Author Topic: DIY: Tire Install Using Basic Tools  (Read 1277 times)

September 28, 2015, 12:55 PM #0

TeamSX4 Offline

• Vehicle: Suzuki SX4 AWD, mk3 Supra, H22 EK Hatch
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • TeamSX4 has no influence.
In this diy I'll be showing how I installed a tire onto a rim without the use of a tire machine. I don't recommend this method if you are installing low pros as you could end up damaging the rim and the bead of the tire. In my case, I used a 205/60R15 tire and I just wanted my tires installed on my rims for a test fit, so balancing wasn't required. If you are planning on driving long distances, get it done right at a tire shop and get them balanced. Bare with me, my photo bucket isn't showing up so had to attach all the pics at the bottom...

So here are the tools you will need: pliers, spray bottle with soapy water, rag, pry bar, compressor and air chuck, tire pressure gauge

Step 1: Cleaning. If you are installing used tires, clean the bead of the tire using a cleaning solution or soapy water and a rag, For used rims, you can use a wire brush on the lip to ensure you have a clean surface between the rims and the bead of the tire.

Step 2: install the new valve stem. This can be done using needle nose pliers by pushing it through with your hand on the back side and gently pulling and wiggling it through with the pliers. Be careful not to pull too hard with the pliers as you could damage the valve stem and cause leaks.

step 3: Lubrication. Use the bottle of soapy water to lube up the bead of the tire.

Step 4: With the rim sitting face up on the floor, push the tire onto the rim. This part is relatively easy and should pop right on. If not, you can follow the steps below.

Step 5: You will need to use your body weight for this one. The fatter you are, the better. Stand on top of the tire and push the bead of the tire onto the rim as far as you can. Next you can use a pry bar to pop the tire on the rest of the way. Pry it on inch by inch and use your body weight to keep it from popping off.

Step 6: Now we need to set the bead. Be sure to keep your fingers clear of the bead and for the love of all that is good, wear safety glasses. Start filling up the tire with air. As it fills up, the bead will "pop" into place. Then fill it to the desired tire pressure.

Step 7: check for leaks using the soapy water around the bead and valve stem. If you see no bubbles, you're good to go.

Again, I was only using this method for a test fit, and didn't want to spend $80 at CT for a 2 minute job. If you are planning on driving a lot on your tires, definitely get them installed and balanced properly.   
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:12 PM by Ænimal
Check out more MT Garage projects here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhOCbO0kLDuVIAILbYdIQg

Top Tier Imports

DIY: Tire Install Using Basic Tools
    « on: September 28, 2015, 12:55 PM »

September 28, 2015, 02:34 PM #1

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
    • Reputation Power: 80
    • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
    this process would prove itself to be a lot more difficult when it came to a 30 series tire vs a 60 series.  but can still be done  tire guys will understand the machines are so nice now-a-days
    [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
    95 GTR- SOLD
    03 RSX-S - SOLD
    08 G6- wrekt
    10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 28, 2015, 08:42 PM #2

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by DonR
      this process would prove itself to be a lot more difficult when it came to a 30 series tire vs a 60 series.  but can still be done  tire guys will understand the machines are so nice now-a-days
      I agree 100%. If I still had a machine at work, I would have used it hands down. I definitely recommend using a machine for low pros.

October 08, 2015, 11:25 PM #3

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
        • Reputation Power: 108
        • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
        I would recommend picking up a pair of tire levers, for motorcycle tires. But yeah, crowbar is nearly the same thing and easier to find.

Good luck to anybody doing this with the hopes of not scratching or worse, bending the wheel lips.
        Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:27 PM by firelizard

October 09, 2015, 01:51 AM #4

ACiFiC Offline

• Vehicle: x2 Eunos
          • Reputation Power: 85
          • ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.

Originally posted by firelizard
          I would recommend picking up a pair of tire levers, for motorcycle tires.

This.

Use a plastic jug of some sort, cut it up
          And put it between the iron and the wheel help save the finish & I would put two 2x4's or some sort of wood on the other side of the wheel  as well
          Originally posted by Winter Beater
          If a car is shows that a solid effort was made, and the car is reasonably well executed I can respect that. Even if it's not my cup of tea..

November 09, 2015, 07:29 PM #5

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
            • Reputation Power: 108
            • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.

November 18, 2015, 11:50 PM #6

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by firelizard
            http://www.facebook.com/OptionStyle/videos/1069272359763138/
            lol if Chuck Norris were to install tires. Just when you think is guy can't get any more bad ass, he sets them on fire

Top Tier Imports

DIY Tire Install Using Basic Tools
              « Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 11:50 PM »