Author Topic: Just Another Civic Hatch  (Read 3554 times)

October 16, 2016, 02:55 PM #25

N1ck Offline

• Reputation Power: 9
  • N1ck has no influence.
Fyi those are del sol seats, cool project.
1993 Del Sol Si
2015 Kia Sportage EX Luxury AWD
2015 Chrysler 300 Limited

Top Tier Imports

Just Another Civic Hatch
    « Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55 PM »

November 01, 2016, 11:00 AM #26

TeamSX4 Offline

• Vehicle: Suzuki SX4 AWD, mk3 Supra, H22 EK Hatch
    • Reputation Power: 16
    • TeamSX4 has no influence.
    Originally posted by N1ck
    Fyi those are del sol seats, cool project.
    Ya man, love the way the seats sit in the civic. I'm pretty tall and they sit nice and low, giving me plenty of head room. Makes the car feel bigger than it is. Only wish they weren't reclined so far back, even when fully inclined, it feels like I'm laying down. Might take them apart yet and see if there's a way to adjust it. 
    Check out more MT Garage projects here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhOCbO0kLDuVIAILbYdIQg

November 04, 2016, 09:27 AM #27

N1ck Offline

• Reputation Power: 9
      • N1ck has no influence.
      I had my Del Sol seats redone. For an old eco car, the stock seats are awesome!

1993 Del Sol Si
      2015 Kia Sportage EX Luxury AWD
      2015 Chrysler 300 Limited

November 07, 2016, 09:46 AM #28

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by N1ck
        I had my Del Sol seats redone. For an old eco car, the stock seats are awesome!

Wow those look really good! Where did you get them done?

November 19, 2016, 10:27 AM #29

TeamSX4 Offline

Update -

So got the H22 installed in the civic. The aftermarket eBay mounts fit ok, had to persuade the driver side mount and add some spacers for it to line up properly. You get what you pay for I guess. Better mounts will come in the future but at this point I just wanted to get the thing running. The Yonaka shafts I ordered fit perfectly and got everything else bolted up. And lastly, plugged in the ecu. Got the factory Prelude P13 chipped to bypass the EGR and Evap systems. Can't do much else in terms of fuel mapping on the P13 unfortunately.

So it's time for first start up. Did a last once over and turned the key. Finally fired after pumping the gas, but ran ljust like the old D15 did. Was only firing on 2 cylinders and sounded like a cammed V8. So.. Time to go over our wiring to start.

So 2 weeks we spent going over the wiring at least 3 times wire by wire, with no problems. We changed the plugs and wires, drained the old gas and put in new, went over all vacuum lines, checked timing, and still had the same result.. So we were at a loss and didn't know what else to do. Out of curiosity and as a last resort, we plugged in the old Civic P06 that it came with the car when I bought it, just to see what would happen. turned the key and it ran, maybe not perfectly, but on all cylinders and idled smooth. As soon as you'd give it gas it would stall out. So that settled it, it's the P13 that's the problem.

So picked up a chipped P28 with the Prelude base maps a couple days later. Plugged it in and fired it up. Ran about the same as with the P06 but were able to get some engine codes. there were a couple loose wires on the harness from the previous owner still, so we soldered them up and we were golden.

January 16, 2017, 11:30 AM #30

TeamSX4 Offline

Realized I haven't posted on here in a while.. So here's a quick update-

Got the P28 hooked up and mounted where the glove box used to be. Now it serves as an ECU cover. Pretty stealthy I must say. This stock tuned ECU was just temporary so I could at least drive it. I ordered a second tuned P28 from Clubbed Ind. in which they raised the rev limiter to 8200, VTEC now kicks in at a lower RPM of 4600, and launch control set at 4500. I'm excited to get it hooked up and try it out. But stock will do for now.

By now the only thing keeping me from driving was is the exhaust, or lack thereof. So for temporary purposes I picked up a $40 thrush from CT and schmaded the old prelude exhaust to fit the civic. I didn't have enough piping so I had to make it a side exit. This did not work too well as the thrush was sitting about an inch off the ground, but at least I could somewhat drive it now. Even though I scraped at every intersection and sounded terrible. At least my Yonaka cat back is on the way. 

So I drove it around town off and on for about two weeks (No highway driving yet) and all of a sudden I lost my gages and all lights went dim. Luckily I was a few blocks from my house, so pulled into the garage and checked the battery. Charge was low and the alternator wasn't sending a charge. We charged the battery up and swapped out the alternator with a spare we had kicking around. But still got the same result. Checked the battery voltage while running and only showed 12.6 rather than above 14. Maybe the spare was shot too.. So we took a known working alternator out of an accord (sending 14.6v running) and installed it. Still the same result. Only conclusion is that the wiring must be wrong somewhere. So that's where we're at now. 

January 21, 2017, 11:48 PM #31

TeamSX4 Offline

Quick update: Not much going on with the civic as of late due to work and other projects.. Many parts have arrived that are waiting to be installed. Have a couple days off coming up so hopefully we can make some progress.

Got the Yonaka exhaust fabbed and mocked up. Had to do some slight modifications since it's meant to bolt up to D series, not an H22. So had to cut up the H22 test pipe and weld a new flange to bolt it up. Ended up being a lot bigger process than it needed to be since the pipe was pretty rusted in that spot. The weld kept getting contaminated and porous. So took a lot of grinding and re-welding to get it to look half decent and sealed. I'm not too happy with the way it turned out but it'll work for now until I get myself an AM header. On my days off I'm planning on finishing up the exhaust and getting started on cutting out the rusty floor.

I would also like to take a moment of silence to honour the Prelude that gave it's life, so an H22 Civic could be born. The donor Prelude is now fully stripped and sent to the scrap yard. Lots of parts for sale if anyone is interested.

April 01, 2017, 08:26 AM #32

TeamSX4 Offline

Quick update on what's been going on over the winter:

-Removed that shotty side pipe and installed my Yonaka cat back
                -Started welding up the rusty floor
                -Got some door cards
                -Painted valve cover and SRI
                -Test fit the "type R" wing

Lots more work ahead, but we're getting closer

April 05, 2017, 12:29 AM #33

TeamSX4 Offline

Finally got my NRG Wheel, quick release, and short hub installed. Never mind the redneck horn wiring. I didn't have the plate for it but I had to rig it up somehow..

April 05, 2017, 07:47 AM #34

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                    • Reputation Power: 239
                    • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                    You should autocross this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                    2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

April 12, 2017, 09:55 PM #35

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                      You should autocross this

@Igor  Ya man! Gonna be at the HPDE in May. Then the plan is to do Auto X this summer. Fingers crossed I don't break anything right away lol

April 13, 2017, 08:52 AM #36

Igor Offline

• Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                        Originally posted by TeamSX4
                        @Igor  Ya man! Gonna be at the HPDE in May. Then the plan is to do Auto X this summer. Fingers crossed I don't break anything right away lol

Even if you do, parts are dirt cheap and readily available. You've got a fun platform.

April 20, 2017, 10:03 PM #37

TeamSX4 Offline

Update:

It's crunch time, gotta get ready for HPDE in May.

Got the floor rustproofed, fully welded and fibre glassed up the holes. Then used seam sealer and undercoat on the underside of the floor. I used Boxliner on the interior so it's good and durable. It was a long process but should last a long time now. It's a good feeling knowing that the car is now  structurally sound

Also Got a set of D2 coilovers installed. Adjusted the height also so it's not so ridiculously low. Took it out for a rip a few times and realized that the clutch master cylinder was leaking inside the car and all over my fresh floor :/ well, I guess that's next on the list. 

Sorry this is a bit of a long video but like I said, it was a long process.. 

June 01, 2017, 12:45 AM #38

TeamSX4 Offline

Had a couple more things left to finish up before we headed out to Gimli:

-Clutch master was leaking, so we installed a new one. Also ended up cleaning up the clutch lines since we used the ones out of the Prelude temporarily which were way too long. So got a shorter length of line and bent it to fit.

-Cleaned up the mess of wiring a bit more in the engine bay so nothing could move around

-installed a rad fan switch so I can switch it on just in case. Hasn't overheated on me yet, even with running the factory civic rad and flipping the fan to the front side. Pretty happy with it so far, we'll see how it does in summer though.

-Adjusted the coilovers so it sits a bit lower but still practical. I drive the 428 highway every day (worst in southern MB imo)

-Put my SSR Type X wheels back on

-Redid the box liner on the floor where the clutch fluid had stripped it

-Installed a fire extinguisher because first engine swap

-Synthetic oil change

Also did a bit of maintenance on the car dolly. Ended up taking it with just in case something went wrong.
                            Here's a bit of a taste of the shenanigans that go down when we're trying to get stuff done.. No wonder it takes us so long

Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:47 AM by TeamSX4

June 01, 2017, 06:21 AM #39

Igor Offline

How was the Gimli event?

June 01, 2017, 03:04 PM #40

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                                How was the Gimli event?
                                Its was great. Had a lot of fun and learned a lot. Best of all, the Civic survived all weekend and preformed amazing. Unfortunately, My bro's car broke on the first day. He was in the B class while I was in class C, so it worked out to let him use the Civic in place of it. That means it had to work double time. Good to know that our swap is reliable. I was worried about it overheating, but never had any issues. 

June 01, 2017, 08:25 PM #41

Magner Offline

• Vehicle: Neons
                                  • Reputation Power: 72
                                  • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
                                  Sounds like a good track mule, come try autocross this summer with it!

June 04, 2017, 08:20 PM #42

TeamSX4 Offline

Originally posted by Magner
                                    Sounds like a good track mule, come try autocross this summer with it!
                                    That's the plan. Just as soon as I can get a race weekend off work, I'll be there. #responsibilities

June 04, 2017, 08:35 PM #43

TeamSX4 Offline

A quick video of the fun we had in Gimli

June 12, 2017, 11:00 AM #44

TeamSX4 Offline

So now that I know the motor runs well and the car is reliable, I want to turn my focus towards upgrading the handling, braking, and just fixing up some little issues.

We picked up a parts car over the winter with lots of aftermarket parts as well as a full disc brake conversion. I'm planning on doing this swap in the near future. We've swapped quite a few parts over already, but there's a b16a under the hood which I'd like to sell before stripping that car any further. Still drivable in it's current state which makes for an easier sell.

A couple other little things I have planned for the summer:
                                        -Strut bar setup and lower subframe brace
                                        -new bushings and balljoints
                                        -some cosmetic things like repainting the imperfections and airbrushing the roof
                                        -deleting the stereo and fixing a short that keeps blowing that fuse (also affects the reverse lights)
                                        -getting the horn and washer fluid to work

Bigger things coming for winter but we'll leave that for another time.

June 21, 2017, 10:13 PM #45

TeamSX4 Offline

We found a buyer for the b16a out of our parts car, so it's time to start stripping it. Found out the lca's are Skunk2 so I'll be stealing them for my car, as well as the rear disc brake setup. The lca's are super corroded and almost all the neochrome has flaked off, so I knocked the bushings out and the plan is to get Envirotech to chrome them for me. I'll also be doing the same with the rear trailing arms, front control arms, etc. then swapping them onto mine as well. This way I can still drive my car while these ones are being chromed. Can't wait to finally be installing clean parts.

Also have my strut bar and sub frame setup on it's way. Should be here this week.

July 01, 2017, 10:13 PM #46

TeamSX4 Offline

Finally decided to do something with my roof, which consisted of multiple layers of paint, dents, and bondo. I've always loved the sheet metal and rivets look, and since the roof is dented any way, I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to have some fun with my airbrush. I'm completely self taught and this was my first big project. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Top Tier Imports

Just Another Civic Hatch
                                              « Reply #46 on: July 01, 2017, 10:13 PM »