Author Topic: Winter Tires  (Read 1128 times)

September 30, 2015, 12:26 PM #0

MarvinM10 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
As the season approaches, I thought I'd start a thread to post reviews, opinions and such for winter tires.
 To start, this is one of my big peeves/passions about car safety. I am a strong believer in getting winter tires, ANY winter tires are better than all seasons or, of course, summers. Over the years I've put them on all my vehicles, from 5.0 mustang to minivans.
Make sure to buy a full set of 4. There's nothing like putting them on the drive wheels, then finding out you cant turn(RWD) or your rear leading the way to the curb(FWD) when you thought you were turning slowly. Even if you have AWD, get winters.
 I'd recommend getting separate rims as well, to put less stress on the beads and also, if space allows, going for a minus1 size. This allows the tires to cut through the snow a little better and also gives a bigger sidewall to absorb the ice ridge bumps and winnipeg road conditions in general.
 I've had Blizzaks, Generals, Goodyear Nordics, and again anything is better. I've really liked the blizzaks, but they have been on the wife's vehicles so no high-po cars, but they seem to work great. The generals were on my P5 and it was a blast. Nordics let my mustang handle better than FWD cars(with a patio stone in the trunk, cause light ass coupe).
 Research all you can, and I really recommend the Tirerack site for this. Get the best your budget allows. Costco is usually pretty good for prices, Kal Tire has more selection and sometimes has a price match program. Watch for rebates, and of course MPI does the finance thing now. Tirerack used to be a good deal before our dollar tanked.
 Finally, GET WINTER TIRES, be safe, have fun, save a deductible.                        Thanks for letting me rant.
Laziness breeds efficiency

Top Tier Imports

Winter Tires
    « on: September 30, 2015, 12:26 PM »

September 30, 2015, 12:47 PM #1

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
    • Reputation Power: 80
    • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
    UPCOMMING REBATES:
    (tire dealer insider)

BFG:  $50/set of 4   oct 5th-dec 15th   http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/promotions.page
    Cooper: up to $70/set of 4  oct 1st-dec 15th  www.coopertire.ca  couldn't find further details within link
    Uniroyal: $40/set of 4  oct 5th- dec 15th  www.uniroyal.ca
    Kumho: up to $70/set of 4  oct 15th - dec 15th  www.kumhotirerebates.com
    GT Radial: $50/set of 4 oct 15th - dec 31st   www.gtradial.ca
    General: $35/set of 4 oct 15th - dec 15th   www.generaltirepromotions.ca
    Pirelli: up to$100/set of 4  sept 15th - dec 15th   www.pirellipromo.ca
    Toyo: up to $70/set of 4  sept 14th - dec 15th   www.toyorebate.com
    Bridgestone: $70/set of 4 oct 15th - dec 15th   www.bridgestonerewards.com
    Mickey Thompson: up to $100/set of 4  sept 1st - oct 31st  www.mickeythompsontires.com/offer
    Continental: $65/set of 4 oct 15th - dec 15th   www.continentaltirepromotions.ca
    Goodyear: up to $100/set of 4 oct 1st - dec 31st   www.goodyear.ca
    Hankook: up to $80/set of 4  oct 15th - dec 15th   www.hankooktire.ca
    Michelin: $70/set of 4  oct 5th - dec 15th   www.michelin.ca/promotions.page
    Yokohama: up to $80/set of 4 sept 15th - dec 15th   www.yokohama.ca/rebate

links to come. -- updated
    Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:56 PM by DonR
    [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
    95 GTR- SOLD
    03 RSX-S - SOLD
    08 G6- wrekt
    10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 30, 2015, 05:54 PM #2

pjcarey Offline

• Vehicle: 1983 toyota supra gts 2009 Kia rio5
      • Reputation Power: 55
      • pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.pjcarey is on the verge of being accepted.
      just picked up some Toyo Garrit KX's after having cooper weather masters for years I'm looking forward to seeing how these handle! 
      [Feb 23 16:03:56] Dan:gotta laugh it off, can't take shiz seriously

Link to my supra album all photos taken and edited by Colby Spence (@BD5)  https://www.flickr.com/photos/colbyspence/sets/72157647259073436/

September 30, 2015, 09:43 PM #3

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
        • Reputation Power: 19
        • cluelessk has no influence.
        Going on the the 3rd season with my Winter Claw tires.

They were all I could afford at the time but I've been really impressed even with the low sidewall. 225/40/18.

I used to think all-seasons were good enough but after having dedicated winters I changed my mind real quick.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

September 30, 2015, 10:59 PM #4

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
          • Reputation Power: 194
          • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
          I like this thread. Will add my history when I get some more free time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

October 01, 2015, 08:49 AM #5

Time Lord Offline

• Vehicle: Audi
            • Reputation Power: 19
            • Time Lord has no influence.
            Buying winter tires saves your summer tires. Over the long haul you spend the same as if you kept on replacing all seasons. Yes, you have to buy rims but often that cost is offset by having the option to go to a smaller rim  which makes the tires cheaper than your all seasons. A Toyota Venza comes with 20" stock tires. That car will accept 17" and a winter wheel and tire package is probably cheaper than replacing the 20".

Recently there has been something called an "all weather tire" come onto the market. They have the snowflake symbol and qualify as winters for the MPI program. Nokia came up with these and Kal tire is selling a ton of them. Consider them to be all seasons. Last winter I was hired to help with a winter tire comparison test: Six identical cars, five different winter tires and one set of Nokia all weathers. One lap of an ice track was all it took to put the Nokias at the bottom of the performance table. Don't bother with these tires. They don't work worth a dam. Considering Nokia invented winter tires, I don't know what they were thinking.

Buy the best winter tire you can afford - even the cheapest winters out perform any all season.

October 01, 2015, 10:09 AM #6

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
              • Reputation Power: 42
              • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
              *Nokian*, Nokia makes cell phones, lol.

This will be year 2 with Xi3's on the Benz, they've been alright.  This is my 1st RWD car and it's just not as good in winter as FWD or AWD are.

I had a set of Pilot Alpin's on a Sunfire GT year and years ago, and they were amazing!  It was like I had summer conditions while everyone around me was on sheer ice, best winter tire's I've ever used.
              '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
              '99 MB E55t AMG - DD - FOR SALE!
              '04 Lexus GX470

October 01, 2015, 10:27 AM #7

DonR Offline

• DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
                Originally posted by IanB
                *Nokian*, Nokia makes cell phones, lol.

This will be year 2 with Xi3's on the Benz, they've been alright.  This is my 1st RWD car and it's just not as good in winter as FWD or AWD are.

I had a set of Pilot Alpin's on a Sunfire GT year and years ago, and they were amazing!  It was like I had summer conditions while everyone around me was on sheer ice, best winter tire's I've ever used.
                Yeah it's really too bad Michelin discontinued those in 90% of sizes
                [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
                95 GTR- SOLD
                03 RSX-S - SOLD
                08 G6- wrekt
                10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

October 01, 2015, 11:29 AM #8

TESTPILOT Offline

• Reputation Power: 2
                  • TESTPILOT has no influence.
                  Anyone with Blizzak WS70/80 experience? Decent deal @ Costco right now ($70 off).

Looking for some better tires on my Focus ST, currently using Hankook ipike RS without studs and it's not giving me the confidence I'd prefer.

October 01, 2015, 12:01 PM #9

DonR Offline

@TESTPILOT

one of the best winter tires I've ever driven on (ws80) 
                    the only ones I liked more was the continental extreme winter contact

89 240SX- SOLD
                    95 GTR- SOLD
                    03 RSX-S - SOLD
                    08 G6- wrekt
                    10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

October 27, 2016, 11:05 AM #10

carterjalil Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Maxima SV - Sport
                      • Reputation Power: 29
                      • carterjalil barely matters.carterjalil barely matters.
                      Sold my wheels that were wrapped in in the "Goodyear ultra grip ice wrt" and bought new wheels with Toyo Garrit KX's.

The Toyo don't handle well on corners, and the snow/ice or dry traction were super poor compared to the goodyear. Definitely going back to goodyear once these die

October 27, 2016, 03:01 PM #11

#StreetFocus Online

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                        • Reputation Power: 82
                        • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
                        ^ thats good to hear. the winter tires I got with my car are GY ultragrip ice.

Top Tier Imports

Winter Tires
                          « Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 03:01 PM »