Author Topic: Heated Seats  (Read 1746 times)

August 27, 2015, 02:59 PM #0

MarvinM10 Offline

  • Posts: 208
  • Join Date: Jun 2015
    Location: Westwood
  • Real Name: Ed
  • Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
Has anyone had aftermarket heated seats put in? If so where, how was price, service, etc.  Looking for my wifes Mz5.
Thanks
Laziness breeds efficiency

    Top Tier Imports

    Heated Seats
    « on: August 27, 2015, 02:59 PM »

    August 27, 2015, 03:31 PM #1

    Winter Beater Offline

    • Regular Member
    • Posts: 2,386
    • Join Date: Jul 2012
      Location: Winnipeg
    • Real Name: Al
    • Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
    • Reputation Power: 95
    • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
    Originally posted by MarvinM10
    Has anyone had aftermarket heated seats put in? If so where, how was price, service, etc.  Looking for my wifes Mz5.
    Thanks

    Ron's Upholstery does them. I believe the going rate is $600 for two seats. That's what it was back in the day when I installed them anyways.

      August 28, 2015, 07:03 AM #2

      NRG Offline

      • Regular Member
      • Posts: 329
      • Join Date: Mar 2012
        Location: East St Paul, Manitoba
      • Real Name: Sebastian
      • Vehicle: 2016 Jeep Wrangler
      • Reputation Power: 13
      • NRG has no influence.
      I have installed tons of them last 2 seasons working at Gas Performance. go check them out. quality kits. 

        August 28, 2015, 11:49 PM #3

        HBeat Offline

        • Posts: 49
        • Join Date: Aug 2012
          Location: St. B
        • Real Name: Barry
        • Vehicle: 1991 Honda Beat
        • Reputation Power: 2
        • HBeat has no influence.
        I've installed 7 of these over the last few years and they work well.
        Hi/Off/Low. Peel off the seat covers, stick on panels, then recover. +12Vdc and -ground. Simple.
        I've gotten them for $25CAN delivered per seat.
        These carbon cross hatch ones can be trimmed and are way better than those nichrome wire Dorman units. We love them in the winter, and I don't even have to wait for/turn on the vent heat on the way to work.

        http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-seats-12V-Universal-Heated-Seat-Heater-Kit-carbon-fiber-round-Hi-Lo-switch-/261485388670?hash=item3ce1be637e
        3 cyl ITB 650cc. MR

          August 29, 2015, 12:08 AM #4

          benz88 Offline

          • Posts: 2,642
          • Join Date: Mar 2012
            Location: Area51
          • Reputation Power: 60
          • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
          Originally posted by HBeat
          I've installed 7 of these over the last few years and they work well.
          Hi/Off/Low. Peel off the seat covers, stick on panels, then recover. +12Vdc and -ground. Simple.
          I've gotten them for $25CAN delivered per seat.
          These carbon cross hatch ones can be trimmed and are way better than those nichrome wire Dorman units. We love them in the winter, and I don't even have to wait for/turn on the vent heat on the way to work.

          http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-seats-12V-Universal-Heated-Seat-Heater-Kit-carbon-fiber-round-Hi-Lo-switch-/261485388670?hash=item3ce1be637e
          Was thinking of these to replace the burnt out ones in my factory heated seats. OEM replacements are 100/each and I need 2 lol
          '91 240sx Hatch
          '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
          '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
          '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
          '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

            August 29, 2015, 12:15 PM #5

            MarvinM10 Offline

            • Posts: 208
            • Join Date: Jun 2015
              Location: Westwood
            • Real Name: Ed
            • Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
            • Reputation Power: 25
            • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
            Thanks all. I'm not entirely comfortable with electric s**t though. I've found HEATZZ here in wpg, has anyone used them? They list for 245$ per seat installed.
            Laziness breeds efficiency

              August 30, 2015, 11:07 AM #6

              Dan

              Originally posted by HBeat
              I've installed 7 of these over the last few years and they work well.
              Hi/Off/Low. Peel off the seat covers, stick on panels, then recover. +12Vdc and -ground. Simple.
              I've gotten them for $25CAN delivered per seat.
              These carbon cross hatch ones can be trimmed and are way better than those nichrome wire Dorman units. We love them in the winter, and I don't even have to wait for/turn on the vent heat on the way to work.

              http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-seats-12V-Universal-Heated-Seat-Heater-Kit-carbon-fiber-round-Hi-Lo-switch-/261485388670?hash=item3ce1be637e

              Can you tell me why you dont like the dorman units?  I'm curious about this.

                August 31, 2015, 12:52 AM #7

                HBeat Offline

                • Posts: 49
                • Join Date: Aug 2012
                  Location: St. B
                • Real Name: Barry
                • Vehicle: 1991 Honda Beat
                • Reputation Power: 2
                • HBeat has no influence.
                Originally posted by Dan
                Can you tell me why you dont like the dorman units?  I'm curious about this.
                Well the last Dorman kit I used had smallish heating pads. They used a continuous wire in the pad which means you can't trim them to conform to seams, and if that wire breaks, the whole pad goes dead. Also they have less of an even heat feel to them, like you can feel the heated wire on your but.  Plus they are twice the money. 
                3 cyl ITB 650cc. MR

                  November 16, 2015, 08:12 PM #8

                  Hoosierdaddy Offline

                  • Regular Member
                  • Posts: 225
                  • Join Date: Feb 2013
                    Location: Winnipeg
                  • Real Name: Adam
                  • Vehicle: 08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR
                  • Reputation Power: 5
                  • Hoosierdaddy has no influence.
                  For the guys that have done these installs I have a question.  Is the fabric on the seats generally glued to the seat or stapled or both?

                  I have recaro seats (evo x) and would be interested in installing some aftermarket heaters.

                    January 18, 2016, 09:39 AM #9

                    MarvinM10 Offline

                    • Posts: 208
                    • Join Date: Jun 2015
                      Location: Westwood
                    • Real Name: Ed
                    • Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
                    • Reputation Power: 25
                    • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
                    Realised I haven't updated so.... ended up going to GasPerformance in the waverly mall, it came to aprx 320$ installed for one seat, they were professional, on time and used the good carbon fiber pads. Wife picked location for switch and they were able to accomodate, she says its plenty warm.
                    Laziness breeds efficiency

                      January 20, 2016, 07:07 AM #10

                      NRG Offline

                      • Regular Member
                      • Posts: 329
                      • Join Date: Mar 2012
                        Location: East St Paul, Manitoba
                      • Real Name: Sebastian
                      • Vehicle: 2016 Jeep Wrangler
                      • Reputation Power: 13
                      • NRG has no influence.
                      Originally posted by MarvinM10
                      Realised I haven't updated so.... ended up going to GasPerformance in the waverly mall, it came to aprx 320$ installed for one seat, they were professional, on time and used the good carbon fiber pads. Wife picked location for switch and they were able to accomodate, she says its plenty warm.

                      i was the one who did the install for ya at Gas btw :)

                        January 20, 2016, 02:48 PM #11

                        MarvinM10 Offline

                        • Posts: 208
                        • Join Date: Jun 2015
                          Location: Westwood
                        • Real Name: Ed
                        • Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
                        • Reputation Power: 25
                        • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
                        Originally posted by NRG
                        i was the one who did the install for ya at Gas btw :)
                        Nice. thanks.
                        Laziness breeds efficiency

                          Top Tier Imports

                          Heated Seats
                          « Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 02:48 PM »