Author Topic: Polish question  (Read 1215 times)

June 05, 2015, 11:43 AM #0

awd_ftw Offline

• Vehicle: '98 ver4 gf8 STi, '10 subaru impreza 2.5i
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • awd_ftw has no influence.
Hey guys,

I'm stuck on which polish to use for my STi. The paint is dull and feels like a chalk board. Paint does have some light scratches. I ordered up some clay bars/lube, iron x and other stuff but lost when it comes to a polish. I'm planning on doing it by hand, very tight budget or else i'd bring it in to a professional. Would a meguairs polish from canadian tire be ok?
Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:51 AM by awd_ftw

Top Tier Imports

Polish question
    « on: June 05, 2015, 11:43 AM »

June 05, 2015, 12:56 PM #1

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
    • Reputation Power: 370
    • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
    You'll have a very hard time trying to polish by hand and will most likely require a machine to do a proper job. By the sounds of it your car would need a compound to remove the imperfections, followed by a polish.

June 05, 2015, 01:26 PM #2

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
      • Reputation Power: 80
      • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
      ^ you'll probably need a buffer to assist you unless you have unreal wrist stamina and speed, from other things I wish not to hear about
      [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
      95 GTR- SOLD
      03 RSX-S - SOLD
      08 G6- wrekt
      10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

June 05, 2015, 02:13 PM #3

Hoosierdaddy Offline

• Vehicle: 08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR
        • Reputation Power: 5
        • Hoosierdaddy has no influence.
        My advice if you want to get a good job done is to purchase a Porter Cable porter cable 7424xp then some Meguiars 105 for the cut and Meguiars 205 for the polish then some sort of wax/sealant to protect your work.

Polishing by hand will actually make the paint look better (Glossy) but good luck getting any swirl marks out.  To get swirls and RIDS out you'll need a machine of some sort :)

June 05, 2015, 03:18 PM #4

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
          • Reputation Power: 108
          • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
          Most polishes simply won't work by hand. You need the heat and speed of a machine for them to actually break down and do their job properly. You could do a job that looks passable at a glance, with an aggressive compound by hand, but you'd be wasting so much time.

June 05, 2015, 03:41 PM #5

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
            • Reputation Power: 13
            • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
            You can get your car minged from Ming for $230 and it'll look brand new !! :) I know you're on a budget but for the price of polish and a buffer (if you bought one) just take it there. You lose your car for the day as they spend usually several hours buffing it but when you get it back it'll look better than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June 05, 2015, 04:26 PM #6

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
              • Reputation Power: 206
              • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
              Or you could support one of our Detailing vendors such as Rebirth, who has nothing but good reviews on here.
              Originally posted by Madbuzz41
              I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

June 05, 2015, 09:34 PM #7

Electro Offline

• Vehicle: '99 GF8 STI
                • Reputation Power: 6
                • Electro has no influence.
                Best beginner polish is Meguiar's 205. If you want to do some compounding, use Meguiar's 101 first. It is better than 105 because it does not dust as much.

HD Speed is also an AMAZING polish if you want to just do a one-step with a machine.

Porter Cable machines are good beginner tools, but are really limited to just being a beginner tool. I bought one, used it for 3 months, and then bought a Rupes polisher. My Porter Cable is now my designated carpet cleaner brush tool. I have also heard good things about the $130ish Meguiar's one from Can Tire. Do not get one of those Simoniz terry cloth polishers.

I would not take your car to Ming. I do quite a lot of detailing and have fixed spots on cars for people who have had their car 'Ming'd'

If you want to get rid of that chalkboard feel the first step is to wash well, and then clay (if you're in a cool garage you can use IronX as your clay lubricant and it will work awesome). Do not try to use it as a clay lube in direct sunlight because it will dry up too fast. Be sure to wash it all off very well. Also, with the clay, break it up and flatten it out into a pancake about the size of your palm. That way if you drop the piece on the ground, you will not have just wasted all that money.
                Remember that claying will strip any protection such as wax or sealant that is left on the paint, so you will have to wax or seal at the end of this process.
                Next step is to polish. Slow steady arm movements with a machine. Watch some of Larry's AMMO NYC videos on youtube for a good visual.

Just to answer your question of what polish to get: M205 or HD Speed. Google some pictures and reviews of HD Speed and I know you will be impressed.
                Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:40 PM by Electro
                1999 Army Green GF8   2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT

June 05, 2015, 10:34 PM #8

awd_ftw Offline

thanks guy for the input. I'll shop around for a porter cables machine. I have watched the Larry's AMMO youtube very helpful.

I'm planning on detailing the car next weekend. I picked up Griot's clay and speed detail kit, iron x, chemical guy eco waterless and nonsense, blackfire crystal paint seal, 2 orange ccs pads, 2 white ccs pads, and 2 microfiber applicators.

Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:40 PM by awd_ftw

June 05, 2015, 11:36 PM #9

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                    • Reputation Power: 13
                    • Madbuzz41 has no influence.

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                    Or you could support one of our Detailing vendors such as Rebirth, who has nothing but good reviews on here.

Just cause it's a TTI vendor doesn't mean I have to support it.
                    I've been dealing with Ming for a long time and got them to work with several of my cars in the past. Also my dad had as well. Don't plan on changing anytime soon.
                    He was asking for opinions so I gave one, you didn't. You criticized my vendor choice.

June 06, 2015, 09:33 AM #10

Hoosierdaddy Offline

• Vehicle: 08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR
                      • Reputation Power: 5
                      • Hoosierdaddy has no influence.
                      Electro, great advice :). I'm pretty new with the PC but find it works well....it just takes longer to get the results and its fool proof which I like :). I've never actually used the meguires stuff but I've read that these are the products that work better than most other products.  I've been using Sonax Perfect Finish and I'm getting decent results. 

Awd_ftw:  I would suggest getting a lot of microfiber towels as you'll need them.  I bought 12 of the El Cheapo towels and a few of the Cookie Monster towels from Eshine.

June 06, 2015, 11:06 AM #11

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                        • Reputation Power: 370
                        • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                        If you plan on looking into the Porter Cable you should also look into the Griots Garage polisher as well. Lots of people have switched from the PC to the GG.

June 06, 2015, 03:02 PM #12

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                          • Reputation Power: 206
                          • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                          Just cause it's a TTI vendor doesn't mean I have to support it.
                          I've been dealing with Ming for a long time and got them to work with several of my cars in the past. Also my dad had as well. Don't plan on changing anytime soon.
                          He was asking for opinions so I gave one, you didn't. You criticized my vendor choice.

Lol no need to get offended.
                          I simply suggested it because a ton of people have gone to Rebirth, and have all had amazing results.
                          I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

June 06, 2015, 03:37 PM #13

awd_ftw Offline

Originally posted by Shaun
                            If you plan on looking into the Porter Cable you should also look into the Griots Garage polisher as well. Lots of people have switched from the PC to the GG.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have had a few coworkers tell me to check out Griots brand as well.

Top Tier Imports

Polish question
                              « Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 03:37 PM »