Author Topic: Storing your wheels  (Read 2495 times)

September 22, 2015, 12:17 PM #0

Dan

With the wheels about to come off for the season, i'm curious if anyone has some suggestions on "how to" store them properly.

I plan on keeping them in the basement, with a few towels in between.   Will also be cleaning them and giving them a sealant to protect them when its time to put them on.

Let us know you're methods and suggestions!

Thanks  :banana:

Top Tier Imports

Storing your wheels
    « on: September 22, 2015, 12:17 PM »

September 22, 2015, 12:22 PM #1

Nhil Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Honda S2000
    • Reputation Power: 90
    • Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!
    I stack them in a corner. They're metal so I really hope they don't melt in the extreme temperatures of my basement.
    [Mar 02 10:56:01] TwoFourDee:..ever
    [Mar 02 10:55:59] TwoFourDee:nobody quote me on that
    [Mar 02 10:55:56] TwoFourDee:I actually like those rotas

September 22, 2015, 12:30 PM #2

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
      • Reputation Power: 193
      • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
      I bring mine to the cabin, and put them in the shed.
      On a wood floor, stacked with a packing blanket between each so they don't somehow manage to scratch each other if they're moved around.
      Originally posted by Madbuzz41
      I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

September 22, 2015, 12:31 PM #3

pjcarey Offline

• Vehicle: 1983 toyota supra gts 2009 Kia rio5
        • Reputation Power: 55
        • pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.
        store them on a tire rack here at the dealership!
        [Feb 23 16:03:56] Dan:gotta laugh it off, can't take shiz seriously

Link to my supra album all photos taken and edited by Colby Spence (@BD5)  https://www.flickr.com/photos/colbyspence/sets/72157647259073436/

September 22, 2015, 12:33 PM #4

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
          • Reputation Power: 80
          • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
          Seasonal storage  I do the same, the only step I add is letting the air out so the tires are relaxed on the wheel.  I don't feel that it's needed but I do it anyways.
          [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
          95 GTR- SOLD
          03 RSX-S - SOLD
          08 G6- wrekt
          10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 22, 2015, 12:38 PM #5

CodyLoewen Offline

• Reputation Power: 40
            • CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...
            I stack them in a corner w/ tires. Nothing too special about it.
            1999 Honda Civic

[Feb 22 16:57:22] Shaun:i dont wanna be friends with fence posts 

Faken:if i get this promtion.. i might get a convertible..
            Shaun:a convertible what? pen? yes this pen turns into a coupon holder.

September 22, 2015, 12:41 PM #6

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
              • Reputation Power: 10
              • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
              Why do you guys take your wheels off?
              I leave mine on the car just make sure the air is pumped up to avoid flat spots.
              What are you guys putting on your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 22, 2015, 12:42 PM #7

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
                • Reputation Power: 82
                • Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
                Since heat and exposure to the elements are the important factors that influence a tire's aging process, drivers can prolong their tire's life by minimizing their impact. Here are some tips for storing tires that will not be used continuously.

Don't store a vehicle with weight on its tires for extended periods of time. Long-term inactivity is more harmful to tires than weekly drives that flex the tires and help maintain oil dispersion within the rubber compounds.
                Keep the tires out of direct sunlight whenever possible. The sun's ultraviolet rays and radiant heat are detrimental to rubber. We have used a pyrometer to measure tires that were simply sitting in direct sunlight on a parked vehicle. Surprisingly those tires' temperatures measured 135 Fahrenheit on their surface.
                Before storing, use a tire brush to clean each tire with soap and water to remove brake dust, dirt and grime. If the tires are still mounted on wheels, use a wheel brush to clean the wheels with an approved cleaner as well. Dry with a towel and let any remaining moisture thoroughly evaporate.
                DO NOT APPLY ANY TIRE DRESSINGS. Tire compounds are formulated to resist ozone cracking or weather checking.
                Place each clean and dry tire in its own large, opaque, airtight plastic bag (such as lawn and garden bags) for storing. Avoid allowing any moisture to remain and remove as much air as practical (some drivers even use a vacuum cleaner to draw out as much as possible). Close the bag tightly and tape it shut. This places the tire in its own personal mini-atmosphere to help reduce oil evaporation.
                While Seasonal Tire Totes make it neater to store tires, easier to carry tires and reduce the possibility of depositing brake dust, dirt and grime in the trunk or on the back seat during transportation, Seasonal Tire Totes are not airtight nor designed to prevent exposure to the atmosphere. The recommended solution would be to place each clean tire and wheel into the airtight plastic bag and then cover the sealed bag with a Tire Tote.
                If you choose not to store white letter/white stripe tires in plastic bags, it is important they be stored or stacked white-to-white and black-to-black to prevent staining the white rubber. The black rubber used on the tires' white letter/white stripe side is compounded differently then the black rubber used on the opposite side. A layer of non-staining black rubber covers the white rubber on the tire's white side to prevent oils in the tire from migrating into the exposed white rubber and discoloring it; however the black sidewall uses standard rubber. Stacking all tires white sidewall up will allow the oils from each tire's black sidewall to migrate into the white rubber of the tire below it.
                Place the tires in a cool, dry location. It is better to store tires in a dry basement or climate-controlled workshop than in a standard garage, storage shed, hot attic or outdoors. While basement and shop surroundings tend to remain cool and dry, conditions found in typical garage, shed, attic and outdoor locations often include a wide range of hot and cold temperatures, as well as seasonal precipitation and humidity.
                Keep the tires away from sources of ozone. Electric motors that use contact brushes generate ozone. Keep your tires away from the furnace, sump pump, etc.
                While tires will age somewhat regardless of what precautions are taken, these procedures will help slow the process compared to taking no precautions at all.
                EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

September 22, 2015, 12:46 PM #8

DonR Offline

• DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
                  [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
                  95 GTR- SOLD
                  03 RSX-S - SOLD
                  08 G6- wrekt
                  10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 22, 2015, 01:11 PM #9

heiyuu Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Civic, 05 Frontier, 98 Integra, 93 180sx
                    • Reputation Power: 34
                    • heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.
                    I bought 5 tires racks, each one is like 48 inches wide, so that holes like 4 or 5 wheels each.

I sold some of my "shoe" collection so I think 5 racks should be enough.

Prior to this, i just stacked them on cardboard

September 22, 2015, 01:43 PM #10

Dan

Originally posted by heiyuu
                      I bought 5 tires racks, each one is like 48 inches wide, so that holes like 4 or 5 wheels each.

I sold some of my "shoe" collection so I think 5 racks should be enough.

Prior to this, i just stacked them on cardboard

you make too much money.

Thanks all for the tips.   Big thanks to @Matthew for the detailed post!

September 22, 2015, 02:02 PM #11

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                        • Reputation Power: 364
                        • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                        Why do you guys take your wheels off?
                        I leave mine on the car just make sure the air is pumped up to avoid flat spots.
                        What are you guys putting on your car?

Winter tires?

September 22, 2015, 02:03 PM #12

Madbuzz41 Offline

Originally posted by Shaun
                          Winter tires?

Oh I store the whole car .. That's why I was confused

September 22, 2015, 02:05 PM #13

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                            • Reputation Power: 190
                            • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                            My racing tires (summer only rated) goes into the basement where it is heated. My all seasons for the other cars goes in the shed.

September 22, 2015, 02:11 PM #14

Dan

Oh I store the whole car .. That's why I was confused

The car is not being driven this winter, but i dont feel like leaving my wheels on the car over the winter.  (it will be outside)

September 22, 2015, 02:11 PM #15

Madbuzz41 Offline

Originally posted by Dan
                                The car is not being driven this winter, but i dont feel like leaving my wheels on the car over the winter.  (it will be outside)

What will your car be sitting on?

September 22, 2015, 02:12 PM #16

Dan

What will your car be sitting on?

Steel wheels with junk tires. (dont care as long as it holds air)

September 22, 2015, 02:13 PM #17

themikewoo Offline

Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                                    • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                                    Originally posted by Dan

Be sure to inflate the wheels to near maximum PSI. You will lose air.

September 22, 2015, 02:13 PM #18

Madbuzz41 Offline

Originally posted by Dan

I store my car in my garage , even though the car sits on its tires is that bad? Not exposed to the elements.

September 22, 2015, 02:16 PM #19

themikewoo Offline

Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                                        I store my car in my garage , even though the car sits on its tires is that bad? Not exposed to the elements.

I like to park the car on some scrap pieces of wood/particle board. This acts as a barrier.

September 22, 2015, 02:21 PM #20

DonR Offline

is your garage heated?
                                          leaving the weight on them all winter could leave you with flat spots, I say could because I've heard of it happening but never had it happen to me

89 240SX- SOLD
                                          95 GTR- SOLD
                                          03 RSX-S - SOLD
                                          08 G6- wrekt
                                          10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 22, 2015, 02:22 PM #21

Madbuzz41 Offline

Originally posted by DonR
                                            is your garage heated?
                                            leaving the weight on them all winter could leave you with flat spots, I say could because I've heard of it happening but never had it happen to me

No not headed(could be but I don't run the heaters) but VERY well insulated. Was built 10 years ago.

September 22, 2015, 02:25 PM #22

DonR Offline

No not headed(could be but I don't run the heaters) but VERY well insulated. Was built 10 years ago.

should be okay with what themikewoo mentioned,
                                              if you have further concerns you could always leave the wheels on but put the car on stands to get the weight off of the tires.

89 240SX- SOLD
                                              95 GTR- SOLD
                                              03 RSX-S - SOLD
                                              08 G6- wrekt
                                              10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 22, 2015, 02:26 PM #23

Madbuzz41 Offline

if you have further concerns you could always leave the wheels on but put the car on stands to get the weight off of the tires.

Thank you!

September 22, 2015, 02:30 PM #24

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                                  • Reputation Power: 193
                                                  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                                  I wouldn't do this.
                                                  Did it one year I stored my car and wouldn't do it again. It keeps the suspension at an unnatural (sagging) position.
                                                  I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

Top Tier Imports

Storing your wheels
                                                    « Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 02:30 PM »