Author Topic: SOLD: Colin's 92 Turbo Legacy  (Read 3349 times)

January 11, 2016, 03:49 PM #25

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
  • Reputation Power: 120
  • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
Quote (selected)
3 octane shouldnt make that much difference should it? ive ran 91 in a pinch and i still make good boost(rated for 98 in japan), ill admit ive never had a problem with 94 though. If not boosting that sounds like a fault in the system. a loose clamp, faulty wastegate.... perhaps spring pressure is only 5 psi? by the looks of the system you are completly catless so there is no restriction. Narrows down the problem a bit.. is it stock turbo, ecu, piping, intercooler, wastegate, BOV?
Turbo is stock, ecu has a revtronix tune (according to previous owner), piping is mostly stock, car has no intercooler ???, wastegate pressure is 8psi and its the oem bpv.
BAASSSSSSS
I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

Top Tier Imports

Colin's 92 Turbo Legacy
    « Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 03:49 PM »

January 11, 2016, 04:15 PM #26

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
    • Reputation Power: 91
    • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
    Originally posted by Colby
    3 octane shouldnt make that much difference should it? ive ran 91 in a pinch and i still make good boost(rated for 98 in japan), ill admit ive never had a problem with 94 though. If not boosting that sounds like a fault in the system. a loose clamp, faulty wastegate.... perhaps spring pressure is only 5 psi? by the looks of the system you are completly catless so there is no restriction. Narrows down the problem a bit.. is it stock turbo, ecu, piping, intercooler, wastegate, BOV?
    Its the direct reason why mine went into limp mode. Used 91, limp. Back to 94, no limp.
    Current Forester count: 1
    New business opening soon...

January 11, 2016, 04:24 PM #27

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
      • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
      Originally posted by dano
      Its the direct reason why mine went into limp mode. Used 91, limp. Back to 94, no limp.
      Never knew that it could make that much difference. That is very good to know.

The new FA20DIT Forester XT's can be ran with 87 or 91 with no negative side effects except loss of power. Im not going to say they are designed for it but they are mapped to allow it. Kinda cool
      '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
      '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
      IG: colby_spence
      Snap: cspence47

January 11, 2016, 04:30 PM #28

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
        Never knew that it could make that much difference. That is very good to know.

The new FA20DIT Forester XT's can be ran with 87 or 91 with no negative side effects except loss of power. Im not going to say they are designed for it but they are mapped to allow it. Kinda cool
        The tune on mine should allow for some lenience but I've run both types 91 and 94 in the past and never felt a difference. Ill have to try again once its back on the road.
        BAASSSSSSS
        I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
        My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

January 11, 2016, 06:35 PM #29

bobjacobson Offline

• Reputation Power: 3
          • bobjacobson has no influence.
          Octane ratings in Japan are different than in North America. They use RON we use AKI.

Basically AKI is equal to about 0.95 of the RON number.

So your 98 RON car should be running approximately 93 AKI. So you are right where you ahould be running 94 AKI from Husky.

Pretty confusing that an octane rating is not equal.

January 11, 2016, 06:49 PM #30

Colby Offline

• Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
            Originally posted by bobjacobson
            Octane ratings in Japan are different than in North America. They use RON we use AKI.

Basically AKI is equal to about 0.95 of the RON number.

So your 98 RON car should be running approximately 93 AKI. So you are right where you ahould be running 94 AKI from Husky.

Pretty confusing that an octane rating is not equal.
            If you want to get real crazy, there are two Petro stations (keewatin and st marys) that offer Ultra 94. The RON of this is 101.5... I may have to try it out

January 11, 2016, 06:57 PM #31

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
              • Reputation Power: 19
              • cluelessk has no influence.
              delete
              [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

January 12, 2016, 09:08 AM #32

Ctown8 Offline

Put a fresh coat of rocker guard on the oil pan after I cleaned it, got the gasket all prepped and stuck it back on last night. Put the engine back in once it was torqued to spec. Must say our engine pulling assembly was a great idea.
                Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:10 AM by Ctown8
                BAASSSSSSS

January 12, 2016, 09:52 AM #33

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
                  • Reputation Power: 95
                  • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
                  You should do a sweet Hertz audio system in it! I know a guy selling one!

January 12, 2016, 09:04 PM #34

daveh Offline

• Vehicle: Subaru
                    • Reputation Power: 3
                    • daveh has no influence.
                    Wow Colin, that's going to be a pretty nice winter beater! Great work cleaning it up.

While you have it apart, clean up the grounds, and check that the ecm is grounded properly. Maybe look into that switch and circuit for the valet mode or whatever that is on the Revtronix, that could be what's limiting boost. I'd even check that the chip hasn't come loose. Revtronix isn't around anymore, but there may still be some info on legacycentral.

January 12, 2016, 10:48 PM #35

Colby Offline

I did some chatting around today... Do you have a 2.2L in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

January 13, 2016, 09:09 AM #36

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by daveh
                        Wow Colin, that's going to be a pretty nice winter beater! Great work cleaning it up.

While you have it apart, clean up the grounds, and check that the ecm is grounded properly. Maybe look into that switch and circuit for the valet mode or whatever that is on the Revtronix, that could be what's limiting boost. I'd even check that the chip hasn't come loose. Revtronix isn't around anymore, but there may still be some info on legacycentral.
                        I'll have to check that, seems unlikely that the chip would come loose. but the grounds are definitely a possibility.
                        I did some chatting around today... Do you have a 2.2L in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        And yes, it's the EJ22T!
                        BAASSSSSSS

January 13, 2016, 09:32 AM #37

Colby Offline

Originally posted by Ctown8
                          I'll have to check that, seems unlikely that the chip would come loose. but the grounds are definitely a possibility. And yes, it's the EJ22T!
                          The EJ22T never had an intercooler. It was originally designed for the Rally world but didnt make it to Colin McRae because of the 2.0 engine size restriction.

The cool thing is this in the EJ22T and EJ20 of that era(89-93) is that they are the only engines produced to have piston oil squirters. There is a tech at subaru who has done some minor work and is making 360 HP out of his

January 13, 2016, 09:35 AM #38

Ctown8 Offline

The EJ22T never had an intercooler. It was originally designed for the Rally world but didnt make it to Colin McRae because of the 2.0 engine size restriction.

The cool thing is this in the EJ22T and EJ20 of that era(89-93) is that they are the only engines produced to have piston oil squirters. There is a tech at subaru who has done some minor work and is making 360 HP out of his
                            Yep, these things are gems! I love mine!
                            BAASSSSSSS

January 25, 2016, 11:09 AM #39

Ctown8 Offline

Had a small fire in the garage this past week, electrical box where the main power comes into the house was arking somehow and started a fire, then of course the power went out cause the wire snapped. Put the fire out but covered my car with dust in the process... Picture is the new box obviously.
                              BAASSSSSSS

January 25, 2016, 11:13 AM #40

Ctown8 Offline

Got the car all put back together over this last week, parts were pretty difficult to find, but we managed. Turbo is back in, trans is in, new plugs, new seals, a few new gaskets and O rings here and there. Tidied up some wiring so nothings hanging like before (can be seen in picture 1). Wired up to new trans with neutral safety switch and reverse lights are operational.
                                BAASSSSSSS

January 25, 2016, 11:17 AM #41

Ctown8 Offline

Filled up all fluids and stated checking for leaks, a couple banjo bolts had to be tightened at bit, but nothing seems to be leaking anymore, except one pesky power steering bolt... But thats   for another day.
                                  BAASSSSSSS

January 25, 2016, 11:26 AM #42

Ctown8 Offline

Couple annoying parts, the speed sensor is a cable on the 92 models, but on the 02 that the trans came from its a digital part with a plug. So we had to take out the digital part which was made of plastic. Obviously it didn't turn so we basically had to cut it out until it would turn in the hole. It was a huge pain but we got all the plastic bits out of the hold and when finished it looked just like the old trans.
                                    BAASSSSSSS

January 25, 2016, 11:38 AM #43

Ctown8 Offline

Next issue was what we though was a failed release bearing, actually turned out to be a leaking clutch hose (no pressure). this would not have been a big deal if the old hose has the same size ends... The ends were roughly 1/4" in depth and the new one was roughly 3/8" to make the skinnier hose work, some one had previously cut the banjo bolt shorter on one end (slave cylinder side) so with the new hose the bolt didn't have enough bit for me to feel comfortable (1 full turn).

So my adventure to find a longer banjo bolt began on Friday, it was awful, no one in the city had one, ended up going to see Subaru Gerry off Sturgeon rd. walked through his yard with him for almost an hour in my shoes (not boots). Eventually found one on an old fozzy. Missed my birthday dinner because of it but that okay, Subaru > Steak dinner.
                                      BAASSSSSSS

January 25, 2016, 11:47 AM #44

Ctown8 Offline

Once we got it all assembled we bled the clutch, this was more difficult than expected but turned out really good, it feels even better than before now. (this was this morning).
                                        Last night we had it bled to the point where it worked but was engaging the pressure plate the second you moved your foot off the floor. We did let the car idle for a while last night just to make sure there were no drips left and luckily there was only one. But it was coming off the flange before the up pipe meets the turbo DDD so we got worried thinking why the heck is the exhaust leaking a liquid and smoking like no ones business? Turns out when I washed the up pipe (was coated with dried burnt oil from before) I soaked it in our parts washer, it just hadn't quite dried yet. After running it for 10 minutes and watching was looked like burning plastic drippings to the floor (except smoking not burning) the drips slowed. I took it to the car wash for a test drive (2 km away) it was smoking pretty bad when I got there, but it had a distinct smell of solvent. Drove it home and called it an night (still smoking a bit). This morning I fired it up and the smoke took a lot longer to start but it did after a while. But much less than yesterday. We finished bleeding the clutch and I drove it to work this morning. When I got to work there was no more smoke and everything looked dry.  :banana: I am very happy and hope this is the last serious repair job I'll have to do for a while. Oh thats right. Celica needs a new trans and seals too...
                                        BAASSSSSSS

January 25, 2016, 12:28 PM #45

omaid Offline

• Vehicle: GC STI chevy tahoe
                                          • Reputation Power: 37
                                          • omaid is working their way up.omaid is working their way up.omaid is working their way up.
                                          Nice work any idea twin turbo engine from 1997 or 98 with with fit in 1993 or 1994 4 doors sedan legacy
                                          1996 GC STI for sale
                                          1997 GC STI for sale
                                          2009 chevy tahoe for sale
                                          GC GF parts for sale

January 25, 2016, 12:44 PM #46

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by omaid
                                            Nice work any idea twin turbo engine from 1997 or 98 with with fit in 1993 or 1994 4 doors sedan legacy
                                            I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as you have the right wiring harness, trans and diff. Most of these engines are interchangable.
                                            BAASSSSSSS

January 25, 2016, 12:45 PM #47

Ctown8 Offline

Big thanks to @daveh for helping source a few parts! Super knowledgeable guy this would have been a lot more work without his help.
                                              BAASSSSSSS

January 25, 2016, 01:06 PM #48

Colby Offline

Originally posted by omaid
                                                Are you throwing into a LHD vehicle?

January 25, 2016, 02:53 PM #49

omaid Offline

Location: Winnipeg MB Canada
                                                  • Vehicle: GC STI chevy tahoe
                                                  • Reputation Power: 37
                                                  • omaid is working their way up.omaid is working their way up.omaid is working their way up.
                                                  Yes
                                                  1996 GC STI for sale
                                                  1997 GC STI for sale
                                                  2009 chevy tahoe for sale
                                                  GC GF parts for sale

Top Tier Imports

Colin's 92 Turbo Legacy
                                                    « Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 02:53 PM »