Author Topic: 2010 FG2 Civic Si Coupe - Suspension Help  (Read 762 times)

July 09, 2015, 10:18 PM #0

Michael.C Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Honda Civic Si Coupe FG2
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Michael.C has no influence.
Hey fellas (and ladies),

Recently I've heard a rattling in the rear passenger side of my car. I am very particular about my car, so naturally this aggravated the hell out of me. After taking it to Birchwood Honda West (twice), the problem was discovered! (hurray!) My rear passenger strut has minor damage and is becoming progressively more worn over time. I asked the techs if this is something crucial which required immediate repair and was told, theoretically I could drive like this for the next year -- but it isn't suggested. That being said, I've opted to take the plunge and swap out the OEM set up now for something after-market and as I have only a working knowledge (likely flawed) of suspension components and a physical disability, I thought it best to seek some advice/assistance!

What I'm looking for:
- Reduced wheel gap;
- More responsive suspension;
- Ride comfort;
- and Year-round practicality.

I will be daily driving my vehicle and I do not want something as harsh as my EG (Skunk2 Coilovers). This is what I am thinking of (I've read a couple of threads about this that already exist to obtain further insight into the topic) -- Koni Yellows (are they offered for my car?), with Tein S-Techs. I believe this to be a potentially cost effective, yet reliable option for my needs. Please help provide any further insight or correct me if I am steering into the wrong direct.

ALSO:

As suggested, I want to take care of this sooner rather than later. I am visiting some of my girlfriend's family in Saskatchewan next week and will be looking to order everything upon my return on the weekend of the 17-19. Once I've obtained everything I was wondering if there is anyone out there who would be willing to lend me a hand with the installation. I have a physical disability (even though it doesn't really look like it) which makes my skeletal structure more susceptible to fractures. ( See here: http://toptierimports.com/index.php?topic=10655.msg241620#msg241620 ) I will be able to do some of the work myself and would love to be as hands on as possible but with my limited knowledge and strength it makes things tough to do alone (that and the fact that installing mods in a parking lot isn't ideal - I live in apartment). There will be $ in it and I'll bring the beer/pizza; all I ask is that you are knowledgeable, friendly, and patient.

tl;dr - Car had rattling; shock needs replacing; purchasing suspension; suggestions? Thinking Koni Yellow + Tein S Tech; Need help with installation; Have physical disability; Will bring pizza and beer.

Top Tier Imports

2010 FG2 Civic Si Coupe - Suspension Help
    « on: July 09, 2015, 10:18 PM »

July 10, 2015, 12:43 AM #1

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
    • Reputation Power: 173
    • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
    Koni Yellows and Ground Controls.

Best combo ever.

AFAIK GC's aren't that much more than S.Tech's, plus you can adjust your ride height.
    (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

July 10, 2015, 06:46 AM #2

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
      • Reputation Power: 246
      • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
      ^x2
      2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
      2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

July 10, 2015, 10:43 AM #3

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
        • Reputation Power: 370
        • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
        I wouldn't get Ground Controls based on your needs (I don't think you require height adjustment, plus I wouldn't want to use them in winter).  Koni Yellows and lowering springs (S Techs would probably be a good option) will work great for you I think.

July 10, 2015, 07:46 PM #4

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
          • Reputation Power: 108
          • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
          If the price is similar, between the S.Tech and Ground Control, I would choose Ground Control. That way, if you do choose to go a little bit lower than S.Tech offers, you can. Ground Control will select spring rates appropriate for your driving style and the dampers you choose. You can also get custom spring rates for GC, but that is a bit advanced for the average driver. Ground Control sleeves are anodized aluminium, which means that they should withstand winter fairly well, and be no problem to adjust later on as long as the threads are kept clean.

July 10, 2015, 10:42 PM #5

Run Away Offline

• Reputation Power: 22
            • Run Away barely matters.Run Away barely matters.
            ^x2 well said.

Changing spring rates can be done at ~$60 USD + shipping/install per pair/axle too.
            Plus, worst case scenario the Ground Controls seized and become just as adjustable as the S-techs would be...
            -Ben

July 13, 2015, 09:50 AM #6

Leightino Offline

• Vehicle: Integra
              • Reputation Power: 12
              • Leightino has no influence.
              Koni Yellows and Ground Controls are a perfect pairing
              but I'm with @Shaun on this one
              TTi "B" plate crew

Top Tier Imports

2010 FG2 Civic Si Coupe - Suspension Help
                « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:50 AM »