Author Topic: Battery-Powered Lights  (Read 792 times)

November 02, 2015, 07:45 PM #0

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
  • Reputation Power: 91
  • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
So, I'm wondering if you electrical gurus out there could help me out and point me in the right direction.

I'd like to have a system that acts like a car / trailer. Have a battery on the bike (or on the trailer) and be able to use over-the-counter parts to hook up some LED lights and some switches.

When the system is on, a set of rear-facing red LEDs blink and a set of front-facing LEDs blink. Also, via momentary switch two brake lights can come on, or by a normal switch a front-facing light can come on.

For the future I was thinking of also doing turn lights via a right and left momentary switch.

Farther in the future I was hoping to be able to plug into the battery pack and perhaps power a small electric blanket.

I think all these parts currently exist, just a matter of hooking them up into one installation.

You might have guessed, its for my bicycle and kid trailer. Want to be more safe than just the standard reflectors on the back of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Current Forester count: 1
New business opening soon...

Top Tier Imports

Battery-Powered Lights
    « on: November 02, 2015, 07:45 PM »

November 02, 2015, 08:02 PM #1

Ænimal Offline

• Vehicle: Miater, so many bikes
    • Reputation Power: 76
    • Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.
    Have you considered selling the kid and buying a motorcycle? just putting it out there
    [Aug 01 15:48:26] dolan:Guys i really dont care, im still young enough to learn from all my mistakes.

November 02, 2015, 08:31 PM #2

dano Offline

• dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!

Originally posted by Ænimal
      Have you considered selling the kid and buying a motorcycle? just putting it out there
      Genuine lol. Costs about as much per year too :/

November 03, 2015, 05:00 PM #3

Ænimal Offline

• Vehicle: Miater, so many bikes
        • Reputation Power: 76
        • Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.
        Ok, I'll fold, pm me I have most of the parts to do this including a nice bottle mag to drive the thing....!
        [Aug 01 15:48:26] dolan:Guys i really dont care, im still young enough to learn from all my mistakes.

November 03, 2015, 06:11 PM #4

dano Offline

Originally posted by Ænimal
          Ok, I'll fold, pm me I have most of the parts to do this including a nice bottle mag to drive the thing....!
          I did some research after I posted and was thinking of something like this:

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/4-in-led-stop-turn-tail-light/A-p8532418e

I couldn't find a good small moment switch at pa.  I was hoping to attach it to my brake lever for my finger to push it.  maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121347212533

Or this:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/181733651077

I have a led flashlight / work light that is similar to this:

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-pack-led-worklight-flashlight/A-p8588048e

It has a rechargeable battery pack and the case is a little broken but it still works.

My other thought could be to pilfer a cordless drill for the 12v pack and use it for power and possibly to recharge as I bike?

Nish I'll pm you later - headache and 3 hrs sleep. No good for brain.

November 03, 2015, 06:19 PM #5

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
            • Reputation Power: 10
            • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
            http://www.amazon.ca/Bicycle-Bike-Signal-Brake-Light/dp/B006BQEDEQ

Is this what you're looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

November 03, 2015, 06:41 PM #6

dano Offline

Originally posted by Madbuzz41
              http://www.amazon.ca/Bicycle-Bike-Signal-Brake-Light/dp/B006BQEDEQ

Is this what you're looking for?

Yeah, except bigger, more LEDs, better construction, rechargeable battery pack. I don't want something too put together, as I want to put the tails on a bike trailer and the front light / switches on the bike, and be able to cut into the wires and have a plug so that it can work (eventually) on two different bikes.

November 04, 2015, 07:44 PM #7

daveh Offline

• Vehicle: Subaru
                • Reputation Power: 3
                • daveh has no influence.
                http://www.grote.com/products/49362-dual-intensity-micronova-dot-led-clearance-marker-lamp/?industrycat=&prodcat=clearance-marker-lights

I'd suggest these. We use the dual intensity ones for the clearance markers on our walking floors. They only need about an inch to mount, and are very bright.

November 05, 2015, 08:18 AM #8

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                  • Reputation Power: 199
                  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                  I hope you're not one of those maniacs who ride their bike in -40 with a foot of fresh snow
                  Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                  I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

November 05, 2015, 08:36 AM #9

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                    • Reputation Power: 10
                    • Madbuzz41 has no influence.

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                    I hope you're not one of those maniacs who ride their bike in -40 with a foot of fresh snow

Why not , cold ain't stopping anyone

November 05, 2015, 12:08 PM #10

dano Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                      I bike or run to commute year-round. A large amount of fresh snow is usually the worst, and I try to make other arrangements on those days.

Top Tier Imports

Battery-Powered Lights
                        « Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 12:08 PM »