Author Topic: "The Voyotawagon" VW/Toyota hybrid  (Read 1482 times)

May 07, 2016, 04:40 PM #0

Stoyka Offline

• Vehicle: 97' STI-R coupe/81 VW Pickup
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Stoyka has no influence.
This is the beginning of a long and labour intensive journey that I am undertaking; to combine a classic 4x4 chassis with a unique German body! I am going to swap my Rabbit pickup body onto this beauty of a truck I saved from becoming a bush-mobile! For maximum VW, 4x4 goodness! :D

Youre looking at a 1982 Toyota Pickup, 22R motor, 4 speed transmission w/4x4. Solid axle front end!

- just truck

- toyota/vw

- cab

Its actually a really clean cab, dirty but not rotten anyways. But the interior is incomplete and a rats nest of wiring so its all gotta go! Stay tuned for a minty cab for sale if anyone needs one! The whole thing is painted in like rocker guard or something though :S

- engine

Engine is minty too! Its the 22R, has about 220,00kms on it or so; does need a bit of TLC but runs really smooth! Ill be using this engine in the beginning to get around while I save for V8 goodies ;D

- rear end

Rear end has all new seals, newish shocks as well.

- front end

Same deal in the front end, new seals, shocks, i think draglink and a few other pieces under there.

- transfer case

The truck used to have a 5 speed in it but it was shredded so the previous owner swapped in a 4speed with this transfer case! It all shifts beautifully

-trans/diff

- tires

Tires are like brand new! Tons of life left on them so im super happy about that, I actually really like those old rims too!

Overall super happy with my donor truck, its going to be a tough build but itll be worth it all in the end i have no doubt!

My current list of known things to tackle:

1) The wheel base on the VW is 104", the wheel base on the toyota is 110" from hub center to hub center. So obviously thats 6" too long, and with the VW already having small fenders, it would look dumb. I im likely gonna have to shorten the frame 6" as well as the driveshaft. Im not too concerned about this as i already have to do a bit of welding on the frame where the previous owner tried to repair rust. The driveshaft isnt too bad of an expense either, a few hundred bucks at most.

2) *Edited* The unibody on the VW isnt completely as flat as i thought it was, and there is a reduction in box depth that should be sufficient to clear the rear frame arches of the Toyota. Before further inspection this looked like it would be an issue but doesnt seem to be anymore.

3) *Edited* Turns out my coolant leak was a head gasket issue pushing coolant out of my reservoir tank!

4) Wiring: Luckily for me both trucks are quite old and neither had any bells or whistles. The diesel currently in the VW is a true 1 wire diesel so theres no wiring issues there. As far as interior goes, theres about a dozen wires that ill have to provide power to and its done!

5) Steering: Currently unsure of what the angle or length of the steering column will need to be. But I forsee it being a slight pain in the butt and will update on that later on.

6) Tunnel and mounts: With the VW being FWD it has virtually no transmission tunnel, just a tiny exhaust one. So once i figure out the situation with having to raise the front end or not, I will have to cut out the firewall of the VW and make myself a tunnel to fit the transmission and properly place the shifters.

PS. I mentioned V8 goodies, its common for people to swap small block chevy or ford engines into toyota pickups. Adapter kits are about $1000CDN after shipping and exchange and SBCs can be had out of lots of cars for relatively cheap. Thats next years project.

Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:42 AM by Stoyka
"I used to play COD on Xbox till I found out how many 12 year olds were fu**king my mom...and there were alot"

Top Tier Imports

"The Voyotawagon" VW/Toyota hybrid
    « on: May 07, 2016, 04:40 PM »

May 09, 2016, 10:48 AM #1

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
    • Reputation Power: 98
    • Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!
    Did I see this thing at mb imports on Satruday with a flatbed?
    BAASSSSSSS
    I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
    My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
    Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

May 11, 2016, 10:55 PM #2

TeamSX4 Offline

• Vehicle: Suzuki SX4 AWD, mk3 Supra, H22 EK Hatch
      • Reputation Power: 14
      • TeamSX4 has no influence.
      Super stoked about this build! Something I've been dreaming of since I was a kid. Keep the updates coming.
      Check out more MT Garage projects here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhOCbO0kLDuVIAILbYdIQg

May 12, 2016, 06:56 AM #3

benz88 Online

• Reputation Power: 57
        • benz88 is on the verge of being accepted.benz88 is on the verge of being accepted.benz88 is on the verge of being accepted.benz88 is on the verge of being accepted.benz88 is on the verge of being accepted.
        I'd kick up the bed floor or a section of it in the VW and leave the rear arches. It will give you good ground clearance and clearance for fuel tanks and such. 
        '91 240sx Hatch
        '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
        '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
        '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
        '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

May 13, 2016, 05:16 PM #4

Stoyka Offline

Originally posted by benz88
          I'd kick up the bed floor or a section of it in the VW and leave the rear arches. It will give you good ground clearance and clearance for fuel tanks and such. 

Id like to keep the VW body as unmolested as possible, I have a few ideas on how to level the body out...ill get to that later on!

For point 3, turns out it wasnt a water pump issue and is a bit worse. We noticed that the coolant leak was from the coolant overflow tank, and after a water bottle test it seems the head gasket is gone on the engine! D: Not a big deal, just a pain in the ass is all. Convenient time to do a complete top to bottom rebuild on it though, especially once the body is off of it! Should be a walk in the park!
          "I used to play COD on Xbox till I found out how many 12 year olds were fu**king my mom...and there were alot"

May 13, 2016, 05:25 PM #5

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
            • Reputation Power: 42
            • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
            Doesn't hurt that parts are cheap an abundant for that workhorse of a motor.
            I'd get a list together and do a rockauto order.
            Looking forward to watching this build progress!
            D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
            04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
            Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
            http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

May 17, 2016, 09:09 AM #6

Stoyka Offline

Originally posted by Joe
              Doesn't hurt that parts are cheap an abundant for that workhorse of a motor.
              I'd get a list together and do a rockauto order.
              Looking forward to watching this build progress!

I actually couldnt find a complete gasket kit on rock auto with a MLS head gasket, I dont want to reuse the old style one. Its convenient that I work at Toyota though! ;D

Found out some good news yesterday! Lifted the VW up to fix an exhaust rattle and took a better look at the under side of the body...Turns out the pickup bed on the VW is higher than the cab floor too! And by more than enough to fit on the Toyota chassis without having to have any more of a body lift :D

Appears to be about 9-12", I didnt have a tape measure handy at the time

That solves problem #2!

May 18, 2016, 11:37 PM #7

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                • Reputation Power: 42
                • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                Which dealer do you work at and what do you do?
                It's awesome when a plan falls together isn't it.  I've had luck like that with my build.
                D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

May 19, 2016, 10:48 AM #8

Stoyka Offline

Originally posted by Joe
                  Which dealer do you work at and what do you do?
                  It's awesome when a plan falls together isn't it.  I've had luck like that with my build.

I work at McPhillips Toyota in the parts department.

And yeah so far this is starting to look easier than I originally thought! Still gonna be lots of work though, i hope to get under way on it first weekend of june. Thats when the engine gasket kit and timing kit i ordered should be arriving!

June 07, 2016, 12:42 PM #9

Stoyka Offline

So i tore the engine down to the short block! Im terrible and always forget to take pictures but i did get a couple.

Did a compression test before tearing it all down. (1)150 (2)155 (3)165 (4)155. They're within 10% of each other so that's a relief!

However it definitely looks like this was the culprit, no other spot on the gasket appears to be damaged/leaking.

I think im gonna take the rest of the engine right out, only a handful of bolts are still holding it in. That way i can clean the block up really well, paint it maybe and then put it back together fully assembled. More pics to follow if i remember ;D

June 20, 2016, 01:01 PM #10

Stoyka Offline

Engine Update:

Pulled the engine out of the truck, I had to do the oil pan gasket and it was just easier with it out!

As per usual i suck with pictures but I basically just cleaned and inspected the bottom end and then threw a coat of paint on it! Wrinkle red! :D

And then once it was cured, put the motor back in the truck and assembled the timing compenents, cylinder head, and exhaust manifold!

Once i get home tonight, I have to install the PS pump, alternator, intake manifold, VC and fuel pump! Should hopefully have it running again tonight!

June 21, 2016, 09:25 AM #11

Stoyka Offline

Engines mostly back together! Didnt get as much time as i wanted to work on it yesterday but soon ill have it going lol

June 24, 2016, 11:22 AM #12

Stoyka Offline

Welp got the engine sort of running last night, except for some reason it has a sticking valve.

On the first start up/cranking of the engine it was all good. But after about 15-20 revolutions (had to build fuel pressure, manual pump) the engine made a loud "pang" kinda noise like a spring snapping up. Instantly figured it was a stuck valve, and after removed the valve cover and spinning the engine with a bar slowly...my #4 valve is stuck open after the intake stroke. It wont come back up unless the piston contacts it and pushes it back up.

So ill have to remove the head again, and I have a new valve and guide on order from work.

****ty because I specifically lubed the hell out of the valve train so that it wouldnt be dry on first start up.

Sorta hard to see but the intake lobe is now just passed the intake stroke, and the rocker arm is loose because the valve is stuck in the open position.

October 23, 2016, 09:31 PM #13

Stoyka Offline

UPDATE:

Alots been done since I've last updated!

I managed to find a buyer for my Toyota cab, which is great cause it was in too nice of shape to go to scrap!

Then I started on the VW! Got the engine out in no time!

And then I stripped the whole rest of the body, interior and everything!

Then i pulled the 22R out of the chassis to make it easier to get the body on. I will have to cut the firewall out to fit the transmission in. (In later pictures)

And after some creative thinking, and as always help from the guys we managed to lift the VW body onto the toyota chassis!

It looks friggin badass! Except this is where the hard part comes in. Im going to have to do some serious cutting of the body and shortening of the frame!

The rear wheel is off by quite a bit hahaha

Annnd the back end

Im going to have to chop the old part of the frame where the LCA was bolted to, it serves no further purpose and is in the way of the Toyota's shock towers! Where you see the orange paint is roughly where its going to be cut.

And then in the engine bay side, everything in white is going to be cut out to make room for the motor/tranny and body mounts.

Im also going to remove the old McPherson strut towers from the engine bay as i wont need them anyways!

So thats where Im at as of today! I try and spend an hour a night if i can to keep things from getting stalled!

October 23, 2016, 10:52 PM #14

Igor Online

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                              • Reputation Power: 221
                              • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                              Sweet update. Can't wait to see more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                              2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

October 24, 2016, 09:16 AM #15

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                                • Reputation Power: 353
                                • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                                Lmao didn't even realize you were doing this, so badass

December 09, 2016, 11:03 AM #16

Stoyka Offline

UPDATE:

Well its been a month and a half since my last update, and Ive made a fair amount of headway on the truck. But Ive stalled out in the last couple weeks cause Ive gotten busy with college.

Anyways Ive managed to get the truck positioned on the frame more or less where its going to stay relative to the front end. I still have to cut the frame but Ive had a difficult time figuring out how to do that accurately.

The way the VW engine bay sits over the motor...well it doesn't actually, so i had to cut the **** out of the body to make the motor+bell housing, and the transmission fit under the front of the truck. I could have lifted the body a bit higher to reduce the amount I have to cut, but I don't feel like having a 6" body lift because that's dumb.

So first things first, I had to remove a small piece of the firewall to get the body to sit in the right spot longitudinally compared to the frame.

But this was before I had to lower the body another 3 inches to make it sit where I want it. So I had to cut up another 3 inches from there, and because I have to remove the section of the firewall that fits the VW pedals anyways...I just cut the whole strip out across the top.

Annnd then I had to lower it to where itll stay, and that created a big issue with the transmission hitting the tunnel on the VW...so she had to go!

So thats where I'm at right now with it. Its sitting about 4" from the frame which isnt too bad, I was hoping maybe to squeeze another inch lower but I dont know how much more cutting I want to do haha. Although Ive already come this far so who knows. Still lots and lots of work to do.

Got downforce?

December 09, 2016, 11:14 AM #17

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!
                                    If you cut much more there wont be anything left! Looking good though
                                    BAASSSSSSS
                                    I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                                    My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

December 10, 2016, 10:09 AM #18

Time Lord Offline

• Vehicle: Audi
                                      • Reputation Power: 19
                                      • Time Lord has no influence.
                                      A safety and registration will be a challenge.

December 10, 2016, 11:18 AM #19

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by Time Lord
                                        A safety and registration will be a challenge.
                                        Can you say "body integrity" lol
                                        BAASSSSSSS

December 10, 2016, 04:58 PM #20

Stoyka Offline

It's going to be "off road only!" ;)

Top Tier Imports

"The Voyotawagon" VW/Toyota hybrid
                                            « Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 04:58 PM »