Author Topic: Get a dashcam  (Read 4559 times)

November 20, 2015, 12:06 PM #25

Stone Offline

• Vehicle: 2004 Subaru WRX
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Stone has no influence.
Saw 2 accidents yesterday, 1 was one car behind me. I think I'm going to invest in one.

Top Tier Imports

Get a dashcam
    « Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 12:06 PM »

April 07, 2016, 03:03 AM #26

jon08 Offline

• Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
    • Reputation Power: 29
    • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
    Originally posted by carterjalil
    Just ordered one of these
    http://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-Capacitance-G-Sensor-Stealth-Dashboard/dp/B00UUQD9L6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_sims?ie=UTF8
    I'll write a review on "weather performance" as soon as I get it

Hey! Thinking of getting the same (or latest if there's any) model, how's the performance so far (night and cold)? Please send me a link if you already wrote a review. Thanks!
    Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:07 AM by jon08
    Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

September 02, 2016, 08:41 AM #27

carterjalil Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Maxima SV - Sport
      • Reputation Power: 29
      • carterjalil barely matters.carterjalil barely matters.
      Hey all, the cam performs very well .
      This model is with a capacitor and not an internal battery, so you have to leave it plugged all the time or hardwire it somewhere.
      The reason i went with the capacitor is because the model with a battery is known to fail when temperatures dip below 15 degrees..and we live in Winnipeg.
      So far this one hasn't failed at minus 30 or +30 this summer and night vision is awesome. I'll probably get another one for the rear windshield.
      Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:49 AM by carterjalil

April 10, 2017, 02:35 PM #28

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
        • Reputation Power: 246
        • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
        Bumping this. After getting rear ended a third time (2 of which were hit and runs and I was stuck paying the deductible) I think it's time to pick up a dash cam. Looking for some recommendations on 2 channel cams for the front and back. Quality and parking mode are on the top of my requirement list. Did a bit of research already but want to see if anyone has had any experience with any of these.

Blackvue DR650S - 2CH
        • ~$450
        • Wi-Fi and GPS
        • Front Camera: 1080p @ 30fps w/ 129 degree view
        • Rear Camera: 720p @ 30fps w/ 129 degrees view
        • Bit rate: 10 mbps
        • Parking mode built in
        • 128gb Max memory

Thinkware F770
        • ~$520
        • Wi-Fi and GPS
        • Front Camera: 1080p @ 30fpss w/ 140 degree view
        • Rear Camera: 1080p @ 30fps w/ 140 degree view
        • Bit rate: 9 mbps
        • Parking mode built in
        • 64GB max memory

BlackSys CH-100B
        • ~$430 with external GPS ($400 without GPS)
        • Wi-Fi and optional GPS
        • Front Camera: 1080p @ 30fps w/ 135 degree view
        • Rear Camera: 720p @ 30fps w/ 130 degree view
        • Bit rate: 6 mbps
        • Parking mode built in
        • 128gb max memory

I'm kind of thinking to go with the Blackvue because I like the sleeker look of it but i'm not sure if the 720p rear camera is a bottleneck or not.

Thoughts?
        2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
        2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

April 10, 2017, 03:30 PM #29

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
          • Reputation Power: 84
          • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
          if you need to zoom in to get a plate, the 720 will be a little worse off than the 1080. That's about the only time I can see 720 not being good enough. it will be plenty good to show what happens in case you get rear ended and someone tries to say you backed into them.

April 10, 2017, 04:01 PM #30

Ctown8 Online

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
            • Reputation Power: 120
            • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
            Originally posted by Igor
            Bumping this. After getting rear ended a third time (2 of which were hit and runs and I was stuck paying the deductible) I think it's time to pick up a dash cam. Looking for some recommendations on 2 channel cams for the front and back. Quality and parking mode are on the top of my requirement list. Did a bit of research already but want to see if anyone has had any experience with any of these.

Blackvue DR650S - 2CH
            • ~$450
            • Wi-Fi and GPS
            • Parking mode built in
            • 128gb Max memory

Thinkware F770
            • ~$520
            • Wi-Fi and GPS
            • Front Camera: 1080p @ 30fpss w/ 140 degree view
            • Rear Camera: 1080p @ 30fps w/ 140 degree view
            • Bit rate: 9 mbps
            • Parking mode built in
            • 64GB max memory

BlackSys CH-100B
            • ~$430 with external GPS ($400 without GPS)
            • Wi-Fi and optional GPS
            • Front Camera: 1080p @ 30fps w/ 135 degree view
            • Rear Camera: 720p @ 30fps w/ 130 degree view
            • Bit rate: 6 mbps
            • Parking mode built in
            • 128gb max memory

I'm kind of thinking to go with the Blackvue because I like the sleeker look of it but i'm not sure if the 720p rear camera is a bottleneck or not.

Thoughts?

I have access to all of these, pm me for pricing if you like
            BAASSSSSSS
            I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
            My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
            Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

April 10, 2017, 07:42 PM #31

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
              • Reputation Power: 194
              • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
              Thoughts?

Do each of those choices have some sort of motion or bump detector while your parked? If not then the rear dash camera wouldn't help in your particular situation.

April 10, 2017, 07:48 PM #32

Igor Offline

• Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                Originally posted by themikewoo
                Do each of those choices have some sort of motion or bump detector while your parked? If not then the rear dash camera wouldn't help in your particular situation.

They all have an internal g shock sensor yes.

April 10, 2017, 09:22 PM #33

Imprzme Offline

• Vehicle: '16 Legacy 3.6R
                  • Reputation Power: 20
                  • Imprzme barely matters.Imprzme barely matters.
                  I run my Blackvue (front only, mind you) in 720p - zero issues with viewing anything
                  sample:

Save your breath - you'll need it to inflate your girlfriend

April 10, 2017, 09:59 PM #34

Igor Offline

I think im sold on the blackvue. Lmao clearly that person could not tell they had a flat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April 10, 2017, 11:10 PM #35

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                      • Reputation Power: 125
                      • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!

Blackvue DR650S - 2CH
                      • ~$450
                      • Wi-Fi and GPS
                      • Parking mode built in
                      • 128gb Max memory

Hey Igor, I have the DR650S - 1Ch. I got mine from Blackmycar.ca. @Ctown8 can hook you up though... I forgot at the time of purchase. Its a solid unit. High quality, low profile, customizable and a great price for the specs. Good night quality too, either low beams or full on light bar. It will not disappoint.

Mine had an issue, It wouldnt keep time. Every boot it would have to reboot once it connected to GPS. I mentioned it to Blackbox, they are doing a full RMA and waiving the Dead On Arrival - 7 Day period and I just sent it back to them. Great customer service, if you end up going through them. It appears that my camera is a fluke though, so dont be wary of them. Boot up time is generally about 20-35 seconds depending on temperature. 9 times out of 10 its recording by the time you hit the road.

The wifi works really well. The app itself has a good and intuitive layout. You can do Over-The-Air Firmware upgrades and video downloads. You never have to pull out the SD card. The PC/Mac Blackvue Viewer app is junk IMO however.

Parking mode will only work if you add in the Power Magic thingy. That will pull power as needed to provide the Dashcam with the parking capability. It has voltage cutoff and what not as to not drain the battery.

Opposed to direct wiring, you can do a Cellink B. Long lasting battery option. It can do a Single Channel up to 23 hours and a Dual Channel for 15 Hours or so. Blackboxmycar has good kit options and info. Colin can probably hook you up with the camera at a great price and then you could get a Cellink off the site.

To add on, Parking Modes only work on Li-Ion Batteried devices. Anything with a Super Capacitor will not be able to Park Mode without additional Power. However, Super Capacitors wont blow up while baking at 60degrees, will boot faster, and will have a longer life span than a Li-Ion.
                      Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:17 PM by Colby
                      '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                      '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                      IG: colby_spence
                      Snap: cspence47

April 11, 2017, 09:52 AM #36

Ctown8 Online

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                        Were making an order of dash cams right now so if you guys want to do a group buy I can arrange that.
                        BAASSSSSSS
                        I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                        My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

April 11, 2017, 10:27 AM #37

Igor Offline

Originally posted by Colby
                          Hey Igor, I have the DR650S - 1Ch. I got mine from Blackmycar.ca. @Ctown8 can hook you up though... I forgot at the time of purchase. Its a solid unit. High quality, low profile, customizable and a great price for the specs. Good night quality too, either low beams or full on light bar. It will not disappoint.

Mine had an issue, It wouldnt keep time. Every boot it would have to reboot once it connected to GPS. I mentioned it to Blackbox, they are doing a full RMA and waiving the Dead On Arrival - 7 Day period and I just sent it back to them. Great customer service, if you end up going through them. It appears that my camera is a fluke though, so dont be wary of them. Boot up time is generally about 20-35 seconds depending on temperature. 9 times out of 10 its recording by the time you hit the road.

The wifi works really well. The app itself has a good and intuitive layout. You can do Over-The-Air Firmware upgrades and video downloads. You never have to pull out the SD card. The PC/Mac Blackvue Viewer app is junk IMO however.

Parking mode will only work if you add in the Power Magic thingy. That will pull power as needed to provide the Dashcam with the parking capability. It has voltage cutoff and what not as to not drain the battery.

Opposed to direct wiring, you can do a Cellink B. Long lasting battery option. It can do a Single Channel up to 23 hours and a Dual Channel for 15 Hours or so. Blackboxmycar has good kit options and info. Colin can probably hook you up with the camera at a great price and then you could get a Cellink off the site.

To add on, Parking Modes only work on Li-Ion Batteried devices. Anything with a Super Capacitor will not be able to Park Mode without additional Power. However, Super Capacitors wont blow up while baking at 60degrees, will boot faster, and will have a longer life span than a Li-Ion.

Thanks for the feedback Colby. I would definitely go with the Power Magic Pro. I'd say 75% of the reason I want a dash cam is for parking. What size card do you have in yours? Is the 16gb enough or should I purchase something larger? I was planning on picking up a 64gb from Amazon since they have some good deals going on right now.

April 11, 2017, 10:37 AM #38

Colby Offline

• Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
                            Thanks for the feedback Colby. I would definitely go with the Power Magic Pro. I'd say 75% of the reason I want a dash cam is for parking. What size card do you have in yours? Is the 16gb enough or should I purchase something larger? I was planning on picking up a 64gb from Amazon since they have some good deals going on right now.
                            I have a 64gb in mine. They have to be a minimum class card... U1 I think? I'd have to check the manual/website but the read/write speeds need to be met otherwise the card will fail to initialize for BlackVue dashcam use.

64 allows about about 15 hours of continuous footage IIRC. The 16 is only like 3 hours. I would assume that the dual channel is even less than that. So you would only have like 2 hours of parking recordings. If you park longer than that and someone hit you early enough, it'll be wiped and recorded over. I'd say go 64 or 128. That way you are much less likely to get boned. And you won't be forced to use a lower quality bit rate/resolution because you cheaped on the card

April 11, 2017, 10:46 AM #39

Igor Offline

I have a 64gb in mine. They have to be a minimum class card... U1 I think? I'd have to check the manual/website but the read/write speeds need to be met otherwise the card will fail to initialize for BlackVue dashcam use.

64 allows about about 15 hours of continuous footage IIRC. The 16 is only like 3 hours. I would assume that the dual channel is even less than that. So you would only have like 2 hours of parking recordings. If you park longer than that and someone hit you early enough, it'll be wiped and recorded over. I'd say go 64 or 128. That way you are much less likely to get boned. And you won't be forced to use a lower quality bit rate/resolution because you cheaped on the card

Ordered the Blackvue through BRA.

If someone hit my car wouldn't the camera automatically lock the footage from getting erased as it flags it as an incident?

I checked a few pages online and most people are recommending the Lexar 663x cards which are U1 class 10 cards.

April 11, 2017, 10:50 AM #40

Colby Offline

Ordered the Blackvue through BRA.

If someone hit my car wouldn't the camera automatically lock the footage from getting erased as it flags it as an incident?

I checked a few pages online and most people are recommending the Lexar 663x cards which are U1 class 10 cards.
                                It tags it as event footage. I don't know if it "locks" it however. I haven't looked to see if that's the case.

That's the card I have! It will work

April 21, 2017, 11:20 PM #41

Colby Offline

Blackboxmycar pulled a real solid and waived their Dead on Arrival 7 day policy and did a RMA. They covered shipping, diagnoses based on my experience, tested and replaced it promptly. Only 2 weeks down time, not bad at all considering they are in Vancouver.... new one seems to be working 100%. I'll have more time with it this upcoming week as I'm gone for the weekend. If BRA can't help you out, I'd recommend them as a backup option

April 22, 2017, 09:47 AM #42

Ctown8 Online

Blackboxmycar pulled a real solid and waived their Dead on Arrival 7 day policy and did a RMA. They covered shipping, diagnoses based on my experience, tested and replaced it promptly. Only 2 weeks down time, not bad at all considering they are in Vancouver.... new one seems to be working 100%. I'll have more time with it this upcoming week as I'm gone for the weekend. If BRA can't help you out, I'd recommend them as a backup option

We had one DOA too yesterday, luckily we had one as back up in stock!
                                    BAASSSSSSS

April 22, 2017, 11:23 AM #43

Igor Offline

Hmmm maybe I should wire mine up soon and see if it's working

April 22, 2017, 12:11 PM #44

Ctown8 Online

Hmmm maybe I should wire mine up soon and see if it's working

It was the pmp that had an issue, the cam worked fine at least.
                                        BAASSSSSSS

Top Tier Imports

Get a dashcam
                                          « Reply #44 on: April 22, 2017, 12:11 PM »