Author Topic: Mismatched Load rating a problem?  (Read 410 times)

May 09, 2016, 04:37 PM #0

Si[xXx]er Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Si[xXx]er has no influence.
I purchased a new set of Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires last year and got the standard version (225/40/ZR18 88Y) and needed to replace one due to some damage that couldn't be fixed. I just picked up my new tire mounted and balanced and when I got it home I noticed the shop sold me the extra load version (225/40/ZR18 92Y). Will this difference cause any issues in terms of ride and handling? Or should I be taking the tire back and demanding to get an exact match to what I have on the car.

Any input is appreciated.

Top Tier Imports

Mismatched Load rating a problem?
    « on: May 09, 2016, 04:37 PM »

May 09, 2016, 06:46 PM #1

sunshine Offline

• Reputation Power: 16
    • sunshine has no influence.
    I would get the matching tire instead but maybe someone else will know if it makes any difference.

May 10, 2016, 11:51 AM #2

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
      • Reputation Power: 80
      • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
      88y is load rating at 1235lbs
      92y is load rated at 1389lbs
      speed rating is the same obviously  @ up to 186mph

now it all depends what you do with the car, but if they put the heavier ones on it overall wont make much difference, the construction of the new ones is slightly stronger, which does make the tire slightly stiffer.
      could affect handling a bit  on track, day to day driving would be near impossible to tell.
      [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
      95 GTR- SOLD
      03 RSX-S - SOLD
      08 G6- wrekt
      10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

Top Tier Imports

Mismatched Load rating a problem?
        « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51 AM »