Author Topic: The Foz - The Do All Daily  (Read 9613 times)

January 20, 2017, 01:48 PM #75

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
behind the grill shouldn't give you any problems, not as noticeable from cops.

And they mostly target trucks when it comes to light bars. The guys with roof bars and big ones on the bumper.

technically, by law they would all need covers when on the road since they aren't DOT/SAE approved, regardless of location. but you shouldn't have problems

Top Tier Imports

The Foz - The Do All Daily
    « Reply #75 on: January 20, 2017, 01:48 PM »

January 28, 2017, 05:47 PM #76

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
    • Reputation Power: 128
    • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
    Ran down to the border today. Freezing rain the entire way down and back. Roads were not the best, however the North Dakota roads and sidewalks were 10x worse. No salt. A couple trucks in the ditch. I picked up the lighting and Switches today. Just need to make a princess auto stop and a bit of plasma cutting and I'll be good to start installing

Ice Build Up, It was a struggle to keep the windshield clear the entire way:

S2 Pro, Wide Driving, This is Reverse Flood Lamp:

Scene Lights, Sold under Heise, Epistar, Uni-Bond and many more:

and the Grand OnX6 Dual Control with a Wide/Combo Beam setup:

Rocker Switches and Momentary Buttons to activate modes on the Onx6:
    '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
    '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
    IG: colby_spence
    Snap: cspence47

February 04, 2017, 01:16 PM #77

Colby Offline

• Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
      TLDR:

Since The 28th I have been prepping the wiring for the switches and finalizing the design for the switch panel. As well as trying to figure out how that light bar will mount... After measureing up the Light bar mounts, I realized that the bar wouldnt fit unless we took .450" off, or slotted/drilled the mounts. It came time to tear apart the front end and take a look at the mounting points. Turned out the headlight housing extended down into my area I was planning on using. I could not use the stock brackets. But I could get the bar in and test fit -

Ok, so brackets wont work. But it fits almost perfect. The mouning point was on a sheetmetal piece, that was slightly raised over the bumper beam. Using a self tapping screw and washers at the back of the bar I was able to make a height adjustable lift to allow the lightbar to be aimed.

For mounts, I had thought to make up a clamp system like we use on the Mills. I call them a Fulcrum Clamp, I dont know what the real name for them is, but it works well.

We Center Drilled, Drill and tapped the bumper beam. Threading in the stud and making up a clamp was next up. With some help on the milling and welding from pops, we cut material, milled a couple slots, test fitted and welded up.

Earlier that day I set up a "booth" for painting. I repainted the Hella Grills. using Primer and Enamel this time. They should stick better. Also did the same for the roof basket brackets and the Light Bar Brackets.

Following this we had booted up the PlasmaCAM. Made the switch panel and roof basket brackets.

We milled in a .06" slot to make it easier to break.

Once I got home, I wrapped and installed the switches and buttons...

That concluded Night #1.

During the next day I painted the brackets and clamps. Reinstalled the Hella grills and started wiring throughtout the day. Once shift ended, It was full on teardown again and install.

It worked on first hookup, albiet I had wired the Amber and the White sections to the wrong switches... After a quick swap in the cab it was all good

Low Beams

Low Beams with Diode Dynamic Fogs

Low, Fogs, Center section of OnX6

Low, Fogs, Full section of OnX6

More to come this week one the roof lights are in and the Bumper gets a bit of trimming

February 04, 2017, 01:36 PM #78

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
        • Reputation Power: 126
        • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
        Wow that looks deadly, much bright, very view, such light! I'm jealous, maybe i should put some high power lights on mine, but they'd have to be in the OEM locations so it looks stealthy.
        BAASSSSSSS
        I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
        My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
        Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

February 04, 2017, 07:00 PM #79

Colby Offline

Originally posted by Ctown8
          Wow that looks deadly, much bright, very view, such light! I'm jealous, maybe i should put some high power lights on mine, but they'd have to be in the OEM locations so it looks stealthy.
          We might be able to stuff a 20" somewhere in yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

February 04, 2017, 11:33 PM #80

John Offline

• Vehicle: 04 civic, 09 STi
            • Reputation Power: 101
            • John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.
            "Let there be light"

anyways, I like it! would love to see it in person
            subies ftw!

[Dec 04 11:42:55] Shaun:i tried using nav to get to dan's logic but i got lost
            [Dec 05 21:53:59] Uncle Hugh Myron:I dunno but an easy way to kill Dan would be shutting down mcdonalds for 24 hours

February 06, 2017, 07:18 PM #81

Colby Offline

Lighting Part Two!

This week I'll be only working on the car an hour or so each day.

Day 1: pigtailed some extensions to the basket lights and mounted them to the brackets. Following that, I zip tied the wires up under the spare tire. The junction in the harness will be there too, so everything is fairly hidden.

That's basically it for now. Tonight I am making the harness that'll be from the engine bay, under the vehicle, up through the hatch, and out onto the roof rack

February 08, 2017, 09:18 PM #82

Colby Offline

Had a nice drive out to Regina, however driving back wasn't fun. 6 hours of blizzard conditions, low visibilty and high winds. Before we left there was 3" of snow in a matter of 2 hours or so at our place -

Monday night I made the harness and gave it an extra 5 feet... just in case. Good thing too, I would have been 5 feet short if I had left it what I guessed 

Tuesday after work, I threw it up on ramps, removed the tail light, and started snaking the wires through.

Essentially the harness drops straight through the bumper, curves around the exhaust shields, up and over the rear subframe, down to the undertray, sanwhiched between the tray and chassis along to the front suspension, snaked around the LCA mounts and up into the engine bay... Success!!!!!  A small amount of dremeling on the tail housing and the undertray and it was in in under an hour. Note to future self: let car thaw and drip dry a few hours before crawling under.

Using a forklift as a makeshift ladder I climbed into the basket and removed the tire to allow room to wire.

All cleaned up, wired in, re locked down. Time to move back to putting the relays and such into the fenders.

No photos but I also cleaned up a bunch of the wiring from the DRL's and the Vent LED's. The bay looks almost OEM with all the extra stuff tucked away.

First fire up outside

Everything worked first try, YAY! for being slow, methodical, and drawing it all out first.

Some final photos. Some extreme HDR'd shots to show the lights

And some actual good photos

Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:30 PM by Colby

February 08, 2017, 09:33 PM #83

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                  • Reputation Power: 86
                  • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
                  Looks pretty damn nice!

February 09, 2017, 03:14 PM #84

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                    • Reputation Power: 247
                    • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                    Looks awesome
                    2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                    2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

February 09, 2017, 05:55 PM #85

Nirusan Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 BMW M2, 2015 Audi S3
                      • Reputation Power: 217
                      • Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!
                      I'm a fan! Great work Colby!
                      [Sep 03 10:56:42] Faken:I wanna be on autters whorefax... Gonna write her off
                      [Sep 03 11:06:48] Faken:If I stuck my pee pee into 100 girls from africa.. I think it will make a difference if u want to sleep with me.
                      [Oct 15 19:20:41] Adomp:id eat my own ass out than eat famous daves

February 14, 2017, 11:28 PM #86

Colby Offline

Had a chance to get out and take some photos to show the throw of the lights:

Low Beams and Fogs - Control Image(These are on for all the tests):

Baja Designs S2 Pro Wide Cornering:

Princess Auto Special sold under 9000 different brands aka Sasquatch Lights (aimed a bit low right now):

Sasquatch and S2:

OnX6 Center Beam:

Onx6 Amber Beams:

Full OnX6:

Everything:

Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:43 AM by Colby

February 15, 2017, 06:44 AM #87

Igor Offline

• Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                          Wow those are bright! Won't have any issues seeing at night now haha.

February 15, 2017, 08:35 AM #88

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                            • Reputation Power: 205
                            • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                            I'm curious where/when you're actually going to use all of these lights?
                            Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                            I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

February 15, 2017, 09:02 AM #89

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                              Holy light, thats amazing!
                              BAASSSSSSS
                              I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                              My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

February 15, 2017, 10:17 AM #90

Colby Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                                Wow those are bright! Won't have any issues seeing at night now haha.

Thanks Ted Mosby! It makes stock lighting look terrible when I turn the light bar off

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                                I'm curious where/when you're actually going to use all of these lights?

The side lights will be used for camping or perhaps helping someone who is stuck.

The rear is obvious, backing up in scenarios where the stock bulbs in the tails won't cut it.

The bar, I make the drive to Regina every two weeks in the dark. There is lots of time where you are alone or isolated from oncoming traffic and the extra light helps with bad visibility and animals. In the summer, I drive up to the cabin on gravel roads. Lots of wildlife and no room for error on a road that's 1.5 times wider than the vehicle.

I agree that a lot of pavement queens, will never need their bars enough to justify them, and I could probably do without. But I'd rather be prepared for anything. Plus, it's not a battle wagon without lights!!!

Originally posted by Ctown8
                                Holy light, thats amazing!

All the lumens!

February 15, 2017, 10:20 AM #91

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                  • Reputation Power: 205
                                  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                  Makes sense. I wasn't trying to speak ill of it, was just curious what it'll be used for.
                                  Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                  I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

February 15, 2017, 11:11 AM #92

Colby Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                                    Makes sense. I wasn't trying to speak ill of it, was just curious what it'll be used for.
                                    Didn't come across that way at all. S'all good

February 15, 2017, 11:50 AM #93

Igor Offline

@dan forget about your HIDs and just do this.

February 15, 2017, 03:56 PM #94

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 10
                                        • dan has no influence.
                                        Originally posted by Igor
                                        @dan forget about your HIDs and just do this.
                                        Where in gods name would i put them!?

February 26, 2017, 01:08 AM #95

Colby Offline

Picked up and installed the Morimoto XB LED's (Type S) today. First impressions:

Well built, solid unit with easy installation
                                          Packaged nicely
                                          Light output is to be desired

They are noticeably brighter and more useable than stock fog lamps, yet nowhere near as bright as the Diode Dynamic XML2 bulbs. Measured output is 600 Lumens vs. 1420 Lumens per bulb.

Reason for changing from the stock housing and high powered LED is a few things:

Glarey
                                          Multi-Reflector Halogen housings are not designed for LED's, the beam is not the same as a halogen bulb
                                          A ton of wasted light

Without further ado, here are the pics of the afternoon:

Rolled into the shop. You can kind of see the glare from the Fogs, not really noticeable in a photo but it threw a ton of light vertically. The roads were slush

Light output, you can see the amount of lost light towards the roof

The Morimoto unboxing:

For those who dont have me on snap, 1/27 for Roll Up the Rim. This round sucks.

To the Install. Pull out the for bezels. Put the car up on ramps, pulled out 5 plastic pop-clips and 1 bolt per side. Dropped the under tray around the fog lamp and had full access to the housings. A 10mm bolt and a phillips screw-pop-clip and the OEM fog lamps were free!

Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 01:14 AM by Colby

February 26, 2017, 01:08 AM #96

Colby Offline

OEM Housing/XML2 Bulb/XB LED

XB LED Output. You can see the sharp cut off and zero glare

Following that I fixed the pinstripe in the front, it must have gotten rock chipped. Also added one to the rear to see how it'll look. Decided to keep it for a while

Some parkade photos

and a pupper, not mine but a family member is babysitting him

Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 01:15 AM by Colby

February 26, 2017, 01:26 AM #97

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
                                              • Reputation Power: 174
                                              • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                                              Did you order those LED housings online?

Also, how tf do you drink 27 Tim Horton's coffees and die from dysentery.

You gotta up that coffee game boiii
                                              (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

February 26, 2017, 10:01 PM #98

Colby Offline

Originally posted by Vince
                                                Did you order those LED housings online?

Also, how tf do you drink 27 Tim Horton's coffees and die from dysentery.

You gotta up that coffee game boiii

Got these through Tom at WinnipegHID. Would have cost more to do online/states run. Supporting local/Canadian when I can and when it makes sense :)

I've been trying to up my coffee game. I'm stuck on pleb-level

February 27, 2017, 09:24 AM #99

Ctown8 Offline

They dont look nearly as bright as the LED's but the cutoff line looks good af.
                                                  BAASSSSSSS

Top Tier Imports

The Foz - The Do All Daily
                                                    « Reply #99 on: February 27, 2017, 09:24 AM »