Author Topic: classic impreza springs (jdm/usdm)  (Read 722 times)

June 10, 2015, 01:01 PM #0

awd_ftw Offline

• Vehicle: '98 ver4 gf8 STi, '10 subaru impreza 2.5i
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • awd_ftw has no influence.
Hey guys I need to replace 2 blow struts on my MY98 STi. I may as well try to upgrade my springs. I found a set of UK Impreza Prodrive P1 springs which are rated 215/195 linear(0.5" drop front/rear stays same height) and a set of Prodrive wr15 rated at 230/200(0.5" drop front/rear). My stock V4 are apparently 196/174. Been reading that the Prodrive P1 springs are designed on bumpy and crappy roads.

In my quick search the 215 means 215lbs and the spring will compress 1inch? For a DD car would these springs be an upgrade? The rates are pretty much the same imo. If i stayed with my stock springs I would just buy KYB Excel gs. If I were to get either one of the Prodrive springs I'd get the KYB AGX.

Top Tier Imports

classic impreza springs (jdm/usdm)
    « on: June 10, 2015, 01:01 PM »

June 10, 2015, 02:22 PM #1

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
    • Reputation Power: 108
    • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
    If you want a slightly stiffer ride, then yes.

June 10, 2015, 07:26 PM #2

awd_ftw Offline

• Vehicle: '98 ver4 gf8 STi, '10 subaru impreza 2.5i
      • Reputation Power: 7
      • awd_ftw has no influence.
      Do springs need to be replaced like struts? Or they should last the life of the car?

If its a minimal difference that I cant tell I may as well use the money for something else.

June 10, 2015, 08:47 PM #3

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
        • Reputation Power: 94
        • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
        Originally posted by awd_ftw
        Do springs need to be replaced like struts? Or they should last the life of the car?

If its a minimal difference that I cant tell I may as well use the money for something else.
        From what I've read, and i'm no expert, they should typically last the lifetime of the car unless it was really beaten on (for a normal coil spring - not coilover).
        Current Forester count: 1
        Owner, Next Level Escapes

June 10, 2015, 09:11 PM #4

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
          • Reputation Power: 370
          • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
          Originally posted by awd_ftw

Springs can chip/rust/snap at which point you might want to consider replacing, haha. But other than that they don't lose their spingyness, or at least not enough that you would notice.

Top Tier Imports

classic impreza springs (jdm/usdm)
            « Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:11 PM »