Author Topic: HYDRO-DIPPING/Water-Transfer Printing *NOW HERE*  (Read 6386 times)

February 11, 2016, 01:46 AM #0

Eppic Offline

• Vehicle: Miata's (lots of them)
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Eppic barely matters.Eppic barely matters.
It's been in the planning stages for about a year and a half now.  Done some training.  Ordered some of my start up stuff today.  I was hoping to start in a new shop with lots of space, but i'm to excited and eager.  I pulled the trigger today.  Cleaning out a spare room in my house (shop is overflowing already) for a dip station.

What is Hydro-Dipping/Water Transfer Printing?
in very simplistic terms, it's using water as a squeegee to apply a special film to a 3d object

How durable is it?
every part that is dipped gets finished off with automotive clear coat giving it years and years of durability and UV protection.

What can be dipped?
pretty well anything that wont disintegrate when submerged under water.  The possibilities are endless.

Here's some of my own stuff that i've learned on.  I'll probably update this periodically or maybe I'll make a show thread, we'll see.
my 8 year old princess auto helmet was in need of an update.

And I always loved seeing painters with cool cans on their guns.  My turn!!!

As for pricing.  (as requested below)
I've been doing lots of research and talking with other businesses across the country and some in the states.  It doesn't seem like anyone has any set pricing for anything.  The reason for this is because there are so many area's that are variables.  I guess i would compare it to when I fix rust for a customer.  I can't even give them a number because you actually have no idea how far the rust goes.  What I do is I make sure they want their vehicle fixed and they know when they walk out my door that they are going to have new metal and paint on their car and it's going to last for a really long time because it is done correctly.

My mission statement is as follows:
At Eppic Industries, the goal is to change the communities view of mechanics cheating and stealing to get ahead, but rather to create lasting friendships with customers. By providing honest and integral service and creating a comfortable atmosphere where you feel in good hands and where trust develops into a friendship.
That is on the back of every one of my business cards.

So far, business is growing.  I have waaaaaay more friends then I used to, and everyone leaves my building with a smile on their face.
I love my job, but at an equal level I love teaching people about their cars.  That's a bonus of being the owner.  I want you guys to know what's going on with your vehicle when things wear out, when you have a strange noise, when something is broken.  I keep all parts to show you what broke and that I'm not charging you for anything I haven't done.  I care more about people then cars.  People need cars to do life. I'm the guy that makes sure you can do life with less hassle or stress. We are in this together.  I do life by helping you do life.  So... if you want some super awesome woodgrain on your dash or a carbon fiber grill on your car.  That's awesome.  I probably want it just as badly in my own vehicle.  Smiles make my day.  If I can make you smile but delivering you a quality product that is going to last for years... BAM! that's the ticket right there.  You're going to tell your friends to come see me too.  You left with a big smile on your face.  You want your buddies to feel the same.  In turn I get to make more smiles happen and that's the best part of my day.
To be honest, I wish I could work for free, life would be so much easier.  Money just stresses me out.   How do you put a price on a smile?  This is part of life though.  I have to make a living to feed myself and continue to grow the business.  "Ery buddy got bills"  We have to establish some grounds of value for service.  Every part is different.  Different materials require more prep work then others.  Different finishes require more expensive materials then others.  (A candy red clear coat will be more then a regular clear)
So let's say that pricing is subject to the part and the condition of it.

Shoot me an email or call the shop and a few things will happen:
#1 - A new friendship will begin.
#2 - I get to know a bit of who you are cause this is custom work.  It says a lot about a person.  You're probably not putting barbie dolls on your xbox if you're into Call of Duty.
#3 - Once I get to know a little bit about you, I can then craft the ultimate process of getting a genuine smile onto your face!
#4 - We agree on what works for you
#5 - We both look forward to our next conversation

My goal with my business is not to become some multi billion dollar corporation.  I think that's where most small businesses get in over their heads.  I like to work hard and make cool stuff.  (Lots of you know the cars I drive)  This is just one more way of making cool stuff. 

I look forward to hearing from you guys.  :)
204-381-9363 (land line)
Eppicindustries@gmail.com
Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:51 AM by Eppic

Top Tier Imports

HYDRO-DIPPING/Water-Transfer Printing *NOW HERE*
    « on: February 11, 2016, 01:46 AM »

February 11, 2016, 10:38 AM #1

omaid Offline

• Vehicle: GC STI chevy tahoe
    • Reputation Power: 37
    • omaid is working their way up.omaid is working their way up.omaid is working their way up.
    I have some interior parts need to do this
    1996 GC STI for sale
    1997 GC STI for sale
    2009 chevy tahoe for sale
    GC GF parts for sale

February 11, 2016, 11:35 AM #2

Eppic Offline

you'll know as soon as I have things rolling and we can get your stuff dipped.  :)

February 11, 2016, 09:00 PM #3

tytanium Offline

• Vehicle: 07 Mazdaspeed 3, 06 Civic DX-G
        • Reputation Power: 81
        • tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.
        hydro dipping is pretty cool stuff. I did my valvecover last summer
        #boostedhatchcrew

February 11, 2016, 09:17 PM #4

CodyLoewen Offline

• Reputation Power: 40
          • CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...
          What kind of price point will this service cost? 
          1999 Honda Civic

[Feb 22 16:57:22] Shaun:i dont wanna be friends with fence posts 

Faken:if i get this promtion.. i might get a convertible..
          Shaun:a convertible what? pen? yes this pen turns into a coupon holder.

February 12, 2016, 10:11 AM #5

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
            • Reputation Power: 80
            • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
            Will most likely need your services,  also interested in an idea of where pricing may be at
            [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
            95 GTR- SOLD
            03 RSX-S - SOLD
            08 G6- wrekt
            10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

February 13, 2016, 12:24 PM #6

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
              • Reputation Power: 42
              • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
              Idea on pricing?  For a valve cover for example? 
              Is there much waste, or can you recover excess and reuse it on the next part?
              D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
              04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
              Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
              http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

February 13, 2016, 03:03 PM #7

venzon Offline

• Vehicle: leggy & saabaru
                • Reputation Power: 3
                • venzon has no influence.
                Is it posible to achive a gold dipped (chome) look?

February 13, 2016, 03:23 PM #8

Impact Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Mitsubishi Evo V GSR
                  • Reputation Power: 52
                  • Impact is on the verge of being accepted.Impact is on the verge of being accepted.Impact is on the verge of being accepted.Impact is on the verge of being accepted.Impact is on the verge of being accepted.
                  how well does it hold up against heat?
                  as i would like to dip my FMIC setup and turbo, etc, etc
                  1998 Mitsubishi Evolution V GSR - Evo-la

Got a Mitsubishi? Come join Mitsubishi Club of Manitoba (MCM) on Facebook or follow on IG Mitsubishi_Club_of_Manitoba

February 15, 2016, 11:34 AM #9

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
                    • Reputation Power: 40
                    • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                    Originally posted by Impact
                    how well does it hold up against heat?
                    as i would like to dip my FMIC setup and turbo, etc, etc

Are you talking endtanks, or the whole core?  I wouldn't think that would assist with heat transfer properties if applied over an IC core...
                    '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                    '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                    '04 Lexus GX470

February 15, 2016, 12:03 PM #10

Eppic Offline

still working on pricing.  I'll make a thread once I have that stuff figured out.

as far as heat stuff goes, I've talked to a guy who dips compressor housings on turbo's and says as long as it's ceramic coated underneath you'll have no problem.  Everything gets covered in automotive clear coat.  I had concerns about products yellowing from heat but i'm told it's not a problem.

as far as waste goes, lets say I was dipping a valve cover.
                      Imagine wrapping paper covering your piece.  The only thing is you only cut the roll once.  so it's not like cutting a piece of paper to wrap around the part, it's more making the part wrap around the paper because you never want to come up short when you dip and the corner of your part doesn't get film.  You can't pull it back out and reposition and try again.  You have to sand blast, paint strip, do all sorts of jazz to get it back to the start.  So waste is controllable but to the untrained eye it can look like there's lots of waste.  Once the special activator is applied to the film it's got a one time use.  If you watch a couple videos online of hydro-dipping you'll understand what i mean.  :)

Here's a video of a friend of mine doing some work down in the states. gives you an idea of how to process works.

February 15, 2016, 12:09 PM #11

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                        • Reputation Power: 10
                        • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                        I like this stuff but I can imagine it would cost a pretty penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

February 16, 2016, 01:29 AM #12

tytanium Offline

• tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.
                          Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                          I like this stuff but I can imagine it would cost a pretty penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          theres kits you can buy and do it yourself for pretty cheap. the kit I bought came to about $160 and came with everything you would need to do some basic parts
                          #boostedhatchcrew

February 16, 2016, 03:55 AM #13

Eppic Offline

Originally posted by tytanium
                            theres kits you can buy and do it yourself for pretty cheap. the kit I bought came to about $160 and came with everything you would need to do some basic parts

Kits are good if you want to experiment and try it out. The problem with rattle cans is that you can't control flow. Product comes out very fast and heavy. It does work, just quality is sacrificed. Kinda like spray painting a car and actually painting a car. Both do the same job. One just looks better at the end of the day.

February 16, 2016, 08:17 AM #14

tytanium Offline

Originally posted by Eppic
                              Kits are good if you want to experiment and try it out. The problem with rattle cans is that you can't control flow. Product comes out very fast and heavy. It does work, just quality is sacrificed. Kinda like spray painting a car and actually painting a car. Both do the same job. One just looks better at the end of the day.
                              comes out perfectly fine if you know what you are doing and don't rush it
                              #boostedhatchcrew

February 16, 2016, 12:07 PM #15

Impact Offline

• Impact is on the verge of being accepted.Impact is on the verge of being accepted.Impact is on the verge of being accepted.Impact is on the verge of being accepted.Impact is on the verge of being accepted.

tits or gtfo..

i mean pics...oops

Got a Mitsubishi? Come join Mitsubishi Club of Manitoba (MCM) on Facebook or follow on IG Mitsubishi_Club_of_Manitoba

February 16, 2016, 02:41 PM #16

tytanium Offline

#boostedhatchcrew

February 16, 2016, 05:29 PM #17

Eppic Offline

"perfectly fine" is a relative term.  My goal is to put out the highest quality level possible for my customers.  As a red seal tech i did my first year of apprenticeship in a body shop before switching to mechanical.  Learned the basics.  Painted a few cars.  In my world, a rattle can is significantly different.
                                    For the DIY guy, a rattle can job is a great way to experiment and try new things.  If you're a curious feller reading this, I'll even sell you a DIY kit.  But, if a fine gentleman such as yourself were to pay for my services would you rather have me use spray paint or see an hvlp gun in the hands of a trained professional?  I think the later is the key to returning customers.  :)

First 18 sample rolls of film should be here tomorrow.  Got some other things to finish up this week in the shop before I can start playing but hold on just a bit longer, I hope to have some stuff done by the weekend. 

(cool snake print btw)

February 17, 2016, 12:57 AM #18

Impact Offline

so withe a base price, what would a valve cover be like?

February 17, 2016, 05:38 AM #19

Eppic Offline

I think we'll be looking at the $150-$200 mark for a valve cover.  If i have to remove powder coating, cost will go up as that stuff does not like to come off.

Basic procedure:
                                        Strip part
                                        Prep for primer
                                        Prime
                                        Prep for base coat
                                        Base coat
                                        Prep for dipping
                                        Dip part
                                        Rinse part
                                        Dry and prep for clear
                                        Clear
                                        Polish if needed for an awesome smooth deep finish
                                        Tell you it's done and anticipate the excitement and the smile on your face when you come to pick it up

I'm looking forward to this!
                                        Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:47 AM by Eppic

February 17, 2016, 12:18 PM #20

Impact Offline

We can supply the pattern?

February 17, 2016, 12:26 PM #21

Eppic Offline

yup.  but i can't guarantee quality of the finish if you bring your own film though.  there's cheap films and good films.  you get what you pay for. 

February 17, 2016, 12:32 PM #22

Impact Offline

Originally posted by Eppic
                                              yup.  but i can't guarantee quality of the finish if you bring your own film though.  there's cheap films and good films.  you get what you pay for. 

I just a specific design. I can send it via email. Let me know if its doable.

Also what is your tub size? If you do a valve cover, can you also in the corner do like other small things?
                                              As I would like to get odds and ends done too. Like fuel rail, regulator, intake pipe, etc, etc.

Thanks.

February 17, 2016, 03:37 PM #23

Eppic Offline

one piece at a time.  you have to remember the film goes down as the part is fed into the water.  there's not really any "left overs".  and if there is, the pattern will be stretched and wonky so it wouldn't match anyway.

email me what you're looking at.
                                                eppicindustries@gmail.com

February 17, 2016, 06:51 PM #24

Eppic Offline

oh goody... don't mind my squirrel in his canoe.  he's just fishing for some nuts i dropped on the floor

money money money, or maybe some sexy leopard print, there's a lot of fun stuff in this here pile.

Top Tier Imports

HYDRO-DIPPING/Water-Transfer Printing *Coming Soon*
                                                    « Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 06:51 PM »