Author Topic: Loose brake pressure only when r32 engine is on  (Read 568 times)

January 31, 2016, 10:32 AM #0

nicR32gts4 Offline

• Vehicle: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 gts 4
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • nicR32gts4 has no influence.
when I have the car sitting turned off I have brake pressure,  but when I turn the car on, the brake petal can be pushed to the floor with no resistance.  i haven't done any brake work,   it's just been siting for the winter so I decided to start it up and pull it out of the garage a little and that's when I found I don't have brakes.  Help??  Is the the brake booster or vacuum lines? And if so how do I go about fixing that lol
Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:56 AM by nicR32gts4

Top Tier Imports

Loose brake pressure only when r32 engine is on
    « on: January 31, 2016, 10:32 AM »

February 02, 2016, 08:33 AM #1

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
    • Reputation Power: 98
    • firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!
    Have you tried bleeding your brakes?

March 31, 2016, 12:35 AM #2

JosiahP Offline

• Vehicle: 1990 mazda miata - 1991 Nissan Skyline GTR
      • Reputation Power: 10
      • JosiahP has no influence.
      Sounds like a vacuum leak as r32 brakes are powered by vacuum. Check the lines going to the master, if that fails check your fluid level and try bleeding it if necessary
      Life goes by, how quick? Well it depends on your right foot.
      1991 Nissan Skyline GTR
      1990 Turbo Miata aka the money pit/race car
      1990 Miata organ donor - scraped
      1990 Jeep Cherokee 3in lifted with 31" tires

JP Fabworks

April 02, 2016, 01:14 PM #3

NaTeTeO Offline

• Vehicle: Silver 2003 Buick Regal LS
        • Reputation Power: 4
        • NaTeTeO has no influence.
        If you pedal sinks all the way down to the floor you must have a good vacuum which means its not a vacuum line/hose or brake booster issue. About 3 years ago I had a friend that owned a 89 gtr his brake master cylinder leaked  after sitting all winter in a non insulated garage. The best way to confirm you have a leak is to check fluid level in the reservoir. If its low shine a light on the brake master cylinder and see of its wet if it not dripping brake fluid top up the reservoir, and spray down your master cylinder with brake cleaner. With the car off slowly pump the brake pedal with out bottoming out on the floor. Do 5-10 pumps and then hold pedal down, If the pedal doesnt drop at all when you hold it down with car off, i suggest starting the car and repeat to be on the safe side. If it drops at all in both car off or car on bleed brake system to be on the safe side. After systems has been bleed, recheck brake master cylinder for any leaks. If its dry and your brakes are firm, holds pressure.best case is the seals shrunk when it was cold out allowing the fluid to leak out while in storage over winter. The best way to confirm this is to test the brakes on a warmer day so that you don't end up losing brakes on the public roads if everything checks out.
        BeCaUsEBuIcK

Top Tier Imports

Loose brake pressure only when r32 engine is on
          « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 01:14 PM »