Author Topic: Applying Critical Controls to the Modern Automobile - Whitepaper  (Read 240 times)

April 05, 2016, 03:10 PM #0

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
Comprehensive read for those interested.

https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/critical/automotive-top-5-applying-critical-controls-modern-automobile-36862

Abstract:

The  car  of  today  is  an  inherently  vulnerable  platform.  At  its  core  is  a  computing
architecture from the 1980s which was designed to be lightweight and efficient, with very
little   thought   given   to   security.   As   the   modern   automobile   becomes   increasingly
connected, its attack surface only continues to grow. In the wake of several recent high-
profile  car  hacking  demonstrations,  automakers  face  the  daunting  task  of  trying  to  lock
down  this  insecure  platform  with  bolt-on  security  fixes.  This  paper  proposes  a  plausible
strategy  for  securing  modern  automotive  systems  which  takes  into  account  some  of  the
key  limitations  of  the  automobile  industry,  in  addition  to  presenting  a  methodology  for
applying the Critical Controls to the modern automobile platform.

Also related:

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35642749
@dano

Interesting things to think about when purchasing newer vehicles.
EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

Top Tier Imports

April 06, 2016, 10:40 AM #1

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
    • Reputation Power: 94
    • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
    Hey @Matthew,

It is totally an interesting topic, especially with more vehicles coming standard with auto-braking / steering / autopilot functions in addition to drive-by-wire, coupled with cellular / internet connectivity.

I definitely keep my eye out for this kind of thing - it really awakens my curiosity.

There is definitely a need for security, even basic security. Some of the transmissions from / to cars / datacenters were in plain text, and easy to decipher. They need to make it so that script kiddies / bad people can't just open a program and possibly cause cars to lose control.

On another level, what happens when cars are being marketed as "connected", but then in such case like the Leaf, where the system was never really kept up-to-date, and then taken offline indefinitely to fix the problem? Or what might happen if a company like Tesla, whose ability to push updates wirelessly is lauded, might need to be shut down?

Or perhaps in the not-too-distant future where a lot of cars are driving autonomously and might need to communicate with each other to take advantage of being close together for aerodynamics, or efficiently changing lanes, etc. What if their communications system needed to be shut down because of vulnerability.

I think not only should consumers factor that in to their decision, but also manufacturers have to weigh their liability to ensure their vehicles are controlled by whom needs to control them, and that the product they deliver is what was marketed.

Connected car control security hasn't been a huge topic, and I think it will greatly increase in the next couple of years.
    Current Forester count: 1
    Owner, Next Level Escapes

Top Tier Imports

Applying Critical Controls to the Modern Automobile - Whitepaper
      « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:40 AM »