Author Topic: Fight every ticket, and you won't believe the reason why [/clickbait]  (Read 1376 times)

May 25, 2016, 08:16 AM #0

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
From this morning's WPG Sun:

For the second time in a week, a Manitoba judge has tossed out a speeding ticket due to unreasonable delay in bringing the matter to trial, casting further doubt on the viability of untold numbers of similarly dated tickets.

Justin Segodnia had his speeding ticket stayed Tuesday after Judge Cynthia Devine ruled a 19-month delay between the day he was ticketed and the date his matter was set down for trial violated his Charter right to a speedy trial.

"The delay is more than twice as long as one would expect for a simple speeding offence," Devine said.

Segodnia was ticketed Oct. 18, 2014 at 8:23 a.m. after a police officer with a radar gun allegedly caught him driving 75 km/h in a 60 km/h zone over the Disraeli Freeway.

Court heard Segodnia was ready to proceed to trial Dec. 17, 2014, the date he entered his not guilty plea, but was given a trial date of May 24, 2016. He filed a delay motion seeking to quash the ticket in March.

"Although Mr. Segodnia took notes of the event, he did not take verbatim notes," Devine said. "He reasonably fears his memory may have faded over the intervening 19 months ... It is in society's interest to have these matters speedily decided."

The decision comes less than one week after Judge Mary Kate Harvie stayed a ticket for another motorist, Genevieve Grant, over an 18-month delay in bringing her case to trial.

"Although the Crown argued, as it did in the Grant case, that an increase in the number of matters being set down for trial and a scarcity of resources are at play (in the Segodnia case), there was little or no specific evidence to support these generalities," Devine said.

"Highway traffic matters lingering in the courts gathering dust are in no one's interest. Public confidence in the prompt and fair administration of justice requires a stay of proceedings in this case."

While a new pilot project has had some success in reducing the court backlog of such cases, it "comes too late for Mr. Segodnia," Devine said.

"The existence of the program, while laudable, cannot preclude Mr. Segodnia's Charter rights," Devine said.

The Grant decision involved a photo radar ticket while the Segodnia decision involved a ticket issued by a police officer.

The Segodnia decision "sets out that police tickets also pushing two years are unreasonable," said Todd Dube of watchdog group WiseUp Winnipeg. "It's an important decision."

Devine delivered her decision at 9 a.m., Tuesday, just one hour before Segodnia was set to stand trial.

"He's quite happy the decision went the way it did," said his lawyer Inderjit Singh. "Obviously, he would have liked to have dealt with it quicker."

The Crown has not indicated whether it will be appealing either decision.

"Since the decisions came so close together, they might decide to appeal both," Singh said.

CUTTING BACKLOG 'PRIORITY': JUSTICE MIN

Justice Minister Heather Stefanson told Postmedia last week she has met with departmental officials and has been told measures have been taken to reduce the backlog of traffic cases.

"It is a priority," she said. "I have been assured that there have been various steps that have been taken to reduce those backlogs thus far, but obviously there's still more work to be done. I'm concerned and I want to ensure that we do take care of this situation."

Rodney Bolianaz, a retired Winnipeg police traffic officer who now runs radarrodney.com, said the Crown could still appeal the the Harvie decision, and those who have matters before the courts who think they'll now be tossed should pump their brakes.

"The Crown has the opportunity to appeal that decision. It's not like all of a sudden everyone's getting off because of this decision," he said.

"All eyes are now on the Crown attorney's office to see what they're going to do with this."

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/05/24/not-so-swift-justice
'93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
'99 MB E55t AMG - DD
'04 Lexus GX470

Top Tier Imports

May 25, 2016, 03:08 PM #1

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
    • Reputation Power: 71
    • #StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.
    Interesting read.

May 25, 2016, 06:16 PM #2

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
      • Reputation Power: 19
      • cluelessk has no influence.
      If you can take the time off work it's almost always worth fighting.

One of mine have been reduced to the point it made it worth missing work and another thrown out completely. Both had 12 month wait times.

Flood the system.
      [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

May 25, 2016, 08:38 PM #3

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
        • Reputation Power: 190
        • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by cluelessk
        If you can take the time off work it's almost always worth fighting.

One of mine have been reduced to the point it made it worth missing work and another thrown out completely. Both had 12 month wait times.

Flood the system.
        Two tickets? What happened man?

May 25, 2016, 08:40 PM #4

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
          • Reputation Power: 19
          • cluelessk has no influence.
          Originally posted by themikewoo
          Two tickets? What happened man?
          Two different incidents. One speeding and one in a bus lane while lost.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

May 25, 2016, 09:43 PM #5

Shier Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 STI -- RIP 2011 Genesis Coupe
            • Reputation Power: 53
            • Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.
            maybe I'll have some luck with mine then, seeing as how I'll of been waiting over 2 years
            It will never have enough power until I can spin all four wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear.

May 25, 2016, 09:51 PM #6

#StreetFocus Offline

• #StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.
              over 2 years? **** yeah by the sounds of this you'll be golden lol

May 27, 2016, 06:03 PM #7

Ænimal Offline

• Vehicle: Miater, so many bikes
                • Reputation Power: 76
                • Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.
                Or, you know, you could learn to drive in a manner that doesn't get you tickets and avoid overburdening a tax-payer funded court system with petty disputes...

??? ??? ???
                Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 06:05 PM by Ænimal
                [Aug 01 15:48:26] dolan:Guys i really dont care, im still young enough to learn from all my mistakes.

May 28, 2016, 10:28 AM #8

ACiFiC Offline

• Vehicle: x2 Eunos
                  • Reputation Power: 85
                  • ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.
                  Originally posted by Ænimal
                  Or, you know, you could learn to drive in a manner that doesn't get you tickets and avoid overburdening a tax-payer funded court system with petty disputes...

??? ??? ???

Officers shouldn't have bothered handing out petty tickets in the first place, giving everyone the opportunity to fight a ticket is a blessing
                  Originally posted by Winter Beater
                  If a car is shows that a solid effort was made, and the car is reasonably well executed I can respect that. Even if it's not my cup of tea..

May 28, 2016, 10:35 AM #9

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
                    • Reputation Power: 90
                    • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
                    Originally posted by ACiFiC
                    giving everyone the opportunity to fight a ticket is a blessing
                    I actually think it's our right
                    Current Forester count: 1
                    New business opening soon...

May 28, 2016, 11:43 AM #10

Shier Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 STI -- RIP 2011 Genesis Coupe
                      • Reputation Power: 53
                      • Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.
                      Ive been pulled over once in my life. I think the court system can handle that
                      It will never have enough power until I can spin all four wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear.

May 29, 2016, 02:36 PM #11

Earthworm Offline

• Vehicle: 1993 Subaru SVX
                        • Reputation Power: 2
                        • Earthworm has no influence.
                        Do they no longer give warnings?

May 30, 2016, 09:02 AM #12

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
                          • Reputation Power: 41
                          • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                          Originally posted by Earthworm
                          Do they no longer give warnings?

My brother in law got a warning by RCMP this weekend for speeding, but it's been a LONG time since I've heard of city Police missing an opportunity to get their ticket book out.
                          '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                          '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                          '04 Lexus GX470

May 30, 2016, 10:47 AM #13

#StreetFocus Offline

I was pulled over by an air force base cop. For non working taillights. He let me off with a warning since I knew the issue and told him I'd pull into a parking lot and fix it. and he said I was lucky I didn't get pulled over by a city cop because they don't give warnings. This was about 2 years ago. First (and only) time I was ever pulled over for speeding was a city cop, and yep, no warning. Ticket. Which I paid because I was speeding, didn't realize it and had no valid reason to be doing it. So I took the ticket and the consequences.

May 30, 2016, 01:59 PM #14

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                              • Reputation Power: 10
                              • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                              My dad got pulled over a year ago for speeding. The unmarked cop was staying in his blind spot and my dad wanted his lane and slowly kept giving it more gas and so did the cop. So unknowingly my dad stepped on it to get in front of him, cop gave him a warning for it.
                              I got pulled over a year or so ago me and my buddy did a pull and the cop pulled me over, made sure I wasn't drinking (people were leaving the bar at the time) then told me slow it down have a good night and walked back to his car.
                              I think the problem is people's license , if you have a **** license they will nail you because you don't learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 30, 2016, 03:23 PM #15

#StreetFocus Offline

Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                I think the problem is people's license , if you have a **** license they will nail you because you don't learn.

Nah, that has nothing to do with it. My speeding ticket is my only offense. only been pulled over that one other time for no taillights. So it's not just "**** license" people getting tickets and no warnings.

May 30, 2016, 03:30 PM #16

Madbuzz41 Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus

Nah, that has nothing to do with it. My speeding ticket is my only offense. only been pulled over that one other time for no taillights. So it's not just "**** license" people getting tickets and no warnings.

I have friends with good licenses that got warnings too. And bad licenses that get tickets. Could be just if you're young they want to teach you a lesson
                                  Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:32 PM by Madbuzz41

May 30, 2016, 03:32 PM #17

#StreetFocus Offline

So what we can conclude is, it doesn't matter what your license is like. It all depends on the mood the cop is in.

im young and they want to teach me a lesson? No....? It was a speed trap, and I got caught speeding. They wanted to ticket me for speeding. Why people look for reasons they got a ticket, beyond the fact they deserved it is kind of funny to me. Own up to your mistakes.
                                    If they wanted to "teach me a lesson" for being "young" I would have gotten a ticket for taillights being out. BTW I've been driving for 9 years, over 800,000 km, and have 1 offense on my license. I;m by no means a "young driver" But okay.

Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:35 PM by #StreetFocus

May 30, 2016, 03:37 PM #18

Madbuzz41 Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus
                                      So what we can conclude is, it doesn't matter what your license is like. It all depends on the mood the cop is in.

im young and they want to teach me a lesson? No....? It was a speed trap, and I got caught speeding. They wanted to ticket me for speeding. Why people look for reasons they got a ticket, beyond the fact they deserved it is kind of funny to me. Own up to your mistakes.
                                      If they wanted to "teach me a lesson" for being "young" I would have gotten a ticket for taillights being out. BTW I've been driving for 9 years, over 800,000 km, and have 1 offense on my license. I;m by no means a "young driver" But okay.

Calm down street focus

May 30, 2016, 03:38 PM #19

#StreetFocus Offline

Calm down street focus

I'm not calm? I'm pretty calm IMO. Just telling it like I see it is all. Sorry if I cam across as upset. Not the case at all.

May 30, 2016, 04:02 PM #20

ACiFiC Offline

• Vehicle: x2 Eunos
                                          • Reputation Power: 85
                                          • ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.
                                          There are good cops and bad cops.

The end
                                          Originally posted by Winter Beater
                                          If a car is shows that a solid effort was made, and the car is reasonably well executed I can respect that. Even if it's not my cup of tea..

May 31, 2016, 09:30 AM #21

JSTBCUZ Offline

• Reputation Power: 5
                                            • JSTBCUZ has no influence.
                                            My dad got pulled over a year ago for speeding. The unmarked cop was staying in his blind spot and my dad wanted his lane and slowly kept giving it more gas and so did the cop. So unknowingly my dad stepped on it to get in front of him, cop gave him a warning for it.

Believe it or not, you can also slow down to get into a lane too! Crazy, I know.

May 31, 2016, 09:38 AM #22

Madbuzz41 Offline

Originally posted by JSTBCUZ
                                              Believe it or not, you can also slow down to get into a lane too! Crazy, I know.

Yeah you could be I guarantee no one else would have. He was slowly speeding up cause he had lots of room before he needed that lane, and the cop kept slowly speeding up with him. Then out of of frustration he blipped it to get in front. The cop understood too, ran his plate and then pulled up beside him and told him " I know those cars are fast, next time just slow it down. "

Top Tier Imports