Author Topic: Looking for an Arbitrator  (Read 1086 times)

December 15, 2015, 08:07 PM #0

ZBuller80 Offline

• Vehicle: 95 180sx, 91 Silvia, 96 GC8, 89 Sileighty
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • ZBuller80 has no influence.
Hey everyone,

I recently wrote off a vehicle from Japan and was wondering if anyone could recommend an arbitrator that is familiar with imports and can get me through the whole process as quick as possible.

Any help is appreciated
Instagram @zach_80

Top Tier Imports

Looking for an Arbitrator
    « on: December 15, 2015, 08:07 PM »

December 16, 2015, 10:04 AM #1

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
    • Reputation Power: 111
    • Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!
    Originally posted by ZBuller80
    Hey everyone,

I recently wrote off a vehicle from Japan and was wondering if anyone could recommend an arbitrator that is familiar with imports and can get me through the whole process as quick as possible.

Any help is appreciated
    What did you write off? that may sway someone... I know Subarus but nothing about Nissans...
    '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
    '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
    IG: colby_spence
    Snap: cspence47

December 16, 2015, 11:33 PM #2

ZBuller80 Offline

A Mitsubishi Legnum
      Instagram @zach_80

December 16, 2015, 11:55 PM #3

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
        • Reputation Power: 190
        • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

December 17, 2015, 09:23 AM #4

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
        • Reputation Power: 41
        • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
        Originally posted by themikewoo
        Bump for you because I want a wagon.

Once you go longroof, you never go back, lol.

To the OP, who did you import through?  Maybe they would serve as a decent appraiser? 

A word of caution before heading too far down this road, the way arbitration works is each party (insured and MPI) assign an appraiser at their own cost, if those 2 parties are not able to reach an agreement, a 3rd party is brought in with the cost split between the 2 parties, whose say is final and binding.  As we have only 1 auto insurer in the province, it's an underlier that the appraisers won't want to piss off MPI, as the bulk of their work comes from them.  I was contemplating going this route a few years ago and decided that with the extra cost to me, and the way the deck is stacked against the insured, it wasn't worth the risk to me.  It's a broken system, and the sheeple are blind to it.  Good luck!
        '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
        '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
        '04 Lexus GX470

December 18, 2015, 03:22 PM #5

ZBuller80 Offline

Originally posted by IanB
          Once you go longroof, you never go back, lol.

To the OP, who did you import through?  Maybe they would serve as a decent appraiser? 

A word of caution before heading too far down this road, the way arbitration works is each party (insured and MPI) assign an appraiser at their own cost, if those 2 parties are not able to reach an agreement, a 3rd party is brought in with the cost split between the 2 parties, whose say is final and binding.  As we have only 1 auto insurer in the province, it's an underlier that the appraisers won't want to piss off MPI, as the bulk of their work comes from them.  I was contemplating going this route a few years ago and decided that with the extra cost to me, and the way the deck is stacked against the insured, it wasn't worth the risk to me.  It's a broken system, and the sheeple are blind to it.  Good luck!

I imported through Boss imports.

I was also a little skeptical when they provided me with a list of their approved arbitrators.

I just wanna get the most I can out of the goons
          Instagram @zach_80

December 18, 2015, 03:33 PM #6

ZBuller80 Offline

I'm also curious how long the process normally takes and if it will actually be worth my time.

What kind of experience has everyone had with the process and how much more were you able to get? (Minus expenses)

Instagram @zach_80

December 18, 2015, 06:02 PM #7

Stefan Offline

• Vehicle: 2004 WRX wagon
              • Reputation Power: 48
              • Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...
              Originally posted by ZBuller80
              I'm also curious how long the process normally takes and if it will actually be worth my time.

What kind of experience has everyone had with the process and how much more were you able to get? (Minus expenses)
              I would highly recommend you to settle on a value before the arbitration process. I have been there and it's nothing but a downhill slope. They typically don't care about what your arbitrator has to say and believe they know everything there is about your car and it's history.

Being a company run by the government there is very little you can do and in the end they tell you to go to court if you don't like their appraisal. Which again is government related so you end up boxed in a corner.
              build it - race it -  break it - do it all over

December 18, 2015, 06:52 PM #8

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
                • Reputation Power: 41
                • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                If the 2 appraisers can't agree, and they bring in an "umpire"/third appraiser, it's now 2 against 1 for MPI, is basically what I was trying to say earlier, as the bulk of these appraiser's work is through MPI.
                '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                '04 Lexus GX470

December 19, 2015, 10:59 PM #9

ZBuller80 Offline

Originally posted by Stefan
                  I would highly recommend you to settle on a value before the arbitration process. I have been there and it's nothing but a downhill slope. They typically don't care about what your arbitrator has to say and believe they know everything there is about your car and it's history.

Being a company run by the government there is very little you can do and in the end they tell you to go to court if you don't like their appraisal. Which again is government related so you end up boxed in a corner.

I already tried. They got the vehicle appraised first and gave me an offer. I counter-offered and they decided to stick with their original offer which was pretty lame.
                  Instagram @zach_80

Top Tier Imports

Looking for an Arbitrator
                    « Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 10:59 PM »