Author Topic: Summer / Track Tire Suggestions  (Read 1551 times)

December 28, 2015, 09:26 PM #0

N1ck Offline

• Reputation Power: 9
  • N1ck has no influence.
Looking for some tire recommendations for a summer daily & occasional track use (1/4 mile and auto X). I do not care if I get 2 summers of use, I'd like to see 15K out of them. Budget is $160CAD or so, size 235/40/17.

Tires on my radar:
Federal SS 595
Federal RS-R Evo - Front runner but concerned with using it as a daily.
BFG G-Force Comp2
GT Radial Champiro UHP

Reviews, feedback or suggestions are welcomed!
1993 Del Sol Si
2015 Kia Sportage EX Luxury AWD
2015 Chrysler 300 Limited

Top Tier Imports

Summer / Track Tire Suggestions
    « on: December 28, 2015, 09:26 PM »

December 29, 2015, 07:49 AM #1

Lou Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 Toyota 86
    • Reputation Power: 35
    • Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.
    Where are you planning on buying from because that will have an effect on the price. I'd recommend buying from a Canadian website such as http://www.1010tires.com/ since the US dollar is so strong compared to ours right now.

Here are some options from them in your size (although only a couple of them are near your budget):

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Kumho/Ecsta+LE+Sport+(KU39)/2148143

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Falken/Azenis+FK-453/28605702

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Yokohama/S_Drive/01191

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Nitto/NT05/207-120

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Dunlop/Direzza+ZII+Star+Spec/265029475

You could also check out another Canadian website: http://kxwheels.com/kx/tire/tiresize_search/

I should also add that from what I have read the BFG Sport Comp 2 you have mentioned are very highly rated in all areas except for tread noise. You could also consider the Bridgestone RE760 Sport in the same category. They are known to be slightly more comfortable on the road but do offer less ultimate wet and dry grip.

I will be in the market for summer tires in a few months and I will be trying to find a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW as I understand they perform very well for the price. Ideally I'd get a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports but they are probably going to be out of my price range.
    Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:56 AM by Lou

December 29, 2015, 07:57 AM #2

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
      • Reputation Power: 91
      • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
      Also check Costco.
      Current Forester count: 1
      New business opening soon...

December 29, 2015, 08:36 AM #3

N1ck Offline

• Reputation Power: 9
        • N1ck has no influence.
        Thanks for the replies. I'm flexible with where I order from, I'm ok with ordering from Discount Tire or OnlineTires and having the set shipped to Montana or ND. Budget would be around $120USD w/ shipping. The Nitto NT05 looks promising as well.
        1993 Del Sol Si
        2015 Kia Sportage EX Luxury AWD
        2015 Chrysler 300 Limited

December 29, 2015, 09:03 AM #4

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
          • Reputation Power: 91
          • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
          I didn't have much time before, but with the dollar the way it is, the last two times I looked for tires for auto x and winter tires, Costco was the place to beat. It's like their prices didn't change. I got the ws-80 for winter, and if I was going to get autox tires, I was going to try the Bridgestone re-71r I think it was. Was like $40 per tire cheaper than the closest us or Canadian competitor. TheMikeWoo gets thanks for pointing it out first.
          Current Forester count: 1
          New business opening soon...

December 29, 2015, 09:04 AM #5

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
            • Reputation Power: 194
            • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
            With your budget of $160 per tire you are limited in your options. I have heard good things from Federal so that get's my vote.

December 29, 2015, 09:23 AM #6

benz88 Offline

• Reputation Power: 61
              • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
              Alot of distributors just Dumped Federal so may be able to get some for cheap right now. Also those Falken Fk453s are a good tire.
              '91 240sx Hatch
              '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
              '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
              '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
              '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

December 29, 2015, 10:12 AM #7

Lou Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 Toyota 86
                • Reputation Power: 35
                • Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.
                I definitely agree with those that said Costco (forgot to mention it before) but in the past I've found them difficult to deal with at times. They are very reluctant if not unwilling to sell you a tire that isn't a direct match to the oem size.

Also something to note is that the tire prices on their website include a $15 mounting and balancing service so if you just bought the tire from them and had them installed elsewhere they would be $15 cheaper than advertised although you may sacrifice the warranty by doing so.

On the other hand, my dad bought four Michelin X-I3 from them and one got a screw in it which was too close to the sidewall to safely patch. They replaced the tire and he was only charged the $4.50 tire levy which was pretty good service on their part imo.

December 29, 2015, 09:43 PM #8

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
                  • Reputation Power: 173
                  • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                  Have you considered going to a 225 for more options?

Ventus v12s are $169/ea on 1010 tires for a 225/45/17

Just my 2
                  (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

December 30, 2015, 11:15 PM #9

MarvinM10 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
                    • Reputation Power: 26
                    • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
                    I bought the Bridgestone RE760 Sports because they were reviewed as a better daily tire, especially road noise and a little more compliant with having to deal with Winnipeg potholes. My second choice was the BFG's. Costco didn't want to sell me the Bridgestones because they weren't Z rated, and that's what their computer said I needed for my speed3, so ended up getting them at Kal Tire with a price match.
                    I've been happy so far, 1 summer,only about 4000km.
                    Laziness breeds efficiency

December 31, 2015, 01:46 AM #10

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                      • Reputation Power: 10
                      • Madbuzz41 has no influence.

Originally posted by MarvinM10
                      I bought the Bridgestone RE760 Sports because they were reviewed as a better daily tire, especially road noise and a little more compliant with having to deal with Winnipeg potholes. My second choice was the BFG's. Costco didn't want to sell me the Bridgestones because they weren't Z rated, and that's what their computer said I needed for my speed3, so ended up getting them at Kal Tire with a price match.
                      I've been happy so far, 1 summer,only about 4000km.

Wouldn't you be able to just give them the tire size and have them sell you the tire rather make and model of car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

December 31, 2015, 02:44 PM #11

MarvinM10 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
                        • Reputation Power: 26
                        • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
                        Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                        Wouldn't you be able to just give them the tire size and have them sell you the tire rather make and model of car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Yes, but then they wouldn't warranty them.
                        Laziness breeds efficiency

January 28, 2016, 03:02 PM #12

4U2Envy Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec.B
                          • Reputation Power: 10
                          • 4U2Envy has no influence.
                          Originally posted by dano
                          I didn't have much time before, but with the dollar the way it is, the last two times I looked for tires for auto x and winter tires, Costco was the place to beat. It's like their prices didn't change. I got the ws-80 for winter, and if I was going to get autox tires, I was going to try the Bridgestone re-71r I think it was. Was like $40 per tire cheaper than the closest us or Canadian competitor. TheMikeWoo gets thanks for pointing it out first.
                          I'm looking into the RE-71R's as well. I've read that they are a great tire for autoX and don't wear too bad even with daily driving.
                          "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"

324WHP/313WTQ EvoIII 16G on 94Oct - Bren Tuning

January 29, 2016, 09:52 AM #13

Earthworm Offline

• Vehicle: 1993 Subaru SVX
                            • Reputation Power: 2
                            • Earthworm has no influence.
                            I only have experience with the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec but I can say that they scare me with how much they grip.  They replaced a set of Potenza RE01-R's and, while the sidewalls aren't as stiff, the traction is unbelievable...even in the wet.

January 29, 2016, 10:17 AM #14

themikewoo Offline

Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                              • Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                              • Reputation Power: 194
                              • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                              Originally posted by 4U2Envy
                              I'm looking into the RE-71R's as well. I've read that they are a great tire for autoX and don't wear too bad even with daily driving.
                              I believe that is still the autocross tire to have right now. Come spring and summer I'd imagine some updated versions coming out but of I were to replace tires, I would get a set of RE-71R's.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

January 29, 2016, 12:34 PM #15

Magner Offline

• Vehicle: Neons
                                • Reputation Power: 72
                                • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
                                I'm working on a performance tire guide, lot's of misinformation about tires on TTi, should help clear things up and should address a few things in this thread. Hopefully ready by the end of the weekend, I'll link it here later.

January 29, 2016, 08:49 PM #16

Run Away Offline

• Reputation Power: 22
                                  • Run Away barely matters.Run Away barely matters.
                                  ^interested to hear your thoughts on the new Champiro 200TW track tire....
                                  -Ben

Top Tier Imports

Summer / Track Tire Suggestions
                                    « Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 08:49 PM »