Author Topic: Sticky throwout bearing?  (Read 398 times)

April 15, 2016, 08:15 AM #0

Stoyka Offline

• Vehicle: 97' STI-R coupe/81 VW Pickup
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Stoyka has no influence.
Ive been having problems with my clutch for a long while now and didnt bother to do anything about it cause I wasnt driving my car much anyways. But once my car heats up from driving around a while, when releasing the clutch, the pedal will come back as far as the pressure plate pushes the bearing back. Once the clutch engages the pedal gets stuck at that spot and wont come all the way back up.

Im suspecting that the throw out bearing is getting stuck or binding on the input shaft of tranny? When I did my motor build I used the tiniest little bit of grease on the shaft to try to prevent binding. But I guess after 2 years the grease could be gone?

I also think Im having some sort of issue with heat soak on the master cylinder? I dont have a heat shield on the car at the moment, and I haven't had one for about the same amount of time as my clutch acting up. Anyway I think that the master cylinder being 6" above the turbo, probably gets a lot of heat. Is it possible that the intense heat from the turbo is causing my clutch fluid to expand, changing my engagement? Cause once again when the car is hot, on top of my clutch pedal sticking...occasionally it changes from engaging about half way from releasing the pedal, to engaging within the first inch or two of pedal!

Im hoping that once my turbo blanket shows up the latter or the two problems goes away. Has anyone heard of heat soak issues like that? Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,
Brendin
"I used to play COD on Xbox till I found out how many 12 year olds were fu**king my mom...and there were alot"

Top Tier Imports

Sticky throwout bearing?
    « on: April 15, 2016, 08:15 AM »

April 15, 2016, 12:48 PM #1

Cherka Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Acura Integra GS-R
    • Reputation Power: 46
    • Cherka might someday be someone...Cherka might someday be someone...Cherka might someday be someone...Cherka might someday be someone...
    I agree with your turbo heating the fluid theory. I did some reading and people that experienced your issues when the vehicle warmed up was resolved by replacing their clutch fluid for something a little more performance based.

What kinda fluid do you currently have in there, and when did you last change it?

I assume turbo heat is forsure a piece of the problem.

April 15, 2016, 01:55 PM #2

j.onathan Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Sierra CCSB, '89 240sx 7mgte swapped
      • Reputation Power: 31
      • j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.
      I agree with the overheating of clutch fluid.  On my ATV I would totally lose my clutch after about an hour of riding, let the bike cool down for 15-20 and it would be back.  I changed the fluid to synthetic ATF (safe for my setup) which helped a bit, but it would still go mushy on me, rerouted the clutch line away from the engine & exhaust and haven't had a problem since. 

Fluids do weird things when they are out of their recommended operating parameters.

April 19, 2016, 09:40 AM #3

Stoyka Offline

• Vehicle: 97' STI-R coupe/81 VW Pickup
        • Reputation Power: 16
        • Stoyka has no influence.
        Originally posted by Cherka
        I agree with your turbo heating the fluid theory. I did some reading and people that experienced your issues when the vehicle warmed up was resolved by replacing their clutch fluid for something a little more performance based.

What kinda fluid do you currently have in there, and when did you last change it?

I assume turbo heat is forsure a piece of the problem.

I flushed it with brand new DOT3 from Toyota (my work) which advertises "super heavy duty high temp" and then bled every damn air bubble out of it!

My turbo blanket came in the mail yesterday so this weekend once I fix my axle seal that decided to leak again, ill install it and see if it makes any difference. I have a feeling this will solve the issue as it didnt do it when the factory head shield was on.

I also figured out the sticking pedal issue, turns out the return spring that goes from the clutch fork to the bracket on the bellhousing was missing. It must have broke or fell off somehow, Ill have a new one of those today luckily.

Thanks for the help guys
        "I used to play COD on Xbox till I found out how many 12 year olds were fu**king my mom...and there were alot"

Top Tier Imports

Sticky throwout bearing?
          « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:40 AM »