Author Topic: The Foz - The Do All Daily  (Read 6611 times)

February 27, 2017, 12:17 PM #100

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!
Originally posted by Ctown8
They dont look nearly as bright as the LED's but the cutoff line looks good af.
The cut off is beautiful. Now only if they can make a housing that has these optics but can use any bulb...

They aren't as bright no, but a lot of that brightness was wasted. They are almost the same output on the road, where it counts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
'94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
IG: colby_spence
Snap: cspence47

Top Tier Imports

The Foz - The Do All Daily
    « Reply #100 on: February 27, 2017, 12:17 PM »

February 28, 2017, 10:29 AM #101

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
    • Reputation Power: 104
    • Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.
    Originally posted by Colby
    The cut off is beautiful. Now only if they can make a housing that has these optics but can use any bulb...

They aren't as bright no, but a lot of that brightness was wasted. They are almost the same output on the road, where it counts

That is what counts!
    BAASSSSSSS
    I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
    My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
    Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

February 28, 2017, 04:14 PM #102

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
      • Reputation Power: 64
      • #StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!
      #lightgoalsAF

frig I love Baja Designs lights. So epic.

March 11, 2017, 12:21 AM #103

Colby Offline

• Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!
        Off Topic Post:

My pops was going to tims to grab coffee and an undercover unit was sitting in the lot and was pulling over every vehicle with aftermarket auxillary lights. After getting read the riot act on how he is an unsafe person and could be issued a ticket and have his vehicle impounded... he designed a cover for his lamps that can be remotely actuated and complies with the polices edition of the HTA, which does not state that covers are allowed. It says all aux lighting is illegal and with no mentions of covers are an acceptable work around. It seems that the WPS and the HTA are two different sets of rules. He was running these for 6 years with no issues.

Anywho. we started by making the "paddles"

after bouncing some ideas around we had to do the final hole before we got to test fitting

While he drilled and reamed the last bit, I cut the material for the bearing brackets

Drill + Tap

Wonderful, we were ripping through it and making progress... time2test

I came to the point that, as the paddle arcs along its path, there will not be enough clearance between the ID and the OD of the lamp and they won't work... Time to mill out material to alow a free flowing arc

Did that and cleaned them up. Test fit #2 looked good for the paddles. I also realized that the brackets wouldnt clear the roof enough, I cut more material for spacers. Dad got the Mig out and started welding them up

After everything was tacked and looking good, we hmmm'd and hawww'd about the actuator. How to do the cleanest and simplest install. Another coffee break and we had an idea. A bit more metal fab and welding and it was all mechanically hooked up.

]

The actuator has about 125ft/lbs of torque and can open and close the paddles at highway speeds. If I ever have trouble from those who Enforce and Collecterrr, Serve and Protect, I may have to make a system for the Foz. Hopefully that day doesnt come.

March 26, 2017, 06:26 PM #104

Colby Offline

TLDR: Turn off all other software when updating AccessPort

Welp, Ive found out the hard way that you can brick an ECU as seen here

The morning after I screwed the pooch, I had a few calls and emails with Cobb. They were quick to respond and helpful with all resources and chances to fix the ECU without having to send it away. Unfortunately there was no other option but to send it to them.

The Eyesight system in the USDM FXT and US marketed WRX/ WRX STI (Canadian WRX and STI dont have eyesight) is very tempermental to key in and key out sequences. What I believe has happened is this.

Running AP Manager and VMWare with Windows in background, I had gone too update my AP. Upon Firmware Flash and reboot VMWare prompted to connect to windows or mac - ***VMWare has to be off for all AP updates***. Which interrupted AP Managers update sequence. That corrupted the AP Firmware and it has to be removed from the computer and replugged in. AP Manager goes into Recovery mode to reflash the AP's Firmware. When it flashes the firmware it loads the base version. So, instead of auto updating with all the latest and greatest it goes back to v1. Even if you recover and get the AP back and working AND you hit update it will show that there are no updates to be had. AP Manager for some reason doesnt re-check after re-flash. If you go to use the AP to Flash your Map in your Eyesight equipped vehicle, it has a high chance to brick the ECU.

So, I had to strip the AP and the ECU from the foz, luckily the latest gen of cars have the ECU easily accessible in the Engine bay with a 10 mm socket. Two acorn nuts and three wiring harness connections later its out in under 60 seconds. I shipped it off to Cobb in Texas. Canada Post 5 Day Express. Got there in 4, WooHoo!. Arrived on Thursday at noon, Cobb had the ECU all fixed, packaged, and shipped by Friday at Noon. They have sent it with UPS 2 Day, unfortunately its Business Days; its currently in Louisville, Kentucky and scheduled for delivery on Tuesday.

Next Upgrade for the Forester will be summer setup.

Ill be haggling with Kaltire for some tires. We shall see how it goes.

Yokohama Geolandar G015 - 235/65 R17
          Method Race Wheels Rally - MR501 - 17x8 et42 - Titanium

More to come in a few weeks!

March 27, 2017, 11:49 PM #105

Colby Offline

I ordered the new summer setup this weekend. Should be on By April 8th or on Easter weekend. I may have to do some spacers to make it feel a bit more aggressive, although im worried about chipping the fenders/quarter panels from debris

March 28, 2017, 08:31 AM #106

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
              • Reputation Power: 179
              • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
              Those are some aggressive tires! Should look good. Nice to see a subaru build that isn't just hella horns and an invidia exhaust :lol:
              Originally posted by Madbuzz41
              I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

March 28, 2017, 10:11 AM #107

Colby Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                Those are some aggressive tires! Should look good. Nice to see a subaru build that isn't just hella horns and an invidia exhaust :lol:
                Thanks Colin! This is like no other build locally... if you don't count the Hellas and the Nameless/STi exhaust, haha

Next mini project is redesigning the hatch area. I have to pull the spare tire and dimension the area that I have. I'll be building in a sub box, amp rack, as well as making cargo/tool dividers... there will also be a pull out table and it will all double as a sleeping platform. There's a bit of planning to go as how to make it all work but I'm sure I'll figure it out in a few days.

Do you have any recommendations on how to waterproof wood by chance?

March 28, 2017, 10:13 AM #108

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.
                  Originally posted by Colby
                  Thanks Colin! This is like no other build locally... if you don't count the Hellas and the Nameless/STi exhaust, haha

Next mini project is redesigning the hatch area. I have to pull the spare tire and dimension the area that I have. I'll be building in a sub box, amp rack, as well as making cargo/tool dividers... there will also be a pull out table and it will all double as a sleeping platform. There's a bit of planning to go as how to make it all work but I'm sure I'll figure it out in a few days.

Do you have any recommendations on how to waterproof wood by chance?

use a high ply birch, its lightweight and strong, then use a sealer on it, you can even use it to make your woofer enclosure!
                  BAASSSSSSS
                  I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                  My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

March 28, 2017, 07:59 PM #109

Colby Offline

Got the ECU and AP back today. Plugged it in, the car read it and fired right up with a slight hesitation from not being ran in two and a half weeks. I went for a boot around the block so it could do some small adjustments, warm up and give the battery a kick. I verified that everything was fully updated this time and went to marry the AP to the ECU and flash stage 1 OTS.... I hooked it up to a battery charger and fed it on "supply". Went to flash and... Communication Error. @#$&@%#^@&@& the Flash failed and the ECU was bricked again. Ok. atleast I was smart enough to do this at home this time. I attempted the recovery mode.... lo and behold, it recovered! I did some reading and found out that a comm error is common after a bricking or even just not having the key in/out sequence perfect. I unmarried and tried it again. This time it worked and I am now back to Stage 1. WooHoo!

DiscountTire called me. My methods arent in stock with them or Method... at least a 2 month wait. Wonderful... I have changed from the MR501's to the MR502's. The 501's are more of a street style where the 502's are straight up rally and gravel. They will do a better job of hiding the hubs and brakes. Plus, they are offset at +38 instead of +42, so they will poke a bit more :)

Here they are:

Originally posted by Ctown8
                    use a high ply birch, its lightweight and strong, then use a sealer on it, you can even use it to make your woofer enclosure!

Who do you normally get this stuff from? Windsor, Home Depot, Rona??
                    Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:02 PM by Colby

March 28, 2017, 10:33 PM #110

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                      • Reputation Power: 230
                      • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                      glad to see you didn't brick your ecu again! Guess you have no choice but to enter it in the ojibwe forest rally.
                      2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                      2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

March 29, 2017, 12:52 AM #111

me0wzas Offline

• Vehicle: 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5x
                        • Reputation Power: 1
                        • me0wzas has no influence.
                        Nice setup on the wheels and tires.  What size rim did you decide to go with?  I'm liking the Sparco Terras but can't decide between the 16" or 17".  I'd like to go with 17" wheels, but the choices in all terrain tires are limited unless I raise the forester with a kit.

March 29, 2017, 08:01 AM #112

Colby Offline

Originally posted by me0wzas
                          Nice setup on the wheels and tires.  What size rim did you decide to go with?  I'm liking the Sparco Terras but can't decide between the 16" or 17".  I'd like to go with 17" wheels, but the choices in all terrain tires are limited unless I raise the forester with a kit.
                          17x8 +38

15" and 16" wheels don't clear XT brakes from my knowledge. I think you could go 15" if you had the option. Usually lifting on these vehicles doesn't change the size of tire unless you are going 4" lift or more

April 07, 2017, 01:20 PM #113

Colby Offline

Picked up le wheels last night. I actually love them. I wasn't sold on them from internet photos and they were out of the ones that I initially liked and picked so these were the runner ups.

Last Night I sealed them to protect from and tar or contaminants. I may look into doing some Ceramic coating mid summer.

Picked these up from Discount Tire Direct. Best price around. Good service. But **** UPS.

There wasn't a single box that didn't have any damage. 2 wheels had nicks in the inner lip. The one shown is particularly bad. The box is wrecked. Can't trust anyone to do their job with dignity these days.

Tires have arrived in Winnipeg. Will be getting everything mounted and balanced on Monday.

Will update next week

April 07, 2017, 10:23 PM #114

Igor Offline

• Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                              Thanks UPS

April 10, 2017, 11:59 PM #115

Colby Offline

Well, post shift we brought in the vehicles and went to work. Todays project, Swap over summers on the Forester and install Gooseneck Hitch on dads truck (F250 Super Duty). We decided to do the truck first, since it will be the tougher of the two jobs.

Purchased on E-trailer. It was proclaimed a direct bolt on, with no mods... uh huh... sure.

Upon reading these particuler instructions and multiple other goosenecks we amassed a bunch of tricks that were of much use. They were all modifications or extra instructions that werent mentioned...

There were brackets in the way that wernt supposed to be there... according to e-trailers instructions. In short, the two hour install became 4.5 with milling to modify their main brackets due to misplaced holes... oh and lots of zip disks/grinding

By the way, we practice safety. We used 2 straps!!!

And the Final Outcome

The Foz took 30 minutes to swap 4 summers over, install the center caps and do a quick check up. It will need new rotors and pads all around in about 20,000km's which will be the next tire rotation.

Here are the first few photos, everything is dirty, muddy, dusty, and still goopy from the tire install.

The fitment is "flush". There is no poke and no sunkeness... Maybe a 10mm spacer ould make it look meaty-er.

Tomorrow I'll be swapping the roof basket tire, as well as we are installing an Airbag Leveling Kit on the rear of the truck for hauling. I think its an extra 5000lb capacity. #bagged

Better photos to come in a week or so

April 11, 2017, 08:28 AM #116

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                  • Reputation Power: 179
                                  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                  Any issues with rubbing up front? Looks pretty tight. Time2lift
                                  Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                  I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

April 11, 2017, 10:29 AM #117

Igor Offline

Looks sick Colby.

April 11, 2017, 10:47 AM #118

Colby Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                                      Any issues with rubbing up front? Looks pretty tight. Time2lift
                                      Actually, they are the same size as the blizzaks, 235/65R17. The Blizzaks rub and these don't.

They will upon 4-5" of compression but other than that, they fit fine with no issues. Or perhaps the winters grooved my fender liners enough that it fits perfect now... hmmm

Anywho, I wouldn't go a size up. Atleast on a daily

There is still a lift planned. I'm just way to busy to make it at the moment

April 12, 2017, 09:04 AM #119

Colby Offline

Summer Mode:

April 12, 2017, 09:18 AM #120

Ctown8 Offline

oooh beauty shots as always Colby!!
                                          BAASSSSSSS

April 19, 2017, 12:03 AM #121

Colby Offline

This week we bagged Dads F250. It now has an extra hauling capacity of 5000lbs. Installation of the brackets while following the instructions was ****ty, doing it our way required a bit of zip disking but it was flawless and fast.

I have a few free hours this week and decided to start the hatch project. My jigsaw and straight-edge-clamp-a-ma-jig is at work... no cuts tonight -

Inspiration - http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/6687562-post414.html

I layed out the protective cover to see if i had enough spare wood kicking around.

I sure did, I removed the fitted carpeted cover and did a good tracing

From an idea from a member over on subaruforester.org forums, I am adding in a table.

I also have to incorporate some head rests for pillows and junk. They will hang from the front seats

Thats it for tonight

April 19, 2017, 11:59 AM #122

Ctown8 Offline

Woo audio next! :)
                                              BAASSSSSSS

April 20, 2017, 11:11 PM #123

Colby Offline

Last night I cut out the head rests and table. The hatch I rough cut.

After work today I went straight to the barn and went to work.

Dad helped with routering/round over-ing the edges since I have no experience with doing that.

Turns out our belt sander was out of belts... luckily the palm sander was free

First up were the Headrests. I mis-measured and mis-cut the straps for hanging... Ill have to re-buy the strapping in the future

After some more measuring and a handful of more cuts everything was ready for assembly!

The new tray fits like a glove, even with my shotty woodworking skills

The table works decently... using an telescoping Ikea leg, it makes for an easy collapsable setup

Next week will be further progress on the hatch tray. Slotting it, making a hinge/prop system, cargo dividers, and storage for the table and headrests.

I am also wanting to stain all the pieces. What colour should I go with?

Im thinkin the Red Chestnut, or something similar. The tray is the always going to be visible so I dont want to go wrong.

April 21, 2017, 08:25 AM #124

Igor Offline

red chestnut or dark walnut!

Top Tier Imports

The Foz - The Do All Daily
                                                    « Reply #124 on: April 21, 2017, 08:25 AM »