Author Topic: World Of Wheels 2016 - Mar 18-20  (Read 2739 times)

January 19, 2016, 11:32 AM #25

Alex2NF Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Subaru BRZ - 2004 Toyota 4Runner
  • Reputation Power: 234
  • Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!
Originally posted by Winter Beater
You wouldn't have went anyways unless you got in for free or got paid to go.

Who said the show was going to be filled with cars with only coils, wheels and stickers?

I've had a few people with very few mods like that ask me if I thought their cars should be in WOW and I told them probably not. At the end of the day, anybody who wants to register can, I can't say no to them only the organizers can. I explained to the people who asked about their cars what the caliber of cars that were typically in World of Wheels was, and hopefully they took that into account. I also told them about other shows/meets where their cars may fit in better instead of World of wheels.

Not knowing that date on the email could explain the omission. I only met with Bob in late December to get this tuner thing rolling, so the if the email was sent before that it would explain it.

There is no 'plan of overlooking a certain expectation of quality and modification'. I don't know why people think I'm attempting to recruit ANY import I can possibly find for the show. That is simply not the case.

As I told someone else who is entering over the weekend, if they limited it to 'show' cars only, there might be only 5-10 cars in this province that are 'worthy'. There are very few tuner 'show cars' in this province. And that represents less than 1% of the tuner cars in the province. Not a good representation of the tuner scene locally at all.

Typically at a show like that if a car isn't exciting, people just walk by. It doesn't have a 'do more harm than good' effect.

We all know the tuner scene standard of quality is below that of the hot-rod scene, there are several factors that influence that, age and available funds are a big one. That fact isn't necessarily a bad thing though. The tuner scene is the most accessible, and possibly the most influential car scene to people who are interested in getting involved in the various activities that are a big part of the scene (meets, shows, cruises, events, autox, drift, drag, etc).

The intent in having a larger than previous quantity of good quality tuner cars at the show is to engage people and potential newcomers to the scene. By having a good turnout it shows the public & the hot-rod guys that exist in a positive and organized manner. By having a Top Tier booth there (which I got for you guys free, normally vendor space is $500+ for a 10x10) with a few cars, it  gives Top Tier and the local scene great exposure and allows us to engage the public, promote the many positive, safe, organized events and meets throughout the year to the public as well as welcome any newcomers who are interested in getting involved in what we have to offer.

There will be 50k people through the doors that weekend. Last year, the day I was there with two of the tuner cars in the show I can't count the amount of people who stopped to talk to us about getting into the local tuner scene, where to go for meets, etc. We spend the full day talking to people who wanted to get involved but didn't have a clue where to start....

The number one goal here is to promote the local scene in a positive light and to grow the scene. This opportunity opens up a HUGE door for us to do so.

Ah ok, I think the message might have come across wrong via some posts I read on facebook. My understanding was that you wanted a lot of cars there, and didn't mind if they weren't show cars. I read that as relaxed standards as opposed to diversity. Going back and re-reading that post, I can see that it could also have been meant differently, so that's my bad. I genuinely hope that the import side of WOW will grow year over year to the point where us (the import community) showing interest isn't the only way to be mentioned during planning meetings which subsequently leads to mention in promo material.
13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
04 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sport
∞ Toyota Echo Race Car
98 Acura Integra Race Car 2
IG: @alexdbrz / Twitter: @ToyotaWinnipeg / Snap: OilMyPencil

Top Tier Imports

World Of Wheels 2016 - Mar 18-20
    « Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 11:32 AM »

January 19, 2016, 01:34 PM #26

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
    • Reputation Power: 95
    • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
    Originally posted by Alex2NF
    Ah ok, I think the message might have come across wrong via some posts I read on facebook. My understanding was that you wanted a lot of cars there, and didn't mind if they weren't show cars.

The reason I said 'not necessarily show cars' and also asked if anybody could recommend other cars is that there are a good amount of very clean builds in this city where the owner's are modest and don't consider their cars show cars or sometimes not even show worthy at all when in reality they would represent very well. The intent was to potentially get those owners thinking about maybe entering their cars.

January 19, 2016, 01:48 PM #27

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
      • Reputation Power: 95
      • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
      Originally posted by Alex2NF
      I genuinely hope that the import side of WOW will grow year over year to the point where us (the import community) showing interest isn't the only way to be mentioned during planning meetings which subsequently leads to mention in promo material.

I hope it grows as well. I wouldn't be putting in any effort if I didn't think it would be beneficial for everyone. However, in order for it the tuner portion of the show to grow, the negative attitudes towards the show and the other cars that may or may not be in the show need to stop. If people don't have anything positive to contribute, they shouldn't be posting.

This really is the first year (that I can remember) that will have more than 3 or 4 tuner cars in the show. In the past the tuner cars have been but a small fraction of the overall show, so you can't expect them to be mentioned in the promo material. You also can't expect the organizers to come and beg us to come, they've got more than enough on their hands already organizing the show.

The fact that Bob came and sat down with me in my end of town for a few hours to chat about the show, the tuner community and how they want us to be more involved, more active in the show and other events says a lot.

Perhaps if we do this year well, don't trash talk the show, who may or may not be going to the show and we provide a positive contribution to the show we see a mention of tuners on the promo material next year.

March 20, 2016, 05:27 PM #28

Iconic_Stance Offline

• Reputation Power: 1
        • Iconic_Stance has no influence.
        I got like 100 pics of the show yesterday. I can post them here right?

March 20, 2016, 05:44 PM #29

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
          • Reputation Power: 90
          • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
          Originally posted by Iconic_Stance
          I got like 100 pics of the show yesterday. I can post them here right?
          I don't think so. You'd want to create a thread in the Events Gallery, and I think @Shaun usually says about 10 pics per post.

http://toptierimports.com/index.php?board=51.0
          Current Forester count: 1
          New business opening soon...

Top Tier Imports

World Of Wheels 2016 - Mar 18-20
            « Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 05:44 PM »