Author Topic: 2016 Autocross Thread  (Read 10589 times)

March 18, 2016, 07:24 PM #0

Magner Offline

• Vehicle: Neons
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
2016 Autocross thread

Link to 2016 Schedule: http://www.wscc.mb.ca/autoslalom/PENDING

Common questions:

What is Autocross?

How do I Register for events?
For 2016 we will be using MotorsportReg: http://www.motorsportreg.com/
This site is used by 700 motorsports clubs including all national SCCA events
For additional WSCC event registration details please follow this link: http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/10434-autoslalom-registration-guide/

Where are events held?
Events are usually held at St. Andrews Airport unless otherwise noted on the schedule
If you are coming from Winnipeg it's Highway 8 northbound (aka McPhillips St).
Turn right on McPhilips Rd
25 later right on Aviation Blvd.
5 Feet later turn left on George Porayko Way (gravel access road)
Drive past the control tower on the gravel road to access the site. (DO NOT DRIVE ON THE ACTIVE RUNWAY)

"George Porayko Way" on Google maps.

Note: no one is allowed on site outside the event hours, the site is monitored and any unauthorized trespassers with not be tolerated.

What time should I arrive on site?
For all competitors it is recommended to arrive between 10 and 10:45 am, you will need time to for course walks and getting you car prepared. If it's your first time come closer to 10am since you will need to take the novice course walk (MANDATORY FOR ALL FIRST TIMERS)If you show up AT, OR AFTER 11am you will not allowed to race, please show up on time

I don't have a race car or anything modified can I race my stock car?
Yes! Just about every car is welcome from a stock Corolla to a Corvette to a RHD R33 GTR provided it meets the requirements of the tech inspection. Self tech inspection sheets found here: PENDING LINK
Make sure you check each item on the Tech Inspection carefully BEFORE each event. please print and check everything before the event, then hand it in at the registration trailer when you arrive.
First timers, inflate your tires to the maximum recommended pressure ( it will be printed on all tire sidewalls). This will ensure you do not roll over the tires.

What car class am I in?

If you are new of unsure of your car class please class yourself as NYC (Not Yet Classed). If you have any questions or need assistance please ask in this thread: http://toptierimports.com/index.php?topic=2803.0 or http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9304-2014-car-classing-guide-help-thread/

I'm not competing, but is it free to come watch?
It's free to spectate! But you must come to the registration trailer and sign the waiver. THE WAIVER MUST BE SIGNED BY EVERYONE ON SITE.

What should I do for lunch?
We have a hot dog cart on site, or pack a lunch. (You don't have enough time to drive to Lockport or Winnipeg to get lunch and come back between run groups)

What should I bring?
-Lots of water! No water is available on site. A cooler is very handy on hot days!
-Lunch/lunch money and snacks
-Sunscreen
-Good comfortable running/walking shoes
-Dress according to the weather, yes we race in the rain but make sure you are prepared if it rains, coat, pants, hats etc...
-Hand sanitizer or something to clean your hands is a great idea.
-Umbrella for shade might also be a good idea.
-Bag or a bin to keep all of stuff together
-Make sure you car is clear of any loose items such as loose change, garbage, clothing etc. (any floor mats not mechanically fastened to the car must also be removed)  No competitors will be allowed to leave the start line if loose items are left in the car.

Can I bring my helmet?
Only bring a helmet if it is "Snell" rated. If you are unsure check the outside base of the helmet were it meets your neck, it will have a Snell sticker on it. If it doesn't say Snell on it, don't bring it. We have Snell approved loaner helmets in all sizes for you to borrow. Only having the "DOT" safety rating is NOT enough, it MUST be Snell rated

Do I need to "work"?
If you are racing you must also complete a work assignment. Participants are split into and "A" and "B" groups. "A" works when "B" races and vise versa. Work consists of picking up knocked over cones and placing them back in their painted boxes, it's also great fun to watch the cars from the corner stations. (no spectators are allowed in the work station areas during the event) Sign up for your work detail when you arrive at the registration station. Autocross supplies its own workers, this is how we keep racing cheap!

Can I bring my young kids? (under 14 years old)
No, it's highly recommend against bringing children to events. Children under 14 are not permitted to ride along with parents. Any person under the age of 18 must have a minor consent form filled out at the timing trailer. If you plan to race do not bring your children, you will be unable to take them as you race or bring them to your work station. (no children are allowed at any marshall stations)

I'm under 18, can I race?
Yes but only if you have the following:
-A valid class 5 license (no learners)
-A parent or legal guarding present with you
-A signed minor consent form from a parent or legal guardian

I'm under 18, can I spectate?
Yes but you must have a minor consent form filled out by a parent or legal guardian

I'm under 18, can I be a passenger in someones car?
Yes but only if you have met the following:
-A signed minor consent form from a parent or legal guardian
-14 years of age or older
-Only in a vehicle being driven by their parent or guardian

Why do keep seeing so many different names for this sport?
Autocross is the general term used to call the sport.
It can be abbreviated to "auto-x" (PS. please don't call it Auto "EX"  ;))
Legally in Canada the sport is called "Autoslalom" by ASN Canada (our racing governing body).
In the United States the largest governing body (SCCA) calls it "Solo". Up until a few years ago the SCCA called it "Solo II".

Why should I autocross?
-The people! Friendly,  like-minded individuals that love cars and pushing them to the limit!
-Push you and your car in a safe and legal environment!
-Cheapest form of motor-racing!
-The challenge of trying to get that perfect run!

Question? Ask!
Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:39 AM by Magner

Top Tier Imports

2016 Autocross Thread
    « on: March 18, 2016, 07:24 PM »

March 18, 2016, 07:41 PM #1

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
    • Reputation Power: 169
    • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
    "Do I need to work" section there's a typo.. "No sepetators" <3
    (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

March 18, 2016, 07:59 PM #2

Magner Offline

• Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
      What are your plans for the 2016 season?

I'll get the ball rolling....

bought a new Neon last summer to take the fight to the Civics & Corrolla in SMF class (Street Modified FWD), arguably the most entertaining and well represented class we have locally, I just had to jump it the fight myself!

1998 Dodge Neon RT originally from Colorado and very far from stock

Notables
      2.4L engine swap with Hahn race-craft Stage II turbo Kit
      Lots of supporting drive-train and suspension modifications

SMF Upgrades in progress
      New transmission heavily modified incl. LSD
      Double adjustable Koni's re-valved by Truechoice for 800lbs/600lbs springs
      15x9 wheels with 225/45/15 BFG Rival (S) Tires (pending flares)
      New steering rack with power steering cooler 
      Megasquirt-II & tune
      Stripped interior (to the limit of SMF rules)
      Aero - (SMF Psychological warfare rendition in the works)
      Miscellaneous reliability & supporting mods.

Currently at a dead-end however, while removing the control arms I broke the control arm mounts on the subframe trying to take out a seized bolt. Need to source a new subframe. Unfortunately it will not be ready for the start of the season.
      Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:35 PM by Magner

March 18, 2016, 09:06 PM #3

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
        • Reputation Power: 193
        • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

March 18, 2016, 09:46 PM #4

cluelessk Online

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
        • Reputation Power: 19
        • cluelessk has no influence.
        The 2014 rule book for classing shared in the link is still current?
        [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

March 18, 2016, 10:03 PM #5

Magner Offline

Originally posted by cluelessk
          The 2014 rule book for classing shared in the link is still current?
          Thanks for the heads up,

Updated 2016 draft rule book link here: http://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

Ill wait to edit the link once they release the final version for 2016.

March 18, 2016, 10:38 PM #6

Run Away Offline

• Reputation Power: 22
            • Run Away barely matters.Run Away barely matters.
            I'm out for the 2016 season as I'll be focusing on my truck build. But I may drop by an event or two with a different car...

Excited for the neon build!

2017 the civic will be back with more power and maybe some other goodies. :)
            -Ben

March 19, 2016, 06:57 AM #7

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
              • Reputation Power: 91
              • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
              Got rid of the JDM. Will be in DS - just trying to find some decent stock-spec wheels, need to order tired and quite a few maintenance items. Will also be at far fewer events to spend time with kid / family.
              Current Forester count: 1
              New business opening soon...

March 19, 2016, 07:51 AM #8

Riley Offline

• Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST
                • Reputation Power: 128
                • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
                I actually have the entire summer off starting mid-May. Probably still will hardly make it out as I'll have a second kid then too.

@Magner a broken/unfinished neon? hardly new to this place!
                #keepingitstock

March 20, 2016, 09:18 PM #9

Magner Offline

2016 WSCC Autocross schedule has been released: http://www.wscc.mb.ca/autoslalom/

March 20, 2016, 09:24 PM #10

Vince Offline

• Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                    Originally posted by Magner
                    2016 WSCC Autocross schedule has been released: http://www.wscc.mb.ca/autoslalom/
                    No RRX date this year?

March 20, 2016, 10:00 PM #11

bonspeed Offline

• Reputation Power: 20
                      • bonspeed barely matters.bonspeed barely matters.
                      hoping to come out more this season, last year I think I was only able to do 2 events cause of my work schedule.

excited to see the neon out too chris!
                      REV HARD... or DON'T REV AT ALL!!!
                      ||Mike Woo Racing!!||

Quote (selected)
                      : learn to drive before you start spending money and turning wrenches; it's the best investment you can make.

checkout my build thread

March 20, 2016, 10:13 PM #12

Vince Offline

Originally posted by bonspeed
                        hoping to come out more this season, last year I think I was only able to do 2 events cause of my work schedule.

excited to see the neon out too chris!
                        Same :(

However,I'll be in school from April till June, I'm unsure if I'll have the extra cash to race... Then, there's the factor that I sometimes work out of town...

I'm definitely going to the Gimli event though.

March 21, 2016, 10:45 AM #13

Coach Offline

• Vehicle: 1994 Toyota Corolla 20v 4AGE Silvertop
                          • Reputation Power: 17
                          • Coach has no influence.
                          Originally posted by Magner
                          What are your plans for the 2016 season?

I'll get the ball rolling....

bought a new Neon last summer to take the fight to the Civics & Corrolla in SMF class (Street Modified FWD), arguably the most entertaining and well represented class we have locally, I just had to jump it the fight myself!

1998 Dodge Neon RT originally from Colorado and very far from stock

Notables
                          2.4L engine swap with Hahn race-craft Stage II turbo Kit
                          Lots of supporting drive-train and suspension modifications

SMF Upgrades in progress
                          New transmission heavily modified incl. LSD
                          Double adjustable Koni's re-valved by Truechoice for 800lbs/600lbs springs
                          15x9 wheels with 225/45/15 BFG Rival (S) Tires (pending flares)
                          New steering rack with power steering cooler 
                          Megasquirt-II & tune
                          Stripped interior (to the limit of SMF rules)
                          Aero - (SMF Psychological warfare rendition in the works)
                          Miscellaneous reliability & supporting mods.

Currently at a dead-end however, while removing the control arms I broke the control arm mounts on the subframe trying to take out a seized bolt. Need to source a new subframe. Unfortunately it will not be ready for the start of the season.

VERY NICE !
                          Hopefully you don't miss to many events.  Can't wait to see it.
                          I can see where this is leading..........it's going to force me to do my engine upgrade (3SGTE - 2l Turbo)
                          This may be the push I need to get off the fence.
                          1994 Toyota Corolla 20v 4AGE Silvertop
                          1995 Nissan GT-R33 - sold

March 21, 2016, 10:48 AM #14

Coach Offline

Originally posted by Run Away
                            I'm out for the 2016 season as I'll be focusing on my truck build. But I may drop by an event or two with a different car...

Excited for the neon build!

2017 the civic will be back with more power and maybe some other goodies. :)

Nooooo, say it isn't so.  A different car ? what happened to the Civic ?

What kind of truck are you building ?

March 21, 2016, 07:21 PM #15

Nhil Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Honda S2000
                              • Reputation Power: 90
                              • Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!
                              2016 Number Reservation thread is now up on WSCC! Once you have your 2016 membership and MSR profile you can renew or claim a number.

http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/10426-2016-permanent-number-list/
                              [Mar 02 10:56:01] TwoFourDee:..ever
                              [Mar 02 10:55:59] TwoFourDee:nobody quote me on that
                              [Mar 02 10:55:56] TwoFourDee:I actually like those rotas

March 21, 2016, 09:12 PM #16

4U2Envy Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec.B
                                • Reputation Power: 10
                                • 4U2Envy has no influence.
                                Thanks for the heads up Nhil, just grabbed a number.
                                "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"

324WHP/313WTQ EvoIII 16G on 94Oct - Bren Tuning

March 21, 2016, 09:42 PM #17

bonspeed Offline

• Reputation Power: 20
                                  • bonspeed barely matters.bonspeed barely matters.
                                  Originally posted by Vince
                                  Same :(

However,I'll be in school from April till June, I'm unsure if I'll have the extra cash to race... Then, there's the factor that I sometimes work out of town...

I'm definitely going to the Gimli event though.

you still have july till september to race, even just do 1 event every month so it doesn't affect your budget that much ;)

Originally posted by Coach
                                  VERY NICE !
                                  Hopefully you don't miss to many events.  Can't wait to see it.
                                  I can see where this is leading..........it's going to force me to do my engine upgrade (3SGTE - 2l Turbo)
                                  This may be the push I need to get off the fence.

why not go 4AGZE instead? direct bolt-on to your chassis unlike the 3SGTE
                                  REV HARD... or DON'T REV AT ALL!!!
                                  ||Mike Woo Racing!!||

Quote (selected)
                                  : learn to drive before you start spending money and turning wrenches; it's the best investment you can make.

checkout my build thread

March 22, 2016, 07:32 AM #18

themikewoo Offline

Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                                    • Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                                    • Reputation Power: 193
                                    • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                                    Originally posted by Nhil
                                    2016 Number Reservation thread is now up on WSCC! Once you have your 2016 membership and MSR profile you can renew or claim a number.

http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/10426-2016-permanent-number-list/
                                    This. Don't know how much racing this year I'll get in but I will for sure reserve my number.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

March 22, 2016, 08:49 AM #19

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
                                      • Reputation Power: 82
                                      • Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
                                      Renewed me membership
                                      EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

March 22, 2016, 09:25 AM #20

ACiFiC Offline

• Vehicle: x2 Eunos
                                        • Reputation Power: 85
                                        • ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.

Originally posted by Matthew
                                        Renewed me membership
                                        Right on dude
                                        Originally posted by Winter Beater
                                        If a car is shows that a solid effort was made, and the car is reasonably well executed I can respect that. Even if it's not my cup of tea..

March 22, 2016, 10:17 AM #21

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
                                          • Reputation Power: 82
                                          • Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
                                          Originally posted by ACiFiC
                                          Right on dude

thanks dude, u2?
                                          EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

March 22, 2016, 10:19 PM #22

Run Away Offline

• Reputation Power: 22
                                            • Run Away barely matters.Run Away barely matters.
                                            Originally posted by Coach
                                            Nooooo, say it isn't so.  A different car ? what happened to the Civic ?

What kind of truck are you building ?

Civic just needs tires and a new exhaust, it's sitting for the summer. I'm using the funds to fix up a '69 Chevy this summer instead. If I make it out to race I'll bring my V6 swapped Sentra.
                                            -Ben

March 23, 2016, 09:31 AM #23

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                                              • Reputation Power: 42
                                              • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                                              Originally posted by Run Away
                                              Civic just needs tires and a new exhaust, it's sitting for the summer. I'm using the funds to fix up a '69 Chevy this summer instead. If I make it out to race I'll bring my V6 swapped Sentra.

Long awaited VQ Sentra!

Originally posted by bonspeed
                                              why not go 4AGZE instead? direct bolt-on to your chassis unlike the 3SGTE

I have talked with derrick about this. The 3sgte out of a caldina isn't a horrid swap, its fairly straight forward and been done many times. Had the corolla not sold, it would have that powertrain in it and have won a street mod title or two.
                                               The caldina 2.0L is 260hp out of the box. The 4agze is 150hp. The money and time needed to build the gze upto the same level, its simply not worth it imo.
                                              http://cars.mitula.ph/offer-detalle/1048/96635403719583765/2/1/3sgte/Adpost
                                              Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:35 AM by Joe
                                              D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                                              04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                                              Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                                              http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

March 23, 2016, 10:24 AM #24

Coach Offline

^
                                                My answer would have been HP..........lol

I also think in terms of durability the stock 3sgte is the way to go.  This would be a massive increase for one of the lightest cars at autocross.

If the Corolla didn't sell I think Joe would have still won a title or 2.

Top Tier Imports

2016 Autocross Thread
                                                  « Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 10:24 AM »