Author Topic: The Foz - The Do All Daily  (Read 7482 times)

June 03, 2017, 08:35 PM #150

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!
Took the foz to JP Subaru this week for the CVT fluid change. I tried to bargain off my future first born. $450 for the service and oil. OUCH! But, it was quick service, they didnt do anything more or less and didnt hammer on it during the road test. Considering I'm set for another 100,000kms, $450 isnt that bad.

We worked on Matts Forester. TLDR. Its fixed!

He was full on ready for a MT swap, I told him to hold his horses, lets pull the pan and see if something is wrong internally. That lead to him sourcing a tranny from Subaru Gerry, I did a bunch of cross referencing on the USDM vs JDM, Phase 1 vs Phase 2, Studying what solenoids can be swapped and or boughten. Turns out its like $300 or so for a solenoid. Gerry hooked us up at $400 for a USDM 4EAT. The plan was to swap it in if needed.

After work on Monday we dropped the Automatic Trans Oil Pan. This was my first time in a trans, so it was touch and go for me, but I do know subarus.. Luckily Matt has been in a VW for sometime and has had lots of trans experience... but not autos. We dropped the pan, fluid went everywhere. The previous owner had been in it and Red RTV'd the **** out of the pan gasket. Goop everywhere. The oil was brown and burnt, but there was very little trans wear. After cleaning ourselves and the area up, we got to take a peak at the Solenoid Valve body/block. Where he hit a rock and bent the pan during the offroading venture, was the Clutch solenoid. Sheard the connector off and there was no way to repair it. So we grabbed fluids, filters, food, did an oil change on his forester and dinked around until Gerry got home and then we used my grocery getter to pick up the new-to-us transmission. The one we grabbed was the same tranny, but was a minor revision. He had a S1AA, and we got a C2AA. We got back to the shop around midnight, stripped the new tranny, pulled the new 2-4 Clutch Shift Solenoid, tested it and installed. What we didnt realize was that RTV takes 24 hours before its cured... damn. I layed a nice thin gasket out of Black RTV, and we reinstalled everything.

The next day we filled the transmission up with Castrol Transmax, took it for a rip around the block. The transmission is shifting again, smoother than when he got the car.

He now has a parts transmission and might even be willing to sell parts if anyone needs for a Phase 2 4EAT.

Back to The Foz, I have started the audio portion of the build. Subwoofer box is built and curing as I type. More to come on this as I tackle it slowly
'14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
'94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
IG: colby_spence
Snap: cspence47

Top Tier Imports

The Foz - The Do All Daily
    « Reply #150 on: June 03, 2017, 08:35 PM »

June 05, 2017, 12:33 PM #151

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
    • Reputation Power: 117
    • Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!
    Originally posted by Colby

Back to The Foz, I have started the audio portion of the build. Subwoofer box is built and curing as I type. More to come on this as I tackle it slowly
    WOO!
    BAASSSSSSS
    I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
    My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
    Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

July 07, 2017, 09:26 PM #152

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
      • Reputation Power: 114
      • Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!
      Nothing more than a small tuning and maintenance update for The Foz this time.

I changed the Differential fluids today with Castrol 75-90 Full Synthetic, first time doing this so I am not sure on how to "read" the oil and residues. Interestingly, both front and rear diffs were low. I am unsure how much oil gets eaten or escapes through the breather, but I'd wager they were at 75% of full. Boy, were they black and throughly used; The front looked like it may have had some water dilution too. It almost looked like it was grease in spots on the magnets...

Engine Oil was changed at 7,000 instead of 10 and it was real bad. I suspect it was from all the hard driving since I started the tuning with Torqued. A new fill of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and I should be good for the rest of the summer. Oh, also did another seafoam to the fuel to help clean the injectors and keep it running smooth. $12 piece of mind,

We are on to Revision 17 of the map. The CVT and the FA20DIT is apparantly a **** combo, the trans lugs the motor and the DI is extremely tempermental with knocking. Whenever I use Manual or SIDrive - Sport Modes, there is next to nothing and it performs like the WRX would. The CVT is always keeping fuel economy in mind instead of running a safe RPM. Luckily the motor is extremely adaptable and versatile with the timing, AVCS, and knock strategies. The Grimmspeed 3 Port EBCS is extremely consistant with its controlling and hasn't spiked more than .5 PSI. The stock controller had as much as 5 PSI for spikes - Target is 18 PSI, Achieved was 23 PSI. Overall the tune is about the same performance as the COBB OTS Stage 1, however its extremely safe on the tranny and the motor. Considering that I have added a few hundred pounds of weight, bigger tires, heavier wheels, reduced the aerodynamics and witht he tune she is a bit quicker than stock, Id say its a win-win. She isnt fast, but shes quick... enough. Torqued adjusts some stuff and the Feedback Knock goes wild, antoher and the Fine Knock goes crazy. Its like a magical balancing act that is fighting him with every revision.

Most likely nothing more for a while, until the audio gets finished and I head out west for a weekend later in August/Sept
      '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
      '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
      IG: colby_spence
      Snap: cspence47

July 08, 2017, 04:10 AM #153

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
        • Reputation Power: 239
        • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
        Wow that's a lot of revisions. You should post up some logs. I'm interested to see what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
        2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

July 08, 2017, 08:33 AM #154

Nirusan Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 BMW M2, 2015 Audi S3
          • Reputation Power: 212
          • Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!
          Originally posted by Igor
          Wow that's a lot of revisions. You should post up some logs. I'm interested to see what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://datazap.me/
          [Sep 03 10:56:42] Faken:I wanna be on autters whorefax... Gonna write her off
          [Sep 03 11:06:48] Faken:If I stuck my pee pee into 100 girls from africa.. I think it will make a difference if u want to sleep with me.
          [Oct 15 19:20:41] Adomp:id eat my own ass out than eat famous daves

Top Tier Imports

The Foz - The Do All Daily
            « Reply #154 on: July 08, 2017, 08:33 AM »