Author Topic: Carson's '99 stb  (Read 3054 times)

March 31, 2016, 07:33 PM #0

C.J974 Offline

• Vehicle: 1987 Porsche 924S, JDM 1999 Subaru Forester stb
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • C.J974 has no influence.
I won a 1999 Subaru Forester stb at auction last thursday (March 24) from Japan and figured I'd start my build thread now.

I did the auction process through William at Jdm connection.
The car has a grade 4 body, and a C grade interior.  From the auction sheet pictures the interior looks to be very clean though. As for the body, the sheet indicated some minor paint flaws (waves, fading or something to that extent, marked "w1" ) along the driver side doors, minor scratches on the rear and front bumper corners and 3 or 4 minor dents accross the rest of the car. It is a 5spd and only had an aftermarket muffler and alloy rims recorded for modifications, and has a mere 68,200km on it.

My plans for this car right now are minimal. I bought this car for a daily that I can use in both summer and winter that will be reliable and not cost too much when repairs are needed, because my Porsche meets none of these criteria.
What I want to do is get a nice set of summer wheels, a set of coils (low in summer, raised in the winter), and perhaps try my hand at dipping the car, right now I'm thinking just a basic white.
 I don't have a time line on the coils or dip, but the wheels are a must for this summer. I will be using the wheels that come with the car for winters.
I am still waiting for more photos to come but these are from the auction page.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

You can't ruin my life Reality, my safe space will keep you out! -Cartman

Top Tier Imports

Carson's '99 stb
    « on: March 31, 2016, 07:33 PM »

April 01, 2016, 07:50 AM #1

barrett Offline

• Vehicle: 1999 Subaru Forester S/TB
    • barrett has no influence.
    Nice car! I love mine. Only wish that mine came with the lip kit. Looks like it's in great shape (as most JDM cars going through the auction are). I'm assuming timing belt hasn't been done yet?
    93 Del Sol Si - B18C1, YS1 cable GSR trans, Work Stark II's, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Momo Millenium steering wheel
    1999 Subaru Forester S/TB - SRT4 ACR BBS rims, Pioneer P3200BT, stock everything else

April 01, 2016, 09:04 AM #2

AA_ron Offline

• Vehicle: 99 JDM Forester STB Type A 5MT
      • Reputation Power: 22
      • AA_ron barely matters.AA_ron barely matters.
      Everyone likes silver hey? Sweet car. Can't wait 'til it arrives!

April 01, 2016, 12:31 PM #3

C.J974 Offline

No, timing belt more than likely hasn't been touched and should theoretically last me at least till next winter.
        And I wasn't keen on the silver tbh. I was hoping for white or black, but I had been looking through the auctions for a while already and there were not a lot of white or black ones in suitable condition.

April 01, 2016, 12:45 PM #4

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
          • Reputation Power: 88
          • dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.
          One thing you might want to do often is clean the maf, idle air control solenoid, throttle body if you get any idle issues. I'm sure you can't wait till you get it. Nice pickup.
          Current Forester count: 0.5

April 01, 2016, 05:04 PM #5

C.J974 Offline

Originally posted by dano
            One thing you might want to do often is clean the maf, idle air control solenoid, throttle body if you get any idle issues. I'm sure you can't wait till you get it. Nice pickup.
            I plan to do a full clean up of the car when I get it home. Change all fluids, do a thorough interior scrub, is there anything other than what you've mentioned that would be a good thing to check/replace? Other than DOT approved lights, tires etc. Particularly before I leave Vancouver.  I'll be spending the day there at a freinds house so I'd have space and time to do some minor checks around the car.

And ya, I can't wait to get it. Been driving my parents '08 outback since I put my car away in october. Great car, but it's auto and so slow...

April 01, 2016, 11:08 PM #6

AA_ron Offline

Other than what's mentioned, I strongly suggest getting the best fuel you can get your hands on  :)

April 02, 2016, 05:10 AM #7

C.J974 Offline

Is 94 more common in Vancouver than it is here? Or is husky the only option out there too?

April 02, 2016, 07:09 AM #8

dano Offline

• dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.
                  Originally posted by C.J974
                  Is 94 more common in Vancouver than it is here? Or is husky the only option out there too?

94 is plentiful out West. You can do 94 all the way back here.

If you're going to do a lot of driving near 91 only, then you should put a full down pipe back exhaust and a tune from ECUlabs to the top of your list and talk to @Nemesis_sti on here.

April 06, 2016, 04:00 PM #9

C.J974 Offline

Got some more pictures of my car sent to me, seems to be very clean, inside and out.

April 06, 2016, 05:01 PM #10

Stoyka Offline

• Vehicle: 97' STI-R coupe/81 VW Pickup
                      • Reputation Power: 16
                      • Stoyka has no influence.
                      Looks super clean man, Im jelly! Congrats on the sick whip!
                      "I used to play COD on Xbox till I found out how many 12 year olds were fu**king my mom...and there were alot"

May 08, 2016, 09:44 AM #11

C.J974 Offline

Flew out to Vancouver on Friday morning to pick up the fozzy from Port. A freind picked us up from the airport and brought us to the port then we went to his garage to make sure everything was good to go.

After hanging out in Vancouver for a while we headed out.

I drove for most of the AMAZING Coquihalla highway through the BC Rockies. I rode passenger through the okanagan.

We arrived in Calgary at about 11:30 Friday night and stayed with family for night. In the morning we checked kijiji for rims and found something.

Set of brand new 18x7.5 rims with brand new tires. Nothing fancy, but far better than the 15x7 trash rims that came with the car.

I'd like to go up to about a 18x8.5 but for now this will do. I'm hoping to throw on some coils soon too.

After Calgary we hit the prairies.
                        Nothing worth a picture, just some fields, some cows and once in a while there is a slight curve.
                        Got home around 2am without incident.

Just need to get a safety and Im good to go.

May 08, 2016, 12:57 PM #12

AA_ron Offline

Looks sweet man!

May 08, 2016, 01:28 PM #13

Igor Online

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                            • Reputation Power: 221
                            • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                            Sick!!
                            2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                            2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

May 08, 2016, 04:25 PM #14

dano Offline

Glad to see you're happy. I think someone is selling a set of JDM Sti seats for about $400 and might be a good thing to get. I'm sure after the drive you see how crisply the stock seats are, lol.

Edit: I think the seats are on Facebook. Like Canada JDM marketplace or 204 Subaru marketplace

May 12, 2016, 05:42 PM #15

C.J974 Offline

Had a bit of a struggle getting the signals out, but after a while they popped out, and it was easy from there.

Now I have the headlights in, but the signals are proving to be a pain.

Jdm ones on the left, usdm on the right. I don't have wiring diagrams for the car, any help would be great. But I also noticed that on the back of the jdm signals, it says sae

It does not say that, or dot on the lens though. I have an amber turn signal on the quarter panel already, do I need the usdm reflector on the signal? Or can I just stick with the jdm signals, (I don't like the look of the reflector on the usdm ones, and they are more oxidized than my jdm ones)

I don't see anything saying I need the reflectors. Any thoughts?

May 12, 2016, 06:20 PM #16

dano Offline

You can use the JDM ones.

Go to princess auto and pick up some stick on reflectors and keep them in the glove box. I didn't need them, but might depend on the comfort level of the shop. Then just stick on if needed.

The difference is that the JDM ones have the parking lights in the headlight assembly and the usdm ones have a dual filament turn signal that has the parking lights in them.

May 12, 2016, 06:40 PM #17

C.J974 Offline

You can use the JDM ones.

Go to princess auto and pick up some stick on reflectors and keep them in the glove box. I didn't need them, but might depend on the comfort level of the shop. Then just stick on if needed.

The difference is that the JDM ones have the parking lights in the headlight assembly and the usdm ones have a dual filament turn signal that has the parking lights in them.
                                    If the parking lights are in the jdm headlights and I'm switching to the usdm (without parking lights) and I leave the jdm turn signals I then have no front parking lights? Or do I just leave the whole jdm headlight assembly in?

May 12, 2016, 07:45 PM #18

dano Offline

Originally posted by C.J974
                                      If the parking lights are in the jdm headlights and I'm switching to the usdm (without parking lights) and I leave the jdm turn signals I then have no front parking lights? Or do I just leave the whole jdm headlight assembly in?
                                      I think what I did was simply use the usdm socket, and then wire the parking lights to the usdm bulb, and simply notch the inside of the jdm housing to accept the usdm bulb.

If I recall correctly, one has 3 tabs and the other has 4.

May 12, 2016, 08:28 PM #19

C.J974 Offline

I think what I did was simply use the usdm socket, and then wire the parking lights to the usdm bulb, and simply notch the inside of the jdm housing to accept the usdm bulb.

If I recall correctly, one has 3 tabs and the other has 4.
                                        Jdm has 2 prongs usdm has 3.
                                        Is this the factory parking light? Because it looks cut in fairly rough.

These are the wires going to that light

And this is the jdm signal connector

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but what wires am I connecting to where? Will I just pull off the jdm connector, and bring the positive wire from the "parking light" to the third tab of the usdm bulb? Like, hard wire (solder) all the leads to the signals?

May 12, 2016, 09:28 PM #20

dano Offline

yeah, I think that's all I did. I think one is the power and the other is the ground (For the parking light). So I just used the power light and wired it to the third one on the usdm plug (which already had a ground), and just used a dremel so the tabs would fit through.

You should be able to deduce which is the ground on the bullb socket by just looking at it. The two powers should be on either side of the bulb (the two nibs) and I think the ground is on the bottom.

May 13, 2016, 03:39 PM #21

C.J974 Offline

Parking lights are good to go! Onto the next project, stereo.

Picked these up from Colin at Brian Reimer. The old speakers weren't holding up too well any more, so these should be much better.

Everything fits perfectly except for the new tweeters in the front. I'm writing on a way to make them fit without noticeable damage. Until then, I'll stick with the purple ADDZEST tweeters.
                                            Next step, coilovers!! ?...

May 14, 2016, 06:18 PM #22

C.J974 Offline

Did my first oil change on the fozzy today, and found this bad boy

I'll be changing that out this week after work sometime. But on the bright side, everything else is looking mint under neath, not really any oil Leaks, the plastic cover was dry. Less problems means more mods!

May 14, 2016, 07:23 PM #23

dano Offline

If you need some silicone hoses I have a pink set ;D

May 14, 2016, 08:37 PM #24

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                                                  • Reputation Power: 98
                                                  • Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!
                                                  How do the new speakers sound?
                                                  BAASSSSSSS
                                                  I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                                                  My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                                                  Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

Top Tier Imports

Carson's '99 stb
                                                    « Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 08:37 PM »