Author Topic: Carson's '99 stb  (Read 4355 times)

July 11, 2016, 09:40 PM #50

C.J974 Offline

• Vehicle: 1987 Porsche 924S, JDM 1999 Subaru Forester stb
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • C.J974 has no influence.
Or do you mean the lip hitting the street? Because I still have about 5" clearance on the front lip. A little less on the side skirt.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

You can't ruin my life Reality, my safe space will keep you out! -Cartman

Top Tier Imports

Carson's '99 stb
    « Reply #50 on: July 11, 2016, 09:40 PM »

July 11, 2016, 10:06 PM #51

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
    • Reputation Power: 94
    • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
    Originally posted by C.J974
    Or do you mean the lip hitting the street? Because I still have about 5" clearance on the front lip. A little less on the side skirt.

This. That some part is going to scrape the bottom. I had the h&r lowering springs on mine with the Koni yellows and it was too low for dailying. I cracked my side skirts and on my back lane which has a steep incline it was very close to the front lip. Looks good though :)
    Current Forester count: 1
    Owner, Next Level Escapes

July 12, 2016, 06:31 AM #52

AA_ron Offline

• Vehicle: 99 JDM Forester STB Type A 5MT
      • Reputation Power: 22
      • AA_ron barely matters.AA_ron barely matters.
      Originally posted by dano
      This. That some part is going to scrape the bottom. I had the h&r lowering springs on mine with the Koni yellows and it was too low for dailying. I cracked my side skirts and on my back lane which has a steep incline it was very close to the front lip. Looks good though :)

Yes but our Type A body kit is muuuch chunkier than the other body kits. :D

@C.J974 Foz is looking good! Keep it up!

July 12, 2016, 06:37 AM #53

C.J974 Offline

Originally posted by dano
        Seems to be fine, well see what happens when I have 4 passengers in it, but this seems to be a very manageable height. I may not even have to spin the coils up in the winter. If I had the type A lip, it might be a different story, I don't know how much lower it is, but it is lower by a bit.

October 31, 2016, 10:45 PM #54

C.J974 Offline

While digging around under my dash figuring out the (surprisingly well done) existing aftermarket sub wiring, I found this mysterious box that doesn't appear to be a factory item. Any ideas as to what it could be? I'm not in the mood for tracing wires.

And as I mentioned, I put subs into my foz on Saturday.
          The power, ground and rca cables were already in place, I just had to replace a small section of wire from the battery to the fuse, which turned out to be garbage and had to be replaced, (thanks @ctown8 for the help) but the rest of the wiring as I said, was done very well, labeled, stuck down, easy to get at.

Subs are dual focal 10" 25A4, amp is a single channel clarion, box is a chambered bassworx 13x30x16".
          The amp fits perfectly into the in floor compartment behind the back seat and looks really clean. The box fits snugly under the trunk cover.
           Next I'll need to wire up my heated seats, if anyone has, or knows somewhere I can get switches and wiring or at least connectors please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

November 01, 2016, 07:08 AM #55

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
            • Reputation Power: 94
            • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
            @ctown8 should have some for reference. You can get the switches off eBay.
            Current Forester count: 1
            Owner, Next Level Escapes

November 04, 2016, 12:49 PM #56

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
              • Reputation Power: 126
              • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
              I have the heated seat kit i plan on putting into the foz, if i get to it before you ill let you know how i do it. Ill send you some pics of the switch panel etc.
              BAASSSSSSS
              I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
              My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
              Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

March 25, 2017, 06:39 PM #57

C.J974 Offline

I had some money burning a hole in my pocket, after not doing anything to my foz over the winter. With it being too miserable to start on my much needed body work (Ice Racing is a little destructive) I figured I should throw money at my interior, my audio quality to be exact. My subs were very overpowering to anyone sitting in the rear seats, even at a moderate volume, so I got myself a bass knob. After I finished that, I may have started talking to @Ctown8 too much, because suddenly I decided I NEEDED sound deadening.

Started with the hatch, then the front doors and the rears doors. It's amazing the difference it makes. I noticed the biggest difference when I drove in on the perimeter going to RRC and back every day. I cant hear cars passing by any more, and my exhaust isn't as invasive as it was. You also notice it when opening and closing the doors, the foz doesn't sound like a tin can anymore. On top of all that, my stereo sounds noticeably better/cleaner. Also under Colins advice, I put in foam speaker cups to get a bit more bass out of my front speakers.

And finally, yesterday I picked up an amp for my speakers and installed it today. Took quite a while to get all the wires run and soldered, but it all went smoothly and I still managed not to break any clips!! I also finally took the time to solder my head unit connections together and take the marrettes off from when I first installed it almost a year ago lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124745423@N04/albums/72157678511611813

As far as I'm concerned my stereo is complete now, until I'm talked into upgrading everything. Next on the list is a new front bumper and lip, as well as side skirts (I had a rough winter). If anyone knows of someone or somewhere I could get a decent set, if you could let me know, that'd be awesome.  I'm having a hard time finding a set anywhere.

March 28, 2017, 10:15 AM #58

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                  Originally posted by C.J974
                  I had some money burning a hole in my pocket, after not doing anything to my foz over the winter. With it being too miserable to start on my much needed body work (Ice Racing is a little destructive) I figured I should throw money at my interior, my audio quality to be exact. My subs were very overpowering to anyone sitting in the rear seats, even at a moderate volume, so I got myself a bass knob. After I finished that, I may have started talking to @Ctown8 too much, because suddenly I decided I NEEDED sound deadening.

Started with the hatch, then the front doors and the rears doors. It's amazing the difference it makes. I noticed the biggest difference when I drove in on the perimeter going to RRC and back every day. I cant hear cars passing by any more, and my exhaust isn't as invasive as it was. You also notice it when opening and closing the doors, the foz doesn't sound like a tin can anymore. On top of all that, my stereo sounds noticeably better/cleaner. Also under Colins advice, I put in foam speaker cups to get a bit more bass out of my front speakers.

And finally, yesterday I picked up an amp for my speakers and installed it today. Took quite a while to get all the wires run and soldered, but it all went smoothly and I still managed not to break any clips!! I also finally took the time to solder my head unit connections together and take the marrettes off from when I first installed it almost a year ago lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124745423@N04/albums/72157678511611813

As far as I'm concerned my stereo is complete now, until I'm talked into upgrading everything. Next on the list is a new front bumper and lip, as well as side skirts (I had a rough winter). If anyone knows of someone or somewhere I could get a decent set, if you could let me know, that'd be awesome.  I'm having a hard time finding a set anywhere.
                  :)
                  BAASSSSSSS
                  I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                  My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

August 19, 2017, 11:10 PM #59

C.J974 Offline

I've neglected to post on here for a while, but then again not much has changed. this year has been kind of a wash as far as mods and maintenance are concerned due to being in college and not working during that time. However, upon starting to work again, I figured I would splurge "a bit". I was starting to realize my sub box was becoming more of a nuisance than I had originally thought it would be, so it was time to visit the Mage of Bass again @Ctown8 and discuss a solution. I was originally going to try and get 2 12s tucked into the side of the trunk with custom fiberglass enclosures,  then after space consideration and understanding how much work that would turn into I had to rethink. Colin then mentioned that he had a way of getting a bigger sub in if I wanted (sort of jokingly). After a bit of consideration I gave into the power of suggestion.
                    I had to start by upgrading my supply wiring, from a measly 10awg to a 4awg wire, same with the ground.
                    I then picked up a 5'x4' sheet of 3/4" mdf IN ONE PIECE, no problem for the ever practical foz
                    MDF by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

I started to get nervous that my new sub wouldn't fit, so I tried to mock fit it with some cardboard... it's gonna be a tight fit.
                    20170616_183503 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170616_183940 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

At the same time, I prepped the spare tire cavity to house my new sub. After pulling up all of the factory sound deadening, I noticed a pinch of rust forming around the drain plug that I figured should be addressed before being (maybe) permanently inaccessible. As I was getting the last bits of sound deadening out, I noticed that I had scarred the paint a bit with my screwdriver and putty knife I had been using to remove it. I figured it would only make sense to paint and prime the whole thing, just to be on the safe side:
                    20170701_094126 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170701_094126 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170630_155202 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170630_195353 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170630_200003 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170701_101008 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

After I finished painting it so nicely, I covered it, never to be seen again under a full covering of proper, fresh sound deadener
                    20170701_120924 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

Once I had all of that done I was able to pick up my new sub, a behemoth 16" Focal 40kx
                    20170629_164715 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170710_143337 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170628_151010 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170702_185136 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

And now it was time to ask for some help from the bass mage again, and begin to build the box. I should point out, the not so straight cuts were my fault, call it proof that I had a part in building it too lol.
                    20170720_210217 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170720_220424 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170726_214919 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170720_234013 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

I didn't have a proper bolt to hold the box in place via the spare wheel mount so we had to use the factory wheel bolt thing, but the sub couldn't clear it, so I had to rock it reverse mounted. Really though, it should be mounted like this, showing off the glorious flower power red earth magnets and polished cap. Just look at it  :zlide:
                    20170721_002926 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170723_144350 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170723_144345 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr
                    I believe we were up to 1:30 am that thursday night/friday morning so we could finally hear it, even though we both had to work friday.  :> :> :> :> So excuse the wiring and semi sketchy amp mounting. Speaking of which, I got a play station 2 to power my sub, and a new bass knob
                    20170720_191034 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170721_175447 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170721_190929 - Copy - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

At this point you may notice "some" similarities between this and another install... yes, it's basically the same as @Ctown8 , but bigger and therefore better  :banana: but there is no other practical way to place this sub in this trunk.
                    Now that the important part was done, it was time to make everything look nice. I started with the easy part, wrapping the centre piece in black suede
                    20170801_172708 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170801_175756 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170801_180614 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr
                    Then moved on to the side pieces. I had to peel up the factory carpet, that was getting pretty rough with loose fuzz and stains
                    20170801_181844 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170801_184531 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170801_201011 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170801_202709 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170801_202908 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr
                    While I was waiting for the glue to dry I also took out the old sound deadener and replaced it with new stuff again.

The next task was to flush the amp into the floor with a new amp rack that I then also wrapped in black suede
                    20170813_000530 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr
                    and finally, build a ring to cover the bolts holding the sub in place
                    20170812_212843 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170812_215726 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr
                    The clarion speaker amp isn't much to look at, and doesn't match anything, so I attached it underneath the top of the sub box
                    20170812_191435 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

The last order of business was to bump up my battery cables. With adding an extra 1000W of power consumption over factory spec, I should give the alternator a bit of a break with a 4awg wire in parallel with the 2 factory (10awg?) and do the same with the system ground cable. I also noticed that many of the connections were a little dirty, and that my ground terminal clam was ready to fall apart.
                    20170813_080614 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170813_094730 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170813_150447 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170813_150455 by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr
                    this is how my car was grounded, I cleaned it up nice and exposed some metal, which is always good for continuity...
                    20170813_080949 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

And just to regain a little bit of showyness after flipping my sub back normally, I put some LEDs under the cone. 
                    20170819_110411 - Copy by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr 20170819_112746 by Carson Pankratz, on Flickr

Big thank you to @Ctown8 at Brian Reimer Audio for making it possible.

Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:47 PM by C.J974

August 21, 2017, 04:40 PM #60

Ctown8 Offline

Sick set up brother! seems so oddly familiar.. except not as clean :lol: Thanks for the mentions!
                      BAASSSSSSS

October 24, 2017, 08:26 AM #61

dernchuk Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Subaru Forester
                        • Reputation Power: 1
                        • dernchuk has no influence.
                        Hey man, if your still looking for some factory heated seat switches, I have a spare set kicking around! One lights up intermittently and the other doesn't at all, but they still work. I know i'm late to the party but let me know if your interested!

Top Tier Imports

Carson's '99 stb
                          « Reply #61 on: October 24, 2017, 08:26 AM »