Author Topic: Storing your wheels  (Read 2496 times)

September 22, 2015, 02:36 PM #25

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
Originally posted by jordisonjr
I wouldn't do this.
Did it one year I stored my car and wouldn't do it again. It keeps the suspension at an unnatural (sagging) position.
If I were to go the route of taking weight off of the wheels I'd remove the tires and lower the car onto wood blocks to keep the suspension at a natural position
[Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
95 GTR- SOLD
03 RSX-S - SOLD
08 G6- wrekt
10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

Top Tier Imports

Storing your wheels
    « Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 02:36 PM »

September 22, 2015, 02:45 PM #26

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
    • Reputation Power: 95
    • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
    I wouldn't do this.
    Did it one year I stored my car and wouldn't do it again. It keeps the suspension at an unnatural (sagging) position.

Agreed. I'd rather keep weight on the suspension and have the car at normal ride height.

September 22, 2015, 02:58 PM #27

Dan

I wouldn't do this.

i think he meant also putting blocks under the control arms and the frame/pinch welds (we spoke about that last week in a PM)

September 22, 2015, 03:04 PM #28

Alex2NF Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Subaru BRZ - 2004 Toyota 4Runner
        • Reputation Power: 234
        • Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!
        It all depends on the tire you're running. if you have a high end summer tire, then yeah, take extra precautions. If you're running anything else, just park the car and make snowmen all day long.
        13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
        04 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sport
        ∞ Toyota Echo Race Car
        98 Acura Integra Race Car 2
        IG: @alexdbrz / Twitter: @ToyotaWinnipeg / Snap: OilMyPencil

September 22, 2015, 03:05 PM #29

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
          • Reputation Power: 193
          • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
          Originally posted by Dan
          i think he meant also putting blocks under the control arms and the frame/pinch welds (we spoke about that last week in a PM)
          Either way, its still an unnatural position for a car. Bearing on the control arms is a different load transfer than bearing on the studs/wheels.
          If you're Really worried about your tires. Buy some crappy old wheels/tires that hold air that you don't plan to drive on.
          Originally posted by Madbuzz41
          I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

September 22, 2015, 03:56 PM #30

Alex2NF Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Subaru BRZ - 2004 Toyota 4Runner
            • Reputation Power: 234
            • Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!
            Either way, its still an unnatural position for a car. Bearing on the control arms is a different load transfer than bearing on the studs/wheels.
            If you're Really worried about your tires. Buy some crappy old wheels/tires that hold air that you don't plan to drive on.

almost every single new car dealer stores their cars outside year round. Some of their inventory will sit over the course of a winter and not move. All of them drive fine and none come back with square tires lol
            13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
            04 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sport
            ∞ Toyota Echo Race Car
            98 Acura Integra Race Car 2
            IG: @alexdbrz / Twitter: @ToyotaWinnipeg / Snap: OilMyPencil

September 22, 2015, 04:07 PM #31

Dan

lol all i can think of is

September 22, 2015, 04:13 PM #32

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
                • Reputation Power: 67
                • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
                I used to take my Dunlops and Works off the civic when I stored it.
                Put the OEM wheels on with the junk Michelins.
                If I got a flat spot, I wasn't concerned.

The Works & Dunlops were stacked neatly in my closet. A garbage bag over each wheel, and a towel in between.

September 22, 2015, 04:49 PM #33

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
                  • Reputation Power: 106
                  • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                  Stacks in the basement. Kal Tire is storing my winters for me because I ran out of room and I'm lazy.

September 22, 2015, 05:36 PM #34

DonR Offline

• DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
                    TWEEL problem solved
                    [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
                    95 GTR- SOLD
                    03 RSX-S - SOLD
                    08 G6- wrekt
                    10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 22, 2015, 06:43 PM #35

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                      • Reputation Power: 236
                      • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                      Like this

2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                      2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

September 22, 2015, 07:53 PM #36

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                        • Reputation Power: 19
                        • cluelessk has no influence.
                        Originally posted by Matthew
                        Since heat and exposure to the elements are the important factors that influence a tire's aging process, drivers can prolong their tire's life by minimizing their impact. Here are some tips for storing tires that will not be used continuously.

Don't store a vehicle with weight on its tires for extended periods of time. Long-term inactivity is more harmful to tires than weekly drives that flex the tires and help maintain oil dispersion within the rubber compounds.
                        Keep the tires out of direct sunlight whenever possible. The sun's ultraviolet rays and radiant heat are detrimental to rubber. We have used a pyrometer to measure tires that were simply sitting in direct sunlight on a parked vehicle. Surprisingly those tires' temperatures measured 135 Fahrenheit on their surface.
                        Before storing, use a tire brush to clean each tire with soap and water to remove brake dust, dirt and grime. If the tires are still mounted on wheels, use a wheel brush to clean the wheels with an approved cleaner as well. Dry with a towel and let any remaining moisture thoroughly evaporate.
                        DO NOT APPLY ANY TIRE DRESSINGS. Tire compounds are formulated to resist ozone cracking or weather checking.
                        Place each clean and dry tire in its own large, opaque, airtight plastic bag (such as lawn and garden bags) for storing. Avoid allowing any moisture to remain and remove as much air as practical (some drivers even use a vacuum cleaner to draw out as much as possible). Close the bag tightly and tape it shut. This places the tire in its own personal mini-atmosphere to help reduce oil evaporation.
                        While Seasonal Tire Totes make it neater to store tires, easier to carry tires and reduce the possibility of depositing brake dust, dirt and grime in the trunk or on the back seat during transportation, Seasonal Tire Totes are not airtight nor designed to prevent exposure to the atmosphere. The recommended solution would be to place each clean tire and wheel into the airtight plastic bag and then cover the sealed bag with a Tire Tote.
                        If you choose not to store white letter/white stripe tires in plastic bags, it is important they be stored or stacked white-to-white and black-to-black to prevent staining the white rubber. The black rubber used on the tires' white letter/white stripe side is compounded differently then the black rubber used on the opposite side. A layer of non-staining black rubber covers the white rubber on the tire's white side to prevent oils in the tire from migrating into the exposed white rubber and discoloring it; however the black sidewall uses standard rubber. Stacking all tires white sidewall up will allow the oils from each tire's black sidewall to migrate into the white rubber of the tire below it.
                        Place the tires in a cool, dry location. It is better to store tires in a dry basement or climate-controlled workshop than in a standard garage, storage shed, hot attic or outdoors. While basement and shop surroundings tend to remain cool and dry, conditions found in typical garage, shed, attic and outdoor locations often include a wide range of hot and cold temperatures, as well as seasonal precipitation and humidity.
                        Keep the tires away from sources of ozone. Electric motors that use contact brushes generate ozone. Keep your tires away from the furnace, sump pump, etc.
                        While tires will age somewhat regardless of what precautions are taken, these procedures will help slow the process compared to taking no precautions at all.
                        Copy and pasted from Tire Rack?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

September 22, 2015, 08:12 PM #37

chesterfaustino Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT 4
                          • Reputation Power: 29
                          • chesterfaustino barely matters.chesterfaustino barely matters.
                          I use them as decoration in my room haha. As for my stock wheels I store them at the tire rack at work as I don't trust anyone with my summer wheels at work.
                          ~ 08 Dodge Caliber SRT 4 (summer daily)
                          ~ 93 Toyota Camry le (winter beater)

September 23, 2015, 08:04 AM #38

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                            • Reputation Power: 193
                            • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                            Originally posted by alexatwork21
                            almost every single new car dealer stores their cars outside year round. Some of their inventory will sit over the course of a winter and not move. All of them drive fine and none come back with square tires lol
                            They store them without wheels, and blocks under the control arms?
                            Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                            I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

September 24, 2015, 09:56 AM #39

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
                              • Reputation Power: 41
                              • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                              I wouldn't do this.

What's the downside of this?  Are your springs going to get longer over the winter?

I've got a wall mounted tire rack I store mine on, in a heated garage.
                              '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                              '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                              '04 Lexus GX470

September 24, 2015, 10:22 AM #40

Dan

Originally posted by IanB
                                What's the downside of this?  Are your springs going to get longer over the winter?

Puts stress on bushings. also puts stress on sway bar links, ball joints, etc... 

September 24, 2015, 10:26 AM #41

DonR Offline

same idea as how new suspension comes there's no weight on new struts/springs  I don't see a shelf life,  it would however possibly take a bit of driving to get your suspension to settle again

89 240SX- SOLD
                                  95 GTR- SOLD
                                  03 RSX-S - SOLD
                                  08 G6- wrekt
                                  10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 24, 2015, 01:19 PM #42

IanB Offline

• IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                                    Originally posted by Dan
                                    Puts stress on bushings. also puts stress on sway bar links, ball joints, etc... 

Those components will see more stress on the drive to pick up milk and bread than they will sitting at full droop for the winter.  The suspension is still within it's normal operating range, just without the weight of the vehicle on it. 

I'm not saying this is the right way to winter store your vehicle, I just don't see how it's going to do any harm.
                                    '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                    '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                                    '04 Lexus GX470

September 24, 2015, 03:12 PM #43

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
                                      • Reputation Power: 82
                                      • Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
                                      Originally posted by cluelessk
                                      Copy and pasted from Tire Rack?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

?????????
                                      EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

September 24, 2015, 04:51 PM #44

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
                                        • Reputation Power: 106
                                        • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                                        Those components will see more stress on the drive to pick up milk and bread than they will sitting at full droop for the winter.  The suspension is still within it's normal operating range, just without the weight of the vehicle on it. 

I'm not saying this is the right way to winter store your vehicle, I just don't see how it's going to do any harm.

No, bushings and ball joints are designed to be at rest in a certain position. They are designed to move within a range of motion and be at an ideal angle while at rest.They are not meant to be stressed at the angles of an unloaded suspension for months on end. This is the same reason lowering a car a lot will put extra wear on things like tie rod ends or other ball joints when the angle of the control arm/tie rod is extreme. It is the automotive equivalent of falling asleep with your arm in a bad position. You will wake up sore because of the stress on your joints.
                                        Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:54 PM by firelizard

September 24, 2015, 08:37 PM #45

IanB Offline

Originally posted by firelizard
                                          No, bushings and ball joints are designed to be at rest in a certain position. They are designed to move within a range of motion and be at an ideal angle while at rest.They are not meant to be stressed at the angles of an unloaded suspension for months on end. This is the same reason lowering a car a lot will put extra wear on things like tie rod ends or other ball joints when the angle of the control arm/tie rod is extreme. It is the automotive equivalent of falling asleep with your arm in a bad position. You will wake up sore because of the stress on your joints.

There may be some truth to this, but your elbow is fine within a few minutes of sleeping on it funny, it's not compromised, lol.  The stresses of being at full droop are static, if it's fine after a few hours, it's likely going to be just as fine after a few months I would think.  A lowered car is subjected to all the same stresses as any car being driven on the streets, but with the funny angles, it's a whole different situation that storing a car on jackstands.
                                          '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                          '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                                          '04 Lexus GX470

Top Tier Imports

Storing your wheels
                                            « Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 08:37 PM »