildings, overhead walkways, etc that tend to interfere with the satellite signal. Just trying to find out if it's just my unit (factory installed) or if everyone has this problem.

Mainly between Memorial and the Portage/Main intersection I notice is the worst loss of signal. Oddly enough it seemed to get worse as we got later into Spring/Summer so I'm wondering if atmospheric conditions are part of this? I don't recall it being this bad last year, but then again I wasn't listening to the XM as much last year either.
I also seem to get sporadic interference when traveling east / west on any route, not so much north / south.

Maybe I need XM to re-sync my radio? (I notice you can do this online).

Gord

Top Tier Imports

XM Radio - poor reception in downtown area
    « on: June 02, 2015, 08:16 PM »

June 02, 2015, 08:17 PM #1

Anne Goose Offline

• Reputation Power: 42
    • Anne Goose might someday be someone...Anne Goose might someday be someone...Anne Goose might someday be someone...Anne Goose might someday be someone...
    Honestly just lately i have been getting really bad interference near the airport that i didn't get previously.
    [Dec 08 16:45:00] Adomp:do I talk to autter about that? I thought she was the person to speak about the UHL
    [Dec 08 16:44:39] Adomp:is there a an Ugly Hockey League? event like this wont happen again.

June 02, 2015, 11:00 PM #2

Adomp Offline

• Vehicle: BMW E36
      • Reputation Power: 31
      • Adomp is working their way up.Adomp is working their way up.Adomp is working their way up.
      Originally posted by Anne Gus
      Honestly just lately i have been getting really bad interference near the airport that i didn't get previously.

illuminati
      [May 03 15:40:09] Uncle Hugh Myron:when 10 asians come at me with weapons i just get on my knees and start sucking their dicks

[Dec 10 16:08:15] Shaun:if u put adom in a cold tub it turns into a hot tub

[Dec 18 12:21:50] Nirusan:ya right
      [Dec 18 12:21:49] Nirusan:lmao adomp coming to a tti  event

June 02, 2015, 11:56 PM #3

Shier Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 STI -- RIP 2011 Genesis Coupe
        • Reputation Power: 56
        • Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.
        Downtown I used to have kinda crap reception on my xm. Haven't had it for a while though
        It will never have enough power until I can spin all four wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear.

June 03, 2015, 09:08 AM #4

carterjalil Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Maxima SV - Sport
          • Reputation Power: 29
          • carterjalil barely matters.carterjalil barely matters.
          Cineplex polo park area for me...everywhere else works fine

June 03, 2015, 09:13 AM #5

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
            • Reputation Power: 370
            • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
            Only time I lose signal is in my garage or underground parkade.

June 03, 2015, 10:21 AM #6

Nirusan Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 BMW M2, 2015 Audi S3
              • Reputation Power: 217
              • Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!
              Originally posted by Shaun
              Only time I lose signal is in my garage or underground parkade.

Same here.

What kind of unit are you using OP? Is the module built into the car or one of those "aftermarket" plug and play devices?
              [Sep 03 10:56:42] Faken:I wanna be on autters whorefax... Gonna write her off
              [Sep 03 11:06:48] Faken:If I stuck my pee pee into 100 girls from africa.. I think it will make a difference if u want to sleep with me.
              [Oct 15 19:20:41] Adomp:id eat my own ass out than eat famous daves

June 03, 2015, 12:40 PM #7

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                • Reputation Power: 19
                • cluelessk has no influence.
                Mine used to never cut out downtown but now anytime I'm directly north to a building it cuts out.
                [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

June 05, 2015, 10:32 PM #8

the_mog Offline

Originally posted by Nirusan
                  Same here.

What kind of unit are you using OP? Is the module built into the car or one of those "aftermarket" plug and play devices?

Original factory deck with built in XM. I'm thinking this is either an atmospheric thing (used to get DTV satellite blips at certain times of the year) or XM has messed around with their satellite footprint. Kinda relieved it's not just my radio, but it's annoying to say the least since I like to listen to talk radio on the way to work and it gets ruined during my trip through downtown. Could change my route I suppose but point is why should I?

I'm thinking of trying a re-hit online just for kicks and see if it clears it up but I kinda doubt this will solve the issue. It just started up in the late spring so that's why I'm thinking atmosphere or a footprint change on XMs part is the problem.

Gord

June 06, 2015, 09:10 AM #9

kaynoga Offline

• Vehicle: 2015 Subaru BRZ
                    • Reputation Power: 3
                    • kaynoga has no influence.
                    I don't listen to it often (as it's just a free preview) but I was having the same issues with losing signal downtown between Portage/Main and broadway. It kept cutting in and out for that stretch, after that I just switched to regular radio.

June 06, 2015, 10:43 PM #10

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                      • Reputation Power: 370
                      • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                      I just noticed yesterday I lost signal going down Portage. Weird!

June 09, 2015, 01:20 PM #11

CFMP RAblue Offline

• Vehicle: 09 Mits Ralliart Octane blue
                        • Reputation Power: 58
                        • CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.
                        I have a 2015 Ram 1500 (the wifes) with XM and driving down portage the other day it went out a number of times, its been a bit spotty lately too driving around town.
                        "Go Fast, Stop Fast"
                        Extreme Stop Slotted/Drilled Rotors
                        KVR Performance Slotted Rotors
                        Magnaflow CBE

June 12, 2015, 03:32 PM #12

Lowridah Offline

• Vehicle: 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT-P
                          • Reputation Power: 22
                          • Lowridah barely matters.Lowridah barely matters.
                          Sorry to revive this but to utilize this you need LOS with the satellite.  If anything gets between your vehicle and the sat you will lose signal (solid objects)  Just they way she goes.

There is apparently also an issue with the sat antennas.  Some people swap and it works fine.

XM also has terrestial routers which will if installed boost/redirect signal in tunnels/cities etc ... complex system but to ease some minds Id either swap antenna or hope its just buildings interupting signal.  95% of the satellites utilized are equator oriented so mainly check what is to your immediate south when signal cuts out.

Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:35 PM by Lowridah

June 12, 2015, 03:59 PM #13

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
                            • Reputation Power: 94
                            • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
                            I was supposed to be on a free trial until August and it magically cut out a couple of weeks ago ...
                            Current Forester count: 1
                            Owner, Next Level Escapes

June 13, 2015, 10:48 PM #14

cluelessk Offline

Originally posted by dano
                              I was supposed to be on a free trial until August and it magically cut out a couple of weeks ago ...
                              Sirusxm billing is brutal. Nothing but headaches

June 13, 2015, 11:38 PM #15

Nirusan Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 BMW M2, 2015 Audi S3
                                • Reputation Power: 217
                                • Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!
                                Originally posted by Shaun
                                I just noticed yesterday I lost signal going down Portage. Weird!

Just noticed it this evening haha. Dropped out two or three times going down Portage.

Must be :alien:
                                [Sep 03 10:56:42] Faken:I wanna be on autters whorefax... Gonna write her off
                                [Sep 03 11:06:48] Faken:If I stuck my pee pee into 100 girls from africa.. I think it will make a difference if u want to sleep with me.
                                [Oct 15 19:20:41] Adomp:id eat my own ass out than eat famous daves

June 16, 2015, 12:11 AM #16

John Offline

• Vehicle: 04 civic, 09 STi
                                  • Reputation Power: 101
                                  • John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.
                                  just installed mine today and I can't get any signal anywhere :(
                                  subies ftw!

[Dec 04 11:42:55] Shaun:i tried using nav to get to dan's logic but i got lost
                                  [Dec 05 21:53:59] Uncle Hugh Myron:I dunno but an easy way to kill Dan would be shutting down mcdonalds for 24 hours

June 16, 2015, 12:53 AM #17

cluelessk Offline

Originally posted by John
                                    just installed mine today and I can't get any signal anywhere :(

Have you tried re sending your signal from your online account?

June 16, 2015, 06:31 AM #18

John Offline

• Vehicle: 04 civic, 09 STi
                                      • Reputation Power: 101
                                      • John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.
                                      Originally posted by cluelessk
                                      Have you tried re sending your signal from your online account?

yup. I think I just have a very weak signal cause it work sometimes.
                                      subies ftw!

[Dec 04 11:42:55] Shaun:i tried using nav to get to dan's logic but i got lost
                                      [Dec 05 21:53:59] Uncle Hugh Myron:I dunno but an easy way to kill Dan would be shutting down mcdonalds for 24 hours

September 03, 2015, 07:09 PM #19

the_mog Offline

Ok hate to re-open a dead topic but this is an odd one.
                                        Now my route into downtown has absolutely NO issues with XM reception. I'm thinking this just HAS to be something to do with the seasonal change (tilt of the earth, etc) and nothing to do with the radio itself. I haven't changed anything in terms of the electronics (bluetooth is active and working like always, etc).

Anyone else noticed this? I actually first realized it when I was reaching for the radio control to switch to FM while going into downtown as I was so used to the signal cutting out it became an automatic habit. Probably around 2nd last week in August reception suddenly cleared. Now I can go under bridges, beside tall buildings, etc and not a blip.

Weird is all I can say about this situation.

September 05, 2015, 09:27 PM #20

981CS Offline

• Vehicle: 15' Cayman S
                                          • Reputation Power: 7
                                          • 981CS has no influence.
                                          This has been answered by XM Radio, they have a repeater that sends a signal in Manitoba down for almost 4 months... They've been working on this issue as per their techline.

Porsche Cayman S - Kinda stock...
                                          BMW 335i - 458TQ/352HP N54 335I BMW w/o meth.
                                          BMW M235i - 401TQ / 312HP N55

September 13, 2015, 03:13 PM #21

Scorp Offline

• Real Name: Professional Forum Lurker
                                            • Vehicle: '10 Gencoupe
                                            • Reputation Power: 12
                                            • Scorp has no influence.
                                            Thread Necromancy:

Spoke with my XM rep yesterday. They fixed the terrestrial repeater that was down a few weeks ago. Everything should be resolved.
                                            Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive.

September 15, 2015, 09:14 PM #22

the_mog Offline

Well now I have more ammo to use when I re-negotiate my renewal next year. Got them down to under 100.00 for the year taxes and artist fees in, now I can screw them for an even better deal ;)
                                              (and yes I do this every year - I have absolutely no worries about cancelling because they always send me to retentions and I always end up getting a much better deal than previously negotiated. Always willing and able to cancel as I have lots of other music sources).

Gord

September 16, 2015, 09:19 AM #23

pjcarey Offline

Location: 1066 Nairn Ave. Winnipeg, MB
                                                • Vehicle: 1983 toyota supra gts 2009 Kia rio5
                                                • Reputation Power: 55
                                                • pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.
                                                Originally posted by the_mog
                                                Well now I have more ammo to use when I re-negotiate my renewal next year. Got them down to under 100.00 for the year taxes and artist fees in, now I can screw them for an even better deal ;)
                                                (and yes I do this every year - I have absolutely no worries about cancelling because they always send me to retentions and I always end up getting a much better deal than previously negotiated. Always willing and able to cancel as I have lots of other music sources).

Gord

you can get them lower! I had a customer tell me that they're paying $80 a year for their XM! just keep haggling!
                                                [Feb 23 16:03:56] Dan:gotta laugh it off, can't take shiz seriously

Link to my supra album all photos taken and edited by Colby Spence (@BD5)  https://www.flickr.com/photos/colbyspence/sets/72157647259073436/

September 16, 2015, 09:37 PM #24

cluelessk Offline

I usually just Google Sirius XM deals and use a code.

Top Tier Imports

XM Radio - poor reception in downtown area
                                                    « Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 09:37 PM »