Author Topic: FS: 1986 Toyota Cressida  (Read 1453 times)

February 17, 2016, 09:23 PM #0

M1abrams Offline

• Vehicle: MX73 Cressida 2JZ GTE
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • M1abrams has no influence.
1986 Toyota Cressida for sale

(Detail pics coming)

MILES: 167000 (U.S. car)
Transmission: Automatic
Colour: Blue
Not safetied. Just needs speedo cable end installed (EDIT: Installed).

Hi guys. If you've considered restoring or modifying a MX73 Cressida but were turned off by the typical rusted hulks out there - I have a VERY solid 1986 Cressida for sale. I'm selling because I have too many cars and not much time for this one.

I purchased from the U.S. a few years back. I drove the car daily but stopped driving it after the valve guide seals started to go. The car doesn't smoke too badly but the exhaust smells bad.

This Cressida is almost rust free with only small spots appearing in the last couple of years. The body is straight and clean. The clear coat on the trunk lid is fading but still looks good with a wash/wax. (Needs body side trim - I removed it with the intent to replace but never did.)

Notable repairs/upgrades made since my purchase of the car are:

Timing belt;
Alternator;
Front brake discs/pads;
Replaced from wheel lug bolts;
KYB struts/shocks;
Polyurethane anti-roll bar end links;
Larger diameter exhaust system;
Battery;
other small stuff

All electrics work: headlights, parking lights, turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, fog lamps, rear defrost, power/heated mirrors, power windows, power door locks, sunroof slide/flip, etc.

This is a smooth running, smooth driving Cressida. The differentials on these cars can whine or clunk but this one is good. (Non LSD diff)

For full disclosure, here is what the car needs fixed:

As noted, valve guide seals will need replacing (along with the valve cover gaskets). The interior blower works only on auto or high setting. The heater door appears stuck between settings and needs to be sorted for any cold weather driving. I removed the sound system but will include the stock stereo. An annoyance is that the stock alarm goes off right after you unlock the car and have to quickly insert the key into the ignition to stop it. I'm sure someone has listed a remedy online.

My selling price is $2000 OBO. No trades please. Not desperate to sell so no low-ballers please.

This car is in better shape than most I've seen for sale out west yet priced comparable. (Note that I am considering having the oil seals replaced but would then raise the asking price.)
Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:04 PM by M1abrams

Top Tier Imports

FS: 1986 Toyota Cressida
    « on: February 17, 2016, 09:23 PM »

February 20, 2016, 10:33 AM #1

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
    • Reputation Power: 120
    • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
    did someone day JZ swap? I would love to pick this thing up but just dont have the time!
    BAASSSSSSS
    I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
    My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
    Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

February 20, 2016, 12:16 PM #2

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
      • Reputation Power: 108
      • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
      If all it needs is a speedo cable end to pass safety, why not just do that and sell it as a safetied car?

February 20, 2016, 02:25 PM #3

M1abrams Offline

"If all it needs is a speedo cable end to pass safety, why not just do that and sell it as a safetied car?"

With these warmer temps this weekend I'll likely do that.

February 20, 2016, 06:46 PM #4

M1abrams Offline

I installed the speedo end cable today; drove the car across Moray bridge which is 80 kph - speedo works perfectly.

March 08, 2016, 08:54 PM #5

gameface Offline

• Vehicle: X W/ JZ
            • Reputation Power: 4
            • gameface has no influence.
            Auto belts automatically drop the price $1000

March 09, 2016, 12:16 PM #6

M1abrams Offline

(Auto belts automatically drop the price $1000)

An annoyance perhaps but they work and you'll never be ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt.

March 15, 2016, 10:59 PM #7

M1abrams Offline

Sorry for taking so long with the detail body pics. You can see them on flickr:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskwyMLxz

The only real rust is a small spot in front of the driver-side rear wheel. There's also a small bubble starting on the passenger side. The trunk lid should be re-sprayed or you can replace the lid all together.

Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:59 PM by M1abrams

March 15, 2016, 11:22 PM #8

M1abrams Offline

As I mentioned, the real issue with the car is that it needs the valve guide seals replaced (periodically smokes and has smelly exhaust). This and the interior blower does not blow out of the vents very strong. The car may pass a safety as is but these issues need to be fixed.

Considering how paint and body repair can cost thousands, a solid car like this for $2000 is fair. I'm not really motivated to sell and wish I had the time to fix/restore this car. If this doesn't sell near my asking price I'm going to give it to a relative.

(I'm pretty busy these days so my apologies for the slow reply to texts.)

May 18, 2017, 03:43 PM #9

M1abrams Offline

Hey all. I haven't been motivated to sell this car since I first posted this ad but it is still for sale. It's presently insured and I drive it periodically. Thanks.

Top Tier Imports

FS: 1986 Toyota Cressida
                      « Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 03:43 PM »