Author Topic: 1998 Honda Civic DX, rusty, take to autobody shop or sell?  (Read 752 times)

September 01, 2015, 06:42 PM #0

suburbanite Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Honda Civic DX hatchback
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • suburbanite has no influence.
Hey guys,

I'm from Winnipeg, and own a 1998 Honda Civic DX hatchbox 5 spd since new, with 100K on it. It's completely stock.

I'm not sure that I belong on this forum. Probably the only thing I have in common with most of you, is that I really like my car.  Maybe that's my problem.

But I don't treat it very well. And after 18 years of age, it's probably a fairly typical 6th gen Civic in Wpg. Mechanically, I think this is a very strong car. But it's definitely starting to rust, in the rear quarter panels, and likely everywhere else.

I'm not a "car guy", but my income is now decent. I can sell it for next to nothing, or I can throw money at it. Even if I was capable of doing it, there's no way I can restore it myself.

If you guys were in my situation, and wanted to keep it as completely stock, for another 10 or 15 years, or maybe even longer, would you?  Should I put, say, $5K into the body, and another $5K into suspension and other things? I don't want a mint machine. I want an above-average runner that can age gracefully along with me. :)

It's either that, or I buy a new sub-compact for $15K that lasts another 15 years. But, honestly, I just am not attracted at all to new cars, like I am to my old Civic...

If you tell me it's worth it to put money into it, I will.  Is the list of autobody shops in this section the recommended ones?

Thanks for any advice.

Top Tier Imports

1998 Honda Civic DX, rusty, take to autobody shop or sell?
    « on: September 01, 2015, 06:42 PM »

September 01, 2015, 07:08 PM #1

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
    • Reputation Power: 19
    • cluelessk has no influence.
    Don't start sinking money into an old rusted out car.

If you want a nice clean dd just find one in nicer shape.

5 grand won't go far in a properly done restoration with paint.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:11 PM by cluelessk
    [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

September 01, 2015, 08:02 PM #2

dolan Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 civic si
      • Reputation Power: 0
      • dolan is looked down upon.
      You can choose to do what you want with your car. The shop that I work at has an old tow truck that has been converted to just a simple flat deck. The owner of it is re-painting the outside and I have already welded in a passenger cab corner, two small patches on the inside of each door and a whole new door bottom on each. Also going to be redoing the drivers floor.

Its definitely all about are you really wanting to spend the money, or can you make the choice to sell it for what you can get and move onto something else?
      Dyllan Angelkovski (aka) Dyllan Africa

[Mar 27 22:16:27] Uncle Hugh Myron:i bet PEAVEY MART NOW OPEN has it

September 01, 2015, 10:26 PM #3

MarvinM10 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
        • Reputation Power: 25
        • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
        Originally posted by cluelessk
        Don't start sinking money into an old rusted out car.

If you want a nice clean dd just find one in nicer shape.

5 grand won't go far in a properly done restoration with paint.

what he said
        http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/Civic/Vancouver/British+Columbia/5_25032407_BS200510695116/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=6_15_115

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Laziness breeds efficiency

September 01, 2015, 11:22 PM #4

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
          • Reputation Power: 98
          • firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!
          Objectively, a 1998 Civic just isn't a good car anymore. It's up to you if you are sentimental enough to spend money keeping one alive just for nostalgia. Many do, but it's an emotional decision, not a financial one.

You could put $10k into and have a nice 1998 Civic, or just get a new car that outperforms it in every way but isn't your 1998 Civic.

September 02, 2015, 08:41 AM #5

JonnyAE86 Offline

• Vehicle: 84 Corolla, 2011 Ford Escape
            • Reputation Power: 23
            • JonnyAE86 barely matters.JonnyAE86 barely matters.
            Pics of the car/rust would be helpful.

But as pretty much everyone on here will say...Our cars aren't a financial investment, they are an investment in ourselves. We love our cars and the process of building them.

If you love you civic and have the cash, bring it back to life. Just don't expect to see the money returned when it comes time to sell it.

Do it for the car, do it for yourself, that's the only way to be happy.

September 02, 2015, 09:14 AM #6

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
              • Reputation Power: 80
              • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
              Originally posted by JonnyAE86
              Pics of the car/rust would be helpful.

But as pretty much everyone on here will say...Our cars aren't a financial investment, they are an investment in ourselves. We love our cars and the process of building them.

If you love you civic and have the cash, bring it back to life. Just don't expect to see the money returned when it comes time to sell it.

Do it for the car, do it for yourself, that's the only way to be happy.
              Couldn't say it better than this
              [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
              95 GTR- SOLD
              03 RSX-S - SOLD
              08 G6- wrekt
              10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 02, 2015, 05:28 PM #7

suburbanite Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Honda Civic DX hatchback
                • Reputation Power: 1
                • suburbanite has no influence.
                Thanks for the answers guys. If anyone else has opinions, please reply..

I guess if I decide to go this route, it'll be an emotional decision.

Can anyone recommend a body shop for me?  Obviously one that does good work, but also won't think that I'm *too* insane.. :)

I'll post pics later.  But imagine a generic 6th-gen Civic out there, most of its life parked in the sun (until I bought a house/garage a year ago), used mostly only once-a-week (to visit family out of town), and you'll get the idea.

Top Tier Imports

1998 Honda Civic DX, rusty, take to autobody shop or sell?
                  « Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 05:28 PM »