Author Topic: Testing the Newest Extreme Performance Summer Tires: Witnessing the Evolution of  (Read 837 times)

August 19, 2015, 10:32 PM #0

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
  • Reputation Power: 183
  • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
Tires Tested

BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 88W)
 •What We Liked: Very civilized on the road for an Extreme Performance Summer tire
 •What We'd Improve: Brighten up steering response and add a little ultimate dry performance
 •Conclusion: Good blend of track performance plus manners you can live with during everyday driving

Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
 •What We Liked: Impressive traction and handling makes it easy to drive fast
 •What We'd Improve: Reduce road noise level
 •Conclusion: The most capable Extreme Performance Summer tire to date

Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
 •What We Liked: Balanced road manners and longer treadlife during hard driving
 •What We'd Improve: Bump up traction a little
 •Conclusion: Solid performance, but can't quite keep up with the latest tires

Kumho Ecsta V720 (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
 •What We Liked: Impressive traction and stable handling
 •What We'd Improve: Reduce high level of tread noise
 •Conclusion: A great performer that puts Kumho back in the Extreme Performance tire game

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=202
Click here to read the meat and potatoes of the article.

Summary
If you want the highest level of traction and handling in a true street tire and are willing to give up civilized manners to get it, then an Extreme Performance Summer tire fits the bill. All four of the tires in our test deliver amazing traction and handling in dry conditions along with impressive wet grip. The newest designs offer the best outright performance, but are evolving to be much less street-friendly in the process.

Subjectively the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S outscores the other tires by a small margin, combining strong performance with reasonable road manners. But when it comes to ultimate dry and wet performance among this group, the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R is the top rung on the evolutionary ladder. The Kumho Ecsta V720 gives the Potenza RE-71R a run for its money by delivering impressive dry performance, but brings along road manners so extreme that it's not for the faint of heart and not well suited to daily commuter duty. The Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) holds its own against tough competition, but from an outright performance perspective it's clear that newer designs are a little faster.

Top Tier Imports

August 20, 2015, 01:58 AM #1

Canadian CD9A Offline

• Vehicle: AP1 - CD9A - 5F07F
    • Reputation Power: 44
    • Canadian CD9A might someday be someone...Canadian CD9A might someday be someone...Canadian CD9A might someday be someone...Canadian CD9A might someday be someone...
    Oh wow, I didn't know Kumho was back at it. Strangely absent is the Dunlop Z2 Star Spec, however.
    Originally posted by: Forced Performance
    Your significant other can only be mad for a while but your car can be slow forever.
    Quote (selected)
    The perfect race car is the fastest thing on the track and then explodes after crossing the finish line.
    AWD Turbo Whiners Club

August 20, 2015, 07:04 AM #2

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
      • Reputation Power: 183
      • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
      Originally posted by Canadian CD9A
      Oh wow, I didn't know Kumho was back at it. Strangely absent is the Dunlop Z2 Star Spec, however.
      My guess is that one of those tire manufacturers paid for the test that day and told the other guys to keep it a secret so Dunlop wouldn't show up and destroy everybody.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

August 20, 2015, 01:20 PM #3

TonyPajamaz Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Audi A4, 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata
        • Reputation Power: 78
        • TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.
        Good post Mike!

Always interesting to see how the new batch of tires perform against each other.

Originally posted by themikewoo

Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
         •What We Liked: Balanced road manners and longer treadlife during hard driving
         •What We'd Improve: Bump up traction a little
         •Conclusion: Solid performance, but can't quite keep up with the latest tires

Having used these tires for 3/4 of a season so far i've really noticed this, even with a couple of co-drives. I haven't even swapped my tires front to back yet and looking at them you'd think I've only done a few events on them.

I'm excited that these will easily last 2 seasons, maybe even 3...I'm ok giving up a bit of grip for this luxury.
        [Jan 01 21:16:06] Faken:most steady hand/10

[Sep 23 14:27:56] Faken:i was focusing on dan's bum

August 20, 2015, 06:30 PM #4

Imprzme Offline

• Vehicle: '16 Legacy 3.6R
          • Reputation Power: 19
          • Imprzme has no influence.
          Originally posted by Canadian CD9A

I think that's because it's not new anymore - was released last year, no?  All the ones in that list iirc were released this year.
          Save your breath - you'll need it to inflate your girlfriend

Top Tier Imports