Author Topic: Front end pop/clunk  (Read 1078 times)

August 06, 2015, 02:05 PM #0

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
  • Reputation Power: 205
  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
For the past week or so i've had a random creak coming from the drivers side front suspension. Usually when turning the wheels, or turning and going up/down a bump such as my driveway. I greased everything up in the front end, and still no solution.

The other day I was driving and had to brake relatively hard, and there was a fairly loud 'pop'. Now, when I brake/take off hard there's a significant pop. I can takeoff from a stop gently, and sometimes there is a softer pop sound, and sometimes there's non at all. It also pops loud if I brake hard, and pops softly if I break gently. Also while stationary, if I turn the wheel to the left, at a specific point it will pop, and you can feel it through the steering wheel as well.

I crawled under the car a couple days ago and tried moving stuff around for about an hour, and could not manage to reproduce the noise. It's also seemed to have gotten worse since then. It seems to be related to moving forward/back, almost as if the LCA bushing is worn out, however, I changed these about 2 summers ago.

I'm curious if anyone has any insight as to what this could possibly be, before I take it in to have it diagnosed. I was leaning towards a ball joint, but the fact that there was no play/leaking in the joint, and i could not reproduce the noise, has me thinking otherwise. I will take a second look as it seems to have gotten worse since it first started.

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Originally posted by Madbuzz41
I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

Top Tier Imports

Front end pop/clunk
    « on: August 06, 2015, 02:05 PM »

August 06, 2015, 02:15 PM #1

Vinny26 Offline

• Reputation Power: 36
    • Vinny26 is working their way up.Vinny26 is working their way up.Vinny26 is working their way up.
    Endlinks most likely
    || Lancer GTS for the moment || Evo X for the future ||
    [Feb 07 23:16:05] miguel97:cherkas like: started from the bottom now my face is a on racecar

August 06, 2015, 02:34 PM #2

jordisonjr Offline

• jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
      Originally posted by Vinny26
      Endlinks most likely
      It seems much louder than endlinks. Typcially endlinks will make noise when you hit a bump unevenly ex. with one tire and not the other (From my experience with rear endlinks), because forces are put on the swaybar / endlinks when the car is uneven. There also didn't seem to be any play in them. But I'll give it a second look.

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

August 06, 2015, 02:37 PM #3

Josia Offline

• Vehicle: 08 STI, 08 GTI, 99 Civic Type R
        • Reputation Power: 34
        • Josia is working their way up.Josia is working their way up.Josia is working their way up.
        Sounds like CV joints. Had this happen on my Subaru a few years ago.
        [Feb 22 17:00:55] Shaun:i hate chatbox

August 06, 2015, 02:52 PM #4

jordisonjr Offline

Originally posted by Josia
          That's what @Igor had suggested as well.
          Just looking for some more opinions.

The axle seemed pretty solid what I was under there. Is this something you'd be able to feel play in?

August 06, 2015, 02:57 PM #5

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
            • Reputation Power: 198
            • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
            What kind of car? Ball joints usually make a clunk. But have you taken the weight off the suspension and check your ball joints?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
            Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:57 PM by themikewoo

August 06, 2015, 03:15 PM #6

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
              • Reputation Power: 370
              • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
              Originally posted by Josia
              That's what I would say

August 07, 2015, 08:50 AM #7

seanf Offline

• Vehicle: 4 Audis and a Cavalier
                • Reputation Power: 15
                • seanf has no influence.
                sounds like the ball joint is making noise, they do dry out and make noise for a while before the play shows up, also if its happening when applying or letting off the brakes the pad could be flopping around in the caliper carrier. Hard to say without seeing it.

August 10, 2015, 08:27 AM #8

jordisonjr Offline

Thanks for the replies.
                  Hopefully going to take a closer look at it this week.

August 10, 2015, 05:15 PM #9

jordisonjr Offline

Well, I took a closer look today, with the vehicle on the gronud, and weight on the wheels.
                    Upon starting and stopping, the entire wheel shifts forward/back and with the vehicle stationary, you can actually move the the wheel forward and back in the wheel well.

I've narrowed it down to a Lower Control Arm bushing/LCA related. 90% sure its the bushing, But will confirm once I know forsure.
                    Although it does still creek while turning the wheels, so LCA wouldn't explain that.

Top Tier Imports

Front end pop/clunk
                      « Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 05:15 PM »