Author Topic: G35 Questions - Snapped E-brake, Rough Idle  (Read 742 times)

May 09, 2016, 10:40 PM #0

thomasmarzec Offline

• Vehicle: '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • thomasmarzec has no influence.
Hello everyone, just had a couple of questions regarding a manual 2004 G35 coupe.

1) I took the car to my mechanic so he could tell me what the left it would need for safety. Turns out the e-brake is snapped, he said there's a link or cable for the left side of the car, and the right side. The left side cable is broken. Does anyone know what that cable/part is called? Is it the same as one from a 2004 G35 automatic (asking because they only have auto ones at the wrecker). He thought the e-brake needed to be tightened but like I mentioned, the left side link/cable is damaged somehow.

2) The car will sometimes stall, UNLESS I give it gas - The RPMs will drop but go back up. From what I've been reading these could be the problem:
- The intake (Nismo) seems to be from a 350z - fits comfortably and it tight but doesn't clamp on to anything (can provide pics)
- The throttle body might be dirty or needs to be replaced
- MAF (mass air flow sensor) - this could be dirty or need to be replaced as well
- Camshaft sensors - read that this could be it online

If anyone has any advice, or help with these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:03 PM by thomasmarzec

Top Tier Imports

G35 Questions - Snapped E-brake, Rough Idle
    « on: May 09, 2016, 10:40 PM »

May 09, 2016, 11:01 PM #1

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
    • Reputation Power: 194
    • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

May 10, 2016, 01:03 PM #2

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
    • Reputation Power: 95
    • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
    I'd do the easy stuff first for the rough idle.

Make sure the intake is tight and there are no leaks, clean the MAF and throttle body. These cars will idle poorly and stall if there is an air leak after the MAF. The two piece plenum on the VQ35DE can leak too sometimes, this would cause the same symptoms. Remove the top half, clean and install new gasket would be something else inexpensive to try.

Camshaft sensor would likely throw a code if it were the issue.

May 10, 2016, 03:24 PM #3

thomasmarzec Offline

@Winter Beater The intake looks fine, it's just the clamp I'm worried about. I also think you're right about the engine code regarding the camshaft sensor - there is no check engine light right now. I'm kind of scared to clean my MAF or throttle body, my neighbour did that in his '05 Accord Coupe, then had an even worse idle and ended up ordering a new throttle body. I guess I might find a good thread on cleaning the TB and MAF. Thank you.

May 13, 2016, 09:40 PM #4

CFMP RAblue Offline

• Vehicle: 09 Mits Ralliart Octane blue
        • Reputation Power: 58
        • CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.
        Call partsource or piston ring or an infinity dealer and they will give you the part number. You can also call Canadian tire.
        "Go Fast, Stop Fast"
        Extreme Stop Slotted/Drilled Rotors
        KVR Performance Slotted Rotors
        Magnaflow CBE

May 15, 2016, 10:24 PM #5

thomasmarzec Offline

@CFMP RAblue Yeah you're right, but if it's one of three options - I wanna properly diagnose the problem before I buy any parts.

May 15, 2016, 10:29 PM #6

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
            • Reputation Power: 19
            • cluelessk has no influence.

Originally posted by thomasmarzec
            @Winter Beater The intake looks fine, it's just the clamp I'm worried about. I also think you're right about the engine code regarding the camshaft sensor - there is no check engine light right now. I'm kind of scared to clean my MAF or throttle body, my neighbour did that in his '05 Accord Coupe, then had an even worse idle and ended up ordering a new throttle body. I guess I might find a good thread on cleaning the TB and MAF. Thank you.

I know turning the throttle body manually can ruin it on some cars.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

May 19, 2016, 08:48 PM #7

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
              • Reputation Power: 95
              • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
              Originally posted by thomasmarzec

I might have a spare throttle body lying around if you need one, I'd have to look.... PM me if you end up needing one. I'm 99% sure I don't have a MAF.

Top Tier Imports

G35 Questions - Snapped E-brake, Rough Idle
                « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 08:48 PM »