Author Topic: Removing surface rust from rock chips  (Read 3513 times)

June 11, 2016, 05:30 PM #0

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
As the title states I'm looking for a (hopefully cheap) method of removing some surface rust from my hood that was causes my stone chips. I'd rather not have to get my hood refinished.

It's not terrible, but I'm worried that I don't do anything about it that it will get worse.

There's also a sizeable stone chip that caused my paint to flake a bit due to washing my car. :(
(∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

Top Tier Imports

Removing surface rust from rock chips
    « on: June 11, 2016, 05:30 PM »

June 11, 2016, 10:48 PM #1

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
    • Reputation Power: 247
    • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
    Surprisingly sonax fallout cleaner cleans out rust. Use that and then touch up paint once the rust is gone. $30 for a bottle at speedfactor.
    2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
    2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

June 12, 2016, 01:44 AM #2

Vince Offline

• Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
      Originally posted by Igor
      Surprisingly sonax fallout cleaner cleans out rust. Use that and then touch up paint once the rust is gone. $30 for a bottle at speedfactor.

I actually meant to ask about that stuff as I've seen it on Instagram. I'll pick some up this week if I have a chance.

Would Ronax or Honda be better for touch up paint?

June 12, 2016, 09:54 AM #3

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
        • Reputation Power: 108
        • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
        I'll admit that I haven't used Sonax Fallout Remover but I am extremely skeptical that it can remove rust. I do definitely believe that it will dislodge loose iron particles and that "orange dust", but oxidation needs to be chemically stopped or mechanically removed from the metal. That said, if it's just a little bit of "turning orange", you could clean it with that fallout remover, paint over it with a dab of touch-up, put a dab of clear over top, then wetsand it flat. Should last a pretty decent while before the rust causes the paint to bubble. By the time that happens, it will have eaten into the metal more, so sanding it off will likely reveal deeper etching that will need filling and a broader affected area.

Rondex touch-up paint is pretty good with the colour matching most times, but it's quite expensive at over $20/can and the coverage is terrible. The Rondex rattle can clear is hands is super finicky. If it's too hot, it won't set right. If it's too humid, it won't set right. The nozzle sucks absolute ass and is pretty likely to either dry spray into your wet coat, or lob a loogie of clear onto the surface that you'll then have to sand out. I've gotten a very nice mirror finish with it, but it absolutely needed wetsanding and buffing to do it. Once that's done though, it's decently tough and looks good.

Depending on the expanse of the affected area, you could attempt a blend with rattle cans, but believe me, it's easy to screw up. I know I screwed mine up, and it was simpler than a hood.  I have a lot of wetsanding and buffing to do. I had some flaking paint on the lip of my wheel arch, so I sanded it down to bare metal and feathered out the area as little as possible, then scuffed a large area around it with a gray pad and sanding paste. (this is actually my mistake- I should have scuffed the entire fender or at least a larger area and recleared the whole thing) Then I primed, then blended out the repair with Rondex colour matched base, and cleared over the entire scuffed area. Getting Rondex clearcoat overspray on unscuffed areas was my downfall. I'm now stuck having to feather it out while trying not to burn through the factory clearcoat. Definitely don't do what I did.
        Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:01 AM by firelizard

June 12, 2016, 06:35 PM #4

Lou Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 Toyota 86
          • Reputation Power: 35
          • Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.
          I found that fiberglass pen thing I was mentioning last fnl. No idea if it's the proper way to go about removing rust resulting from some chips but I found it worked ok for me when I used it on my TSX. Your welcome to borrow it if you want to.

June 12, 2016, 07:47 PM #5

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
            • Reputation Power: 20
            • cluelessk barely matters.cluelessk barely matters.
            Toilet bowl cleaner. Soak a Q-Tip in it and dab the chip and wait. Use water after to neutralize the cleaner. Dry well.

For touch up paint I'd go to a body shop. They can usually give you a little of the left overs. A Honda shop will most likely have a bunch of extra. When I did mine I just mixed some left over clear with my black base and it turned out well and lasted a long time. A cardboard match stick with the head pulled off works best for a brush.
            Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:58 PM by cluelessk
            [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

June 12, 2016, 07:50 PM #6

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
              • Reputation Power: 20
              • cluelessk barely matters.cluelessk barely matters.
              Another more detailed method.

[Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

June 13, 2016, 11:08 PM #7

Vince Offline

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to try Sonax Fallout Cleaner first since the rust spots are just surface and very minor. If this method doesn't work I'll try something more through!

I'll probably try and tackle this Saturday. I'll try and remember to post pictures.

June 17, 2016, 02:57 PM #8

Boyli Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Impreza, 1994 Camry
                  • Reputation Power: 23
                  • Boyli barely matters.Boyli barely matters.
                  Apply a bit of rust inhibitor acid in the spots with a Q-tip then apply some touchup paint in there then clear nail polish over top to seal it. Contrary to above the touchup paint at Rondex is $15, I work there.

June 17, 2016, 04:51 PM #9

firelizard Offline

• firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                    Originally posted by Boyli
                    Apply a bit of rust inhibitor acid in the spots with a Q-tip then apply some touchup paint in there then clear nail polish over top to seal it. Contrary to above the touchup paint at Rondex is $15, I work there.

I was referring to spray cans. I would use them more often if they were only $15. Of the two (base and clear) one is a bit more expensive. I think it was the base. Either way. 20ish.

June 24, 2016, 11:56 PM #10

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                      • Reputation Power: 129
                      • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
                      In for TTI Deals, which Rondex? any Satin White Pearl for a '14 Forester?
                      '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                      '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                      IG: colby_spence
                      Snap: cspence47

June 25, 2016, 08:13 AM #11

Boyli Offline

Originally posted by Colby
                        In for TTI Deals, which Rondex? any Satin White Pearl for a '14 Forester?
                        There's only one in the city, 177 Isabel :)  Yeah I can mix up any colour but I'd need the paint code. Should be in the passenger side door jamb. Pearl whites aren't easy though because they're what's called a tri-coat. You need to apply a base of solid white, then a translucent pearl coat, then a clear coat.

July 14, 2016, 11:15 PM #12

Colby Offline

• Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
                          There's only one in the city, 177 Isabel :)  Yeah I can mix up any colour but I'd need the paint code. Should be in the passenger side door jamb. Pearl whites aren't easy though because they're what's called a tri-coat. You need to apply a base of solid white, then a translucent pearl coat, then a clear coat.

Unfortunately the foz has a few more chips than id like to admit. Does rondex sell a primer for the deeper chips to the Metal/Plastic?

37J is the paint code for Satin White Pearl. I have one spot on the roof that has some rust built up, took a nasty rock, any advice for clearing that up apart from the fibreglass pen, sonax and rust inhibitor acid? Ive also never done anything like this but would like to get better at it...Any advice is welcome. Ive read that this colour should contain The Base Color, The Semi/Gloss Coat, and The Clear Coat. and just practice a handful before attempting with a tricoat.

Also should do the Legacy, perhaps a good project to learn how to touch up??

@Vince Sonax review?

July 15, 2016, 10:52 AM #13

Boyli Offline

Originally posted by Colby
                            Unfortunately the foz has a few more chips than id like to admit. Does rondex sell a primer for the deeper chips to the Metal/Plastic?

37J is the paint code for Satin White Pearl. I have one spot on the roof that has some rust built up, took a nasty rock, any advice for clearing that up apart from the fibreglass pen, sonax and rust inhibitor acid? Ive also never done anything like this but would like to get better at it...Any advice is welcome. Ive read that this colour should contain The Base Color, The Semi/Gloss Coat, and The Clear Coat. and just practice a handful before attempting with a tricoat.

Also should do the Legacy, perhaps a good project to learn how to touch up??

@Vince Sonax review?
                            We have some filler primers but only in spray cans and it's not going to fill a larger chip, your best bet would be clean it out with rust inhibitor, a bit of spot putty or fiberglass, a bit of primer, then the base, the pearl, then clear.

July 15, 2016, 11:21 PM #14

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 10
                              • dan has no influence.
                              @Vince how did the Sonax work out?

July 15, 2016, 11:53 PM #15

Vince Offline

I've yet to actually buy the sonax haha I've been too busy and keep forgetting. @dan @Colby

July 16, 2016, 12:47 PM #16

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 10
                                  • dan has no influence.
                                  Originally posted by Vince
                                  I've yet to actually buy the sonax haha I've been too busy and keep forgetting. @dan @Colby

Let us know.how.it works out.  I'm also going g to pick up the same stuff and try to seal my hood after.  Stone chips suck

July 16, 2016, 02:25 PM #17

Vince Offline

Originally posted by dan
                                    Let us know.how.it works out.  I'm also going g to pick up the same stuff and try to seal my hood after.  Stone chips suck

@Igor has also used it IIRC. From what I've heard it works pretty good

July 17, 2016, 05:33 PM #18

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                                      • Reputation Power: 247
                                      • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                                      The sonax works great. I had a few chips that started rusting. One poot of the sonax and it pulled it completely off to expose clean metal underneath. Wash off with water and fill in with paint.
                                      2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                                      2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

July 17, 2016, 07:08 PM #19

benz88 Offline

• Reputation Power: 66
                                        • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                                        CLR on Q-Tip
                                        '91 240sx Hatch
                                        '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
                                        '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
                                        '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
                                        '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

July 19, 2016, 07:35 PM #20

Vince Offline

Good news guys! I found another method to get the rock chips and rust spots fixed! It was pretty easy too!!

July 20, 2016, 10:49 PM #21

firelizard Offline

Uhhh sweet?

That's a bit of a bummer, but on the bright side you can do a clear bra after it's fixed or replaced. :) Silver lining?

July 22, 2016, 06:03 PM #22

Colby Offline

Originally posted by firelizard
                                              Uhhh sweet?

That's a bit of a bummer, but on the bright side you can do a clear bra after it's fixed or replaced. :) Silver lining?
                                              Originally posted by Vince
                                              Good news guys! I found another method to get the rock chips and rust spots fixed! It was pretty easy too!!

This isnt the cheapest method but itsnt the most expensive one either... my condolances vince, good to see you are ok though!

Top Tier Imports

Removing surface rust from rock chips
                                                « Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 06:03 PM »