Author Topic: SOLD: Colin's 92 Turbo Legacy  (Read 3202 times)

January 11, 2016, 09:51 AM #0

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!
Been doing so much work on this thing, and I take pictures of nearly everything, though I might as well share it. Might be useful to someone.

Anyway, I picked this baby up a little over a year ago from Dave here on the forum, it was in awesome condition aside from a couple minor oil leaks, and a few old hoses.

After driving it for the winter, I only had to replace one of the turbo coolant lines (soft and burst), after that the rad went (old cracked plastic). Other than that, there were no real issues. I did the coffee cup mod that everyone recommends on the legacy forums and installed some hertz speakers, a pioneer head unit w/ BT. And a boost guage.

About a month after installing the boost gauge, one day i noticed the car wasn't hitting full boost (12 - 14 psi) it was only hitting 5psi - really consistently. This frustrates the heck out of me because I still haven't figured out why its doing this. The car seems to just randomly go into limp mode, some times its fine, sometimes its not. Luckily it drives just fine even when its in limp mode, just has less balls.

I decided I would fix the oil leaks this summer... That never happened though.

So this fall when I pulled the car out of its shed (when I messed up the trans on the Celica) I made a oil catch... Literally i took a peice of aluminum and bent it so it would catch the oil dripping from the timing cover so it wouldn't drip onto the headers. Then I messed up the trans on it doing a pull on the highway, shifted a bit too hard..

Current Mod Lists

Revtronix Tune w/ 14 psi Boost
3.5" Turbo Back Exhaust
Coffee Cup Mod
ACT Stage 2 Clutch
Diamond Racing Coil Pack
NGK Plug Wires (it counts)
02 WRX Transmission
Hertz Speakers
Pioneer Head Unit
Royal Wheel
Works Engineering Quick Release
Ice Guard Winter Tires
Plasti Dip Grille and Hood Scoop
Copper Spark Plugs
Cobb Shifter Bushings

And tons of new parts

Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:54 PM by Ctown8
BAASSSSSSS
I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

Top Tier Imports

SOLD: Colin's 92 Turbo Legacy
    « on: January 11, 2016, 09:51 AM »

January 11, 2016, 10:29 AM #1

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
    • Reputation Power: 111
    • Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!
    Originally posted by Ctown8
    Been doing so much work on this thing, and I take pictures of nearly everything, though I might as well share it. Might be useful to someone.

About a month after installing the boost gauge, one day i noticed the car wasn't hitting full boost (12 - 14 psi) it was only hitting 5psi - really consistently. This frustrates the heck out of me because I still haven't figured out why its doing this. The car seems to just randomly go into limp mode, some times its fine, sometimes its not. Luckily it drives just fine even when its in limp mode, just has less balls.
    In 4 Pics

only 5 psi... have you checked the connections on the boost gauges inline T? Try also pulling the battery for 10 minutes. during that time try to turn the car on to drain any capacitors. after 10, reconnect and go for a rip. see if that helps.
    '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
    '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
    IG: colby_spence
    Snap: cspence47

January 11, 2016, 10:53 AM #2

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!
      So the first thing I had to deal with was the bad coolant line, I didn't bother taking pics of this but i did take pics of the crack in the radiator. I tried to fix it with JB Weld but it just wouldn't hold, so I ended up getting one of ebay for $99.
      Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:19 AM by Ctown8
      BAASSSSSSS
      I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
      My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

January 11, 2016, 10:56 AM #3

Ctown8 Offline

The next thing I did was the coffee cup mod, cause who doesn't love whooosh noises! First is the original resonator, then the modded exhaust reducer is my "coffee cup" (a lot of people use coffee cups). Subaru bites! watch out.
        Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:16 AM by Ctown8
        BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 11:01 AM #4

Ctown8 Offline

Car felt like it was misfiring, so i replaced the spark plug wires (could see wear on them) and that when i noticed the coil was right messed up, so I sourced a new one. Currently doing the plugs, pics to come of that.
          Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:18 AM by Ctown8
          BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 11:39 AM #5

Ctown8 Offline

Got a new horn switch, got tired of the old one falling out. Also installed some bad ass dixie horns for when I'm hooning
            BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 11:41 AM #6

Ctown8 Offline

AAAAND the tear down started.
              BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 11:42 AM #7

Ctown8 Offline

Found this little guy while draining the trans fluid....
                BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 11:43 AM #8

Ctown8 Offline

With the trans out, this was my view.
                  BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 11:46 AM #9

Ctown8 Offline

Since I knew this was going to take a while, I decided to replace all those leaky front seals.
                    BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 11:58 AM #10

Ctown8 Offline

A whole lot of cleaning and a few seals later.
                      Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:02 PM by Ctown8
                      BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:03 PM #11

Ctown8 Offline

So I did both cam seals, the oil pump seal, the O ring behind the oil pump and behind the driver side cam. Was in the neighborhood so I did the Cam Cover gaskets as well.
                        BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:06 PM #12

Ctown8 Offline

Had to pull the turbo to get access to a leaky cover in the back, so I decided to clean that too... and WOW, it was dirty, cleaned up nice though!
                          BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:07 PM #13

Ctown8 Offline

I was very happy to find ZERO shaft play ;) :(
                            BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:09 PM #14

Ctown8 Offline

This is the seal that the turbo was covering. Never got a great after shot, but its clean now.
                              Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:11 PM by Ctown8
                              BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:16 PM #15

Ctown8 Offline

Yesterday my dad helped me swap out the transfer gears in the two transmissions we have. The rear diff is the original so we had to make swap the transfer gears to make the ratios the same from the old trans. Current trans is from an 02 WRX which has 1:1.1 ratios, original legacy trans had 1:1 ratio.
                                BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:18 PM #16

Ctown8 Offline

Oil pan was leaking something awful as well, so I pulled the engine up a few inches to clear the cross member and pulled the pan off. Not much left of the gasket. Also pulled the flywheel and clutch, sadly the rear seals were fine... I didn't  need to pull the flywheel, but it did make removing the oil pan easier.
                                  BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:21 PM #17

Ctown8 Offline

managed to break off on of the hoses going into the coolant tank. These are the definition of obsolete. not made or sold anymore. Had to mod it to make it work. ended up using a brass fitting and jb weld.
                                    BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:32 PM #18

Ctown8 Offline

Front end is now complete and all re assembled.
                                      BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:34 PM #19

Ctown8 Offline

Ill be finishing up the oil pan tonight, and if time allows it I'll be putting the flywheel and clutch back on. Then this week or weekend the transmission will go back in along with everything else.
                                        BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 12:40 PM #20

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by Colby
                                          In 4 Pics

only 5 psi... have you checked the connections on the boost gauges inline T? Try also pulling the battery for 10 minutes. during that time try to turn the car on to drain any capacitors. after 10, reconnect and go for a rip. see if that helps.

Resetting the ECU doesnt really fix the issue, sometimes when I pull the terminals it feels great for a while, then it goes back to limp. But sometimes it will randomly go back to normal. Its very strange, but its not my top priority atm.
                                          BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 02:51 PM #21

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
                                            • Reputation Power: 90
                                            • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
                                            Resetting the ECU doesnt really fix the issue, sometimes when I pull the terminals it feels great for a while, then it goes back to limp. But sometimes it will randomly go back to normal. Its very strange, but its not my top priority atm.
                                            What gas are you using?

Also, depending on the vacuum lines and intake cleanliness, you might want to a) clean the maf and b) think about a catch can (if not already - I just looked at the pictures)
                                            Current Forester count: 1
                                            New business opening soon...

January 11, 2016, 03:02 PM #22

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by dano
                                              What gas are you using?

Also, depending on the vacuum lines and intake cleanliness, you might want to a) clean the maf and b) think about a catch can (if not already - I just looked at the pictures)
                                              Shell premium, and I'm thinking a catch can is a good idea because of how much oil is coming out from the intake, but now that its clean I'm going to monitor it. And the MAF is clean, the weird part is that its intermittent, why not always limp mode or always good. Also no check engine lights.
                                              BAASSSSSSS

January 11, 2016, 03:30 PM #23

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
                                                • Reputation Power: 90
                                                • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!

Shell premium, and I'm thinking a catch can is a good idea because of how much oil is coming out from the intake, but now that its clean I'm going to monitor it. And the MAF is clean, the weird part is that its intermittent, why not always limp mode or always good. Also no check engine lights.
                                                Drive it till empty then fill like 1/8 with 94 then when empty fill with 94 and see if it changes.
                                                Current Forester count: 1
                                                New business opening soon...

January 11, 2016, 03:38 PM #24

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                                                  • Reputation Power: 111
                                                  • Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!
                                                  Originally posted by dano
                                                  Drive it till empty then fill like 1/8 with 94 then when empty fill with 94 and see if it changes.
                                                  3 octane shouldnt make that much difference should it? ive ran 91 in a pinch and i still make good boost(rated for 98 in japan), ill admit ive never had a problem with 94 though. If not boosting that sounds like a fault in the system. a loose clamp, faulty wastegate.... perhaps spring pressure is only 5 psi? by the looks of the system you are completly catless so there is no restriction. Narrows down the problem a bit.. is it stock turbo, ecu, piping, intercooler, wastegate, BOV?
                                                  '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                                                  '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                                                  IG: colby_spence
                                                  Snap: cspence47

Top Tier Imports

Colin's 92 Turbo Legacy
                                                    « Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 03:38 PM »