Author Topic: Just Another Civic Hatch  (Read 4266 times)

June 01, 2016, 10:28 PM #0

TeamSX4 Offline

• Vehicle: Suzuki SX4 AWD, mk3 Supra, H22 EK Hatch
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • TeamSX4 has no influence.
Picked up this safetied 96 Civic Hatch the other day. 137,000km on the body, which is in ok shape. Rust looks minimal but you can tell that it's been "repaired" before. Whole car has been frankensteined together. Body panels are from different cars, unknown seats, acura stereo, motor and trans out of an eg (currently not running), it's lowered on coilovers, has aftermarket lower control arms, the whole car has been spray bombed flat black, and I absolutely love it!

For the time being I just want to get it running and on the road. There will be some type of swap in the future but I want to do a lot more research before that happens. There seems to be a lot of controversy over what the best swap would be. I don't necessarily want to do the "best" swap, but I'll know when the right deal comes along. I think the easiest way will be to pick up an mpi write off and swap everything over.

As it sits now, it cranks good but won't fire. Previous owner said he could get it running but would only last a second or 2 before dying. So now I'm in the process of diagnosing the problem. Seems like its getting fuel and a spark. So next is airflow and sensors. I removed the IACV and cleaned it, as well as the throttle body. Gonna clean up some more things and check wiring connections next. I'll try to stay up to date on my progress and will add some more pics soon.

Check out more MT Garage projects here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhOCbO0kLDuVIAILbYdIQg

Top Tier Imports

Just Another Civic Hatch
    « on: June 01, 2016, 10:28 PM »

June 01, 2016, 10:57 PM #1

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
    • Reputation Power: 198
    • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

June 02, 2016, 12:56 PM #2

TeamSX4 Offline

Couple more pics before the work really begins

June 02, 2016, 07:49 PM #3

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
      • Reputation Power: 198
      • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

June 03, 2016, 12:19 AM #4

HondaFan Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Honda CRV, 83 Magna vf750c
      • Reputation Power: 4
      • HondaFan has no influence.
      Needs a lot of work but thats what makes it so rewarding in the end.
      Originally posted by TeamSX4
      I think the easiest way will be to pick up an mpi write off and swap everything over.
      I agree with this, I have considered it myself since you could get a full car for $200-$1000 depending on make and model and get all the parts you need, then sell the scrap for a couple hundred bucks

June 03, 2016, 07:13 AM #5

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by themikewoo
        Oh man that car needs some major TLC. What title does it have?
        Has a clean title and came with a safety so it's plated and ready to be driven. Just gotta get it running.. As far as the body goes, I love it as is (but that could change). I want to focus more on the motor and handling. Don't know how it handles yet but it's already lowered on coilovers and has some AM parts underneath. gotta get the Supra out of the shop so I can really give it a good look over.

June 03, 2016, 08:44 AM #6

Faken Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Honda Fit
          • Reputation Power: 141
          • Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!
          Subscribed. Honda ftw.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenau/
          All photos that are taken by me can be used for whatever you want!

"I love Honda's because I started with Honda's" - Ryan Basseri

Ken

[Mar 26 13:45:26] Igor:hearts before parts

June 07, 2016, 09:46 PM #7

TeamSX4 Offline

So I'm in need of a battery so I can actually try cranking the motor. I had one laying around in the shop but it was right dead. Had it on the trickle charger for a few days and just had enough juice to crank the starter once. So hopefully I'll be able to pick up a battery next week. Until then I'm gonna work on cleaning up the interior. Only had about an hour to work on it today but got started on it anyway.

First thing I did was take out all the spare parts. While doing this I felt the carpet and it was quite damp and musty. Also found a lot of leaves and plant material on the floor too. This got me worried about rust. I took out the front seats to find out the condition of the entire floor. Feels solid so that's a relief. The carpet is gonna take a lot of work to save so I'm debating removing it altogether and maybe just doing box liner. Still in the idea phase tho. The rear seats are rough too and looks like mice have got into them so considering getting rid of them too. I'd like to do auto cross at some point and not sure what class that would put me into. Still need to research before making a decision.

Found a battery box in the trunk with some cables running to it but no battery. No spare tire or cover. Box is full of corrosion so it's gonna go too. Can't tell at this point what exactly it was for.

That's about as far as I got today. As for the motor, I'm gonna spend some more time researching but since this will not be a daily driver, I'm considering a B16 turbo build. But there is a prelude coming up at auction so maybe an H22 will have to do. Opinions?   

June 07, 2016, 09:52 PM #8

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
              • Reputation Power: 84
              • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
              Sounds like a perfect candidate for a gutted autox car. although I think if it's gutted they would make you go in the prepared class?

http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9304-car-classing-guide-help-thread/&do=findComment&comment=110455

Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:55 PM by #StreetFocus

June 07, 2016, 11:19 PM #9

Miguel Offline

• Reputation Power: 74
                • Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.Miguel has a powerful will.
                I really like the H22 in my prelude. They're prone to burn oil so I'm not sure if you want to gamble with the one at auction. The H2B set up is getting more popular, getting rid of the sometimes wonky and long geared h22 tranny. The lighter car will definitely make it feel much faster!
                #DRIVEN2017 #IMPORTSOMETHING2017      

[Mar 13 11:28:02] Shaun:ur gonna play 20 questions with me like that oil cap arent u

June 11, 2016, 03:17 PM #10

TeamSX4 Offline

Got a little more done on the interior today. Decided I'm going to ditch the carpet and just do boxliner. Started by taking out the trunk liner and back seats. So far so good, everything looking solid. I removed the battery box and cleaned up all the mess left by the battery and luckily didn't cause any rust in the trunk.

Then I began removing the carpet. Once I got to the front, I could tell there was rust.. and a lot of it. So got the carpet out and removed the sound deadening to reveal a whole mess of rust on the driver side. The floor pan plugs were gone which would have allowed water in and it just sat, rotting everything. Not sure how that passed safety... So I'll be cutting it out and welding in a new floor for the driver side. Passenger side is rusty but I think I can still save it as it's not rusted through anywhere. We'll see once I start trying to clean it up.

June 11, 2016, 04:00 PM #11

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                    • Reputation Power: 19
                    • cluelessk has no influence.
                    You intend to drive this on the street?

I'd really go over the whole chassis and look for rust. If the floors are that bad I'd be worried about structural components. Take out the rest of the rear interior and pull off the front fenders.
                    [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

June 11, 2016, 10:54 PM #12

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by cluelessk
                      You intend to drive this on the street?

I'd really go over the whole chassis and look for rust. If the floors are that bad I'd be worried about structural components. Take out the rest of the rear interior and pull off the front fenders.

Of course I'm planning on driving it. But not until it's safe to do so. And get the motor running... I'll be going over every part of the car eventually. But gotta start somewhere.  So far I've found that the strut mounts and frame are still solid. I know that the suspension is newer and, mechanically, the steering components work as they should, as well as the brakes. I'm thinking the floor is the worst of it as the carpet was damp and sitting. The rest of it wouldn't have been sitting in moisture the same as this. But... you never know till you start ripping things apart. 

June 23, 2016, 07:17 PM #13

TeamSX4 Offline

So I removed the interior panels to check for more rust. I knew I'd find some since I could tell that the quarters have been repaired before. Started with the driver side. Surprisingly from the inside there was only surface rust and still felt solid. So sanded it down and sealed with rust converter. I also sprayed the entire inner area with undercoat. It's petroleum based so it will keep the moisture away and slow the formation of rust.

Then I removed the rear bumper cover and tail lights, which revealed a tiny rust hole in the rear corner by the tail light. So I patched and seam sealed it. Then coated everything with undercoat. The stuff isn't the prettiest, but it'll all be covered anyway. Next is the passenger side, where I found some sheet metal welded in from the inside to repair the quarter panel. it's solid but starting to rust, so I'll end up sanding it down on the inside and doing the same process as the driver side. Once complete, the rear will be ready for box liner.

Found some other surprises in the car too, title says the car was white but the original colour was actually red, then later painted white. The rear bumper is bent, so it was obviously in a fender bender before, but still managed to keep a clean title. I'm guessing it was repaired diy style then. I would assume that this is when the quarters were "repaired" and the car was painted white. Now the car is flat black, so who knows how long ago that was all done. Its fine though, I'm not too worried about the condition of the body, as long as its structurally sound. Which it will be once I weld in the new floor.   

June 28, 2016, 07:24 PM #14

TeamSX4 Offline

More work on the hatch. Finished rustproofing the rest of the body panels from the inside using the undercoat. I know I didn't get rid of the rust 100% or prevent it from forming, but it'll definitely slow the process. At least the body/frame is solid and that's the main thing. Then I reinstalled the rear bumper with all new clips and then the tail lights. Sorta starting to look like a car again.

Next I got started working on the floor. I started on the rear and will work my way to the front. I got the trunk and former rear seat area cleaned up and sanded which luckily didn't reveal anymore rust. I put the interior panels in place and outlined the floor with a sharpie. This will show how far I need to paint. Then I laid 3 coats of Duplicolor Bed Armour. I started by using the roller but found it was very inconsistent and hard to control. It seemed like the roller would absorb the paint part of the product and then leave the rubberised textured material in big clumps as I rolled it. So for the last 2 coats I used a foam brush instead which made a huge difference and gave me the result I was looking for. It did leave some inconsistent patterns where the white still showed through, so I finished it all off with a coat of flat black paint. From a distance it actually looks like carpet. I'll use this same method on the rest of the floor once it's cleaned and welded up. 

June 29, 2016, 10:36 PM #15

TeamSX4 Offline

So, I said I'd know what direction I wanted to go with the motor once the right deal came along. Well, there were a few options at the mpi auction  today. They consisted of a 99 SIR B16, Acura Integra B18, and a 94 Prelude SR-V H22.

I went in wanting the SIR since it would be the easiest swap. but wanted to have back up plans too. It is salvageable with minimal damage. After checking out the car, I found the motor caked in oil and no oil on the dipstick. So motor wise it was a bit of a risk. Would make a great front end conversion though, so definitely worth a bid or two. 

Next I checked out the 99 integra B18. The listing stated that there was no oil or coolant in the vehicle. Who knows if it even runs? I saw no signs of leaks anywhere so was possibly drained for some reason. I brought oil and coolant along just in case. It has an irreparable status so at this point it's not worth too much. Too risky. But body panels were ok so maybe some profit there.

Then checked the Prelude. Went to open the doors and they were locked, which means no opportunity to check under the hood. I know it's supposed to have an H22A1 but until I see it I don't know for sure. The rest of the car was completely mint. Not sure why it was even written off, but has an irreparable status. If it was this well taken care of, I can assume it has the original motor and that it wasn't abused. But again, huge risk.

So it was auction time. Bidders were stupid today. People spending way too much on these cars. I was in a bidding war for the SIR and was obvious that the guy wasn't about to back down so I let him have it. I'm ok with it tho since I'd be using it only for parts. Would be nice to see someone fix it and drive it instead. Next the Integra was up, which again, went way too high for what it was. At this point I wasn't feeling like I'd pick up anything. The Prelude came up near the end of the auction and I was able to win it. So that settles it, I'm going H series. I got my keys and popped the hood. Everything on this car looks immaculate. But we'll see what we find once we get to work. It's a shame that it's irreparable, but I'll make good use of it.

June 30, 2016, 10:29 AM #16

CodyLoewen Offline

• Reputation Power: 39
                              • CodyLoewen is working their way up.CodyLoewen is working their way up.CodyLoewen is working their way up.
                              Ah damn, if only I had come across this thread sooner.  I've got a B17 GSR that I'll be selling / pulling this weekend!
                              1999 Honda Civic

[Feb 22 16:57:22] Shaun:i dont wanna be friends with fence posts 

Faken:if i get this promtion.. i might get a convertible..
                              Shaun:a convertible what? pen? yes this pen turns into a coupon holder.

June 30, 2016, 11:13 AM #17

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by CodyLoewen
                                Ah damn, if only I had come across this thread sooner.  I've got a B17 GSR that I'll be selling / pulling this weekend!
                                Ah too bad. Would have been another good choice. So far I'm happy with what we got. I'd rather have a complete donor car than have to piece a swap together. Makes it a much easier process. 

June 30, 2016, 10:23 PM #18

CodyLoewen Offline

• Reputation Power: 39
                                  • CodyLoewen is working their way up.CodyLoewen is working their way up.CodyLoewen is working their way up.
                                  Originally posted by TeamSX4
                                  Ah too bad. Would have been another good choice. So far I'm happy with what we got. I'd rather have a complete donor car than have to piece a swap together. Makes it a much easier process. 

Mine is still in a running driving GSR lol! All good though, the prelude will have a good engine!
                                  1999 Honda Civic

[Feb 22 16:57:22] Shaun:i dont wanna be friends with fence posts 

Faken:if i get this promtion.. i might get a convertible..
                                  Shaun:a convertible what? pen? yes this pen turns into a coupon holder.

June 30, 2016, 10:53 PM #19

TeamSX4 Offline

So I've given up on trying to get the D15 running. I've checked the fuel system, sensors, changed plugs/wires, checked timing, changed distributor with another used one. Still nothing changed. So I'm done spending money and time on it so out it comes.

Got started on the tear down this evening so we can pull the D15 and make room for that lovely H22. So far it's been the easiest pull we've ever done. Helps that the D15 was swapped recently so nothing was rusted or seized. Worked on it for less than 2 hours and we got all the electrical connectors, hoses and lines disconnected and labelled. Fluids drained, rad is out, and pulled the axles. Now we're pretty much ready to unbolt the mounts and lift it out. Probably would have had it done this evening yet, but we lent out the hoist to a buddy who is doing a 5.7 swap in his S10. We should have it back next week sometime. This will give me time to do a bit more research, and order the parts I need to complete the swap. 

July 01, 2016, 10:30 AM #20

dolan Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 civic si
                                      • Reputation Power: 0
                                      • dolan is looked down upon.
                                      You could have always just threw a jack with a block of wood under the oil pan and drop it out the bottom. I've done that twice.
                                      Dyllan Angelkovski (aka) Dyllan Africa

[Mar 27 22:16:27] Uncle Hugh Myron:i bet PEAVEY MART NOW OPEN has it

July 01, 2016, 12:26 PM #21

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by dolan
                                        You could have always just threw a jack with a block of wood under the oil pan and drop it out the bottom. I've done that twice.
                                        Yup, that's always another option. That'll be a last resort if I start to get super anxious about it. There's just something satisfying about hoisting an engine out of a car.

July 23, 2016, 02:38 PM #22

TeamSX4 Offline

Old D15 is out and my shafts and mounts are here. Although it'll be painful, we're going to start ripping apart that gorgeous Prelude this weekend.  Here's a crappy video I put together of the project so far.

July 24, 2016, 01:58 AM #23

HBeat Offline

• Vehicle: 1991 Honda Beat
                                            • Reputation Power: 2
                                            • HBeat has no influence.
                                            I like your style!
                                            3 cyl ITB 650cc. MR

October 13, 2016, 11:33 PM #24

TeamSX4 Offline

So I realized I haven't done much for updates on this beast for a while. We've made huge progress on it including pulling the H22 from the prelude, merging harnesses, ordering parts, chipped ecu, and now we're in the process of H22 install. We started recording and editing some amateur videos of our progress. If you wanna check it out, it's all on this playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1bewzles2ChESnrCzqNudF3I1bI-Z2Kg

Top Tier Imports

Just Another Civic Hatch
                                                « Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 11:33 PM »