Author Topic: 5.0 gotta go, Tint Tickets on the rise  (Read 3987 times)

July 08, 2015, 12:35 AM #0

RazorBlaze Offline

• Vehicle: Challenger, Camaro, Chevelle, 49 F68
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • RazorBlaze has no influence.
Hello everyone, Wes here with just a friendly warning to all out there, the Winnipeg police have been cracking down on illegal mods and yes including window tint. My phone has been going nuts on people getting caught and having to fix to legal, just something to think about when making your tint selection. The highway traffic act a lot of people don`t know any vehicle 93 and older is exempt from tint laws, its written in there black and white. For those who don`t know the legal limit is 35% rears and 50% fronts for cars, 15% rear and 50% fronts for Trucks Vans and Suv`s, Sunroofs the sky is the limit dark as you want. Stay safe and hope to see you all this year
As i look in my rearview mirror.....the red and blue lights make me go faster...

Top Tier Imports

5.0 gotta go, Tint Tickets on the rise
    « on: July 08, 2015, 12:35 AM »

July 08, 2015, 10:04 AM #1

Adomp Offline

• Vehicle: BMW E36
    • Reputation Power: 31
    • Adomp is working their way up.Adomp is working their way up.Adomp is working their way up.
    thanks Wes! If I tell the cop my car is a 93' and I'm exempt he will probably tell me to shut up and take this ticket.
    [May 03 15:40:09] Uncle Hugh Myron:when 10 asians come at me with weapons i just get on my knees and start sucking their dicks

[Dec 10 16:08:15] Shaun:if u put adom in a cold tub it turns into a hot tub

[Dec 18 12:21:50] Nirusan:ya right
    [Dec 18 12:21:49] Nirusan:lmao adomp coming to a tti  event

July 08, 2015, 09:06 PM #2

Darkness Offline

• Vehicle: 1988 Nissan 300zx
      • Reputation Power: 6
      • Darkness has no influence.
      Originally posted by RazorBlaze
      The highway traffic act a lot of people don`t know any vehicle 93 and older is exempt from tint laws, its written in there black and white.
      Actual wording from the regulations:
      Quote (selected)
      Exemption
      A motor vehicle that was equipped with window tinting before the coming into force of this
      regulation  is  exempt  from  the  requirements  of sections 4 and 5.
      Source: https://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/regs/current/_pdf-regs.php?reg=99/93

Keep in mind this may be interpreted by a judge differently than you believe.

Also from the regs:
      Quote (selected)
      Permissible variance
      Where  light  transmission  through  a motor vehicle window is measured with a test meter
      designed for that purpose, in accordance with the procedure prescribed by the manufacturer, and the
      meter reading does not exceed the levels set out in sections 5 and 6 by more than 5%, the motor vehicle
      is deemed to comply with this regulation

July 26, 2015, 06:20 PM #3

CFMP RAblue Offline

• Vehicle: 09 Mits Ralliart Octane blue
        • Reputation Power: 58
        • CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.
        They would have to prove it was installed after 93 which would be difficult ;)
        "Go Fast, Stop Fast"
        Extreme Stop Slotted/Drilled Rotors
        KVR Performance Slotted Rotors
        Magnaflow CBE

July 27, 2015, 12:52 PM #4

Yurek Offline

• Vehicle: '92 Soarer x2, '92 SC300, '97 Civic, '98 Soarer
          • Yurek has no influence.
          The Highway Traffic Act (H60) Window Tinting Regulation (Manitoba Regulation 99/93) came into force as of May 17, 1993.

The following excerpt is taken directly from the Regulation:
          "Exemption
          6 A motor vehicle that was equipped with window tinting before the coming into force of this regulation is exempt from the requirements of sections 4 and 5."

I always keep a copy of the HTA in my glove box in my Soarer all the time just in case, but do realize that the police officer can still issue you a ticket no matter how much you complain or whine. If you do get a ticket, the key thing then would be pleading Not Guilty, bring the section of the Highway Traffic Act relating to the Window Tinting Regulation with you on your court date, and you will be acquitted through a trial.

But just like Grant said, they would have to prove the tint was installed after May 17, 1993. To that same end, the owner of a 1993 car would have to prove that it was manufactured BEFORE May 17th of 1993 to be exempt.
          1/4 ET 15.7650 @ 95.14 MPH

July 28, 2015, 01:23 PM #5

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
            • Reputation Power: 95
            • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
            Originally posted by Yurek
            The Highway Traffic Act (H60) Window Tinting Regulation (Manitoba Regulation 99/93) came into force as of May 17, 1993.

The following excerpt is taken directly from the Regulation:
            "Exemption
            6 A motor vehicle that was equipped with window tinting before the coming into force of this regulation is exempt from the requirements of sections 4 and 5."

I always keep a copy of the HTA in my glove box in my Soarer all the time just in case, but do realize that the police officer can still issue you a ticket no matter how much you complain or whine. If you do get a ticket, the key thing then would be pleading Not Guilty, bring the section of the Highway Traffic Act relating to the Window Tinting Regulation with you on your court date, and you will be acquitted through a trial.

But just like Grant said, they would have to prove the tint was installed after May 17, 1993. To that same end, the owner of a 1993 car would have to prove that it was manufactured BEFORE May 17th of 1993 to be exempt.

Typically there is a sticker in the drivers door jamb that says the year/month of manufacture.

July 28, 2015, 03:49 PM #6

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
              • Reputation Power: 42
              • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
              Originally posted by Winter Beater
              Typically there is a sticker in the drivers door jamb that says the year/month of manufacture.

And often the units produced in the last few months of any given year are sold as the next year's model.  Ex. Nov. 2010 production date = 2011 model vehicle.
              '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
              '99 MB E55t AMG - DD - FOR SALE!
              '04 Lexus GX470

July 28, 2015, 04:21 PM #7

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
                • Reputation Power: 80
                • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
                ^ depends on the manufacture, we have a 2011 gmc 2500hd at work that has a manufacture date of 06/10   sold as a 2011 2500  but we are finding with parts it is more like a 2010.5 because half the parts are from a 2010 and others from a 2011  apparently the wheel studs are different from '10 to '11
                [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
                95 GTR- SOLD
                03 RSX-S - SOLD
                08 G6- wrekt
                10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

August 03, 2015, 04:22 PM #8

s-low Offline

• Vehicle: 14 F150, 10 Edge, 03 Accord, 09 V Star 950T
                  • Reputation Power: 11
                  • s-low has no influence.
                  Could someone please share the section of the HTA that refers to vans/trucks/suvs 5% rears? I was under the impression it was 50% front and no law on rears or other windows.

August 03, 2015, 08:41 PM #9

Darkness Offline

• Vehicle: 1988 Nissan 300zx
                    • Darkness has no influence.
                    Originally posted by s-low
                    Could someone please share the section of the HTA that refers to vans/trucks/suvs 5% rears? I was under the impression it was 50% front and no law on rears or other windows.
                    The link to the regulations in my previous post has what you are looking for.

Edit for the lazy:

Quote (selected)
                    Non-application
                    This regulation does not apply to window tinting that is

(a) incorporated  by  the  manufacturer  into  a windshield or other window of a motor vehicle, in compliance  with  the Canada  Motor  Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations; or

(b) applied to a window behind the driver's seat in a bus, school bus, multi-purpose  passenger vehicle, truck or motor home.
                    Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:12 PM by Darkness

August 03, 2015, 11:07 PM #10

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
                      • Reputation Power: 95
                      • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
                      Originally posted by s-low

I was under the same impression. Many SUVs come from factory with tint that definitely looks darker than the 35% limit for cars in the back.

May 27, 2016, 08:43 PM #11

RT Offline

• Vehicle: 2015 CIVIC
                        • Reputation Power: 1
                        • RT has no influence.
                        I have no other choice but to resurrect this topic!  :alien:
                        I'm in a pickle with my buddies and we need some top tier advice...
                        I want to get 35 on front and 50 on back
                        Buddy 1 wants 35 all around
                        Buddy 2 wants 20 all around

What I want to know is whether I'm smart going with the legal as opposed to the other guys? I wanted 35 all around but I'm terrified I'll get a ticket as I've heard the cops are cracking down...what does everyone recommend I do? And please share your experiences! Thanks in advance!
                        15 CIVIƆ

May 27, 2016, 08:49 PM #12

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                          • Reputation Power: 84
                          • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
                          me personally, im going legal limit on my car. 35 all around would look better, but I don't want the hassle. so 35 back, 50 front for myself.

Lots of poeple go 35 all around and never have an issue, it's up to you if you want to take that chance or not.

May 27, 2016, 08:54 PM #13

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                            • Reputation Power: 246
                            • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                            Have had 35 all around for 2.5 years with no issue. You can take a risk or go the legal route and not worry about it. If you do get a ticket you can remove the tint and the ticket gets thrown out.
                            2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                            2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

May 27, 2016, 09:30 PM #14

JTM Offline

• Vehicle: Mazda 3
                              • Reputation Power: 13
                              • JTM has no influence.

This was just on the CBC news site.  Fine is $175.30

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/window-tint-brandon-manitoba-1.3603442

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Mazda 3, so green it starts decomposing as soon as it's built.

May 27, 2016, 09:36 PM #15

RT Offline

• Vehicle: 2015 CIVIC
                                • Reputation Power: 1
                                • RT has no influence.
                                Originally posted by JTM

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/window-tint-brandon-manitoba-1.3603442

Great find!! Looks like I'll be going legal  :banana:
                                15 CIVIƆ

May 28, 2016, 12:18 PM #16

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                  • Reputation Power: 202
                                  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                  At 50% tint you're better off saving your money and keeping it completely stock
                                  Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                  I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

May 28, 2016, 10:25 PM #17

MarvinM10 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
                                    • Reputation Power: 26
                                    • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
                                    Originally posted by jordisonjr
                                    At 50% tint you're better off saving your money and keeping it completely stock
                                    But let's not forget that even though the light transmission is only allowed to be 50%, and that's just the front windows, it is still a good investment for reduced U.V. exposure, and reducing heat in the cabin reducing a/c use, reducing fuel usage.( I know only a little, and the roa doesn't quite ever work out but.....)
                                    Laziness breeds efficiency

May 30, 2016, 04:24 PM #18

Chads Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Base Prelude
                                      • Reputation Power: 8
                                      • Chads has no influence.
                                      Has anyone here gotten a ticket with 30% all around?

May 31, 2016, 09:44 AM #19

JSTBCUZ Offline

• Reputation Power: 5
                                        • JSTBCUZ has no influence.
                                        Originally posted by JTM

Jesus. It's dangerous because you cant make eye contact with drivers of vehicles?

Guess people wearing polarized sunglasses are just as dangerous? *smacks head*

May 31, 2016, 10:40 AM #20

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
                                          • Reputation Power: 42
                                          • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                                          Originally posted by Igor
                                          If you do get a ticket you can remove the tint and the ticket gets thrown out.

That is FAR from a certainty, and dangerous advise to be giving out IMO.  Removing the tint after the fact does not mean you weren't in breach of the law at the time the ticket was written.
                                          '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                          '99 MB E55t AMG - DD - FOR SALE!
                                          '04 Lexus GX470

May 31, 2016, 10:44 AM #21

Igor Offline

• Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                                            Originally posted by IanB
                                            That is FAR from a certainty, and dangerous advise to be giving out IMO.  Removing the tint after the fact does not mean you weren't in breach of the law at the time the ticket was written.

Correct, it does not mean that you weren't in breach of the law. However, i have not heard of a single person having to pay the tint ticket after "fixing" it. Each person had shown that they removed the tint and the ticket was thrown out. I'm just going by that.

You are right though, this isn't a certainty but possibly luck of the draw.
                                            Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:00 AM by Igor

May 31, 2016, 10:57 AM #22

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
                                              • Reputation Power: 92
                                              • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
                                              Originally posted by Igor
                                              Correct, it does not mean that you weren't in breach of the law. However, i have not heard of a single person having to pay the tint ticket after "fixing" it. Each person had shown that they removed the tint and the ticket was thrown own. I'm just going by that.

You are right though, this isn't a certainty but possibly luck of the draw.
                                              This is how most of the laws *should* be enforced. The goal is to stop the infringing behaviour, not to just rake in cash.
                                              Current Forester count: 1
                                              New business opening soon...

May 31, 2016, 11:46 AM #23

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                                                • Reputation Power: 10
                                                • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                                                Originally posted by dano
                                                This is how most of the laws *should* be enforced. The goal is to stop the infringing behaviour, not to just rake in cash.

Okay what if they had it if you get a speeding ticket but you don't have to pay it as long as you don't get caught again for 6 months or a year. Showing you learnt from the mistake.

May 31, 2016, 11:49 AM #24

Igor Offline

Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                                  Okay what if they had it if you get a speeding ticket but you don't have to pay it as long as you don't get caught again for 6 months or a year. Showing you learnt from the mistake.

They already have something like that. It's called insurance premiums. Get a speeding ticket? pay more insurance. Didn't get a ticket for a while? Pay less insurance.

Top Tier Imports

5.0 gotta go, Tint Tickets on the rise
                                                    « Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 11:49 AM »