Author Topic: how to prevent and remove rust?  (Read 1616 times)

August 11, 2015, 05:12 PM #0

Kc_ Offline

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Kc_ has no influence.
i got rust starting to form on my left rear fender, but its really really small and not even noticeable unless you look really really close, and small little bubbles too. Do you guys have any tips or advice so that rust wont spread and shops that repair rust in case mine gets worst. Also, i dont know what it is called but its like a spray that prevents rust? like you spray it on your whole car... not sure  :lol: then it won't rust again

Top Tier Imports

how to prevent and remove rust?
    « on: August 11, 2015, 05:12 PM »

August 11, 2015, 08:05 PM #1

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
    • Reputation Power: 19
    • cluelessk has no influence.
    After it starts rusting you can't do a whole bunch besides cutting it out. There are rust converters but they don't work well for the type of rust on cars.
    [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

August 11, 2015, 08:53 PM #2

Kc_ Offline

• Kc_ has no influence.
      just a noob question, if i get my car detailed will they fix the rust spots? And approx how much will it cost?

August 11, 2015, 08:58 PM #3

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
        • Reputation Power: 370
        • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by Kc_
        just a noob question, if i get my car detailed will they fix the rust spots? And approx how much will it cost?
        Nope, detailing just corrects defects in the paint. If it's just surface rust you could get them to sand/grind it out and then paint it, but there's a good chance it will return.

August 11, 2015, 11:48 PM #4

CodyLoewen Offline

• Reputation Power: 40
          • CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...
          Your best bet is to either replace the panel or have it cut out, welded, and re-painted.  It isn't always cheap to fix rust, but it is possible.
          1999 Honda Civic

[Feb 22 16:57:22] Shaun:i dont wanna be friends with fence posts 

Faken:if i get this promtion.. i might get a convertible..
          Shaun:a convertible what? pen? yes this pen turns into a coupon holder.

August 12, 2015, 10:22 AM #5

Kc_ Offline

• Kc_ has no influence.
            Originally posted by CodyLoewen
            Your best bet is to either replace the panel or have it cut out, welded, and re-painted.  It isn't always cheap to fix rust, but it is possible.

What shop do you recommend that does it? Cause i dont want to do it myself as i dont have enough knowledge

August 12, 2015, 10:45 AM #6

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
              • Reputation Power: 246
              • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
              Even if you cut it and weld in new metal you might have rust come back if it's daily driven in rain and snow. Depending on the severity of the rust you could be looking at $1000-$1500 a side at a good shop. If the paint is bubbling it often means the rust is coming from the opposite side. If you are going to repair it then I would advise getting some rust proofing done to prevent it from coming back. Unfortunately rust is inevitable.
              2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
              2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

August 12, 2015, 02:34 PM #7

Dan

Being a mazda owner, i can tell you rust is impossible to avoid.  Once its starts, it doesnt go away easily.

August 12, 2015, 04:34 PM #8

Kc_ Offline

• Kc_ has no influence.
                  Originally posted by Igor
                  Even if you cut it and weld in new metal you might have rust come back if it's daily driven in rain and snow. Depending on the severity of the rust you could be looking at $1000-$1500 a side at a good shop. If the paint is bubbling it often means the rust is coming from the opposite side. If you are going to repair it then I would advise getting some rust proofing done to prevent it from coming back. Unfortunately rust is inevitable.

yea, planning to use it as my winter beater then sell it after i have enough money to import a car. Can you tell me more about this rust proofing? and is it worth it? im guessing it would cost like 2000$ or more lol

August 12, 2015, 04:45 PM #9

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                    • Reputation Power: 246
                    • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                    Originally posted by Kc_
                    yea, planning to use it as my winter beater then sell it after i have enough money to import a car. Can you tell me more about this rust proofing? and is it worth it? im guessing it would cost like 2000$ or more lol

if you are planning on getting rid of the car in a short time then I wouldn't waste your money trying to fix the rust. If you really want to get rid of it just sand it down, use a rust inhibitor like rustcheck or por15 and paint the spot just to cover it up. It's a quick and cheap fix but the rust will be back in 2-3 years. If you do the prep work yourself you can take it to a place like maaco and they will paint both quarters for about $300. The quality is eh but it's better than seeing rust in most cases.

Rustproofing is done to cars to prevent rust from occuring but it will most likely happen regardless. For rust proofing to be applied the area will have to be free of rust otherwise it won't work. There are three major rustproofing options; electronic module, tar like spray/undercoating, and an oil based spray. Not sure how well the electronic one works but it's supposed to change the charge of the metal and make it rust resistant.  The tar based one is essentially just a goopy tar they spray to the underside of your car or in wheel wells. It's dirty and messy but it stops water and salt from penetrating it. Oil based sprays get sprayed into different areas of the car (doors, fenders, etc.) and the oil prevents water and salt from getting to exposed metal. Price can range from $100-$1000+ and results may vary. 
                    2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                    2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

August 12, 2015, 09:14 PM #10

Kc_ Offline

• Kc_ has no influence.
                      Originally posted by Igor
                      if you are planning on getting rid of the car in a short time then I wouldn't waste your money trying to fix the rust. If you really want to get rid of it just sand it down, use a rust inhibitor like rustcheck or por15 and paint the spot just to cover it up. It's a quick and cheap fix but the rust will be back in 2-3 years. If you do the prep work yourself you can take it to a place like maaco and they will paint both quarters for about $300. The quality is eh but it's better than seeing rust in most cases.

Rustproofing is done to cars to prevent rust from occuring but it will most likely happen regardless. For rust proofing to be applied the area will have to be free of rust otherwise it won't work. There are three major rustproofing options; electronic module, tar like spray/undercoating, and an oil based spray. Not sure how well the electronic one works but it's supposed to change the charge of the metal and make it rust resistant.  The tar based one is essentially just a goopy tar they spray to the underside of your car or in wheel wells. It's dirty and messy but it stops water and salt from penetrating it. Oil based sprays get sprayed into different areas of the car (doors, fenders, etc.) and the oil prevents water and salt from getting to exposed metal. Price can range from $100-$1000+ and results may vary. 

Thanks for the detailed answer! I might try rust proofing the car that im going to import since they're more prone to rust. Guess i'll just sand it down for now... Or till wait next summer lol

+rep

August 13, 2015, 08:26 AM #11

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                        • Reputation Power: 199
                        • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                        Another way to avoid rust is to not winter drive it, if you can afford / put up with having a second mode of transportaiton.
                        Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                        I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

August 13, 2015, 10:18 AM #12

Kc_ Offline

• Kc_ has no influence.
                          Originally posted by jordisonjr
                          Another way to avoid rust is to not winter drive it, if you can afford / put up with having a second mode of transportaiton.

Thats the opposite of what im planning to do lol. It's my first car using it as a daily til i save up enough money

Top Tier Imports

how to prevent and remove rust?
                            « Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 10:18 AM »