Author Topic: Is it time for coils??  (Read 1670 times)

October 05, 2015, 10:21 AM #0

nickcoldwell Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Evo X Mr (sold), 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD.
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • nickcoldwell has no influence.
So I was informed from Waverley Mitsubishi this morning that one of my rear strut needs replacing (600-$800 for a single factory bilstien) & two tie rods need replacing. (found out my alignment was pretty terrible...) The whole strut isn't covered in my extended warranty so I came up with a few options, please give some feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) Buy a brand new single one, which doesn't seem logical.

2) I've gone on the evo forums & contacted somebody for their bilstien/swift sports. Assuming they would ship from so-cal and the currency exchange as it is looking at $800-1200.

3) Buy brand new aftermarket coilover$, not to mention daily driving during winter.

4) Drive the car "as is" this winter and purchase coilovers for next spring.

I am aware that some people drive on shot shocks, as I have a friend who had to sign a waiver to leave the dealership because his front shocks were so bad, he is still driving it (wrx). My father also drove on all 4 when they were shot for months before fixing them on an escalade.

I totally want to just get coilovers & finally have the proper stance the car deserves but it isn't a very smart financial decision at the moment/winter is coming up. At the same time if not replaced it could potentially cost even more in the long run? I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Top Tier Imports

Is it time for coils??
    « on: October 05, 2015, 10:21 AM »

October 05, 2015, 11:10 AM #1

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
    • Reputation Power: 370
    • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
    I would just drive on it as is for the winter, and save up for some coilovers if that's the route you want to go. No point putting coilovers on now and having them corrode over the winter.

October 05, 2015, 11:20 AM #2

Lowridah Offline

• Vehicle: 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT-P
      • Reputation Power: 22
      • Lowridah barely matters.Lowridah barely matters.
      agree with Shaun

October 05, 2015, 11:51 AM #3

nickcoldwell Offline

Originally posted by Shaun
        I would just drive on it as is for the winter, and save up for some coilovers if that's the route you want to go. No point putting coilovers on now and having them corrode over the winter.

My exact thoughts, thanks!

October 05, 2015, 12:48 PM #4

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
          • Reputation Power: 194
          • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
          This. Plus I would change suspension each season.

What shocks are you thinking of?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

October 05, 2015, 03:21 PM #5

nickcoldwell Offline

Originally posted by themikewoo
            What shocks are you thinking of?

I like what hks has to offer with the 30way dampening & pne coating.

Here's the link to all the specs: http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product_db/hipermax/db/13825

October 05, 2015, 03:32 PM #6

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
              • Reputation Power: 370
              • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
              A member here did an install/review for the HKS coilovers http://toptierimports.com/index.php?topic=10247.0

October 05, 2015, 09:10 PM #7

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
                • Reputation Power: 108
                • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                Any suspension will face salt corrosion in winter. However, stainless/aluminium coilovers will fare better than steel bodied struts anyways. Keep the threads clean if you are concerned about them seizing. Changing them out every season is a waste of time, but you could also do that. Coilovers aren't some holy grail of suspension. They're a colloquialism for adjustable height suspension, that's it. If you are concerned about the appearance of your suspension, either keep it clean, or don't winter the car at all. The rest of your components are going to rust anyways, if you can't handle keeping the least rust-prone component from corrosion.

If it's a poor financial decision, that is a better reason not to do it. On the other hand, driving around with a broken car is not responsible either. A blown strut is not a huge deal, but in addition to poor handling, you will be putting more wear and tear on other suspension components.
                Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:13 PM by firelizard

October 06, 2015, 02:10 PM #8

nickcoldwell Offline

@firelizard thanks for the input!

Rear strut is "leaking" so ill be fine over the winter I am assuming. I buy all my car parts in cash so I don't have to worry about extra bills and waiting till spring gives plenty of time to save that with no hassle, they are about ~$2100 +tax. The PNE coating is 5x stronger than regular galvanizing and I am aware of the consequences if regular maintenance/washing isn't performed. I wont be swapping them out for winter however but I will just raise them an appropriate amount/wash thoroughly. 

October 06, 2015, 03:46 PM #9

Dan

i just wanted to quote you.

October 06, 2015, 04:14 PM #10

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
                      • Reputation Power: 108
                      • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                      Originally posted by nickcoldwell
                      @firelizard thanks for the input!

Rear strut is "leaking" so ill be fine over the winter I am assuming. I buy all my car parts in cash so I don't have to worry about extra bills and waiting till spring gives plenty of time to save that with no hassle, they are about ~$2100 +tax. The PNE coating is 5x stronger than regular galvanizing and I am aware of the consequences if regular maintenance/washing isn't performed. I wont be swapping them out for winter however but I will just raise them an appropriate amount/wash thoroughly. 

That sounds like a reasonable plan. As much as I don't want to recommend driving on broken parts, the truth is I would be in one hell of a glass house, and a blown strut is hardly a major safety concern.

October 06, 2015, 08:01 PM #11

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                        • Reputation Power: 194
                        • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                        Originally posted by firelizard
                        That sounds like a reasonable plan. As much as I don't want to recommend driving on broken parts, the truth is I would be in one hell of a glass house, and a blown strut is hardly a major safety concern.
                        Tell that to VIU!

October 13, 2015, 10:02 PM #12

Zantar the Mighty Offline

• Vehicle: Z32
                          • Reputation Power: 4
                          • Zantar the Mighty has no influence.
                          Yeah, it's only the suspension. The car will have three perfectly good wheels anyways.  That's still one more than a bike and people ride those.

April 20, 2016, 03:04 PM #13

nickcoldwell Offline

Little update for anyone who was concered lmao but I will be installing hsd coils sometime soon, picking them up tomorrow!

Top Tier Imports

Is it time for coils??
                              « Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 03:04 PM »