Author Topic: frozen engine/rad aka im so screwed  (Read 1426 times)

November 21, 2015, 01:30 AM #0

heiyuu Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Civic, 05 Frontier, 98 Integra, 93 180sx
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.
so some of you may or may not know the frost plug went missing from the back of the head in the spring from my built sr20det inside my 180sx

being a lazy bum i just dumped water into it and moved it into my non-insulated garage while pissing the water out the frost plug hole in the back of the head all over the tranny,

well i got extra lazy and didnt insulate before this winter and now the water is frozen solid inside the swirl pot and the koyo rad. like no even slush its solid cant even stick a screw driver into it.

ive already accept the fact that my rad, hoses, and maybe even the whole block is garbage

anyways tomorrow when i get less angry and sober up im gonna throw some moving blankets/tarps over the hood and shove some 500w lights underneath the engine and also buy some heaters and hope it thaws it enough to melt the ice

then im gonna drain all the water and leave it till spring. i know its bad to leave a used engine with empty coolant passages but i think its better than leaving pure water inside to expand when it eventually gets colder and colder.

if this works im leaving it till spring and then im gonna pull the motor and check for cracks on the engine and rad. if it looks legit im gonna hammer a new plug into the back of the head and pretend this never happened

angry rant post is angry. i shoulda drained the stupid water last week before it went below zero.

anyways, anyone have any suggestions? or have an sr20det they can sell me in the spring? i shoulda kept my old leaking sr20det...
Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:31 AM by heiyuu

Top Tier Imports

frozen engine/rad aka im so screwed
    « on: November 21, 2015, 01:30 AM »

November 21, 2015, 08:23 AM #1

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
    • Reputation Power: 38
    • IanB is working their way up.IanB is working their way up.IanB is working their way up.
    I'd honestly pay the tow to a heated shop to thaw and drain everything, and back when you're done, it's gonna be cheaper than replacing everything that could split if left this way.  Sucks buddy.
    Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:01 PM by IanB
    '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
    '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
    '04 Lexus GX470

November 21, 2015, 09:54 AM #2

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
      • Reputation Power: 42
      • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
      Your better off putting coolant in it and circulating it, as if when you drain it a spot doesn't drain fully, you can still end up in the same situtation.
      I suggest heated shop, fix the plug, and put coolant back in it. I wouldn't write the motor off yet, as with no frost plug there is expansion room.  Why not stick a block heater in the frost plug hole? Add coolant and warm the block.
      D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
      04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
      Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
      http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

November 21, 2015, 02:03 PM #3

Time Lord Offline

• Vehicle: Audi
        • Reputation Power: 19
        • Time Lord has no influence.
        Don't forget the heater core. It won't drain even with the block empty.

November 22, 2015, 01:55 AM #4

heiyuu Offline

• heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.
          okay so this morning i covered the hood with two moving blankets, jacked it up, and put two 500w flood lights underneath and let it sit from 10am until 11pm

noticed there was a puddle inside the pans i left underneath the rad area of clear/brown color so its for sure rad fluid (i had some pink/orange antifreeze before i lost my frost plug) so something is leaking around the rad, prolly the rad cuz the bottom tank of the rad is rounded instead of flat

i unplugged the drain hole from the rad and more water came out, also removed the two lower -AN rad hoses (one smaller one is for swire pot return) and drained more water out

then i put the blankets back on and now im leaving it over night.

i inspected the block best i could and didnt see anything that looked like a crack or leak.

im highly considering renting a trailer and towing it to brad's place and having him pull the engine to plug the frost plug.

afterwards would need to either convert back to regular barb rad hoses or get someone to tig some big -AN fittings onto a new rad for my current setup. unless some of that rad leak sealing snake oil works in my current rad.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

oh and cant even stick my finger back there to feel for the frost plug hole. there is less than an inch between the firewall and the back of the block where the missing plug is, so motor must come out to replace plug or install a block heater (but i dont think i have enough firewall clearance for a block heater)

and I don't have a heater core hooked up at all. the turbo elbow is so big that it sits right close to the firewall right where the heater core barbs stick out.
          Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:57 AM by heiyuu

November 22, 2015, 08:19 AM #5

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
            • Reputation Power: 42
            • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
            There's plenty of people in town that could fix/tig the rad and add bungs for lines. Guess your starting the project sooner then you thought. 
            D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
            04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
            Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
            http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

November 22, 2015, 12:02 PM #6

heiyuu Offline

what u guys thinking about blowing compressed air into the rad hose to blow out water? iunno how well this would work considering i have a missing frost plug

anyways im also talking to brad bout him pulling my engine to replace the frost plug so i can put proper coolant into it

December 15, 2015, 10:49 PM #7

bobjacobson Offline

• Reputation Power: 3
                • bobjacobson has no influence.
                Originally posted by heiyuu
                what u guys thinking about blowing compressed air into the rad hose to blow out water? iunno how well this would work considering i have a missing frost plug

anyways im also talking to brad bout him pulling my engine to replace the frost plug so i can put proper coolant into it
                Was the frost plug missing still when the water froze?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

December 18, 2015, 08:53 AM #8

heiyuu Offline

Originally posted by bobjacobson
                  Was the frost plug missing still when the water froze?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

yup. its still missing now. car has been sittingin my uninsulated garage since i first posted with two 500w flood lights underneath and moving blanks over the engine bay.

there is now a small oil leak coming from somewhere near the rear of the engine. fuuuuu

i bought two jugs of 50/50 mix

February 08, 2016, 11:03 PM #9

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                    • Reputation Power: 97
                    • Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!
                    in4update
                    '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                    '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                    IG: colby_spence
                    Snap: cspence47

February 18, 2016, 07:24 PM #10

heiyuu Offline

ugh couldn't get to the block drain plug cuz the engine mounts and turbo manifold were in the way but i did the next best thing and moved the turbo water line (which is feed to a spot right by the block drain) to the lowest point and it drained a lot of water. then i just keep dumping coolant into the swirlpot and upper rad houses until it came outta the turbo water line and also the missing frost plug in the back.

February 28, 2016, 05:17 PM #11

JosiahP Offline

• Vehicle: 1990 mazda miata - 1991 Nissan Skyline GTR
                        • Reputation Power: 10
                        • JosiahP has no influence.
                        If yours still needing someone to tig the rad for you PM me.
                        Life goes by, how quick? Well it depends on your right foot.
                        1991 Nissan Skyline GTR
                        1990 Turbo Miata aka the money pit/race car
                        1990 Miata organ donor - scraped
                        1990 Jeep Cherokee 3in lifted with 31" tires

JP Fabworks

Top Tier Imports

frozen engine/rad aka im so screwed
                          « Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 05:17 PM »