Author Topic: 1984 Mazda RX7 GSL - 2JZ swap!?  (Read 5657 times)

September 02, 2016, 09:19 AM #25

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
  • Reputation Power: 120
  • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
Originally posted by Vex
As it turns out, my driveshaft was never ordered because I never made a deposit, oops my bad. If anyone has a 99 bronco driveshaft, it'll speed up the process. Otherwise, 2 more weeks :/
SMH the anticipation is killin me
BAASSSSSSS
I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

Top Tier Imports

1984 Mazda RX7 GSL - 2JZ swap!?
    « Reply #25 on: September 02, 2016, 09:19 AM »

September 20, 2016, 08:26 PM #26

Vex Offline

• Vehicle: 84 Rx7 GSL, 2000 forester stb
    • Reputation Power: 7
    • Vex has no influence.
    I got the driveshaft and adapter plates. They're too short. FML

Got it sent back to be extended 4 1/2 inches. Should be a day or 2 but it's alright, got a couple things to touch up first.

September 24, 2016, 01:26 AM #27

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.

Went amazingly well. Even pushed her a little bit. I just barely missed FNL but I'll be at Unrestricted!

September 24, 2016, 05:53 AM #28

SavageTaco Offline

• Vehicle: Evo9 GG MR
        • Reputation Power: 15
        • SavageTaco has no influence.
        Very nice! Should be a fun car.
        Evo 9 aka "The Grinch" pump gas warrior
        Self tuned on an AEM V2
        2000 Aristo V300 - Daily
        "When in doubt run flat out"- C Mcrae

September 24, 2016, 05:19 PM #29

pjcarey Offline

• Vehicle: 1983 toyota supra gts 2009 Kia rio5
          • Reputation Power: 55
          • pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.
          FINALLY! cant wait to see this on sunday! i'll be on the lookout for the car!
          [Feb 23 16:03:56] Dan:gotta laugh it off, can't take shiz seriously

Link to my supra album all photos taken and edited by Colby Spence (@BD5)  https://www.flickr.com/photos/colbyspence/sets/72157647259073436/

September 24, 2016, 06:17 PM #30

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
            Just noticed a charging issue. I think I might need a new alternator, not 100% sure it'll be out now   :(

October 07, 2016, 01:27 PM #31

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
              It's been a year, and it seems weird to say but it's running and driving. Just in time to park it for the winter.

This part was 100x worse than getting the motor mounted and nearly made me snap. It was a rough winter...

Pretty much sumarizes my thoughts all year

With the motor placed in the car I had much to do:
              • Electrical
              • Fuel System
              • Coolant system/Fan
              • Exhaust
              • Suspension
              • Drive Shaft
              • Shifter
              • Throttle Linkage
              • Intake
              • Water Proofing

This is way too much to put into one post, so I'm gonna break it down into sections. Ordered by level of suck.
              Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:42 PM by Vex

October 07, 2016, 01:27 PM #32

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                1. Electrical

With a motor placed in my car, it seemed logical to tackle wiring first. This seemed like a week or 2 job, I mean it's all there, just gotta connect a couple wires right? right??

Did I mention I know nothing about wiring? Like at all?

There was 3 wiring harnesses. A half torn apart rotary engine harness, a 2jz engine harness, and a rx7 body/accessory harness.

Looking at it from a logical stand point, there was no need for the already destroyed rotary harness and it would make sense to use the power from the RX7 body harness to power the 2jz engine harness.

After many blown fuzes, and failed attempts I know it had to be done a different way and doing this inside the car was not practical.

So after picking up the fb rx7 wiring diagram I studied it and learned a lot more about it. It's actually really straight forward and hard to mess up.

After realising that I was missing a BIG chunk of wiring for the 2jz to run I was forced to seek out the 2jz parts car to rip out the wiring.

I lucked out and found my neighbour bought the parts car for body panels. So I gave him the power steering pump (which he needed, and I didn't) and I took the wiring. Spent 3 days ripping out the entire body harness out of the lexus.

So now I have 4 wiring harnesses.

The best course of action for me was to stick with what I know works and to not try and recreate the wheel.

I took the new lexus body/engine harness, placed it where it roughly needed to go, connected it together, this included the fuse box inside the engine bay.

My new approach was to supply the rx7 off the lexus harness. Not the other way around. I would use the lexus fuse box, and all the accessories the lexus harness had to power the matching accessories on the rx7.

My list of needed accessories for the rx7 was:

• Turn signals
                • Brake lights
                • Headlights
                • Running lights
                • Wipers
                • Horn

This would be simple, if I was to leave the rx7 harness intact and just run power to it but I couldn't do that. I needed to clear it of unused stuff.

So I ripped it out. At this point its mid winter  -30 ish and I'm sitting in a unheated garage ripping out wiring in a cold metal car.

It wasn't fun but I managed to rip every single wire that was not need out and create a power link between the lexus harness and rx7 harness. This basically involved reconstructing the harness from complete scratch.

So now, I'm back down to 3 harnesses and have working lights but no motor power.

It now time to point my energy at the engine harness/getting that motor to crank.

First thing, was get that battery in the trunk

No that yogurt cup is not garbage, it's a case for a fuse block.

The fuse block was dedicated for my fuel pump that was finally installed and plumbed at that point. (Click here to read about that).

So now, it has power to the fuse box, which in turn powers the stock lexus harness, which sends power to the motor and rx7 harness. So why doesn't it start at this point?

Couple reasons, but most importantly it has no igniton key.

Instead of me trying to figure out which lexus wire goes where on the rx7 ignition I just made toggle switches. Super race car.

It worked, I did everything properly. Nothing went wrong, this is a first.

After running a wire to the starter, it was time to crank it over. No ignition or fuel was wired but I could turn the motor over.

This was a real motivation booster. This post summarizes about 4-5 months of wiring but I was really done with it up until that point.

I figured I would clean up the wiring on the lexus harness as it was mostly a giant ball of wiring laying on the floor at this point.

Basically I spent a day figuring out what was needed for it to run and what wasn't. Things like power seats, power mirrors were just extra garbage wiring for me.

Since I had lots of practice on cleaning the rx7 harness I got really efficient at stripping this harness clean. Just figure out if the plug was needed, if not cut it off and remove the wire up to the nearest splice point. If a splice point got caried down to one wire, remove that splice and move further down the line. Worked good, and I finished that in a day.

After fixing a sparking issue, I figured it was time to attempt to plumb this car with some fuel and have her run

This post was not as picture heavy, as it was literally just me sitting in my basement 4-5 months reading wiring diagrams. Every single day. I almost went insane.

You can read the about the fuel system here.

October 07, 2016, 01:55 PM #33

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                  reserved for future posts

October 29, 2016, 02:17 PM #34

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                    I bought a 1988 supra to steal the tranny out of, so now I got a r154 for it. Just got to buy a 1jz r154 bell housing and 1jz fly wheel. 5 speed manual, woot!   :alien:

May 31, 2017, 11:41 PM #35

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                      The 5 speed is finally installed and driving. Should be out this weekend, just gotta tuck some wires and make dust covers for the bell housing.

But it's really turning into a Frankenstein, off the top of my head so far,

1993 Lexus gs300 motor
                      1988 Supra Turbo transmission
                      1980~ Ford Bronco drive shaft
                      2000~ Ford Focus radiator

Way too much time and money into this, but it's 90% where I want it to be. Maybe I'll actually be able to enjoy it this summer.

June 02, 2017, 09:20 AM #36

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                        Bring it out to some meets, I wanna see this contraption!
                        BAASSSSSSS
                        I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                        My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

June 05, 2017, 03:53 PM #37

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                          Originally posted by Ctown8
                          Bring it out to some meets, I wanna see this contraption!
                          I keep trying, but for some reason I never end up being able to.

This time it was that the rad has a pin hole, but it's just a generic ford focus radiator so I'll just get one at the scrap yard and should be good for next weekend.

June 13, 2017, 11:29 PM #38

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                            Brought her out to Reset, and UE this weekend. Once I have all the bugs ironed out, it's actually really fun. Puts a big smile on my face.

However, it broke again on monday :(

After turning it off, and letting it sit for a while, it barely starts and will bog out and die. If I play with the throttle, it'll backfire and spit flames. The plugs have then switched to being very rich.

This is odd, because the week before I checked the plugs and they were perfect golden. Not sure what has changed. Either way, I pulled the rest of the plugs and they were completely trashed. They required an impact to get out, and the gap had been made a lot bigger from wear and tare. Got a whole new set, hopefully that'll fix the problem.

June 14, 2017, 12:08 PM #39

Ctown8 Offline

well i mean, shooting flames is cool i guess
                              BAASSSSSSS

June 14, 2017, 04:23 PM #40

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                                Originally posted by Ctown8
                                well i mean, shooting flames is cool i guess
                                **** yeah, and the bog makes it sound like it has massive cams in it.

June 14, 2017, 04:45 PM #41

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by Vex
                                  **** yeah, and the bog makes it sound like it has massive cams in it.
                                  awesome haha, hopefully those plugs smooth it out though, maybe check its getting good fuel and air too though
                                  BAASSSSSSS

June 14, 2017, 09:42 PM #42

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                                    Alright, so I've got no clue anymore. I need some ideas.

I drove the car just fine, it ran fine, had perfect golden plugs. I drove it around, then turned it off and parked it for a couple hours. When I came back, it would hardly start, and would bog out and die. Thinking that it was out of gas (no gas gauge) we left it for the night, then I put more gas in it the next morning, and it fired up fine. Drove around for a while, even stopped and turned it off a couple times, fired right back up each time.

Later that same night, I parked it for a couple hours, and wouldn't fire up. I knew I wasn't out of gas, we tried playing with the throttle, and it bogged out, backfired, and surged. I then let it sit again for a while, and came back and it fired right back up again. We turned up the fuel pressure by 5psi (as it was 5psi short of factory) and let it sit.

I then tried firing it back up, exact same issue. Haven't been able to have it run properly since (we did change the PSI back to before, as well we lowered it). I pulled the plugs, and did a compression test, it has good compression. Changed to brand new/properly spaced plugs. Same issue.

What should I check next?

June 15, 2017, 02:52 PM #43

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 9
                                      • dan has no influence.
                                      I'm not totally familiar with the ignition on this, but does this have coil packs on top of the plugs, or one monster coil?  If so, i would check your coil to make sure its good.

June 15, 2017, 03:16 PM #44

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                                        Originally posted by dan
                                        I'm not totally familiar with the ignition on this, but does this have coil packs on top of the plugs, or one monster coil?  If so, i would check your coil to make sure its good.
                                        It's a distributer system (it's an older 2jz), but I should check the spark on each plug. The plugs are getting super rich and it is firing over each time, but the plugs are definitely firing, just not sure how well.

July 11, 2017, 04:03 PM #45

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                                          It's driving again, got a 2 week permit on it. I'm not 100% sure what fixed it, but the O rings on almost every injector was blown, and wasn't seated properly. I must have seated them wrong.

I pressurized the system, and made sure the injectors do not leak (which they didn't) and re-sat the injectors, it seems to run good again.

My theory is the O rings got cracked, leaking the pressure/gas out. When the car tried to spray in gas, it didn't get enough and the ECU freaked out trying to pump more fuel in to compensate for the air.

When it dies again in 2 weeks, I'll just burn the car to the ground. /s

July 11, 2017, 04:53 PM #46

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by Vex

finally a solid game plan :lol: just kidding, i seriously hope this fixes your issues mang!
                                            BAASSSSSSS

July 11, 2017, 08:37 PM #47

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                                              • Reputation Power: 43
                                              • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                                              Originally posted by Vex
                                              It's driving again, got a 2 week permit on it. I'm not 100% sure what fixed it, but the O rings on almost every injector was blown, and wasn't seated properly. I must have seated them wrong.

I pressurized the system, and made sure the injectors do not leak (which they didn't) and re-sat the injectors, it seems to run good again.

My theory is the O rings got cracked, leaking the pressure/gas out. When the car tried to spray in gas, it didn't get enough and the ECU freaked out trying to pump more fuel in to compensate for the air.

If you have leaking o rings it may try to burn itself to the ground. Even with leaking fuel orings it should fire.
                                              Did you have fuel leaking at the rail? Was your coil firing properly? (Assuming single coil supplies the distributor like late 7m's did)
                                              Also the vacuum to the fpr and return lines would have been pulled and reconnected when you did this.
                                              That could have resolved the issue too.
                                              D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                                              04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                                              Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                                              http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

July 12, 2017, 12:37 AM #48

Vex Offline

• Vex has no influence.
                                                Originally posted by Joe
                                                If you have leaking o rings it may try to burn itself to the ground. Even with leaking fuel orings it should fire.
                                                Did you have fuel leaking at the rail? Was your coil firing properly? (Assuming single coil supplies the distributor like late 7m's did)
                                                Also the vacuum to the fpr and return lines would have been pulled and reconnected when you did this.
                                                That could have resolved the issue too.

Well, after driving it around all day. It finally did it again. Exact same way.

Drove around all day, running content, turned on/off many times.

Parked it for a couple hours (outside temperature cooled off) and it would hardly start. Limped it home, sounded fun on load but backfired/died out on decell.

Top Tier Imports

1984 Mazda RX7 GSL - 2JZ swap!?
                                                  « Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 12:37 AM »