Author Topic: The Foz - The Do All Daily  (Read 7503 times)

October 25, 2016, 02:24 PM #50

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
  • Reputation Power: 119
  • Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!
Originally posted by jordisonjr
I like the look of the tread on those tires. Looks rather aggressive
Originally posted by Igor
Nice choice of tires.
Tanks! They should fit the bill for the winter. I've never driven the WS80's but I've never read a bad review. And they look good to

Originally posted by Shaun
god ur pics are big

If that's not a compliment, I don't know what is :P Since imgur changed I can't find their BBcode scaling options :/ they used to add a lower case letter somewhere to designate thumbnail, small, medium, large, full. I can't remember though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
'94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
IG: colby_spence
Snap: cspence47

Top Tier Imports

The Foz - The Do All Daily
    « Reply #50 on: October 25, 2016, 02:24 PM »

October 30, 2016, 10:16 PM #51

Colby Offline

• Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!
    Here is a light comparison for the output of the different combinations.

No Light output for an idea of the environment

Just the Running lights alone

Low Beams, Factory HID's

Low Beams, Factory HID's with XML2 Fogs

Low Beams, Factory HID's with High Beams

November 08, 2016, 10:30 PM #52

Colby Offline

Some updated shots in full wintermode. Blizzaks are awaiting snow

November 10, 2016, 12:09 AM #53

Colby Offline

After a handful of research I've plotted a performance path for next year. The goal is to have it all done by spring awakening. Its going to look something like this:

1: Cobb Accessport v3
        2: Mishimoto CAI + Airbox
        3: Grimmspeed 3 Port EBC
        4: Either STi midpipe paired to Nameless Axleback OR full Nameless catback
        5: e/Pro Tune

Im not one to get hyped when an intake says +30HP, because I know thats not necessarily true; however the nitty gritty of the mishimoto setup is pretty solid and seems like a great platform. The intake will honestly be mostly for sound... seriously, listen, it sounds like a jet taking off -

The EBC should level out the boost spike at initial build up and reduce lag.

Getting a tune through the AP should be the easiest part. Stock the FXT's are averaging in around 210WHP 195WTQ from my readings. The CVT will be the only downfall to the car. It is reportedly only good to about 300-320WTQ. With that being said, I hope to get the foz into STI range at about 310HP or 260-270WHP/270 WTQ. With 2 tunes, 91 for daily/highway driving, more reserved of a tune with efficiency in mind. As well as a 94 tune, for days where going fast is fun.

Finally the last peice to the puzzle will be an upgraded rearsway bar and a front strut tower brace to help keep the car tight. As for now, she stays tame and quiet until the spring hits.
        Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:15 AM by Colby

November 10, 2016, 02:38 PM #54

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
          • Reputation Power: 239
          • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
          Originally posted by Colby
          With that being said, I hope to get the foz into STI range at about 310HP or 260-270WHP/270 WTQ. With 2 tunes, 91 for daily/highway driving, more reserved of a tune with efficiency in mind. As well as a 94 tune, for days where going fast is fun.

This seems like it would be a big hassle. My reasoning behind this is as follow...

Tuned for 91 but running 94:
          From my understanding, after some discussion back and forth with Eric @ Torqued Performance, 94 w/ ethanol and 91 w/out ethanol will act differently. If you tune for 91 but decide to run 94 w/ ethanol you will run lean. This is because ethanol has a lower energy output than regular unleaded gasoline and will require more volume to achieve the same amount of energy required to hit a certain power output.

Tuned for 94 but running 91:
          Pretty straightforward here. If you require 94 octane to achieve the required power output but use a lower octane fuel, thus lowering the knock protection, you may cause damage to the engine.

This would mean that you would have to completely drain the gas tank every time you want to switch maps between the two to ensure that you have straight 91 or 94. I know that the stock tune can make adjustments for that 10% ethanol content and adjust timing accordingly but I'm not exactly sure how this works for an aftermarket tune, especially with our open/closed loop fueling system. I'm sure you would be fine just putting around the city but the fuel may be an issue if you decide to get on the throttle.

I might be completely out to lunch on this though... I'm no engineer so take that with a huge grain of salt. Maybe @Nirusan can chime in or maybe someone with more experienced with Subaru's Open/Closed loop fueling system.
          2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
          2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

November 26, 2016, 10:18 PM #55

Colby Offline

Medium Sized Update:

Chatted with @Igor a bit and reached out to a few shops regarding tuning and fuel and stuffs. Have decided to go with BrenTuning, they have hundreds of WRX's and dozens of FXT/WRX CVT's under their belt and are very confident and knowledable in the FA20DIT platform. With that being said, the mods would make The Foz capable of about 310WHP/320WTQ... thats pushing the CVT wayyyyyy to far for daily comfort. At least we know that it will be a very safe and mellow tune (at 260/270) compared to its potential..

I had gotten bored one day and hit up SlickTint and got the front windows done to match the rears. We put on the Nano Ceramic 35% when we finished, he measured the light transmission at 27% for the front and 27% rear.

Went through TougeTuning and Cobb's one sale a year saved a bit on the new Accessport v3. Grimmspeed 3 Port EBCS was ordered at the same time.

Black Friday yielded a Nameless 5" Muffled Axleback, some Red 3/4" D-Ring Shackles, and Daystar Isolators to protect the bumper.

@SubieSTI is hooking me up with his old STI exhaust. Going to be using the STi Midpipe in place of the FXT's. The stock FXT resonator is extremely restrictive, both reducing flow and sound. The STi one should flow alot better and kill any drone. If it ends up being to quiet with the Nameless axles, I can always straight pipe it.

You can see the tint is nice and even here -

After about a month of not washing the car, I finally hit up the loonie wash and cleaned it up. I used the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 when I did the detail in October, never having used a sealant before, I didnt know what to expect compared to wax. This stuff makes washing easy. I was able to essentially rinse off all the dirt and grime that had accumulated. I still did a hand wash to break free the bits of tar and other stubborn contaminants. It was easier than I have ever done before and the soap even was beading on the paint. I cant wait to see the longevity of the stuff. :banana:
            Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:28 PM by Colby

December 10, 2016, 10:08 PM #56

Colby Offline

Earlier this week I sold the Legacy, sad to see it go but it was for the best. I was able to keep my Nardi Wheel and NRG hub atleast :)

After the sale, I went by to @SubieSTI / Bravon's to grab his old OEM STi Catback. Big thanks for the hookup. However, it had a bit of rust on it, so that had to get taken care of... let the snapchats commence

I coated it with VHT Brake and Caliper Clear coat. Seemed to be the best thing to do the job to protect it from more rust down the road. It took about 4 hours at a leisurly pace to do, start to finish. Perhaps a Glavanizing paint should have been used... only time will tell

Today I did my run down to Pembina to grab a bunch of stuff. Amongst it was Daystar D Ring Isolators, Red Hound Auto 3/4 D Ring Shackles, and Nameless Performance Exhaust with 5" Mufflers. When I got back I went straight to the shop to tear down and install. Lots of swearing was had over the constant tesnion bolts at the Midpipe and Cat. Sheared one off, the other was just a bitch to remove. Finally got it all apart and out. The worst thing about working under a vehicle in winter is that you dont stay dry or clean... I was soaked after it was done. Got some new bolts, put the new mid into place, got the mufflers on the hangers. Everything was going smoothly. Went to snug everything up annnnnnd the fitment is off by an inch. Its one or a combination of three things.
              1: The rear hangers are bent in the wrong place.
              2: The STi Mid sits in a different place or isnt bent the exact same
              3: The mounting flanges are off pitch on the Exhaust

So, I found some Extended Hangers at Napa... going to check in the AM to see if anyone has them in the city. That should fix my problem and drop the mufflers an inch, if not... We break out the Oxy-Actelyne and re bend everything or tack on new hangers that will sit taller.

Other than that, I love the look... Right now its vibrating the bumper so it sounds terrible in the cab; but the exhaust note on the outside of the car is pretty mean and refined IMO.

And a 1 Minute sound clip

December 11, 2016, 09:58 PM #57

Colby Offline

Got it all fixed today. Its a temp fix, but im going to run it as long as I can...

It turned out that the 2012-2014 STi Mid has the slightest difference in the Y pip section. It desing rise as high as the 14+, and the flanges are slightly rotated on the new revision. I put some cardboard between the bumper and the exhuast tips to prevent burning or wear. It slightly scuffed the tips so I had to buff that out... ended up doing the entire tip on both sides... they are better than factory. After scouring the internet regarding hangers/isolators and fitment, I came across a part number from Walker that Piston Ring and Napa carry. There were only two of these extended hangers in the city. One at Regent Piston and Main Napa; both are closed till Monday. After chatting with one of the guys at Piston Wall St we came up with an idea to use isolator straps... but he didnt have any. I went over to Napa Ellice and he had a bunch. Grabbed four and went to the shop to make them work.

I ended up cutting off the metal tab, i have no idea what that is supposed to be for. And in my rush to get this done I forgot the power tools at home, and all the shop tools are locked up. ****.

Vise Grips saved the day!!!

I used assorted bits to size up the holes to fit the hangers. And finished with a combo that worked. Turned out the top hangar needed to be closer and the bottom needed to be farther away. Ill be measuring the center to centers and get proper hangers/isolators in the future.

Proper photos and a wash will be done in the near future!

December 12, 2016, 07:39 PM #58

Colby Offline

excuse the dirt -

December 17, 2016, 03:08 PM #59

Colby Offline

December 19, 2016, 09:26 PM #60

Colby Offline

Festive AF

That should be it for updoots for about 2 weeks. Drive safe out there everyone. Happy Holidays

December 28, 2016, 12:51 AM #61

Colby Offline

Went "Stage 1" with Cobb's OTS 91 OCT map. Much more usable power. Linear throttle response. And its supposedly a 10WHP bump and a 25WTQ bump, which should be about 220/250 now. Spins the wheels much easier, wether its the band or the increase of power, I am unsure. Since being able to monitor the vehicle, there is a bunch of stuff that is possibly alarming but I hope to get some answers. DAM at .688 on cold start with a FKL of -2.81. On a 3rd gear pull, I am getting -1.41 at 5000RPM-6000RPM too. But there will be more testing coming up. also hit 20PSI so thats fun too!

December 28, 2016, 08:29 AM #62

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                          • Reputation Power: 196
                          • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                          "DAM at .688 on cold start with a FKL of -2.81. On a 3rd gear pull, I am getting -1.41 at 5000RPM-6000RPM too"

What does this mean? :lol: (Newb question maybe?)
                          Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                          I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

December 28, 2016, 11:49 AM #63

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                            • Reputation Power: 369
                            • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                            Went "Stage 1" with Cobb's OTS 91 OCT map. Much more usable power. Linear throttle response. And its supposedly a 10WHP bump and a 25WTQ bump, which should be about 220/250 now. Spins the wheels much easier, wether its the band or the increase of power, I am unsure. Since being able to monitor the vehicle, there is a bunch of stuff that is possibly alarming but I hope to get some answers. DAM at .688 on cold start with a FKL of -2.81. On a 3rd gear pull, I am getting -1.41 at 5000RPM-6000RPM too. But there will be more testing coming up. also hit 20PSI so thats fun too!
                            Try the ACN map?

December 28, 2016, 12:21 PM #64

Colby Offline

"DAM at .688 on cold start with a FKL of -2.81. On a 3rd gear pull, I am getting -1.41 at 5000RPM-6000RPM too"

What does this mean? :lol: (Newb question maybe?)
                              I am not the best person to ask about this...
                              DAM - Dynamic Advance Multiplier, should be 1 and nothing else - once the vehicle is warmed up to operating temp
                              Fine Knock Learn - should be 0.00 at almost all times with a variation of +/- 1.00 if I understand correctly

On a 3rd gear pull from 2000-6000RPM I am getting knock of -1.41 and that is the motor pulling the timing to prevent detonation.

Either the 91 isnt resistant enough or the map needs revision
                              Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:40 PM by Colby

December 28, 2016, 12:39 PM #65

Colby Offline

Try the ACN map?
                                No ACN map for the FXT's. Stage 0, Stage 1 91, Stage 1 93. Going to try a tank of 94 since the map allows up to E10, will log and return with results

December 28, 2016, 12:46 PM #66

Shaun Offline

• Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                                  No ACN map for the FXT's. Stage 0, Stage 1 91, Stage 1 93. Going to try a tank of 94 since the map allows up to E10, will log and return with results
                                  Was gonna suggest 94 next, although not a great long term solution.

December 28, 2016, 12:46 PM #67

Shaun Offline

The cold temps may have a lot to do with it too.

December 28, 2016, 12:52 PM #68

Colby Offline

Was gonna suggest 94 next, although not a great long term solution.
                                      The cold temps may have a lot to do with it too.
                                      Yea, the temps could have alot to do with it. Ive found hitting target boost is very tricky... But its only had a couple hours of driving, and may still need to learn and trim accordingly. Ive been chatting with Igor and Bren Tuning and the consensus is that our fuel sucks compared to some of the states which be may be the part of cause

December 29, 2016, 11:37 PM #69

Colby Offline

Car has been running great on the COBB OTS 91 map, after much research the consensus is that FKL is allowed is +/- 2.5 Degrees and DAM is allowed to drop but should rebound and cant be persistent. With the FXT only pulling timing at the top end for 100RPM I am pretty happy with everything.

It is really interesting to see how the car maps as it warms up, going from -4.87 FKL and a DAM of .688 all the way to normal 0 and 1 respectively. On stock tune its even worse though, with a lot more leaning of the AFR.

Minor cosmetic enhancement... new bumper step pad - Aluminum to Plastic, more aggressie with better coverage and matches the panda theme - a handful of decals - turbo snail, the world is flat, grocery getter, and a FORESTER door stickers. Photos tomorrow.

also, got hardware and cut out mounting pattern for the girlfriends Rio5 Rally Flaps

December 31, 2016, 06:18 PM #70

Colby Offline

Another Oil Change done, First two changes were at 10,000 and 12,000km. Interval is 10,000. The oil came out pretty ok those last two times. When i got the car, i found a few MR. Lube change reciepts... I hope the owner didnt skimp to much :( However I have been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum which is supposed to have great cleaning properties, and since its been winter this interval was at 8,500kms. It came out black and slightly fuelly. Hopefully its the detergents doing its job, and not any bad wear. Perhaps the DIT's have more blowby on cold starts? Any who, winter intervals are going to be kept short from here on out. Better safe than sorry.

December 31, 2016, 10:23 PM #71

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                                            • Reputation Power: 239
                                            • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                                            If you're really interested in seeing how the oil is doing you could send a sample off for analysis, however, be warned, some stones are better left unturned hahaha.

2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                                            2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

January 19, 2017, 09:02 PM #72

Colby Offline

Happy New Year, everyone. The Foz is alive and doing well, and getting ready for some serious lighting upgrades.

After much debate, I took the plunge and hit up Baja Designs. If anyone is interested after the next few weeks, feel free to hit up Bailey. Great guy, very helpful, and is really good to bounce ideas off of. I'll leave his info below:

Bailey's Contact info: Email: Bailey@bajadesigns.com. Phone: 800-422-5292 ext 114. You can say Colby sent you, he'll do 10% off.

For those unaware of the differences, between a Chinese level bar, a Rough Country/Rigid level bar, and a Baja Bar. Just take a peak at the build quality, the tech, and the ease of service. Im not trying to sell you, but they are unparalleled in design... and price $$$$. The S8, is really good bang for your buck. But the lenses can be swapped, optics changed, cords are moisture sealed... I can go on, do some research on the site - https://www.bajadesigns.com - The Science of Lighting tab is good info.

Anywho, I have ordered a BD OnX6 Dual Control 30" Bar, Driving/Combo. This bar is very versatile, it has  Hi/Low/Strobe Power modes, and individual control of the outside and inside sections.

I have gotten the S2Pro in a Wide/Cornering Lens. This guy will be mounted on the back of the roof rack, pointed towards the ground about 15ft away from the bumper to cast a nice widespread beam to illuminate with tail lights as well as be on switch control.

Finally, Princess Auto special, the "Uni-Bond" LW-6008. They are made under many different names, sold by many places. Nothing to fancy about these guys, but they will make for excellent scene/ditch/camp lights. They will be mounted to the roof rack, underslung to stay out of the way. Pointing towards away from the sides of the vehicle about 15ft as well

Here are the fun numbers, the specs that sets these Bajas apart from everyone else.

OnX6, 30"
                                              Lumens: 22,050 Utilizing 18 Cree LEDs
                                              Wattage/Amps: 175.5W / 15A
                                              Dimensions: 30" x 4.29" x 2.69"
                                              Weight: 11.45 lbs

S2Pro
                                              Lumens: 2,450 Utilizing 2 LEDs
                                              Wattage/Amps: 20W / 1.66A
                                              Dimensions: 2.93" x 1.76" x 1.68"
                                              Weight: 8 ounces

The Uni-Bond
                                              Lumens: 1,260 Utilizing 6 LEDs
                                              Wattage/Amps: 18W / 1.42 A
                                              Dimensions: 6.4" x 2.4" x 1.8"

Along with this, I have drawn up the harnesses. Its all pretty straight forward. The toughest part will be to plasma cam/CNC a switch box to mount somewhere. There is not a lot of dash room in the foz and it has to be a clean install. The rockers, momentary buttons, relays, and fuseholders are all on the way.

While I will have the vehicle apart to work on this I will also be tidying up the previous DRL wiring that I did and adding in blade connectors to allow things to be disconnected. As well as putting everything (DRL wiring, Hella Wiring, the 5 new harnesses) in proper sheathing and tucking it away. Itll be a Saturday project for sure. Install should ideally be done before the 3rd, but thats not going to happen with pick up on the 28th at Pembina. Will update as needed.

Anyone with tips on how to mount a light bar to your bumper beam, feel free to leave a message.

January 20, 2017, 08:42 AM #73

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                                • Reputation Power: 196
                                                • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                                Did you get light bar covers as well? From what I understand you will be ticketed for light bars that don't have covers on them as they're intended for off road use only.
                                                Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                                I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

January 20, 2017, 12:31 PM #74

Colby Offline

Did you get light bar covers as well? From what I understand you will be ticketed for light bars that don't have covers on them as they're intended for off road use only.
                                                  No I did not get any covers. From my knowledge the rear and side lights don't need covers. Only front facing ones, I could be wrong though.

The lightbar is going behind the bumper, in the slot under the grill. I won't be able to fit a cover in there anyways. If it comes to it, I can put some studs through the bumper or something like that, and make a block off plate. I always carry around a Stanley Multipiece tool kit so it won't be an issue to take on and off. I don't see many tickets for lightbars without covers, but they can still get ya if they want...

Maybe make a bracket that hold a nut, so when I don't have a plate on there, it's still clean. Hmm. You got me thinking now

Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:37 PM by Colby

Top Tier Imports

The Foz - The Do All Daily
                                                    « Reply #74 on: January 20, 2017, 12:31 PM »